Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! That's a very useful advice that i hadn't thought about before, you are right, challenging is not the target, integrating each others is the target! And i had Photoshop, and looking forward to trying Lightroom, i already worked much with PS, i used it to create projects from scratch though, thanks God for that talent too, i can show you something i did if you want. :)

Sure. Lightroom is better for photography because it has integrated RAW support.

Photoshop needs a few more modules like DNG convertor, Camera RAW, etc.

Lightroom also comes with integrated presets (saturation, contrast, etc).

Your Willkommen!

Upvote 0

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm actually a very doubtful person, i don't trust people easily and this makes my circle of contacts a bit small, it doesn't bother me being alone though since i have a sort of social phobia, so life is easier for me when i'm alone, but for the sake of God, i have to get out of my comfort zone sometimes. ^_^

Age and time will make you more used to it. Will make you not thinking about it much. You will forget about the phobia in time. I was the same. I hated big malls or places crowded with people. It's just time we all need, right?

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
@rockytopva

I guess I won't be successful anytime soon. It's too easy said than done.

I feel laziness because of depression, I feel doubt and U also feel fear of failure.

I don't feel sorrow yet because nobody died. And I don't feel coldness because I'm still reaching out to people. Snd my sense of humour is always high.

But I can't help it. All those feelings are there for a reason. Do you really think that God put anger and fear in us by mistake? If we feel no fear how could we survive? Do you even know how many tines fear saved me from dying, and how the lack of fear killed friends?

Doubt could've made me more sharp minded and more independent.

That's just my opinion.
Depression and laziness are pretty dumb and pointless, but they're the aftermath of the damage done I guess.

Thanks.

You don't have any trouble! All you need is faith in God! Wonderful story about a man in like condition to yourself @9:00

Upvote 0

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't have any trouble! All you need is faith in God! Wonderful story about a man in like condition to yourself @9:00

The preacher was funny, he killed me when he spoke about the ribs and the chicken.

But this man was way worse than me. Serious health issues.

I may have some faith left because I saved the Bible from the garbage can.

But there's something I never told you. Neither one of you.

I actually never prayed to Jesus and never asked him for anything. I always asked God, my Creator.

I don't know if that's a mistake.

Maybe I told his name a few times but all the prayers and the orders went to the Creator.

And also I never understood what is the Holy Spirit, or who is.

"In the name of the Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit"

Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sure. Lightroom is better for photography because it has integrated RAW support.

Photoshop needs a few more modules like DNG convertor, Camera RAW, etc.

Lightroom also comes with integrated presets (saturation, contrast, etc).

Your Willkommen!

So much Danke!

Age and time will make you more used to it. Will make you not thinking about it much. You will forget about the phobia in time. I was the same. I hated big malls or places crowded with people. It's just time we all need, right?

That's true, also being exposed to more social events made me improve thanks God, it was severe when i was younger, specially in school that i nearly had no friends and had to suffer mocking from others sometimes, until i grew older, now i'm 20 and the SAD is nearly gone from me. :) But i still rush when i'm in crowd to get out of it.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First thing I would say is you need to forgive the people you feel have wronged you. This is possible with God.

I also feel I should ask, have you genuinely given your life to Jesus and would you call yourself born again?

Upvote 0

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was a kid, a got bullied a lot. Most of the times I fought back. But there was at some times the fact that my opponent was stronger. I decided to not get smacked. It was very famous in a fight to break someone's nose. Kids were savages back then and everyone was breaking everyone's nose. I went on the coward's way. I became a friend with the bullies. I had to bully other people with them for which I am truly sorry. Years later, I never forgot how all started and I retaliated, destroying the life of few of them. I don't consider this evil, and I will never will, because I never posessed the power to forgive my enemy, nor I ever will.

I actually don't understand what's behind it. Forgiving your enemy.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The preacher was funny, he killed me when he spoke about the ribs and the chicken.

But this man was way worse than me. Serious health issues.

I may have some faith left because I saved the Bible from the garbage can.

But there's something I never told you. Neither one of you.

I actually never prayed to Jesus and never asked him for anything. I always asked God, my Creator.

I don't know if that's a mistake.

Maybe I told his name a few times but all the prayers and the orders went to the Creator.

