Can one be a cafeteria liberal and still qualify to post freely here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinythinker

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,860.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
For example, I am liberal when it comes to the treatment of immigrants from Mexico, but I am 100% against legalized abortion because I believe it is legalized murder.
My understanding is that this forum is a shelter from fighting over what makes you "not a (good) Catholic", so being welcome seems to be a matter of whether one is here to start such a fight. Maybe someone else can verify this?

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
For example, I am liberal when it comes to the treatment of immigrants from Mexico, but I am 100% against legalized abortion because I believe it is legalized murder.

Your mix of beliefs is less important than the ability post in a friendly and respectful manner. There are very conservative people who I would love to have here because they are filled with love and there are some very liberal people who I would not want to have here because they are filled with venom.

I think the key to success here is to see others as people with whom to struggle toward the Truth rather than opponents who must be shown the truth.

Upvote 0

Nayrb

Treading the Tiber
Jun 25, 2009
San Francisco, USA
✟15,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I wouldn't think that any particular segment of the spectrum has sole reign over a particular forum.

This is only my first post here, but for what it's worth I agree with what you've written.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your mix of beliefs is less important than the ability post in a friendly and respectful manner. There are very conservative people who I would love to have here because they are filled with love and there are some very liberal people who I would not want to have here because they are filled with venom.

I think the key to success here is to see others as people with whom to struggle toward the Truth rather than opponents who must be shown the truth.

Right on!

I'm generally a moderate, but when I see nasty anti-(fill in the individual, group or assocation), in a Christian forum, it has me concerned.

Jim

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟47,348.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right on!
I'm generally a moderate, but when I see nasty anti-(fill in the individual, group or assocation), in a Christian forum, it has me concerned.
Jim
Isn't that all that there is?
I'm a militant moderate myself, but that itself gets me in a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, questioning people's Catholicism and denigrating various groups is tolerated in OBOB.

Just as denigrating Catholic beliefs is tolerated in other forums at CF.

From my experience, people are open with you when you share the beliefs they hold. However, they demand that you reject what they reject. Unfortunately, what they reject is often what you believe.

Jim

Upvote 0

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For example, I am liberal when it comes to the treatment of immigrants from Mexico...
"Treatment"? What do you mean by treatment?

I think we need to close the borders and up the security, but they're human beings who should be treated with respect and compassion.

...but I am 100% against legalized abortion because I believe it is legalized murder.
No argument here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a moderate evangelical Anglicostal* who might be Old Catholic... if they had a presence in my area.

(* As far as I know, I'm the first to use that term. I'm a member of a Pentecostal church (AoG) who happens to have strong Anglican sympathies. Old Catholic sympathies too, but I don't know any OCs except online. Googling "Anglicostal", I find one Nicaraguan blogger who uses it also: http://nicaedge.blogspot.com/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, questioning people's Catholicism and denigrating various groups is tolerated in OBOB.
What exactly do you mean by "questioning people's Catholicism"? For example, do you mean asking whether or not something someone says is what is taught by the Pope and/or the bishops in union with the Pope or letting them know when it isn't?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
What exactly do you mean by "questioning people's Catholicism"? For example, do you mean asking whether or not something someone says is what is taught by the Pope and/or the bishops in union with the Pope or letting them know when it isn't?

I mean saying that people or groups of people are not really Catholic and that it would be better if they leave. I have no problem with people pointing out that a person's statement contradicts the CCC or some encyclical or some statement by a bishop. Such statements can be objectively true, and while I support informed dissent, I do believe that more information is generally a good thing (although it can be annoying when the basic texts get repeated as if no one has ever seen them before). On the other hand, judgments about whether people are Catholic is the exclusive responsibility of the bishops, and they do not make such judgments lightly. It is not the responsiblity of the laity to make these judgments.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I mean saying that people or groups of people are not really Catholic and that it would be better if they leave. I have no problem with people pointing out that a person's statement contradicts the CCC or some encyclical or some statement by a bishop. Such statements can be objectively true, and while I support informed dissent, I do believe that more information is generally a good thing (although it can be annoying when the basic texts get repeated as if no one has ever seen them before). On the other hand, judgments about whether people are Catholic is the exclusive responsibility of the bishops, and they do not make such judgments lightly. It is not the responsiblity of the laity to make these judgments.
I agree that we, the laity, should not tell people who are struggling with some of the teachings of the Church that they should leave the Church. But I think we can let them know when they have left it so that they can know that they need to return to it. The Church does state the conditions that apply when someone can no longer be considered a Catholic, and that condition is when someone is in an obstinate state of heresy.

