loves_Jesus

Jan 13, 2011
Omaha, NE
✟7,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say because it's illegal the answer is no. God says to obey our government rules:
1 Peter 2:13-14 "Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and commend those who do right."

Upvote 0

perrfekt

Dec 25, 2010
NC
✟15,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
the same chemicals you take in to your body from smoking pot that have medical benefits are available in pill form. if your smoking the stuff for "medical" reasons when there are other proven methods of the same result, your doing it just to get high.

secondly, the op is not going to be smoking for "medical" reasons, its to get high. do so if you wish, but i went down the stoned road for a long time and there is nothing good that comes of it.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Suggest doing a study on cilia. And how inhaling smoke damages these little wonders of creation.

And as others have said, if we're being charged with positive energy from The Lord and His Spirit dwelling within, we experience a much purer and more wholesome "high" than can be had through "other means".

And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; <-----> Ephesians 5:18

May The Lord Be Pleased !

wm

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2011
✟15,113.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
**you CAN smoke weed in moderation. Weed is not a hardcore drug (in my opinion) I know its a controlled substance and I know its illegal, but thats my only problem with it. Is that its illegal. You as a Christian should obey the law. Having that said I don't obey all the speed limit signs religiously like I should. Do I think it can consume you. YES i do.

And don't think this is an uneducated guess, I have smoked weed as a teenager. Even after I converted for a while. But what it came down to for me is 1) I had God I really didn't need it it was just a social thing, and I stopped hanging out with the people I used to 2) Its not worth the risk of getting caught. I think if we look at it through unbiased eyes, we would see that weed is a plant that is found in nature unless its laced with something and in all my years as a teen, I never ran into it that. I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying it never happened to me.

But all that aside, if you smoked weed in its most pure form....being the plant only in a country where it was legal....no, I personally think that is 100% ok. You can get "addicted" to anything. Weed is no more addictive than your xbox console. If you start missing your time with God because you're on xbox live all the time, then you need to quit for a while, same with weed. It is not like crack, cocaine, ecstasy, meth, ect. Its not manufactured to "hook" you. So you CAN smoke it in moderation. I never ever ever got into smoking it frequently. I smoked it socially for about 5 years (socially being about 1 - 2 times a week), then less and less over the 3 years after I converted up until now just recently deciding it was too expensive and not worth the risk and that I didn't need it (not that i ever NEEDED it).

The key thing here is: EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. I have seen pot CONSUME people but its not the substance, its the person using it. like I said anything can be addicting. Its not like you take a hit and you just want more more more after your 20 minutes of being "stoned" is over. "If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away." Likewise, if this consumes you....cut it out. Don't go back. I mean, if speeding down the highway becomes a danger to you then take a cab if you can't resist the temptation. But I DO think that the vast majority of america does smoke weed, and those that do do it in moderation with no problem, its the "lost teen" and early adult crowd that has nothing to live for that gets sucked in to it so badly that they consider it an addiction. No one has ever died of weed, you cannot overdose on it. It has been linked to higher depression rates, but that data is controversial. I personally believe that it can worsen depression if that person is prone to it already.

Its up to you and your intentions in smoking it. Don't let it get you involved with the wrong "crowd" and what it comes down to is that the immediate sin would indeed be breaking the law. (or your parents if you're still under their roof)

And in response to the beer drinking example, i understand where you're coming from but there is different levels of "high" too. If you take 1 hit of a bowl its probably the equivalent of 1 beer on the drunk scale. So, you don't have to get "high". You can get "buzzed" just like the "buzz" you get from a beer at the end of your day to wind down a little bit. Also, i'd like to clarify "high" you don't see dancing mushrooms when you smoke weed, it calms your nerves....like a beer.

Its also much more physically safe for you than smoking a cigarette. Tobacco use has been linked to cancer because of all the carcinogens. (I dont know about tobacco in its purest for but I'm talking about all the chemicals in cigarettes after its been processed). The only risk you have when smoking it is the actual tar, not the carcinogens. And no one ever questioned my grandfather's faith after church when he lit up a cigar. Or after work to calm his nerves. Given they are not illegal.