I started typing my last comment before you posted this and then saw this posted before when I posted mine.

You need to pray the sinners prayer. I had a feeling this was the case from your first post. Its not about doing a particular religous ceremonny, but believing in your heeart and confessing with your mouth that you accept Jesus as your saviour. I copied this version from another website for you, the exact words dont necessarily need to be these exact ones but believing/confessing the general content is

• “Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

Reactions: singpraise
Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The son (Jesus Christ) is the image of God on earth, the creator himself incarnated in human form to fulfill the redemption, the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, to obtain it in yourself you have to be baptised in the name of the Father, the son and the Holy Spirit by an ordained minister or a priest, the Holy Spirit will guide you spiritually to give you understanding of God's word, and will support you when you fall in temptation and in some other instances. (will guide you generally as long as you decide in yourself to keep God's commandments)

So those three are the three persons of God that we know/encountered as humans, as when the star of our galaxy gives us its light, and heat, all are equal to "The Sun" but not equal to eachothers.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was a kid, a got bullied a lot. Most of the times I fought back. But there was at some times the fact that my opponent was stronger. I decided to not get smacked. It was very famous in a fight to break someone's nose. Kids were savages back then and everyone was breaking everyone's nose. I went on the coward's way. I became a friend with the bullies. I had to bully other people with them for which I am truly sorry. Years later, I never forgot how all started and I retaliated, destroying the life of few of them. I don't consider this evil, and I will never will, because I never posessed the power to forgive my enemy, nor I ever will.

I was similar, I had a very violent dad which led to low self estime, being bullied at school, getting in with teh wrong crowd (in my case drug dealers who I amn fairly certain killed people as well).

When you genuinely accept Jesus as your saviour you are forgicven your sin. I know people far worse than me (by worldly standards) who are Christians. Once you have been forgiven your sin and come into a relationship with Jesus, it becomes easier to forgive othrs, as I have done. The first step is to shoose that you want to forgive them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Well, if you have the spirit of God in you, you will be able to do it, since God is love and when you have love in yourself you won't be able to hate, hence you won't hate your enemies.

Upvote 0

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm not fully committed yet.

I still don't know to who to pray. God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit. And I don't even know what is the Holy Spirit.

Even before I turned to God for help, I quit my old habits.

I stopped being angry for small things in life. I stopped insulting trolls and getting irritated by them. I stopped getting irritated by arrogant people. I stopped torturing animals long ago. I stopped searching for revenge myself. I just let them be. I quit all alcohol, zigaretten, kaffee and sugars. I also started being more honest and kind to unknown people / customers.

One thing I never did is let go the hatred for what have been done to me. Too incomprehensible to me why should I forgive someone I hate. God did not forgave Satan and bring him back in his realms. Maybe I could forgive when he forgives Satan and they become really close friends again.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In that case I would say you should pray to God to reveal Himself to you so that you can come into a relationship with Him and know Him. You are on a Christian forum so I expect He is already doing a work in you. Its not always an instant thing, but becoming a Christian can be a journey.

Jesus forgave the people who rejected Him, cursed Him and put Him on the cross. Satan does not want a relationship with God so that is not a good example. Who are we to question God, He is holy and we are sinners, yet He allows us to have a relationship with Him and worship Him. And He will be our Father and wipe every tear from our eye.

I see I your posts a lot of where I was many years ago before I got saved. You would find it hard to believe how much healing I have had in dealing with the issues I had when I was younger. Whether you know it or not at the moment, Jesus IS the answer.

Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,103.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think I'm not fully committed yet.

I still don't know to who to pray. God, Jesus, or the Holy Spirit. And I don't even know what is the Holy Spirit.

Even before I turned to God for help, I quit my old habits.

I stopped being angry for small things in life. I stopped insulting trolls and getting irritated by them. I stopped getting irritated by arrogant people. I stopped torturing animals long ago. I stopped searching for revenge myself. I just let them be. I quit all alcohol, zigaretten, kaffee and sugars. I also started being more honest and kind to unknown people / customers.

One thing I never did is let go the hatred for what have been done to me. Too incomprehensible to me why should I forgive someone I hate. God did not forgave Satan and bring him back in his realms. Maybe I could forgive when he forgives Satan and they become really close friends again.

