-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if my sibling and parent are not Christian, can I cling on this verse "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household"? and presume my family will be saved? but in reality, that's not the case. Many members did not get converted and died.

if that's the case, why would I honor this?
"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness"

there's a gender gap btw male and female, so even if we match all oflike robot, there will be still people who sincerly asked for a Christian spouse but they'll remain single their entire life.

So should I comprise and marry an unbeliever instead? since the bible comprised too and just accept this imperfect reality?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if my sibling and parent are not Christian, can I cling on this verse "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, along with everyone in your household"? and presume my family will be saved? but in reality, that's not the case. Many members did not get converted and died.

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness"

there's a gender gap btw male and female, so even if we match all oflike robot, there will be still people who sincerly asked for a Christian spouse but they'll remain single their entire life.

So should I comprise and marry an unbeliever instead? since the bible comprised too and just accept this imperfect reality?
The first verse says....if everyone believes in the household, they will all be saved. This is not salvation by proxy but salvation through repentance by each individual. The message of the Gospel was delivered to one and then spread to the entire household through that message.
As far as being unequally yoked, Paul is sparing the Christian from hardships due to conflicting spiritual paths. I don't believe it is a sin. Afterall the harvest comes from the very pool he is speaking of. Blessings.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We really need to remember to take everything the Bible has to say on the subject, I found this with a simple word search of household in the New Testament...

“Do you think that I came to provide peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. “They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.” (Luke 12:51-53)​

So Jesus is clearly saying that an entire household being saved is not always going to be the case. So how do we reconcile this with the verse you mentioned? Simple if you look at the context of the verse:

and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” And they spoke the word of God to him together with all who were in his house. And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household.​
(Acts 16:30-33)​

It is clear from context that this is not a promise made to everyone, but only to the Philippian jailor whose entire household believed after being preached to by Paul and Barnabas. A similar promise was made to Cornelius earlier in Acts by an angel, and similarly everyone in his household heard Peter speak and believed. So this was a promise made to two individuals, not everyone.
This verse and the surrounding passage were written to the entire Corinthian church, and by extension to the entire church. It does not mention marriage specifically, but it is definitely applicable to marriage.
there's a gender gap btw male and female, so even if we match all off like robot, there will be still people who sincerely asked for a Christian spouse but they'll remain single their entire life.
Where do you live that there is such a gender gap?
The Bible is not compromised, and I don't believe you should compromise on this verse either. God inspired Paul to write it for a reason. If you marry an unbeliever, you will have sorrow of heart greater than if you stay single. Imagine the fights over whether the children would attend church or the faith of your spouse (if they have a faith). Imagine the heartbreak of watching your children follow the spouse instead of Christ, and you losing your children for all eternity. And this is only one area of potential conflict, you would constantly be at odds morally with your spouse. It simply is for your own good that God inspired Paul to write this.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

-
If members in your family have believed in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation). Then yes they are saved if they have not, then no they are not saved.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It says Peter spoke words by which they would be saved. They anticipated the message, had great reverence for the speaker, and accepted his words as God's words with faith. Did your family members do likewise?

The house was devout:
Acts 10:2 KJV​
2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house,​
which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.​

The house of Cornelius was told by an angel what was coming:
Acts 10:22 KJV​
22 And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God,​
and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by
an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

The angel told them that Peter would speak words to them and those words would save them:
Acts 11:13-14 KJV​
13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house,​
which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;​
14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.​

When Cornelius saw Peter, he revered him so much that he fell down to worship him:
Acts 10:25 KJV​
25 And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell
down at his feet, and worshipped him.​

Cornelius and everyone present knew that the words they were about to hear were commanded by God:
Acts 10:33 KJV​
33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that​
thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to
hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

So Cornelius and his house were ready for this, anticipated the coming and the outcome, and were much like the Bereans who heard with similar "nobility"
Acts 17:11-12 KJV​
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.​
12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.​

Even Jesus had to have the respect of the noble hearer to accomplish God's will:
Matthew 13:54-58 KJV​
54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?​
55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?​
56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?​
57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.​
58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are many instances in the bible where people rebelled against God ... that don't make it ok for people to rebel.

