LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Questioning Christian said:
The problem is not in people being set free. Of course, if you encounter a problem during a race, you have to fix it. Problems will come. But, if all before and during the race, your mind is obsessing on anything but running and winning, then you are distracted.

In the course of running, you will find problems. The issue is, "will you let them dominate your thinking?", to the point that you cannot even run a race without a tormenting thought of what might go wrong?

This is true. I don't think anyone here would disagree that a distracted mind is a bad thing. We do need to keep our eyes on Jesus. However, for those who are still in the struggle of getting out of the gate they may need a little help. Being tormented by our enemy can and frequently does go beyond a tormenting thought and becomes quite physical. If you've never been there then count yourself blessed.

Upvote 0

LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal
californiadreamin said:
Christians cannot be possessed by demons, we can be oppressed by demons if God allows as in Job or with Peter when The devil asked could he sift them like wheat or we can become oppressed if we are habitually walking in sin.

I don't know that any of us are talking about possession. Oppression though can go far beyond just a tormented mind.

We are to teach people how to be overcomers. Yet before we can do that they frequently need to be set free first. And frequently they need help from their stronger brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is no accusation, only observation. The statement is true, and still stands:

I wholeheartedly stand by my comment. "The Lord Is My Banner" has a balanced point of view, not belonging to my comment. But the fact is, that some Christians would rather sit around and fret about what the devil might do, than think on what God is actually doing, and has done.
I for one do not sit around and "fret" about what the devil is doing. However, to deny that he is quite active and has done quite a lot to many believers is to either be in denial or to not care about others. The fact remains true that many believers are bound by the enemy. If you do not see this, then there is really nothing I can say to you except open your eyes and look around you. Ignoring something does not make it go away. In the meantime there are many desperate and helpless brothers and sisters out there, and people with your point of view are not helping them. You are not following the command of Jesus to cast out demons in His name and to do the things that He did, a full third of which was casting out demons, setting the captives free.

The cross is greater than that which defies it.
Of course this is true. However, just sitting around mentioning it is not applying that greatness to set captives free!

As I mentioned before, you can run a race thinking about your shoelaces coming untied, thinking about other runners trying to push you down, thinking about how hungry you are, thinking about how ugly your outfit is, or you can obsess about running that race, and about winning that race.

The enemy is only a hurdle. The enemy is not the focus of the race, as many deliverance-minded Christians would believe.
You are not even beginning to get the point. It is not about my shoelaces or my race or yours. It is about those who have fallen down along the way and who need someone to pick them up and heal their broken bones and their torn ligaments. That is our job. It is the others I am concerned about. You seem to think that you are the only one that matters. Just because you are not bound does not mean others are not. I am talking about ministry to others. There are many who need to be set free. As I said, one-third of Jesus' ministry was involved with casting out demons. He said, "As the father has sent me, so send I you." The focus for me and for others like me is not the enemy; the focus is liberty to the captives. In your reading of all of my posts here, you seem to have missed the point I am making completely.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
LeeS said:
I don't know that any of us are talking about possession. Oppression though can go far beyond just a tormented mind.

But oppression can only go as far as either God allows, such as Job, David, paul with the thorn, etc..) or we allow ( when we habitually walk in sin and give a foothold to the devil to come in and oppress us).
James 4:7-8 (Amplified Bible)
7So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you. 8Come close to God and He will come close to you.

LeeS said:
We are to teach people how to be overcomers. Yet before we can do that they frequently need to be set free first. And frequently they need help from their stronger brothers and sisters.
This I agree 100%. We have to know who we are in Christ and build an intimate relationship with God in order to be overcomers. Once someone is set free He has to be fed the word of God and know who He is in Christ and know that he is an overcomer or else he is like:Luke 11:
24When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it roams through waterless places in search [of a place] of rest (release, refreshment, ease); and finding none it says, I will go back to my house from which I came.

25And when it arrives, it finds [the place] swept and put in order and furnished and decorated.

26And it goes and brings other spirits, seven [of them], more evil than itself, and they enter in, settle down, and dwell there; and the last state of that person is worse than the first.

27Now it occurred that as He was saying these things, a certain woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, Blessed (happy and [l]to be envied) is the womb that bore You and the breasts that You sucked! 28But He said, Blessed (happy and [m]to be envied) rather are hear those who the Word of God and obey and practice it!

