Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Really disappointing that none of the brothers who believe salvation is for keeps has not provided even one scripture in support.

Let's look at your reference to the warning to believers about the consequences of falling away. According to you, the warning was not meant to scare but to keep us "sober-minded and clear-headed".

Let me ask you a simple question: if there is zero chance of a saved believer falling away (depart from Christ), what then was the point of the warning? Why was it necessary? Can you warn a 1yr old baby not to climb the apple tree in the garden lest he falls off the branches? Of course, you wouldn't because such a warning is unnecessary since the toddler is barely able to walk without falling much less climbing a tree. So where there is a warning in the bible, then it is possible that the object of the warning can happen.

I, therefore, put it to you that the warning about falling away was necessary because the Lord knew that some believers will reject him and turn back to the world. In an earlier post, I cited a couple of examples of those working with Paul who turned away from the Gospel (1 Tim 1:19-20 & 2Tim 1:15)

You seem to have misunderstood my position, my apologies if my position wasn't clear in my post.

I don't believe in "once saved always saved", at least not in the Calvinistic sense. It is absolutely possible for Christians to fall away, that's why Scripture warns us of the danger of falling away.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are differing views on salvation.

Some Christians believe that once saved, one cannot lose salvation. IOW, they believe that eternal life is guaranteed. On the flip side, there are those that believe that even though we are saved, we still have the risk of losing our and eternal life if we fail to abide in Christ until the end of our mortal life.

What is your position on this topic? Kindly support your case with relevant scriptures.

Yes, Hebrews 6 about those who turn away from Christ after they had been once enlightened, and tasted of the heavenly gift for proof of the world to come.

Heb 6:4-9
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
KJV

2 Thessalonians 2 is a specific warning about those who fall away to the coming "man of sin" (i.e., the coming pseudo-Christ that is to proclaim himself as God in Jerusalem for the end of this present world). Paul called that event of deception by those who fall away to that false one as "strong delusion". It's because they will worship the man of sin in place of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Any brother/sister believer on my Lord Jesus Christ that is not aware of that coming danger of deception to the pseudo-Christos that Jesus warned us of, is in DANGER by not being aware of that coming event at the end of this world. This is why I keep bringing the matter up on forums like these, trying to get brethren in Christ to wake up to Lord Jesus' and His Apostle's warnings about that event at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting remarks indeed. It's unfortunate you couldn't back this view with any scripture. Another question for you: since we are "saved" not by "our efforts", how do you explain why unbelievers remain unsaved? Is God partial by choosing who to save and ignore?

May I suggest that you talk to your minister about his teaching methods as he has not taught you basic Christianity.
you appear ignorant of John 3:16+18, of Eph 2:8+9, Rom8:29 etc etc etc

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Joel Osteen believes that he is. He's prayed the sinner's prayer and asked Jesus into his heart. Doesn't that make him a born again Christian? Or does it??

Seriously...

There is an instruction in 2 John, and I think by Paul that whoever professes Christ and does not live according to the Gospel, believers should not have fellowship with them at all. Doesn't that require some level of judging? Therefore if I encounter a professing Christian who is having an adulterous affair, am I not permitted to make a judgment of him and not to have fellowship with him? Am I not permitted to tell him to examine himself to see if he is really in the faith, because of his sin he may be on the road to Hell?
The point is, it's not up to you. It's up to God.

If I encounter a denomination of christians that seem to be practicing wicca in Jesus name, but everything looks fine on the surface, should I actually say something to them?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There are differing views on salvation.

Some Christians believe that once saved, one cannot lose salvation. IOW, they believe that eternal life is guaranteed. On the flip side, there are those that believe that even though we are saved, we still have the risk of losing our and eternal life if we fail to abide in Christ until the end of our mortal life.

What is your position on this topic? Kindly support your case with relevant scriptures.

There is so much erroneous and unscriptural doctrine in this thread, only @ViaCrucis seems to have a grasp on this topic, which is a shame, because in the past when debates on OSAS have occurred, we have seen a much more vigorous response from traditional Christians who base their faith on the Bible and the deposit of faith handed down from the Apostles.

So, contrary to those who have cited St. Paul the Apostle as the basis for OSAS, that is in fact eisegesis, because the same Apostle warned repeatedly about the dangers of falling away:

1 Corinthians 9:27 (RSV): “I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”

1 Corinthians 10:12: “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.”

Galatians 5:1: “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.”