If it weren't illegal it would be like asking if you could smoke an aloe vera. I mean....you could.....lol. Whatever you decide to do be aware that there are people out there that lace the stuff. God doesn't want us to harm our bodies, but like I said no one ever question my grandfather's faith when he lit up a cigar after church. All of these things are "mind altering" in some way, if your intent it to chill out and escape stress for a while be it beer or wine or weed or cigarettes in moderation (within the law) its fine in my opinion, if you're doing it because of your friends, maybe you better wait until you can decide for yourself outside their influence.

** I'd also like to point out my husband is having a really hard time weening himself off or cigarettes, and we decided to quit weed cold turkey earlier this year (he was a heavier smoker than I for weed)....if I had to choose one of the 2, I'd rather him smoke weed from all that he is going thru MENTALLY trying to ween himself off cigarettes. Weed was no problem. But the withdraw from cigarettes....thats another story.

Upvote 0

Maranatha27

Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Father and I have smoked a number together a couple of times, we are both devout Christians. I ejoyed his company very much and the conversation was honest. Ironically the converstion was all about the Bible, My Father pretending to stand on the top of the palace walls in Jerusalem, trying to imagine how David felt when he had a glow on and in charge of Gods people and kingdom. It was kind of cool actually. Though on the flipside his childhood friend is also a christian. He habitually smokes weed, All discusions with him about scripture quickly ends in weird conspiracy theories. Though as a student of the Bible, drug use is strictly warned against.

The Greek word &#8220;pharmakia&#8221; literally means &#8220;drugs&#8221;, and appears five times in the New Testament: in Gal 5:20, Rev 9:21, 18:23, 21:8, and 22:15.
&#8220;Pharmakia&#8221; is translated into our English Bible as either &#8220;witchcraft&#8221; or &#8220;sorceries&#8221;. We also get our English word &#8220;pharmacy&#8221; from the Greek word &#8220;pharmakia&#8221;.
In each of the above five passages, &#8220;pharmakia&#8221;, or &#8220;drugs&#8221; is listed as a work of the flesh of man as opposed to the Spirit of God working in us.

Upvote 0

Hand_of_Grace

Sep 22, 2010
Canada
✟7,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well the OP said that his friends were offering it. this leads me to assume this posteris a teen. social pressre is very influencial at any age but espescialy with teens... thier chemicals are all changing and stuff.

as for the question why would a christian want to smoke weed, that question operates on the assumtion that weed is negative. so far the problems i seen posted are

1) illegal. to that i ask the question can you distinguish between lgal and lawful? legal is statutory law. lawful is criminal law. pot is de criminalized here in canada but still illeagal- meaning not for publc use.

The Bible maks this distinction very clear. civil matters were for the priests. criminal matters were for Moses. Joshua was teh judicial force for either or. (real basic and crude overview of thier structure as nation)

and as the United Nations have recognized, the only lawful form of Government is a anyhow, i have law forum elsewhere if you wanna read all that stuff about your birth certificate and how our contract with the government works.

my point here is we arnot under the law. we as christians do recognize and respect the law, but mans laws do not apply to us the same way.
here is an example...

in the wild animals kill to eat. yet the law says not t kill. the assumption in that is that that law applies to animals too. animals can not commit murder. they can not hate. they cant kill for pleasure. Now thereare exeptions... some animals eat the young they reject.(after being parent i understand why) the laws given man do not apply t anuimals.

the laws given sinners apply to sinners.

2) mind altering well what do you think a vision is? Jhon was in a trance on patimos when he entered a vision that resulted in the book of Revelations.

the term mind altering is ambiguous and covers anything. i go from happy to sad, that too is mind altering. i drink a coffee or pop, or an energy drink at work.