Also, which of the following types of people is this sub-forum for?

A) Those who are struggling to accept or understand some teachings of the Church

B) Those who believe in the teachings but who have stopped practicing their faith for a long period of time (I used to fit into this category when I was in a long period of "backsliding" and living in sin before I repented and was reconciled back to the Church)

C) Those who have permantly rejected some teaching of the Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I agree that we, the laity, should not tell people who are struggling with some of the teachings of the Church that they should leave the Church. But I think we can let them know when they have left it so that they can know that they need to return to it. The Church does state the conditions that apply when someone can no longer be considered a Catholic, and that condition is when someone is in an obstinate state of heresy.

Also, which of the following types of people is this sub-forum for?

A) Those who are struggling to accept or understand some teachings of the Church

B) Those who believe in the teachings but who have stopped practicing their faith for a long period of time (I used to fit into this category when I was in a long period of "backsliding" and living in sin before I repented and was reconciled back to the Church)

C) Those who have permantly rejected some teaching of the Church

This is exactly what I was talking about. You have placed yourself in judgment of who is Catholic and who is not.

This forum is primarily for Catholics who wish to discuss their faith without judgment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is exactly what I was talking about. You have placed yourself in judgment of who is Catholic and who is not.

This forum is primarily for Catholics who wish to discuss their faith without judgment.
I think it is you who have judged me for what I didn't say. It was a Pope, not I, who said this:

"There are other references which discuss the sins of heresy, schism, & apostasy if you want those as well. For the most part a person remains in the Church no matter how horrible their sins are. The one exception to this rule are the sins of: heresy, apostasy, & schism. After committing these sins one can effectively no longer call themselves Catholic unless they renounce their positions and seek forgiveness." - Pope Leo XIII, Satis Cognitum, June 29, 1896

I have no problem with people pointing out that a person's statement contradicts the CCC or some encyclical or some statement by a bishop. Such statements can be objectively true
This is all I was saying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cura Animarum

Jun 30, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan
Visit site
✟15,160.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I really liked reading this...it's what made me want to join this forum! Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael96

Mar 9, 2009
✟15,399.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I have also experienced people who feel it is necessary to judge whether I meet their standards of Catholicism. It's a shame because it often gets in the way of what would otherwise be a very good dicussion.

I have nothiced that this most commonly happens shortly after I say that I have never heard of a good arguement against there being women priests :)

It's cool that all topics may be discussed here :cool:

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have also experienced people who feel it is necessary to judge whether I meet their standards of Catholicism.
And I have been judged in this sub-forum for "liberal Catholics" on whether or not I meet the standards for liberalism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cura Animarum

Jun 30, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan
Visit site
✟15,160.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I my own personal experience (and I do not for a moment assume that mine is generically indicative...but I've been there and see it so...there it is) it is more often those who assert black and white, either this or you're out ideas that seek to exclude people from the faith. In my parish ministry I have experienced more good people, men, women and even children who so desperately hunger for the love of the Lord made to feel un-welcome and un-wanted by our more 'conservative' brother ad sisters in the Church. I have had parents calling in tears because their son or daughter was told by another parent that, at 8, or 9, or 10 years-old, they were going to Hell because they received communion without a proper Confession before hand (along the lines of, 'I know your family doesn't go to confession so you have no business going to communion...you'll go to Hell). Really nice way to make kids (and their parents) feel comfortable and safe in Church.

I will not deny that there are those who label themselves 'liberal' that have caused problems and drawn their own lines in the sand but it seems to me, for the most part, it's has been those Catholics following a more liberal view of faith who open their arms, their doors and their lives to those who, though broken and short on faith, truly need the nourishment of the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.