God forgave us humans, angels were created for us, yes believe it or not, God values us more than angels, also Satan is in continues rebellion against God.

Upvote 0

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to fight them. Fight them for what they've done not only to me. If that's what it takes, to take the full Armor of God, I will do it.

Everyone has it's own reasons and own agenda. God has his own agenda. Everyone does.

Mine is to make them all pay by living longer in pain and seeing what they done.

I would not want to mention you how many times I had packages stolen. USPS Intl Express, not even Priority. Last time they snatched my brand new iPad. Send the empty box to another city. I got ended really bad. People like that must pay. I cannot forgive someone like that. Thats why I warned you. I may not be true believer, but I will stick around. For greater good I reckon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zurückschlagen

Weiß und Blau
Jan 8, 2017
Europe
✟13,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I see there'll always be bad people. Just cruising around.

Maybe, just maybe, you never felt what I felt, you never got anything stolen, and it's very convinient for you to just preach around.

In 2014 I got my car window smashed and goods stolen. Have you ever saw your car window broken?

Same year, the father of my girlfriend threatened me with people and told me I should leave her. Eventually we split.

Also our apartment got raided by thieves two times, in 1998 and in 2003.

We got a bomb threat in 1997 because of my not very wise mother's schemes with bad people.

I don't want to continue because it's a very long list.

My father even killed a man and then left me so he can join his new cellmates.

People like that - must suffer, endure, then get put down. My humble opinion.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I want to fight them. Fight them for what they've done not only to me. If that's what it takes, to fake the full Armor of God, I will do it.

Everyone has it's own reasons and own agenda. God has his own agenda. Everyone does.

Mine is to make them all pay by living longer in pain and seeing what they done.

I would not want to mention you how many times I had packages stolen. USPS Intl Express, not even Priority. Last time they snatched my brand new iPad. Send the empty box to another city. I got ended really bad. People like that must pay. I cannot forgive someone like that. Thats why I warned you. I may not be true believer, but I will stick around. For greater good I reckon.

"That is not the way of the Savior my young brother." Those are the words young Robert Sheffey heard while attending a revival after a wild night at the Inn.... Here is the story...

One of the mule skinners looked about the walls of the crowded tavern. He shivered a little and pulled the collar of his sheepskin coat more tightly around his neck.

“Wanna’ move a little nearer piece to the fireplace?” Muley asked.

“Naw, I’ll go get us all a mugful of hot coals we can drown in our stomachs.” He got up, crossed the room to the open fireplace, and paused to warm himself in front and behind. The fireplace, big enough for a man to stand in, roared with a furious fire, but for those who sat or stood near the outer walls it was sheer accident if the heat ever reached them when the wind whistled icy cold through the hewn logs and woodshingled roof of the tavern.

Robert also pulled his greatcoat tighter around his neck and thought he would have one mug of rum or a dram of brandy to be sociable and then go home. It was too mild to wander about the streets, and the two mule skinners might decide that they –did not want to head north, facing a chill wind, without a good night’s sleep.

Clefus returned to the table with four mugs of rum and a grin on his face. “Well, I’ve heard a lot of mule stories in my time but I ain’t never heard that one before.”

‘”Who told you one?” Muley asked.

Clefus pointed “That feller talkin’ to the tavernkeeper.”

“Why, that’s old Rote Ewing. He’s been driving mules down the valley since ‘fore you was born,” Muley said. “I’ve probably heard the story, but you tell it.”

Clefus repeated the story and got a spontaneous round of belly –laughter.

“Clefus, you can take that’ll with you clean back to Baltimore,” Muley said, still laughing. “I reckon it’s my turn to buy a round, unless you want to volunteer first, Robert?”

The word “volunteer” struck a sensitive nerve somewhere in Robert and suddenly he came to life.

“Set ‘em up all around,” he said. “I’d just as soon spend my week’s wages for that as anything I know. Old Man Russell would pop a gut for sure if he knew I was doing that with my money.”

“I ‘spect he might already,” Muley said, and headed for the tavemkeeper with Robert’s money.