3) God says to obey the government. to that i say that is limited subjection contingent upon our requirements to Gods service.Even in israel if the High priest himself enters a mans house, the Priest is under the head of the house's authority. but again limited subjection. Governments themselves are fictitious entities and only exist as an idea but those ideas are expressed and enforced by coporeal people. but are recgnized with natural person powers. I have seen first-hand in Canada a church persecuted by a minucipaliy for opening up a soup an hot dog line 1 a week in front of City hall after office hours for the homeless.That church obeyed God.Not government. they won in court after 4 years.
There is no way i will ever support or agree with any Government that forbids a church feeding homles people in Jesus name. even as i type that I feel a stir inside.

in no way do i promote civil dissadence. we are governed by a higher law. and our kingdom is not of this world. We are enrolled in the Citizenry of Heaven! our law as christians will never contravene any law man has that agrees with God. I live here on earth in limited subection. this is the devils house. not mine and i didnt ask to be here.

the whole legal argument against weed is ludicrous. i could go on for pages about laws in various countries. but i dont need mans government to obey God. as long as you dont think like a child (wich some governments want) assuming you have to ask before you do anything, then unless Gods law forbids it, then i personaly assume i can untill they activley tell me no i cant in writing under full comercial liability. So far they havent ever done that to me. they dont dare fall for that trick on a Christian who knows where he stands with God.

the only qualifying argument against smoking pot that i see here in this post is the absolute truth that Jesus is wayyy better that pot. but Jesus isnt going to imetiatley sedate my nerves everytime my feelings get fluttered. God expects us to handle some things as a man. After all He dd give us that freedom.

i see nowhere in scripture that says choose weed or Him. dealing in absolutes like that is rigidity. a sign of legalism, especially when those absoutes are extreme contrasts and limited to few choices. and dont bother posting all those scriptures that say whoever is a friend of the world is an enemy of God, or that one in Peter that says be not drunk with wine.... Pot is not wine.

and as for the context referance in colossians, that context is talking about food and festivals. did you know that evn under the law the high priests got stoned on hallucinagens? what do you think is in that inscense smoke? research it out... they were baked!

can a christian smoke pot and stay right with God? yes. am i preaching liscence to sin? no. sinners dont need a liscence. in fact no one needs a liscence to sin.

the closing statement i make now is, what purpose outside the self does it serve? does anyone else benefit from you smoking a joint? nope.

so on that ground i could say no to weed.

now all you posters that went on and on about how its illegal..... dont even dare claim that you never speed, jay walk, gather with your church in a park for a picnic

(yes every city has that bylaw that no more than a cirtain amount of people may congregate in a park. this by-law operates on the assumption that large groups cause large damage and big garbage mess.)

or even cheated on taxes, even though Jesus said render to Caeser that is Caesers. Every single one of you has broken Gods laws, and mans laws. so dont throw law at this young lads face and tell him to be a "good little christian" sickening.

as for the poster of this thread, if you are a teen, talk to your parents. regardless of all the opinions here, you MUST obey your parents.

if they say no, then it is no and trying to biblicaly justify your position is not right.
not uness they want you do do something like renounce your faith or something radical. other than that your parents dont need to explain themselves to you, neither do they need to justify anything to you. if they said no then dont challenge that. that can lead to a defiant stance later on.

No is no and you either accept no as no or rebel against God. if mom and dad dont want to negotuiate, suck it up like a man ( wooman) that you are becoming and fnid better frends.

be not decieved bad company corrupts Good character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (Amplified Bible)

19) Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,

20) You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

It doesn't matter if it's legal or not, it's wrong. Abortion is legal in the US, but how do you think God feels about that? Pre marital sex is legal, and so is homosexuality, but how do you think God feels about that.

Anybody that knows the difference between right and wrong can't try to justify their wrong actions by saying "it's legal" or, by saying "my parents said it was alright" and thinking God has to accept it because it's the law or because your parents allowed it. Try using those excuses when you stand before Him and see how far you get.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

december1990

Well, I would say be wise on this. I think you need some new friends because they seem to be from a bad crowd.

At the same time, I can't tell you what to do, you are your own ultimate decision maker. I'm sure if you talked to your parents they wouldn't be happy about your friend trying to get you to smoke weed either.

Well, hun, I don't know how old you are you seem pretty young but I would say.. Be wise and pray for your friend and then pray for you.

Trust me, weed leads to other things and drugs will lead you down a horrible road.

So be wise.

Do positive things and talk to your mom and dad about this and someone at church.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why did you ask? Do you have to ask if it's ok to smile? Do you have to ask if it's ok to have fun? or be Joyful?