Galatians 5:4: “You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.”

Philippians 3:8-14: “Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, based on law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith; that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

1 Timothy 4:1: “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.”

The only actual doctrinal question is whether or not the Protestant concept of Conditional Security is valid. This idea we see in Luther, Melancthon, and Wesley. I can’t answer that question, but I also don’t think it to be particularly important, since the effect of Conditional Security and belief in the possibility of Apostasy, is the same.

Since the ways of God are inscrutable, and His mercy is arbitrary, for our Lord declares “I will have mercy on who I will have mercy,” I think it is always presumptuous for us to assume our own salvation.

Indeed, the early church did not, and this is why Prayer for the Dead is endorsed by the early church fathers, the Book of Tobit, which is accepted by several traditional Protestant churches as canonical and is read in the church, for example, in the Anglican tradition, and CS Lewis would all encourage us to do what our Eastern Orthodox brethren such as @HTacianas , @prodromos and @GreekOrthodox do, as well as our Oriental Orthodox brethren such as @dzheremi @Pavel Mosko and others, and our Assyrian brethren, and our high church Anglican brethren, and our Roman Catholic brethren (who contrary to popular belief, profess correct doctrine in almost all cases; I disagree with them only insofar as I believe that all bishops should be equal, that in the antiquity the Bishop of Rome is clearly Primus Inter Pares, and not Primus Sine Paribus, and the reason for objecting to Papal Supremacy is the damage reckless Popes have done in the past, and a particularly reckless Pope is doing at present, but I digress. The important thing is that intercessionary prayer for the dead is important and efficacious; I don’t believe in Purgatory but rather in the Orthodox view that prayer for the dead can improve the soteriological outcome of the subject of the prayer, by asking God to have mercy, for example, on a dear friend of mine who was baptized as a Catholic but died as a Freemason and a Comparative Religionist.

So yes, like CS Lewis, I am going to pray for these people.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is so much erroneous and unscriptural doctrine in this thread, only @ViaCrucis seems to have a grasp on this topic, which is a shame, because in the past when debates on OSAS have occurred, we have seen a much more vigorous response from traditional Christians who base their faith on the Bible and the deposit of faith handed down from the Apostles.

So, contrary to those who have cited St. Paul the Apostle as the basis for OSAS, that is in fact eisegesis, because the same Apostle warned repeatedly about the dangers of falling away:

1 Corinthians 9:27 (RSV): “I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.”

1 Corinthians 10:12: “Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.”

Galatians 5:1: “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast, therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.”

Galatians 5:4: “You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.”

Philippians 3:8-14: “Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, based on law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith; that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

1 Timothy 4:1: “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.”

The only actual doctrinal question is whether or not the Protestant concept of Conditional Security is valid. This idea we see in Luther, Melancthon, and Wesley. I can’t answer that question, but I also don’t think it to be particularly important, since the effect of Conditional Security and belief in the possibility of Apostasy, is the same.

Since the ways of God are inscrutable, and His mercy is arbitrary, for our Lord declares “I will have mercy on who I will have mercy,” I think it is always presumptuous for us to assume our own salvation.

Indeed, the early church did not, and this is why Prayer for the Dead is endorsed by the early church fathers, the Book of Tobit, which is accepted by several traditional Protestant churches as canonical and is read in the church, for example, in the Anglican tradition, and CS Lewis would all encourage us to do what our Eastern Orthodox brethren such as @HTacianas , @prodromos and @GreekOrthodox do, as well as our Oriental Orthodox brethren such as @dzheremi @Pavel Mosko and others, and our Assyrian brethren, and our high church Anglican brethren, and our Roman Catholic brethren (who contrary to popular belief, profess correct doctrine in almost all cases; I disagree with them only insofar as I believe that all bishops should be equal, that in the antiquity the Bishop of Rome is clearly Primus Inter Pares, and not Primus Sine Paribus, and the reason for objecting to Papal Supremacy is the damage reckless Popes have done in the past, and a particularly reckless Pope is doing at present, but I digress. The important thing is that intercessionary prayer for the dead is important and efficacious; I don’t believe in Purgatory but rather in the Orthodox view that prayer for the dead can improve the soteriological outcome of the subject of the prayer, by asking God to have mercy, for example, on a dear friend of mine who was baptized as a Catholic but died as a Freemason and a Comparative Religionist.

So yes, like CS Lewis, I am going to pray for these people.