If you cast out a demon and do not teach and minister to him the Gospel of Christ, that he has salvation and freedom thru Christ, he will be worst off then before you cast out the demon.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
mortsmune said:
An unsaved person they might legally own; a Believer they might illegally "have" or "possess" in that sense. However, I still prefer not to use the term "possess."

I agree.
An unsaved person they might legally own, and a believer they might illegally oppress if we give them the right to. We give them the right to when we knowingly disobey God and walk in sin and we perish because of lack of God's knowledgeHosea 4:6My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge But if as believers we resist the devil he will flee from us,James 4:7So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you and we also have to know we have authority over the evil ones,Luke 10:19Behold! I have given you authority and power to trample upon serpents and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] over all the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you. if we didn't have any authority we wouldn't be able to cast out demons.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
StreetMinister said:
I believe they can be under demonic influence and under witchcraft influence if they are in sin and have opened doors to negative forces that influence their mind and currupt their spirit!

I agree with this statement also.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesusong said:
Is the definition of possession one of owning something? I've heard that possession is 9/10 of the law. If you possess something then you own it, even if it's only temporarily. If a demon possesses someone, then are they in ownership of their soul and spirit? When one comes to Christ, they agree on the purchase price of themselves. Jesus bought us with a price. We render our ownership of ourselves over to Him. I'm reminded of the analogy of master/slave relationships. The slave is owned by the master. Paul says I am a slave to righteousness, thus he is owned by the Lord who bought him at a price. So, a believer who has been bought with a price (Christ's shed blood), has become a slave (or servant) of righteousness. We are owned by the Lord, for he has possession of us. How then can a demon, or Satan, possess a believer if we are owned by God?

I don't mean to ramble. Am I making sense here?

Makes sense to me and I agree 100%.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Father Rick said:
That's very much the way it is with a Christian. When we come to Christ, the doors of bondage are opened-- but most Christians don't automatically know how to walk in total liberty. Rather, they start a journey of learning how to walk in the freedom purchased for us by Christ. And those areas of our life where God's truth has not yet been applied may still be in 'darkness'. Also, those areas that we try to keep hidden and not deal with may be 'dark' areas. The more of His truth we apply to our lives, the more 'light' we walk in.

I also agree with this statement. Thats why it is so important to build a relationship with God.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Trish1947 said:
Jim, Im not disputing that a Christian can be influenced by demons, if they give themselves over to it. Or don't realize their authority in Christ.

But as far as having unclean spirits living in a person..oh, yeah, I've seen them come out of a persons mouth. So there won't be much conviencing me otherwise in this regard.

Luk 11:24When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he saith, I will return unto my house whence I came out.

Luk 11:25And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.

Luk 11:26Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Of coarse this is a parable about what can happen to a person, that has been delivered, and made clean of spirit, and not reborn of the Spirit.

Wheather the word possession was used or not, Jesus makes it pretty plain, where these unclean spirits go.

I agree with this statement also:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 5, 2005
North Carolina
✟17,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are very good points here. so why all the confusion in the other posts?
Basically non belivers can be demon possessed but christians can only be oppressed. Demons are real and they are destroyers. They will devour whoever they can get a hold of, but as christians we have authority over them. Christians have to realize their authority in order to excercise that authority.

Upvote 0

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know what? I'm really getting tired of all this "devil talk". Either stop giving him so much credit, or go serve him, okay???

From the time I was a child, I was rejected by all kinds of people around me, from kindegarten on through high school, college, and to this day. I just don't fit in.

My best friend in the world died in a horrible car accident [of a broken neck] when she was 21 years old, and even to this day, nine years later, I have had dreams about her, and am still getting over the grief. We dated for two-and-a-half years, and she died months after I broke up with her. I have wondered to this day if I will ever find someone with whom I am compatible. Satan torments me with it all the time. Then, the day of the funeral, while I am riding back with my parents, my mom gets mad at me in the car, and lamb-bastes me for crying after the funeral, and asked me why I was doing it.

At age 13, twenty years ago, I was held down in the middle of the night, with my hands tied behind my back, at 2:00 in the morning, while I was asleep, and my so-called "friend" proceded to do what he wanted.

