Scientists get closer to solving chemical puzzle of the origin of life - synthesis of pantetheine

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
People have long scratched their heads trying to understand how life ever got going after the formation of Earth billions of years ago. Now, chemists have partly unlocked the recipe by creating a complex compound essential to all life — in a lab.

The pathway, which has evaded scientists for decades, involved relatively simple molecules probably present on early Earth that combined at room temperature over months.

The new lab experiment focused on the origins of another primary metabolite: coenzyme A, which sits at the heart of metabolism across all domains of life (as one of its many functions).

Specifically, Powner and his team were looking to re-create a particular fragment of the coenzyme A molecule called pantetheine. Pantetheine is the functional arm of coenzyme A, often getting transferred and enabling other chemical reactions in our body to occur.

Some researchers, Goldman said, have proposed that early lifeforms could have used pantetheine to store energy before the evolution of the larger, more complex energy currency that cells use today.

The compound is such an odd duckling that scientists previously proposed it was too intricate to make from basic molecules. Others have tried to create pantetheine and failed, thinking that it wasn’t even present at life’s origins.

Nevertheless, the team took to the lab. They focused on primarily using materials that could have been abundant on early Earth, like hydrogen cyanide and water. The first few steps of the reaction each took about a day, but the final step lasted 60 days, which was the longest reaction that Powner’s lab has ever done. The team finally shut off the reaction “partly because we got bored,” he said. But the result was a lot of pantetheine.

The team chalked up its success compared with failed studies by others to the use of nitrogen-based compounds called nitriles.

“This is another beautiful example of how the molecules of life, even more complex ones like coenzymes, are predisposed to form,” said chemist Joseph Moran, who was not involved in the study.

sesquiterpene

Sep 14, 2018
USA
✟160,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
People have long scratched their heads trying to understand how life ever got going after the formation of Earth billions of years ago. Now, chemists have partly unlocked the recipe by creating a complex compound essential to all life — in a lab.

The pathway, which has evaded scientists for decades, involved relatively simple molecules probably present on early Earth that combined at room temperature over months.

The new lab experiment focused on the origins of another primary metabolite: coenzyme A, which sits at the heart of metabolism across all domains of life (as one of its many functions).

Specifically, Powner and his team were looking to re-create a particular fragment of the coenzyme A molecule called pantetheine. Pantetheine is the functional arm of coenzyme A, often getting transferred and enabling other chemical reactions in our body to occur.

Some researchers, Goldman said, have proposed that early lifeforms could have used pantetheine to store energy before the evolution of the larger, more complex energy currency that cells use today.

The compound is such an odd duckling that scientists previously proposed it was too intricate to make from basic molecules. Others have tried to create pantetheine and failed, thinking that it wasn’t even present at life’s origins.

Nevertheless, the team took to the lab. They focused on primarily using materials that could have been abundant on early Earth, like hydrogen cyanide and water. The first few steps of the reaction each took about a day, but the final step lasted 60 days, which was the longest reaction that Powner’s lab has ever done. The team finally shut off the reaction “partly because we got bored,” he said. But the result was a lot of pantetheine.

The team chalked up its success compared with failed studies by others to the use of nitrogen-based compounds called nitriles.

“This is another beautiful example of how the molecules of life, even more complex ones like coenzymes, are predisposed to form,” said chemist Joseph Moran, who was not involved in the study.
I always like seeing the structures:

1709257144051.png

Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Would you say its reasobable to think that
given millions of years and 330,000,000 cubic
miles of water, that any reaction that is possible
will eventually occur ?
Billions

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sounds to me like someone will eventually make abiogenesis and evolution sound so simple a child could understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"could have been" .... just another theory.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"could have been"
Sure, but this is still an important finding. Some of the usual nay-sayers have asserted this could not have happened. That it is impossible.

This experiment proves them wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The team finally shut off the reaction “partly because we got bored,” he said.
This made me chuckle. Scientists getting bored in the lab reminds me of The Far Side, by Gary Larson, and makes me wonder what might happen if the experiment ran a while longer.

