Can earth be Billions of years old and 6000 at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmando

Nov 19, 2003
USA
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When God created everything he created them already at a certian age correct?

When he created the trees he did not create them as a seed in the ground he created already grown.

Just as with Adam he was not created as a Baby. He was created as a grown man.

What about the earth? was it created already billions of years old around 6000 years ago?

Just a thought <><

Katmando

Nov 19, 2003
USA
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chi_Cygni said:
NO

I have always considered this bizarre fundamentalist claptrap.
No trickery here. Just the miricle of God.

Chi_Cygni said:
Plus as people will point out it makes God a deceiver and prankster at best, and a liar at worst.

Please expand on this how is this deceiving, a prank or lie?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I dunno. Was the world created last Tuesday, just created old?

I see no point in speculating about all of these things; it seems easier to just accept that the oldness is part of the world as created, and that, in any practical sense, it went through all that time. I don't care whether it's last Tuesday, or 6,000 years ago, or 15 billion years ago; it acts old.

Upvote 0

Chi_Cygni

Nov 10, 2003
From parts unknown
✟1,221.00
Faith
Anglican
Because it means God created a history that never happened.

Thus he put fossils in the ground that were animals that never lived. And when we find these things and we get dates that are very old for them it means God has tricked us - i.e. he is a liar or trickster.

You may have heard of people asking - Did Adam have a belly button or not? If you believe the Bible he didn't need one as he wasn't born of a mother. Similar problem.

Upvote 0

Katmando

Nov 19, 2003
USA
✟7,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chi_Cygni said:
Because it means God created a history that never happened.

Thus he put fossils in the ground that were animals that never lived. And when we find these things and we get dates that are very old for them it means God has tricked us - i.e. he is a liar or trickster.

You may have heard of people asking - Did Adam have a belly button or not? If you believe the Bible he didn't need one as he wasn't born of a mother. Similar problem.

with that said then would you think if God created Adam as a man (not fertilized egg) then God has tricked us?

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." <><

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Late_Cretaceous

&lt;font color=&quot;#880000&quot; &gt;&lt;/font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
What about the light from distant stars and galaxies? I suppose that light was created "already in transit", which of course means that the light was never actually emitted from said stars or galaxies - and therefore we would never be sure if those distant objects really exist. Maybe, all that stuff out there is just an optical illusion.

Upvote 0
A

Ark Guy

Late_Cretaceous said:
What about the light from distant stars and galaxies? I suppose that light was created "already in transit", which of course means that the light was never actually emitted from said stars or galaxies - and therefore we would never be sure if those distant objects really exist. Maybe, all that stuff out there is just an optical illusion.

What is wrong with the instant creation of light already in transit?
That is just one theory.

The other is that light was faster in the past.

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
Katmando said:
When God created everything he created them already at a certian age correct?
The Hebrew indicates that God created the universe, but made virtually everything else from the matter already made from the initial creation in the beginning of time. The exception is that he also created our souls. The Bible does not say anything about the individual items being created at a particular age.

When he created the trees he did not create them as a seed in the ground he created already grown.
Technically, God did not create the trees or the seeds; He made or formed them from preexisting matter. The Hebrew bara (to create out of nothing) is used three times in the creation account: once when he created the universe (or heavens and earth), and twice when discussing the creation of the soul.

Just as with Adam he was not created as a Baby. He was created as a grown man.
That is the most likely reading from most English translations; the Hebrew is less clear on that point.

What about the earth? was it created already billions of years old around 6000 years ago?

Just a thought <><
Again, the Bible does not indicate that was done, though its wording can be easily interpreted to support either the "young earth" view (6000 to 60,000 earth years) or the "old earth" view (billions of earth years old). Since, however, that would indicate that God was attempting to deceave us and since the Bible states that God is truth and is not deceptive, I would caution against such a theory.

However, your topic question was "Can earth be Billions of years old and 6000 at the same time?" If the creative process is measured forward in time with the creative process (at the speed of the outward thrust and using the cosmic background radiation and temperature changes to help determine the speed of the outward thrust) then it would be quite possible. In fact, because of time dilation, six earth days (144 hours) measured in such a fashion would equal 13.5-16 billion years (depending upon certain variables regarding the speed of the outward thrust) measured from our perspective looking back toward the initial moment of creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which, of course, is simply saying that the earth has, indeed, experienced billions of years of history, but there is a way to consider this six literal days from our perspective, which is helpful to those who want to read Genesis 1 and the genealogies literally. This makes no difference to me. The bottom line is that the evidence from the earth and the universe does not support the idea that the earth was created in 4,000 B.C. to 8,000 B.C., but instead that the earth and universe have experienced billions of years of passing time.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat