Can the Church Survive Without God's Word?

Can the church survive without God's word?

• Yes.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ohh so God sent an angel (a holy mail man) to deliver the Bible so that it wouldn't get damaged by falling out of heaven. Now I get it!

"Storks, Babies, Bibles, and Mailmen: the Essentials of Delivery from a Reformed Perspective." :D

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only way the Bible would be gone is if God permitted it. So yes.

Jesus said, Heaven and Earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

I believe Jesus.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Storks, Babies, Bibles, and Mailmen: the Essentials of Delivery from a Reformed Perspective." :D

Is the Bible called the "holey bible" or is it called the "HOLY Bible"?
Do you believe the Bible to have errors within it?
If so, what parts have errors?
If there are errors in the Bible, who gets to decide what parts are true and not true?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only if you elect in, I suppose.

I am not Calvinist and yet I believe Sola Scriptura makes a lot of sense.
Jesus warned against the traditions of man and how they violate God's Word.
I can pretty much say how this is true of church traditions today.
Of course, my hands are tied on this in saying so publicly on the forums. So I would have to do so only by PM if a person is seeking the truth on such a thing.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the Bible called the "holey bible" or is it called the "HOLY Bible"?
Do you believe the Bible to have errors within it?
If so, what parts have errors?
If there are errors in the Bible, who gets to decide what parts are true and not true?

If you go through the 4 gospels, there are differences in the accounts of some of the things that happened. I believe there are similar occurrences in the old testament as well in some of the books about the kings. But there are no blatant contradictions about God's positions on matters that I am aware of.

Upvote 0

Shimokita

Apr 9, 2019
PA
✟17,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some in my other thread have begun to argue that the Bible is not strictly necessary. They said that if all the Bibles in the world were destroyed, the church would still survive. Could the church survive without God's word?

I think this question gets to the heart of the relationship between God's word and God's church. Catholics and EOs are wont to say: "Jesus didn't just leave us a Bible, he left us a church." They also want to say that the Bible and the church have an equal authority and even that the church wrote the Bible! In the Catholic and EO view, it sometimes seems to be the case that it's really the church that is most important, and the Bible is just a book that the church wrote.

But what would the church be without the word of God? Isn't it the word of God that creates and continually recreates the church? Isn't it the word of God that sustains the church? Isn't it the word of God that sanctifies the church and teaches the church?

Without the word of God, the church might still function in some traditional sense. It might go on to ordain bishops, sprinkle babies, lift up crackers to heaven and break them, etc. It might even have an unbroken line of ordination succession that can be traced back to the apostles! But without the word of God, the ministry of the church would not be able to help or save anybody. The church would become a dead institution that is utterly indistinguishable from the world.

Isn't this what happened to Israel in the time of Hosea? Though they were circumcised and had maintained certain Jewish traditions, they had become "Lo-Ammi" - not my people. Without God's word, we are not his people and he is not our God.
Interesting question. Precisely what do you consider to be God’s word? The English language NIV or KJV that is on your desk? The originally written manuscripts that were hand written by the various authors of the Bible, and which no longer exist? The compilations of Greek and Hebrew manuscripts that are compiled from non-exact copies of the original works, the earliest non-exact copies themselves dating several hundred years after the originals, and varying with each other at numerous locations?

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting question. Precisely what do you consider to be God’s word? The English language NIV or KJV that is on your desk? The originally written manuscripts that were hand written by the various authors of the Bible, and which no longer exist? The compilations of Greek and Hebrew manuscripts that are compiled from non-exact copies of the original works, the earliest non-exact copies themselves dating several hundred years after the originals, and varying with each other at numerous locations?

Are you implying that the Bible does not have divine properties?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the word ;)

Not a new Christian here. You should be aware that the Bible speaks of "the Word" as Jesus at certain times and other times it refers to Scripture. It depends on the context. In other words, the Bible has many homonyms within it.

The Word = Jesus:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1).

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." (1 John 5:7).

The Word = Scripture:

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).

23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." (1 Peter 1:23-25).

"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2).

"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts" (2 Peter 1:19).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him" (1 John 2:5).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The reason I asked is that the logical implication is that without the Bible no one can be saved, and if no one is being saved then the Church will die out.
It seems many (not you) are caught up on differentiating The Divine Logos and His written revealed Words.

Logic is a good approach as long as we consider the facts.

God has revealed Himself throughout human History. We have His Divine revelation in Holy Scriptures. Is it a comprehensive revelation? Probably not but it is what He wanted us to know of His Divine Purpose of Redemption and to Glorify His Works.

This Divine Revelation of God to mankind His creation we can find in Holy Scriptures. It’s no mistake His words and the events surrounding His revelation and miracles have survived generation after generation. That’s a fact we need to acknowledge as the created.

As I said in another post...If we want to know the revelation of God to mankind, the teachings of the law, prophets, The Divine Logos Jesus Christ, and His Apostles, what is the greatest source of this Divine Truth? Inspired Holy Scriptures.

Some will say the answer is the Church which is the Body of Christ. They would not be far off as the Church should be the pillar and ground of truth. The Church should be upholding the very Divine Revelation God gave us.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Not a problem for me. The Cambridge circa 1900 King James is the perfect Word of God for our day. English is the world language and so it makes sense God would have preserved His Word in the world language of our day. I can even prove it.

Just check out the evidences in my blogger article here:

Love Branch: Evidences for the Word of God

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a new Christian here. You should be aware that the Bible speaks of "the Word" as Jesus at certain times and other times it refers to Scripture. It depends on the context. In other words, the Bible has many homonyms within it.

The Word = Jesus:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1).

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." (1 John 5:7).

The Word = Scripture:

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).

23 "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." (1 Peter 1:23-25).

"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2).

"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts" (2 Peter 1:19).

"But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him" (1 John 2:5).

I am quite aware. I thought you would appreciate the layers. I guess I thought wrong. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The parts that the translators of the Cambridge edition of the KJV mistranslated. ;)

Not the 1900 circa Cambridge Edition KJV.
There are no errors in God's Word, unless you think God preserves His Word that has errors within it.
I mean we have a God who perfectly holds together the universe with fine tune precision.
Do you really think He would not provide a perfect Word for us today?
For if there are errors in God's Word, then what makes me trust the rest of it in not being error?
It's either all true, or it's all false. You cannot pick and choose which words to believe in the Bible.
Man's heart is deceitful and desperately wicked.
Only God's words are pure (Well, that is if you believe the Bible when it says that).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For...

full

Proverbs 30:5

Upvote 0

TechyinAZ

Sep 2, 2018
Flagstaff
✟17,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
I said no on the poll because I don't believe the bible will ever go away because God gave us His word, and He's not going to take it away from us unless A. For some GOOD reason that God does not want to make known to us or B. We receive something that is to succeed the bible itself.

From what I've seen in scripture, the bible is going nowhere. I do not believe we will ever see a world where all bibles are destroyed. Because God is in control of all things.

So could the church live without the bible? Sure, but there would be no point to that ever happening. God's will is for us to use His word as a guide to life itself. As I said above, of course God could use another way that isn't the bible to share His Word with us. But again, I don't think that'll ever happen.

Upvote 0