• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Can Herd Immunity Be Reached?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by mark46, Jun 12, 2021.

1. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,126
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Let us say that 80% is the threshold; that is, 80% fully protected against COVID 19: those vaccinated plus those who have had the disease.

In Bid America, the vaccination number will be well over 70%. The open question is the number who have already been infected.

In the Trump Belt, the total numbers lag a bit. We need to wait until more and more are infected. But, the immunity level will likely be reached, just with lots more COVID infections. Death rates continue to go down because of better treatment choices.

SOLUTIONS - TWO AMERICAS
    In Trump America, let the unvaccinated (including children) congregate wherever they want WITH EACH OTHER. Let them go with other unvaccinated to special cruises, to their own sections at ball games, to their own super-church assemblies, to weddings for the unvaccinated, and wherever else they choose to congregate.

In the meantime, the solution in the rest of the country is simple. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Colleges will require vaccinations. Schools for those over 12 should (and likely) will require vaccinations. And just perhaps, young children can be vaccinated before the variants that favor children are dominant in the US.

The US is open for business and pleasure. Concerts for the vaccinated will be held in the next couple of weeks in Biden America. Trump America can have its Concerts For The Unvaccinated if they wish to do so.

THE RESULT
    The new cases will be reduced to almost zero in Biden America through vaccinations. In Trump America, cases will be reduced to almost zero a bit later, though hundreds of thousands of additional cases, but relatively few deaths.

BOTTOM LINE
    Biden has decided not to enforce vaccinations or to have vaccination cards. AS TRUMP DID, he is leaving these choices to the states. However, it does seem that the end of the pandemic is in sight. The major future question marks are the vaccination of children, and the need for boosters against variants, especially those that affect children at a greater rate.

A NOTE
    Obviously, those who live in Trump America will have an additional set of options.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. civilwarbuff

civilwarbuff Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,507
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Wait a second....
    If you are vaccinated why should you care about if you associate with non-vaccinated persons? Do you not trust your vaccination? I you don't then why did you get it? And if you do who cares who you associate with? Or is this just fear mongering? Or maybe a not so sly slap at Trump and his supporters?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. GreatLakes4Ever

GreatLakes4Ever Well-Known Member

+3,502
    United States
    Humanist
    Engaged
    Every person this virus infects is another chance for it to mutate. Most mutations are irrelevant, but if I t mutates in a way that it can beat our vaccines, we all go back to square one. It behooves us to limit the chances this virus gets. If enough people get vaccinated before it can find the mutation to escape our vaccines, the virus runs out of people to infect and it’s curtains on COVID-19. Do you want to go back to mid-March 2020? You’re flirting with it when you are talking about skipping vaccination.

4. civilwarbuff

+6,507
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Please point out to me where I even remotely alluded to any such thing

So what are you going to do?.......Live your life in fear?......Stay away from the 'others'.......Have them isolated because you are afraid?.......Have you ever received a vaccine that was 100% effective?.......If so, I'd love to hear about it........

5. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath Supporter

+4,409
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    There’s a fifty-fifty chance that it mutates to a less virulent, less deadly form. A “bad cold”. It’s already endemic. It’ll go either way, the only thing that we can do until the cases start letting us know which way it’s going to break...is to put it off as long as is possible. That’s why we need herd immunity.

This notion that “we might as well get it over with” attitude is a valid viewpoint, but imma go with the kick-it-down-the-road, stretch out the time as long as possible.

6. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,489
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm not motivated exclusively by self-interest. If you care about your fellow Americans, then you'll want them to get vaccinated. If we want to defeat this virus, we have to work together.

If you've never had polio, it's because of herd immunity in the United States. We can do our part to protect future generations by ensuring we all get vaccinated.

Polio Elimination in the U.S.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. morningstar2651

+2,489
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    It doesn't have to be 100% effective if we achieve herd immunity.

This video will give you a pretty good overview of the epidemic, endemic, and eradication phases of infectious disease. Our goal is to successfully hit that eradication phase.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. civilwarbuff

+6,507
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    What exactly does this have to do with the questions I asked?

9. civilwarbuff

+6,507
    Christian
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I don't believe you understand what herd immunity actually means:
    : a reduction in the risk of infection with a specific communicable disease (such as measles or influenza) that occurs when a significant proportion of the population has become immune to infection (as because of previous exposure or vaccination) so that susceptible individuals are much less likely to come in contact with infected individuals Merriam-Webster
    Far too many people take herd immunity to mean complete immunity for a population which is not true......

The only disease that has been successfully eradicated (TTBOMK) is smallpox and that is only after a many decades long effort against it.

I skipped to the very end of your video looking for the source and did not find any organization that I recognized as authoritative so I just decline to view it. Maybe try something better........

10. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+42,476
    Christian
    I believe my state is very close to herd immunity but then we may have a spike because of illegals coming here bringing it with them but once they infect those around them and get enough of themselves immune in 6-8 weeks perhaps the numbers will fall even lower.

11. morningstar2651

+2,489
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    I'll break it down in more detail for you

I want the people I associate with and their families to survive this pandemic. I care if they live or die. I'm not concerned that my association with them will kill me. I care about other people.

I'm not afraid I'll catch the virus from them or that they'll catch it from me.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I'm not sure what you're asking here, either.

No.

No. Some of those friends and family I associate with are Trump supporters, and I would prefer they survive this pandemic.

This doesn't need to be a partisan thing. We all have a vested interest in defeating this virus.

12. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,473
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    There will be countries and some progressive states that will reach herd immunity, and then there are states full of belligerently self destructive people. We can only hope that these countries and states will serve as models for the others.

13. morningstar2651

+2,489
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Why would I waste my time providing you with resources if you'll just ignore them? That's not much incentive for me to provide you with any more evidence, is it?

14. mark46

+4,126
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Consider the self destructive states. Their vaccination rates may only reach 50%. The open question is how many will get COVID, or have already had COVID. In the end (truly the end for many), they may reach hered immunity because enough people get infected.

15. mark46

+4,126
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If there are mutants that where our vaccines aren't effective, then the companies will have boosters to treat the new vaccines in a couple of months. They are constantly working on them, just in case one of the variants proves untreatable by current vaccines, none yet, after a BILLION vaccinations.

16. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,473
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    But it is through the spread of COVID that mutations occur which perpetuate the disease in forms that could be more contagious, more deadly, more disabling, or all three.

17. morningstar2651

+2,489
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    If you check out that video I posted earlier, it explains why you need a vaccination rate at roughly the target for herd immunity to successfully eradicate the disease from the population.

Immunity isn't inherited when new children are born.

With an R0 of 5.7, at least 82% of the population needs to be immune to COVID-19 to stop its transmission through vaccination and herd immunity.

This is really hard to pull off, and even harder when people are actively avoiding the free vaccine.

18. mama2one

mama2one Well-Known Member

+8,338
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    follow

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  19. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+11,838
    Atheist
    Private
    Won't the latter reach herd immunity by killing a bunch of older folks - all the while voting for candidates who pay lip service to being pro-life?

20. Tiberius Lee

Tiberius Lee Well-Known Member

+1,920
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    The party of pro-life who tells woman how to treat their body, they will not take vaccine and hide behind “ it’s my freedom, it’s my body, it’s my choice”. So , no I don’t think you will get hard immunity in USA. At least not in red states. But don't you worry, they will keep telling women what they should do with their body!