Sir, I am encouraged to read your exegesis and learn that among the popular but erroneous beliefs by a large section of Christians that salvation is a get-out-of-hell-free-card, there remains a few who truly understand the scriptural position on the subject.

Those who promote the falsehood that "once saved forever saved" is taught in the bible hate to be corrected. But we should be brave in pointing out the error of such a view in the hope that some may take correction.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have misunderstood my position, my apologies if my position wasn't clear in my post.

I don't believe in "once saved always saved", at least not in the Calvinistic sense. It is absolutely possible for Christians to fall away, that's why Scripture warns us of the danger of falling away.

-CryptoLutheran

Thanks for the clarity. My apologies too for quoting you out of context.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Sir, I am encouraged to read your exegesis and learn that among the popular but erroneous beliefs by a large section of Christians that salvation is a get-out-of-hell-free-card, there remains a few who truly understand the scriptural position on the subject.

Those who promote the falsehood that "once saved forever saved" is taught in the bible hate to be corrected. But we should be brave in pointing out the error of such a view in the hope that some may take correction.

Thank you my friend. I am encouraged by your adherence to the scriptural doctrine upheld by the early Church and by the great non-Calvinist Protestant reformers like Luther, Melancthon and Wesley, that we can fall away.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

If I encounter a denomination of christians that seem to be practicing wicca in Jesus name, but everything looks fine on the surface, should I actually say something to them?

Yes! Because that would be blasphemous cacodoxy. Right worship is extremely important. Recall what happened to the Sons of Levi who offered strange fire.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
May I suggest that you talk to your minister about his teaching methods as he has not taught you basic Christianity.
you appear ignorant of John 3:16+18, of Eph 2:8+9, Rom8:29 etc etc etc

OK, time to walk away. I'm open to breaking bread by discussing scripture with an open mind. Once insult and name-calling come in, the Spirit of the Lord is no longer in it.

Remain blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Hebrews 6 about those who turn away from Christ after they had been once enlightened, and tasted of the heavenly gift for proof of the world to come.

Heb 6:4-9
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.
7 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak.
KJV

2 Thessalonians 2 is a specific warning about those who fall away to the coming "man of sin" (i.e., the coming pseudo-Christ that is to proclaim himself as God in Jerusalem for the end of this present world). Paul called that event of deception by those who fall away to that false one as "strong delusion". It's because they will worship the man of sin in place of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Any brother/sister believer on my Lord Jesus Christ that is not aware of that coming danger of deception to the pseudo-Christos that Jesus warned us of, is in DANGER by not being aware of that coming event at the end of this world. This is why I keep bringing the matter up on forums like these, trying to get brethren in Christ to wake up to Lord Jesus' and His Apostle's warnings about that event at the end.

Thanks, Davy. We must keep bringing up the warnings about the consequences of falling away to shake some believers from their delusion of grandeur

• Agree
Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The invitation to trust in the finished work of Christ on the Cross is open to all. "God so loved the world that He sent His Son, so that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but that all may come to repentance".
(John 3:16). But not all will repent of their sin and believe the Gospel. The Scripture also says, "To those who receive Christ, God gives them the right to be called the children of God." Unbelievers who refuse to repent and believe the Gospel love their sin more than Christ, and therefore refuse the invitation.

Praying the sinner's prayer has sent more people to hell than anything else. This is because unbelievers don't get saved by praying a prayer at the front of a church. Anyone can pray, "I believe that Christ died for me and I repent of my sins" and yet not be saved. It is not promising to repent, it is actually doing it, and actively believing the Gospel by turning away from the works of the flesh and showing the fruit of repentance. This is not a works-based salvation. It is our faith by actively believing the Gospel and seeking God for the indwelling Holy Spirit to fully convert us to Christ, causing the transformation of heart to hate sin and love righteousness. Many who prayed the sinner's prayer but did not go on to show the fruit of righteousness through a transformed life will wake up in Hell; because their profession of Christ was just talk - lip service. That's what James says, "If you say you have faith, let's see your faith expressed in what you do. If you can't, then your faith is dead."