Would you say its reasobable to think that
given millions of years and 330,000,000 cubic
miles of water, that any reaction that is possible
will eventually occur ?
Or are you wondering whether it's reasonable to say that with the right ingredients, given millions of Earth years and 330,000,000 cubic feet of water, would necessarily produce all reactions that we are presently familiar with? If so, that's quite different than all possible reactions in a more general sense.

"Any reaction that is possible" is asking for a lot. There may be elements, compounds, and other factors that first develop in remote parts of the universe. Only making their way here over longer stretches of time. If their paths ever intersect with our Solar system in the first place.

Billions? Earth formation: 4.5 bya. First life: 3.5 bya or earlier. That's one billion at most.
What if we doubled or more the age of the Earth? Would "any reaction that is possible" have occurred even by then? I'm inclined to think that isn't likely, but I'm interested in hearing the reasons why some might figure that it is. The universe is vast and what we see here only tells us so much about what might happen elsewhere in it. For instance, some reactions might only occur under circumstances that aren't prone to develop within a given time frame on this particular planet. Then again, if we're only talking about what has happened on Earth up to this point, at the very least we know that what we've observed here is possible. It doesn't necessarily speak for other potentialities.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What if we doubled or more the age of the Earth? Would "any reaction that is possible" have occurred even by then? I'm inclined to think that isn't likely, but I'm interested in hearing the reasons why some might figure that it is. The universe is vast and what we see here only tells us so much about what might happen elsewhere in it.
I think there may be different understandings of what is meant by the phrase "possible reactions". My take is that this references reactions that meet the following conditions:
  1. Reactions for which the chemicals, or precursors of those chemicals, required for the reaction may plausibly be expected to be present.
  2. That there is a finite possibility that under the right circumstances the reaction has a finite possibly of occuring.
  3. That the environmental conditions necessary for the reaction are plausible for primeval Earth.
  4. That reactions can reasonably considered to be possibly related to emergence of life.
Given those constraints then it seems that most possible reactions will occur many time within a time periods of millions of years. What remains questionable is can all reactions necessary for the emergence of life occur in sufficient temporal and spatial juxtaposition to lead to that emergence.

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think there may be different understandings of what is meant by the phrase "possible reactions". My take is that this references reactions that meet the following conditions:
  1. Reactions for which the chemicals, or precursors of those chemicals, required for the reaction may plausibly be expected to be present.
  2. That there is a finite possibility that under the right circumstances the reaction has a finite possibly of occuring.
  3. That the environmental conditions necessary for the reaction are plausible for primeval Earth.
  4. That reactions can reasonably considered to be possibly related to emergence of life.
Given those constraints then it seems that most possible reactions will occur many time within a time periods of millions of years. What remains questionable is can all reactions necessary for the emergence of life occur in sufficient temporal and spatial juxtaposition to lead to that emergence.
I assumed any kind of a chemist
would take it that it that my q was about
earth in the deep past, as per what you
outlined there.

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. Yes. I mostly see it that way, too. However, what would you say of meteor strikes and similar outside factors that introduce new variables over time? The conditions and apparently interstellar ingredients on Earth remain dynamic to this day. If perhaps less so today than when pantetheine first formed.

I'm somewhat skeptical of the idea that we would observe all possible outcomes within such a relatively short time frame. The universe is dynamic rather than static. Which isn't to suggest infinite possible reactions here. Rather, to question the idea that we would see "all possible" reactions within such relatively constrained limits of time and space. Especially, on a planet that has a history of being hit with extraplanitary objects. Some of which may be interstellar in origin.

My opinion is that it's a good question, but I don't think it's necessarily the most reasonable position to hold in light of how dynamic the universe can be or once was. The conditions for life on Earth apparently weren't right for a very long time. That may have been for lack of key ingredients and conditions that were introduced later.

Knowing what we've learned, we may be able to replicate the formation of other early life precursors. However, even if we could make a mouse in a lab that way it's debatable whether we're truly creating life in a novel sense. Rather, we would be following a template of what we know works. Unless we stumble across something else that also works, of course. The potentialities that I mentioned earlier. Either way, it's fascinating to think about.

Upvote 0