Robert shivered as he acknowledged the prospect of Muley’s suspicions being well-founded, and his tablemates noticed his lack of ease.

“You work for this Russell feller?” Clefus asked.

“I work for the county, and he’s over me.”

“How you goin’ to keep him from a-knowin?’”

“I‘m not trying to, I reckon,” Robert confessed, “but I’d just as soon he didn’t find out.”

Muley plopped the mugs on the rough table and Shem made a grab for one of them, spilled most of it, and let out an oath.

“Well, at least you’re sayin’ somethin’,” Clefus said. “Thought you was a-dying layin’ against that wall – er froze to death.”

Shem cursed his partner and sat looking at the nearly empty mug.

“I’ll take that one,” Robert said and gave Shell his own in exchange. “I don’t want any more anyway.”

Shem let out another oath to the effect that Abingdon was dull and full of dull people who went to bed with the chickens __ and he wished he was back in Baltimore where he had plenty of women and chances for real hell-raising.

“He gets plumb ornery when he’s had a few,” Clefus explained.

“Next time I get a round I’ll get the tavernkeeper to lace his run with some egg whites. I understand them spirits hide in little balls of egg whites and won’t bust till daylight,” Muley said.

Clefus disagreed. “That won’t do. There won’t be any road between here and Lexington wide enough to keep the wagon in. He sure don’t need no bubbles full of rum abustin’ in his stomach.”

Robert watched Shem sip his rum faster than he should, and instinctively he pushed his own mug away.

“Say, what’s all the people leaving fer?” Clefus asked.

“I ain’t sure,” Muley said, looking toward the door. “Most times they stay till the doors is locked, and the night ain’t hardIy started. I’ll find out for you. Something is goin’ on.” He came back on the run. “They’s a revival happenin’ up over Greenway’s store! Some of the fellers is goin’ and make it hot for the dd sin-socker.”

Clefus shook the arm of Shem and brought his sleepy head from his forearms.

‘’Wrap yourself tight. We’re goin’ to sober you up ill that January weather out there or we’re goin’ to let that-there evangelist do it fer us. You may be just about right to get saved! How’d you like to wake up in the mornin’ and know you was plumb, teetotally saved!”

Muley laughed as heartily as Clefus, and between them Shem staggered first against one and then the other. The three of them reached the door before Muley relinquished his hold on Shem so that he could pass through the entrance. Robert had not moved.

”You go ahead and tell them I hope they don’t get snowed in before they get back to Baltimore.”

“I ain’t goin’ to do it. Nearly everybody’s left here now. See – there ain’t a dozen people. You know they all saw you here and they’ll be awonderin’ why you didn’t have nerve enough to come and pelt that old sin-socker with corncobs.”

‘He hasn’t done me any harm,” Robert said.

“I been thinkin’ lately – you getting’ too good for us fellers what sweats a little for our livin’?”

“No, that isn’t it.”

Clefus called impatiently from the doorway. He was minus his partner, Shem. “I knowed you wasn’t man enough to be in the volunteers! If we was in battle we couldn’t count on you to reach us the gunpowder. You’d be as scared as a sucklin’ kid. You’re scared of a big-mouthed old preacher!” Muley said.

“I am scared of nothing!”

“Then don’t stand here talkin’ about it. We ain’t goin’ to get seats, and all the corncobs will be gone. Let’s get goin’!”

Muley pulled the bench out of Robert’s path and the way was clear to the door. Robert looked at Muley and the blacksmith grinned wide, until his yellow teeth showed. Robert crossed the distance hurriedly and they were out in the street. Muley called to Clefus, “Let’s get goin’! Make Shem take deep breath of this cold air. If that don’t sober him up it’ll give him a coughin’ fit and shake loose his liver and he can let it all out.”

When the four of them reached the top of the stairs over Greenway’s store, the third-floor room still had vacant seats. Robert could tell the serious worshipers from most of the faces he had seen in the tavern. There was little need to draw a line of division, for many of the tavern patrons sat enmassed to the rear of the large room. There could not have been more than twenty-five or thirty people in attendance before the men from the tavern arrived. Now the congregation numbered sixty or seventy. Having come last, Robert could not be certain, but the old man who stood before them, thin but tall, with his bony knees and elbows outlined against his worn clothes, had an inquiring look on his face. It was not hard to see the brightness in the aged man’s eyes when he first began to notice the empty benches starting to fill. Although the revival must have been half finished, the countenance of this old evangelist strongly suggested to Robert his willingness to start the meeting all over again if there were those who would benefit and if their attendance was sincere.