In my younger days, I was involved an evangelistic outreach group who went to holiday destinations and preached the Gospel. We received hundreds of decision cards, but less than 2% were found to be regular church members six months later. Those were the ones who meant business with God and went on to be transformed by the Holy Spirit. The other 98%, in spite of praying the sinner's prayer and signing a decision card, did nothing more, carried on with their normal life, still on the broad road to Hell. For years I didn't know why our efforts to get souls saved were so ineffective. Now I know. We didn't preach the right Gospel to them. We told them that if they prayed a sinner's prayer and sign the card they would be saved. That was a lie, and it effectively sent that 98% to Hell thinking they were saved. That was nearly 50 years ago, so I wonder how many of those who signed the decision cards have now woken up in Hell crying out, "I shouldn't be here! I prayed the prayer, and signed the card!" I can hear the Lord saying, "Ah...but you didn't go on to actually repent of your sins and seek for full conversion by the Holy Spirit".

Thank you so much Oscarr for this wonderful insight. The reality is that there are some who make it into church, speak in tongues and display all the outward characteristics of being Christian, yet their heart is far from the Lord.

Paul's exhortation in 2 Tim 2:20-21 comes to mind about the vessels of gold and silver and wood and earth in a great house. In the analogy, we find that all the vessels are in the house (Church of Christ), but the Lord who searches the heart knows those that are his (2 Tim 2

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes! Because that would be blasphemous cacodoxy. Right worship is extremely important. Recall what happened to the Sons of Levi who offered strange fire.
I looked up cacodoxy, but not sure how it relates to a wrong spirit being mistaken for God and then worshiped as such.

The thing is, people offer strange fire all the time, but God does not consume them - all such judgments that were immediate in the previous covenant are now being reserved for the end, giving room for repentance.

So if God is giving them room, should I say with my actions that I know better?

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟186,650.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your great response.

You are absolutely correct.

My way of speaking doesn’t portray my complete understanding.

I will try to elaborate:
If you are like me, which I suspect, you would find the act of “sinning” to be repulsive. Although, we will surely continue to sin, while on this earth, we absolutely DO NOT desire it. It happens. We’re not perfect.
But we don’t WANT it.

We will make EVERY effort to turn away from it, and when it happens we will mourn it along with the Lord.

So, I visualize it would take a serious effort to TRY TO sin, purposely. That’s what I meant. Although I sin, I don’t purposely try to sin.

To me, there is a big difference.

Those who purposely sin, and claim that “grace” covers them, are not of us, even though they “say” they are.

I think Paul describes what I see here, pretty well in Romans 7:15-20

Thanks again for stimulating my brain.

Thanks to you too. It's been fun reading your learned insights.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
If one fails to believe that Christ's shed blood atones for one's sin, then is that one truly believing unto salvation at all?

People can change their beliefs. That is the danger.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I don't know what "wicca" is.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If one fails to believe that Christ's shed blood atones for one's sin, then is that one truly believing unto salvation at all?
The fact is that they are still on the broad road to Hell. If one does not believe that the shed blood of Christ atones for their sin, then they won't repent of it and are therefore still dead in their sins. If they seem good church goers and appear religious it may be that they have jumped over the wall instead of going through the narrow gate of Christ.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I looked up cacodoxy, but not sure how it relates to a wrong spirit being mistaken for God and then worshiped as such.

The thing is, people offer strange fire all the time, but God does not consume them - all such judgments that were immediate in the previous covenant are now being reserved for the end, giving room for repentance.

So if God is giving them room, should I say with my actions that I know better?
I don't know how people offer strange fire these days. It seems that the term has been used to describe Charismatic practice by John MacArthur. I don't see anything in the New Testament about Christians under the New Covenant offering fire at all.

When John the Baptizer said that "You shall be baptised with the Holy Spirit and with fire", he meant that the baptism with the Spirit for those who refuse to repent of their sin will be baptised with the fire of God's wrath in Hell. When Jesus quoted John, He left out the fire part, because He knew that the fire did not apply to repentant believers in Him. What settled on the disciples' heads in the upper room on the Day of Pentecost was not actual fire. It was "like fire" in the same way that what settled on Jesus at His baptism was not an actual dove, but a bodily form like a dove. So I think that Charismatics have it wrong in their description that the baptism with the Spirit is with fire for them. Fire destroys, but Jesus has come to give life and life more abundant.

Anyway, I have got somewhat off topic so I won't be contentious about it.

Upvote 0

.Jeremiah.

Jul 26, 2021
The South
✟21,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks to you too. It's been fun reading your learned insights.
Let’s not push the envelope and call my insights “learned”.

I do get great joy, though, when the Lord shines some light on my darkness.

Upvote 0