If you have to ask IF something is ok--8 times out of 10 it's probably not. First off, it's illegal, whether it is moral or not, why risk it? Also some unsolicitied advice regarding friends--

Chose your inner circle carefully-it's great to have a good time in a crowd, like at a ballgame or concert, but when it comes to those you call friends, have some criteria.
Like Dependable, Trustworthy, Smart, for beginners-if your friends do not possess these characteristics, CHANGE friends. Most people lack these qualitities, so it will take some time to find and discern these qualities, but wisdom..is prized above jewels.

USE WISDOM, &if you lack wisdom, ask God. (I suspect you already have it) :)

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
marijuana is illegal and the bible says to by the law of the land, so that's theo nly place i could see it conflicting with your beliefs.

other than that...

marijuana enhances music appreciation and creativity, it provides introspection and relaxation, and no one has died from it.

up to you.

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ahh man honestly, im sorry for trying to condone getting high, i mean i do it, but i'm trying to quit and even though it's not as addictive as "harder" drugs, itwill mess with your mind, and at first it will "open" it, and even seem to make you smarter, but then you will want it all the time and not be able to experience basic joy in life without being stoned. it's not all it's cracked up to be(hard for me to say cause i LOVE it, and probably in the next second would glorify it). but yeah don't smoke man, at least now, it's illegal could get you into trouble, and your young, don't gain the habit of just smoking to feel happy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it will mess with your mind

It used to do some strange things to me, I would smoke it (I was not saved at the time, although I knew the truth) and I would try and watch Christian tv or read the bible or something and I would hear this loud ringing in my ears, it would not stop until I quit trying to read or hear about God. It was demonic I know and I believe weed is a opening the enemy uses to create a stronghold in your life. As I have posted before, the Lord Jesus saved me so I would stop smoking it. I can't believe the Christians on this forum who worship this drug, its disgusting to me after what I have been through with drugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
my freinds want me to smoke weed as i christian can i

Tell him no. Think of it this way, if you made this a habit, what will it lead? Do you want to constantly be looking over your shoulder for the cops? During drug deals, while consuming, while walking around places. Wondering if people can tell your stoned. Wondering if they might tell someone. Worrying if you get pulled over for a minor traffic violation and they smell it in your car (which is probable cause for search if they smell marijuana odor in your car) will they find that roach or pipe? Oh and if your friend says I'm lying and says they need a warrant to search your car so you're good, cops will laugh in his face because my brother is a cop and has told me this personally that he thinks it's hilarious when jittery, glass-eyed stoners try to invoke the constitution to prevent him from searching their cars. If it's your car and you have marijuana in it and pipes and all this and even if it's your friends, if you're the owner and you're friend decides to play dumb, guess who all that stuff is? Guess who is going to take the fall for it? You my friend.

What if you wanted to join the military? This would certainly prevent you from doing so. Even if you just had some minor charge on your record, some small fine for drugs, boom, automatically jobs will be completely off the table for you. It may even stop you from joining entirely. You will be repeatedly drug tested also, both by recruiter, meps and after. It is like this everywhere else, normal jobs require drug tests. It's just not a good move mate. You may be young but you need to think about the choices you make now because they can haunt you everywhere you go.

I know this may be harsh but I really hate to see young people risk their futures over some fleeting high. It really can come back to haunt you mate. Not even mentioning the possible theological issues surrounding this.

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It used to do some strange things to me, I would smoke it (I was not saved at the time, although I knew the truth) and I would try and watch Christian tv or read the bible or something and I would hear this loud ringing in my ears, it would not stop until I quit trying to read or hear about God. It was demonic I know and I believe weed is a opening the enemy uses to create a stronghold in your life. As I have posted before, the Lord Jesus saved me so I would stop smoking it. I can't believe the Christians on this forum who worship this drug, its disgusting to me after what I have been through with drugs.

yeah, what people don't realize, is that THC is not a "depressant" it is classified as a stimulant and a mild PSYCHEDELIC (mind manifest). there are other cannabinoids in it that have depressant effects (muscle relaxant, anti inflammatory anti anxiety , sleep aid) called cannabidiol and cannabinoil. and these are the main ones responsible for medical uses today. thc can be used as a anti depressant, add med, (sativa strains high in THC) indica strains are for the depressant benefits.