Bony hands caressed each other as the old man tried to smile and welcome the newcomers. The skin of his face was wrinkled and loose, and he stooped slightly, though he tried to stand erect. He walked across the front of the room to pick up something, and the arch of his back became much more apparent. It seemed to start at the base of the spine and continue to the base of the neck – the type of arch a man would develop when he had ridden a horse for many more years than his strength had been sufficient to hold himself erect.

The object the old man fetched was a pitch pipe.

“The Lord has blessed us with many who have come late. Since they have not joined us in fellowship by the singing of a hymn, we will sing together that old hymn you all know, ‘Blessed Be the name of the Lord.’ Sister Louise will pass out the songbooks, but we don’t have many. Please share them with a Christian brother by your side.”

The preacher blew the “C” note on the pitch pipe, and led the singing. Those near the front sang vigorously, but only a few in the back joined in, and then only until they were stared down by their fellow tavern patrons.

By the middle of the second verse the copper kettle sitting to the side of the single Ben Franklin stove began to yield what few corncobs yet remained of the kindling. In the absence of more corncobs, someone reached for wood chips, but an older man nearby squeezed the taker’s wrist until the chips were dropped. “Don’t use chips on him,” the older man whispered. .. We don’t want to kill him – or blind him – we just want to slow him down.”

A corncob was passed to Robert. He held it in his hands for a moment, and passed it on. Not a corncob was in sight when the hymn was concluded; each man concealed his weapon with the same skill with which he concealed his intentions.

Robert knew about when to expect the onslaught. He had heard the men at the tavern talk about how they had carried out this devilment before. They would let the visiting itinerant work himself into a sweat, and when the invitation I penitence was issued the corncobs would begin to fly through the air until the helpless preacher looked like an awkward schoolboy fighting off a swarm of bees.

The crowd all listened, and Robert sensed that this man who stood before them was not of the common variety of itinerants Greenway’s meeting room was rented to. Not only did he sense it, but some of the men sitting close to him were looking on with a degree of concentration that was not just good acting.

The white-thatched preacher pushed a strand of hair from his forehead after his opening remarks were made and announced his text.

Our Scripture tonight will be taken from Second Kings, chapter two. To those of you who do not have Your Bibles, our Scripture deals with the last days of Elijah and his companion, Elisha. In this chapter we see by the hand of God, Elijah taken into heaven in a fiery chariot, drawn by fiery horses. Elijah, as he rises toward heaven in a whirlwind, drops his mantle, or cloak, and Elisha catches it and receives the divine powers God had given Elijah.”

A grunt and then a snicker originated from someone near the stove. Robert saw Shem sit up straight and slap his knee “You reckon my mules will catch fire on the way back to Baltimore, Preacher?”

Although Shem laughed heartily and Muley and Clefus chuckled, few others made any sound. The old preacher ignored the outburst and continued.

“When Elisha received the powers originally bestowed on Elijah, he went and stood by the river Jordan and smote it with the cloak of Elijah, and it parted so that he walked across the river on dry land. Elisha tarried in Jericho and used his God-given power to purify the water and enrich the land so the people might prosper. But, my friends, I must tell you tonight that everyone did not receive God’s servant Elisha without mockery. Be not deceived, God will not be mocked. . . But let us not leave Elisha. We must examine what happened to God’s servant Elisha in the closing verses of the chapter. Follow me in the Scriptures if you will:

‘And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhead. ‘And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the woods, and tare forty forth two children of them. ‘And he went from thence to Mount Carmel, and from thence he returned to Samaria’.”

Suddenly Shem stood in front of his bench and hurled a cob, which missed its mark.