Oil and water don't mix.

"believe in the Lord ..." means to follow in His teachings .... the teaching is not to be unevenly yolked.

The reality is .... nobody knows who will or will not be saved .... that is completely up to Jesus and we are not privy to that info.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, Paul was giving a *prophecy* for a particular family--not a general promise good for all families. Obviously, a family shall consist of 2 vs 3 and 3 vs 2, Jesus said. There will be division. The jailer was key to his family's pent up desire for truth and salvation.
Since you premise your rationalization on a false interpretation, I would honor what the Scriptures indicate is God's concern. Don't be "unequally yoked." It will be a snare.

At times it happened by necessity, such as when a pagan couple saw one member convert to Christianity. Paul made special dispensation for that, with a contingency. The hope was in giving time the other member may choose to convert.

There were times in the Bible where a queen, subject to a conqueror-King found it necessary to be married, as a believer, to a pagan husband. I'm thinking of Esther.
Not every person wishes to marry. Many are non-Christian and will not stay married. Later, converted divorcees and converted singles will want to marry. Most will be given opportunity to marry. Some captives/eunuchs like Daniel had no choice whatsoever.

Gender gaps may be the product of a world in which Mankind sought to control their destiny. That put God's perfect plans out of whack, forcing Him to rely upon an alternative plan, taking into consideration the myriad of human problems without violating their free choices.
The Bible did not compromise. You apparently seek to justify your own independent choices. It's a free world, but you'll pay the consequences the Bible warns you about, if you are a believer.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

The promise to repent and believe, you and your household, was a prophecy made to one man. It is not a universal promise. The Bible is the absolute truth. I married a woman who was a pretender. She went to church, but that was about it. She was, as she told me, looking for a better life. It did not end well. I learned much from the experience as God works all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. However, it is far better to be single than married to someone who is like a ball and chain, dragging you down.

I stayed single for about 25 years. I was content. I was married a bit over a year ago, at the age of 71. My wife is a wonderful Christian who is also my best friend.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In your first paragraph of Acts 16:31 by CONTEXT is speaking to a Jew of Israel

#2 And in verse 31 , reads THEY SAID // EIPON is in the AORIST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , INDICATIVE MOOD and that MOOD means you believe this verse , and is in the PLURAL to all Jews only .

# 3 BELIEVE // PISTEUO , is also in the AORIST TENSE and is speaking to Jews of the Time period and is a command to obey as it is in the IMPERATIVE MOOD and is in thr Greek SINGULAR , speaking to all individual Jews .

# 4 SHALL BE SAVED // SOZO and is in the FUTURE TENSE and the future tense , means That Israel will be saved as a Nation in the FUTURE as written in Eze 36:25--38 , where Israel and all Jews will BE BORN AGAIN !!

#5 HOUSE // OIKIOS , is in the Greek Nominative case and in the SLINGLUAR .

Paul is the ONLY ONE that tell all HOE to be saved , Rom 1o: 9 and 10 and in Eph 2:8 !!

dan p

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said
"Forgiven them father for they know not what they do" - Luke 23:34 - which is a good thing.
But in Matt 23 He also says "Jerusalem how I wanted to spare you... but you would not".

IT is still up to each person accept the way of escape God offers them.
The problem of mixed marriages between believers and unbelievers is notable all through human history.
Jesus said "you are the light of the world... you are the sale of the Earth... if the salt loses its savor - what will you salt it with?"

That happened in Gen 6 where not only do the descendants of Cain - NOT get on the boat with Noah - NEITHER do the descendants of SETH.
Only Noah and his wife get on the boat -- along with their 3 sons. Everybody else rejected God's warning in the end.