i think it can have medical uses, and fully support hemp all the way. but people don't realize it DOES (maybe not on par with lsd or shrooms) opne your mind up. if you have anxiety problems already it will make it worse, it will make you more paranoid like thoughts you have in the b ack of your mind in a situation if you smoke they will be more heavy on your mind( so whatever is in your mind it will shoot it up more).

any drugs open you up to the spirit world, even alcohol. probably alcohol is worse than what people think... angry and drink? see what happens. you are weakened inhibitions, and can be more easily influenced.

and yeah it does have "positive" effects, seems to make you more introspective and observant, and even more open to emotions of others. more creative and philosophical. i could say all kinds of things i enjoy it for...and im not gonna lie about it, it does have some qualities, but maybe that's the lure of it?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfSoul

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2009
Narnia
✟12,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and yeah it does have "positive" effects, seems to make you more introspective and observant, and even more open to emotions of others. more creative and philosophical. i could say all kinds of things i enjoy it for...and im not gonna lie about it, it does have some qualities, but maybe that's the lure of it?

Sure there are pleasures to be gained from getting high but that in no way makes it "good" (not quoting you here just generalizing). But I know when I used to snort OCs it felt good too! (and I was the life of the party) but I was enslaved by them. I do agree with you that THC does have benefits to medicine, although I will also say that the majority of people who get marijuana licenses do not really need them (like when someone breaks a bone or something) doctors hand them out so easily like they do everything else.

The point though that I really wanted to make is that this drug and alcohol too are just mockers of the true peace that the Lord can give, I wonder if Christians who freely admit that they are stoners if they have ever truly experienced the grace, mercy and love of God, because when I experienced the Lord I didn't want these worldly things anymore. The Holy Spirit became the One I craved not a plant or a bottle. Jesus is more than enough for me, I do not desire these things anymore and I am really surprised that there are Christians who do.

Upvote 0

BabySteps

Feb 4, 2011
✟15,324.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure there are pleasures to be gained from getting high but that in no way makes it "good" (not quoting you here just generalizing). But I know when I used to snort OCs it felt good too! (and I was the life of the party) but I was enslaved by them. I do agree with you that THC does have benefits to medicine, although I will also say that the majority of people who get marijuana licenses do not really need them (like when someone breaks a bone or something) doctors hand them out so easily like they do everything else.

The point though that I really wanted to make is that this drug and alcohol too are just mockers of the true peace that the Lord can give, I wonder if Christians who freely admit that they are stoners if they have ever truly experienced the grace, mercy and love of God, because when I experienced the Lord I didn't want these worldly things anymore. The Holy Spirit became the One I craved not a plant or a bottle. Jesus is more than enough for me, I do not desire these things anymore and I am really surprised that there are Christians who do.

yeah i completely understand where your coming from man. i just have trouble thinking of it as bad, because it doesn't get you "high" like pills or alcohol, it actually stimulates my mind, so i have a hard time looking at it as an addiction than more of a way to see reality in a true way( i used to think and still do at times that marijuana shows me reality as it TRULY is not as the illusion we have when "sober" and controlled by what we have been taught to think and see the world) I'll get high and be like oh yeah this is what's up about life i'm back to the clear vision again. all my senses are super enhanced and i notice stuff i don't notice when i'm not high.

i was looking at people on drugs friends i used to hang with after smoking a blunt, i was like man they are dumb, they are dumb man stuck in this limbo and I am too, we are like zombies walking around here just craving the next high.

i was concentrating on the sun in winter time and felt warmth permeating through my body.

i have been so high i can walk by people and HEAR their thoughts and confirm it by asking and yeah it's true.

it's crazy, it's "psychologically" addicting, which people tend to think that means you just think "oh i want to get high" but PSYCHOLOGICALLY addicting it plays with your PSYCHOOLOGY ( your emotions and thinking) if you quit it can play with your emotions and mind as well.

idk if this is some crackpot theory about it, everyone says it "harmless" but i think im on to something, it does open your mind, you do learn and realize things, but in a sense coming back to it for every problem you have stunts your growth because you rely on it to learn and realize and experience intelligence and joy.

then when I'm not stoned, i'm really dumb, like instead of super aware and introspective and joyful of life, i am depressed and anxious and just have racing thoughts.

i haven't smoked in 5 days now, and i can feel my joy coming back.

Upvote 0