“My brothers and sisters, it is not God’s will that any should perish but that all should have everlasting life. Are there those among us tonight who search for something without knowing for what they search? Or those who forsake God to seek their own selfish desires? What would you give in exchange for your soul? Is God your loving father, who walks with you each day, holding your hand as a little child? Your enemy to be feared? Does He give you the wind and the sun and the rain and the flowers and the trees and smile down at you with His blessing to enjoy them and use them?”

Shell and Muley were both on their feet now, letting a barrage of corncobs fly with all their might. Clefus kept the two others supplied, and occasional cobs flew from further behind him. At the beginning the preacher tried to dodge the raspy and cutting objects, but as they kept coming he stood immobile. His strategy stopped the cob throwers only for a moment; then they were incited to throw harder and faster.

Muley connected with a hit directly on the nose and Clefus, after two tries, knocked the preacher’s glasses to the floor.

When Robert saw blood dripping from the face of the old man, he could stand it no longer. Leaping over three other men, he picked up the copper kettle by the stove and brought it down hard on the heads of Shem and Clefus. When they appeared dazed, he turned it over, brought it down on the head of Muley and left it there.

The preacher wiped the blood from his face and proceeded to speak. His sermon consumed the better part of an hour but even before he had ended his pleas, a line had formed. His invitation to more penitents was all that remained.

Robert sat on his bench with head bowed and his eyes wet with tears. He did not enter the line of converts; in fact, he was ready to leave the building. He resisted raising his head for fear the pleading eyes of the older man would be there searching out his own.

Presently an unsteady arm rested on his shoulder.

“Let’s get out of here, Robert. I didn’t know we was makin’ you mad. We just wanted to do a little hell-raisin’. You plumb near knocked me senseless. Clefus and Shem still can’t hardly get on their feet.”

“Go away,” Robert whispered.

“I ain’t goin’ to leave you.”

Women and children near the front of the room started to sing as he pushed Muley away from him.

“Come on. Robert.”

“I’ve got to go down there.”

“You outa’ your head? Why that old sin-socker is just runnin’ this business for the money,” Muley argued.

“Not this one. He didn’t even take up ‘a collection, and it wouldn’t matter anyway. I’ve got to go down there. Get out If my way.”

Muley stood aside until Robert made his way down the aisle and fell upon the wrinkled neck of his deliverer.

When the building was cleared of all the other people, Robert faced the elderly preacher, who now stood shivering from the cold. Suddenly the boy felt drained of words. And. He too was shivering. He picked up two of the corncobs at the Preacher’s feet and gripped his fist tightly around each until he could feel the sharp edges of the outer cob collapse.

“Maybe if I put a few of these in the stove we could get some heat back in this place,” Robert said.

The older man stopped blotting the shallow cuts on his face and put his red bandanna handkerchief in his hip pocket. “I can’t think of any better use for them.” He chuckled and assisted Robert.

“I want to apologize for the way the men from the tavern acted,” Robert began. “They’re not such bad people – not so bad at all.”

“Most of the smoke and anguish of hell will surely come from people who don’t think themselves bad.”

Robert swallowed hard and made his confession complete. “I was with them. I came from the tavern. So were three other men who were in the line and made their professions of faith in Christ.”

“God bless each of you” – the older man smiled again “and we’ll keep working on all the rest of them. They will probably look upon you and the three others with contempt. The four of you will be a reminder to them – a painful reminder they would just as soon forget but cannot.”

“I will certainly do my best to see that no rowdy crowd comes up here again and bothers you – even if I have to knock them down the stairs with this poker.”

“That is not the way of the Savior, my young brother. You do want to be more like Him?”

“Yes.”

“Then he who would be more like the Christ must study the Bible and learn of His life and works. Imitate Him in all your thoughts and deeds. You are not so foolish as to think that that will come easy?”

“No,” Robert said.

The short life of the burning corncobs left the room chilled again, and the older man stood with great effort. “My aging joints do not work well in the cold,” he said apologetically. “One day you will be old, and understand.”

“Will I see you again?” Robert asked.

“Oh yes. Our business is not complete. We cannot baptize in the cold months of winter, but I shall be back in the spring – about May – with a host of others, God willing, and we shall cause the waters of the Holston to froth as they carry away the sins of His new sheep.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be honest. I'm not going to read that very very long post.

