Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is perhaps the biggest struggle in my mind as I approach Christianity. I've heard many things about the strength of the written word and the peace the Bible brings them but I cannot agree with everything in it nor can I be sure that these words written by men truly reflect the heart of God. Of course, it's not easy for me to bring this up in casual conversation so I hope that y'all's responses can maybe offer me some perspective? Please understand that I mean no offense at all by this question.

I personally never believed the Bible until God proved to me it was true.

When I was a new Christian, I had made Jesus my Lord. Then I heard a prophet of God preaching, and God supernaturally convinced me of scripture.

X person was to be healed, because God's word said it, and supernatural faith hit me to believe God's word.

You believe God's word by hearing it, and by reading it. God has to open the understanding to allow you to believe, but this can't occur, if you don't make the choice to read it. I didn't say believe it, I said exposure to it.

When you're in this phase, exposure to God's word is what God requires to open your heart so you can believe legitimately. God does not force you to accept his word, when you have no basis to accept it. That's not God, and that's not scriptural. Neither is demanding signs from God to believe in his word scriptural.

Rather, just let the teacher teach, and he will show it to you.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible was written by men. The Bible contains both truth and error. Some learned an omnipotent God exists after reading the Bible.

The chief priests were using the Hebrew Bible to condemn Jesus as he did some work on the Sabbath including healing the sick. They treated him like an outlaw. Jesus was saying that the Sabbath was for man, not man for the Sabbath. Jesus said God works seven days a week (John 5). Jesus was arrested in the Kidron Valley and taken to the house of Caiphas. He was asked if he was the Messiah, the son of God. He said he was. They urged Pilate to have him executed. These were Jews who were familiar with the text of the Law and the Prophets. Jesus died and was raised up again.

The Bible was a work written by men, parts inspired by God. To understand Jesus' teachings and do as he did leads to life everlasting.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

ldonjohn

Sep 20, 2013
✟81,277.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is perhaps the biggest struggle in my mind as I approach Christianity. I've heard many things about the strength of the written word and the peace the Bible brings them but I cannot agree with everything in it nor can I be sure that these words written by men truly reflect the heart of God. Of course, it's not easy for me to bring this up in casual conversation so I hope that y'all's responses can maybe offer me some perspective? Please understand that I mean no offense at all by this question.

LostEve, I'm not saying that you are an atheist, but I am posting a link to an article written by a former atheist who became a believer after doing an investigation of the bible. Also, I am including a link to an article about allegory used in the bible. You might find some information in one or both of them that could help you.

1. “From Atheism to Christianity:a Personal Story.”[18 June 2016]

http://www.bethinking.org/is-christianity-true/from-atheism-to-christianity-a-personal-journey

Does the Bible contain allegory? Got Questions Ministry, n.d. Web [18 June 2016]

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-allegory.html
Don

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
There's something in the bible that someone quoted to me when trying to convert me to their Christian faith. That all of nature is proof of god. And there is therefore no excuse to not believe in natures god.

I can go along with that if someone believes in a creator that made everything. Nature would be a bible of its own in that sense.
When it comes to a god by the book as many Christians I know are believers in that's something else. A god didn't literally write the bible. Men who claimed to be inspired to take notes or transcribe what they heard what they called god say wrote the bible.
Then there's the very obvious part. Or at least for me. The god that is in the bible said he made humans in his image. And yet, he has the same personality as people. He's jealous. He's vein. He's possessive. He's vengeful. He kills. He judges. He is insecure. He is self-absorbed. And he's mean. If he was a human he'd be the greatest serial killer of all time. Drowning the world of people he made to be exactly as they are because they disappoint is mean. He saved 8 people. To what? Repopulate? How?

Why did he plant that tree that let people he knew would eat its fruit? How did his arch enemy enter the garden disguised as a snake? When god is all knowing and in all places all the time? It was a set up right?
And how are people damned for being intelligent? How could the first one's obey right and avoid wrong without having the requisite knowledge of right and wrong? Until they ate that fruit that imparted knowledge?

Would you punish a newborn baby for doing the wrong thing after you told them a rule to do the right thing?

I think the bible is human ego and pride. The ultimate political handbook for societal control based on a paradigm that manufactures fascism as an invisible force. Jesus saved the world from sin. And yet the believer in him can still sin?
He said, be perfect as I am perfect. But you're born guilty of sin and imperfect? And have to struggle all the days of your life to be approved? Forgiven? Redeemed? From what?
Christians seek salvation. I get that. But I wonder if they realize according to the first book they're asking to be saved from the wrath of the god they worship in two forms. The father and the son. Who came to rework everything the father did in the beginning.

I hope if there is a god that it is separate from the one man created and describes in the bible. Because he's like the worst person but with all the power in the universe to make the rules and enforce the rules he makes. Whether they make sense or not.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
LostEve19 said:
To answer the question in the title; No, not really. The Bible is the only record of God's message to mankind. The Bible is the only source of information about who God is and what He really wants to do and wants us to do. To try to understand God from any other perspective is essentially to create God in one's own image. (Which has been done and is still being done all the time, by the way.)

Yes. I agree there are parts and teachings which seem to offend one's sensibilities and certainly contradict some 'modern' thinking. They actually do make sense, but only when viewed in the light of God's grace. It's a 'double or nothing' sort of proposition. And it's (the terms of the deal) not negotiable. Which, from a secular, human standpoint isn't the most cockle-warming idea either. Still, that's the deal.

I can tell you it is much easier - in terms of self-conflict and such - once in than out and wondering. Still, you have to make the decision to accept it or not.

Just for the tally-book, I'm not offended by honesty. Your question sounds more honest than many on the subject. I will be praying for you, Eve.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You must remember that the gospel at its core is simple and anyone who attempts to complicate it is deceiving you,read your bible for yourself and pray for the understanding and it will come,avoid the desire for quick answers from "experts"

Upvote 0

Born Again2004

May 10, 2016
Texas
✟8,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No offense but to be "Born Again" and realize that Jesus and God are real, I have no problem believing every word of the Bible!

Upvote 0