And that would not have happened if the Seth-ites had not engaged in mixed marriages and then into apostasy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said
"Forgiven them father for they know not what they do" - Luke 23:34 - which is a good thing.
But in Matt 23 He also says "Jerusalem how I wanted to spare you... but you would not".

IT is still up to each person accept the way of escape God offers them.

The problem of mixed marriages between believers and unbelievers is notable all through human history.
Jesus said "you are the light of the world... you are the sale of the Earth... if the salt loses its savor - what will you salt it with?"

That happened in Gen 6 where not only do the descendants of Cain - NOT get on the boat with Noah - NEITHER do the descendants of SETH.
Only Noah and his wife get on the boat -- along with their 3 sons. Everybody else rejected God's warning in the end.

And that would not have happened if the Seth-ites had not engaged in mixed marriages and then into apostasy
what's your advice?

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The promise to repent and believe, you and your household, was a prophecy made to one man. It is not a universal promise. The Bible is the absolute truth. I married a woman who was a pretender. She went to church, but that was about it. She was, as she told me, looking for a better life. It did not end well. I learned much from the experience as God works all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. However, it is far better to be single than married to someone who is like a ball and chain, dragging you down.

I stayed single for about 25 years. I was content. I was married a bit over a year ago, at the age of 71. My wife is a wonderful Christian who is also my best friend.
amazing. Why you want to get married at age 71?

Upvote 0

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, Paul was giving a *prophecy* for a particular family--not a general promise good for all families. Obviously, a family shall consist of 2 vs 3 and 3 vs 2, Jesus said. There will be division. The jailer was key to his family's pent up desire for truth and salvation.

Since you premise your rationalization on a false interpretation, I would honor what the Scriptures indicate is God's concern. Don't be "unequally yoked." It will be a snare.

At times it happened by necessity, such as when a pagan couple saw one member convert to Christianity. Paul made special dispensation for that, with a contingency. The hope was in giving time the other member may choose to convert.

There were times in the Bible where a queen, subject to a conqueror-King found it necessary to be married, as a believer, to a pagan husband. I'm thinking of Esther.

Not every person wishes to marry. Many are non-Christian and will not stay married. Later, converted divorcees and converted singles will want to marry. Most will be given opportunity to marry. Some captives/eunuchs like Daniel had no choice whatsoever.

Gender gaps may be the product of a world in which Mankind sought to control their destiny. That put God's perfect plans out of whack, forcing Him to rely upon an alternative plan, taking into consideration the myriad of human problems without violating their free choices.

The Bible did not compromise. You apparently seek to justify your own independent choices. It's a free world, but you'll pay the consequences the Bible warns you about, if you are a believer.
I was talking about the gender gap in the church

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was talking about the gender gap in the church
Yes, I realize that. There are reasons that extend well beyond our limited "computers" that figure into God's determination as to the exact ration of men to women. Isn't that what I was answering?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
amazing. Why you want to get married at age 71?
Why not? I've known my wife since 1983. She was married to my friend, pastor and mentor who passed away in 2012. So we know each other well. If you knew what we were like 40 years ago, you would be astounded at the change in both of us. That is the power of God to change lives in real experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesusthekingofking

Jun 16, 2019
-
✟38,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why not? I've known my wife since 1983. She was married to my friend, pastor and mentor who passed away in 2012. So we know each other well. If you knew what we were like 40 years ago, you would be astounded at the change in both of us. That is the power of God to change lives in real experience.
can't both of you remain just as friend?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
can't both of you remain just as friend?
Sure we could. Before we were married, my wife spent 3 weeks in hospital, desperately ill. She's recovered completely. During that time, I discovered how much cared, more than just a friend. When she came out, she needed a lot of help. That drew us even closer. Marriage was a no brainer.

A couple of years before, we ran a Bible school. One of our mature students could see how well we got on. He said that we should get married. At the time, it was not a consideration. Things can change very quickly.

Upvote 0