Mans ways and Gods ways are not the same. I have plenty I have forgiven other people for myself, violence my whole childhood. From as young as I can remember I would get hit by my dad and older brothers, sometimes literally knocking me off my feet and I would land a few meters away. And constant name calling and verbal abuse as well. Every day until I was in my teens. Rarely a moments rest at home. Having to clean the house, do the washing up, etc from about the age of 4 for a few pennies pocket money. And if it wasnt good enough I got beaten up for it.

I forgave them. That wasnt what I wanted to do before I got saved. I also now understand that all of mankind is sinful and we can only be brought into righteousness by Gods grace. Sin separates man from God, whether we consider it a minor sin or major. Sin is just sin, that which comes between us and God. Once you can see it that way it becomes easier to ask for forgiveness for our sins and to forgive others. As I said earlier, the first step is to choose that you want to forgive them. The alternative is to hold on to resentment and unforgiveness. If nothing else holding onto it is very bad for your health.

I still have a lot of issues I am working through with God, but I am being healed far more than any man could do. I no longer need revenge because I have been made whole in Jesus. There used to be an emptiness and longing in my life. I tried to fill it with lots of things, drink, drugs, sex, power, etc but nothing worked until God filled it.

I expect you know the emptiness I am talking about.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
Psalm 13

It should not come as a surprise to us that God allows some people to suffer horrifically, and for no fault of their own. Consider what God allowed Job to endure, and God never told him why.

I too have been through absolutely incredible pain in my life. People say that God will not allow anything to happen to you that you can't handle, but this is not true. I BROKE. The betrayals and economic hardships were so hard that I ended up in a mental hospital, talking to people who weren't there, constantly pacing, unable to stop crying for days, unable to sleep for days, and when I finally did sleep I only had nightmares of demons torturing me. It hurts just to remember it.

I don't know what it's like to lose my heat, but I've had my electricity turned off and used candles or sat in the dark, and had food rotting in my refrigerator.

I guess what I am say is:

1. You are not alone.

Have you ever heard the legend of King Solomon's ring?

One day Solomon decided to humble Benaiah ben Yehoyada, his most trusted minister. He said to him, "Benaiah, there is a certain ring that I want you to bring to me. I wish to wear it for the Sukkot festival, which gives you six months to find it."

"If it exists anywhere on earth, your majesty," replied Benaiah, "I will find it and bring it to you, but what makes the ring so special?"

"It has special powers," answered the king. "If a happy man looks at it, he becomes sad, and if a sad man looks at it, he becomes happy." Solomon knew that no such ring existed in the world, but he wished to give his minister some added humility.

Spring passed and then summer, and still Benaiah had no idea where he could find the ring. On the day before Sukkot, he decided to take a walk in one of the poorest quarters of Jerusalem. He passed by a merchant who had begun to set out the day's wares on a shabby carpet. "Have you by any chance heard of a special ring that makes the happy wearer forget his joy and the broken-hearted wearer forget his sorrows?" asked Benaiah.

He watched the elderly man take a plain gold ring from his carpet and engrave something on it. When Benaiah read the words on the ring, his face broke out in a wide smile.

That night the entire city welcomed in the holiday of Sukkot with great festivity. "Well, my friend," said King Solomon, "have you found what I sent you after?" All the ministers laughed and Solomon himself smiled.

To everyone's surprise, Benaiah held up a small gold ring and declared, "Here it is, your majesty!" As soon as Solomon read the inscription, the smile vanished from his face. The jeweler had written three Hebrew letters on the gold band: Gimel, Zayin, Yud, which begin the words "Gam zeh ya'avor - This too shall pass."

At that moment Solomon realized that all his wisdom and fabulous wealth and tremendous power were but fleeting things, for one day he would be nothing but dust.

2. This too shall pass.

There is a Yiddish (Jewish) folktale from Russia that I think you will also appreciate.

Once upon a time in a small village a poor unfortunate man lived with his mother, his wife, and his six children in a little one-room hut. Because they were so crowded, the man and his wife often argued. The children were noisy, and they fought. In winter, when the nights were long and the days were cold, life was especially hard. The hut was full of crying and quarreling. One day, when the poor unfortunate man couldn’t stand it any more, he ran to the Rabbi for advice.

“Holy Rabbi,” he cried, “things are in a bad way with me, and getting worse. We are so poor that my mother, my wife, my six children, and I all live together in one small hut. We are too crowded, and there’s so much noise. Help me, Rabbi. I’ll do whatever you say.”

The Rabbi thought and pulled on his beard. At last he said, “Tell me, my poor man, do you have any animals, perhaps a chicken or two?”

“Yes,” said the man. “I do have a few chickens, also a rooster and a goose.

“Ah, fine,” said the Rabbi. “Now go home and take the chickens, the rooster, and the goose into your hut to live with you.”

“Yes indeed, Rabbi,” said the man, though he was a bit surprised.
The poor unfortunate man hurried home and took the chickens, the rooster, and the goose out of the shed and into his little hut.

When some days or a week had gone by, life in the hut was worse than before. Now with the quarreling and crying there was honking, crowing, and clucking. There were feathers in the soup. The hut stayed just as small and the children grew bigger. When the poor unfortunate man couldn’t stand it any longer, he again ran to the Rabbi for help.

“Holy Rabbi,” he cried, “see what a misfortune has befallen me. Now with the crying and quarreling, with the honking, clucking, and crowing, there are feathers in the soup. Rabbi, it couldn’t be worse. Help me, please.”

The Rabbi listened and thought. At last he said, “Tell me, do you happen to have a goat?”

“Oh, yes, I do have an old goat, but he’s not worth much.”

“Excellent,” said the Rabbi. “Now go home and take the old goat into your hut to live with you.”

“Ah, no! Do you really mean it, Rabbi?” cried the man.

“Come, come now, my good man, and do as I say at once,” said the Rabbi.

The poor unfortunate man tramped back home with his head hanging down and took the goat into his hut.

When some days or a week had gone by, life in the little hut was much worse. Now, with the crying, quarreling, clucking, honking, and crowing, the goat went wild, pushing and butting everyone with his horns. The hut seemed smaller, the children grew bigger.
When the poor unfortunate man couldn’t stand it another minute, he again ran to the Rabbi.

“Holy Rabbi, help me!” he screamed. “Now the goat is running wild. My life is a nightmare.”

The Rabbi listened and thought. At last he said, “Tell me, my poor man. Is it possible that you have a cow? Young or old doesn’t matter.”

“Yes, Rabbi, it’s true I have a cow,” said the poor man fearfully.

“Go home then,” said the Rabbi, “and take the cow into your hut.”

“Oh, no, surely not, Rabbi!” cried the man.

“Do it at once,” said the Rabbi.

The poor unfortunate man trudged home with a heavy heart and took the cow into his hut. Is the Rabbi crazy? he thought.

When some days or a week had gone by, life in the hut was very much worse than before. Everyone quarreled, even the chickens. The goat ran wild. The cow trampled everything. The poor man could hardly believe his misfortune. At last, when he could stand it no longer, he ran to the Rabbi for help.

“Holy Rabbi,” he shrieked, “help me, save me, the end of the world has come! The cow is trampling everything. There is no room even to breathe. It’s worse than a nightmare!”

The Rabbi listened and thought. At last he said, “Go home now, my poor unfortunate man, and let the animals out of your hut.”

“I will, I will, I’ll do it right away,” said the man.

The poor unfortunate man hurried home and let the cow, the goat, the chickens, the goose, and the rooster out of his little hut.
That night the poor man and all his family slept peacefully. There was no crowing, no clucking, no honking. There was plenty of room to breathe.

The very next day the poor man ran back to the Rabbi.

“Holy Rabbi,” he cried, “you have made life sweet for me. With just my family in the hut, it’s so quiet, so roomy, so peaceful… What a pleasure!”

3. It could always be worse.

Here is my advice. Take a deep breath and say aloud, "This stinks but it is out of my control." Stop asking why or blaming yourself. Realize there is hope in the future because this is temporary. Make a list of all the good thing you still have to be grateful for and stick it on your fridge: a roof over your head, clothes to wear, electricity, birds singing in the trees, a soft bed to sleep in, a new day of possibilities, etc... Read it often. These skills have helped me, so I pass them on to you.

Upvote 0