I have been rejected in dating so badly, that one night, after one particular rejection, the devil began playing with my mind for me to commit suicide. The rejection has still gone on until this day, with the exception of a few victories recently.

I, as a white male, attended a black church for ten years where I was mistreated and given secondhand status by people who called me "brother", but stayed because the black pastor and some of the staff encouraged me, along with some of the congregation, who reminded me it was home for me.

I have gone through a lot of emotional turmoil and torment in my life.

I know firsthand about the power of the devil. Sometimes the only friends I have are loneliness and rejection and self-disdain.

But you know what? Do I, as running this race, get up every morning and go, "Wow, let's go have a horrible day today, because Satan has power to stop me! What are my co-workers going to say behind my back today? What critical comment will my mother cut into me with THIS weekend? What female is going to reject me THIS time? How many times will I fail today?"

If I thought like you guys, then I would never get out of the bed, would never go to work, would never trust again, would never try, would never go around the saints, would never hope in God at all for anything at any time!

But I get up every day, ready to kick Satan in the caholies because HE HAS NO POWER AGAINST ME. No matter what he hits me with, I will rise again, and I will hit him harder. I will win souls into the kingdom. I will give love where Satan has hit me with hatred. I will be merciful and compassionate. I will work hard and do an awesome job and be the best employee my boss has ever had [he made a comment to that effect recently].

Satan has nothing against what God is doing in my life. Stop giving him so much credit. Statistically, I should have been committed or killed myself years ago, but God is with me, and I refuse to give the enemy that kind of pleasure.

HE LOSES. I DON'T LOSE. I WIN.

Now, if you deliverance people still want to go on talking defeat, in your psychologically-couched phrases, where you word it just right to sound scriptural, go on talking defeat. If you think you are not able to go into the land, then you are welcome to think that. Personally, I am going to be like Joshua and Caleb.

You see giants.

I see grapes.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You know what? I'm really getting tired of all this "devil talk". Either stop giving him so much credit, or go serve him, okay???

From the time I was a child, I was rejected by all kinds of people around me, from kindegarten on through high school, college, and to this day. I just don't fit in.

My best friend in the world died in a horrible car accident [of a broken neck] when she was 21 years old, and even to this day, nine years later, I have had dreams about her, and am still getting over the grief. We dated for two-and-a-half years, and she died months after I broke up with her. I have wondered to this day if I will ever find someone with whom I am compatible. Satan torments me with it all the time. Then, the day of the funeral, while I am riding back with my parents, my mom gets mad at me in the car, and lamb-bastes me for crying after the funeral, and asked me why I was doing it.

At age 13, twenty years ago, I was held down in the middle of the night, with my hands tied behind my back, at 2:00 in the morning, while I was asleep, and my so-called "friend" proceded to do what he wanted.

I have been rejected in dating so badly, that one night, after one particular rejection, the devil began playing with my mind for me to commit suicide. The rejection has still gone on until this day, with the exception of a few victories recently.

I, as a white male, attended a black church for ten years where I was mistreated and given secondhand status by people who called me "brother", but stayed because the black pastor and some of the staff encouraged me, along with some of the congregation, who reminded me it was home for me.

I know firsthand about the power of the devil. Sometimes the only friends I have are loneliness and rejection and self-disdain.

But you know what? Do I, as running this race, get up every morning and go, "Wow, let's go have a horrible day today, because Satan has power to stop me! What are my co-workers going to say behind my back today? What critical comment will my mother cut into me with THIS weekend? What female is going to reject me THIS time? How many times will I fail today?"

If I thought like you guys, then I would never get out of the bed, would never go to work, would never trust again, would never try, would never go around the saints, would never hope in God at all for anything at any time!

But I get up every day, ready to kick Satan in the caholies because HE HAS NO POWER AGAINST ME. No matter what he hits me with, I will rise again, and I will hit him harder. I will win souls into the kingdom. I will give love where Satan has hit me with hatred. I will be merciful and compassionate. I will work hard and do an awesome job and be the best employee my boss has ever had [he made a comment to that effect recently].

Satan has nothing against what God is doing in my life. Stop giving him so much credit. Statistically, I should have been committed or killed myself years ago, but God is with me, and I refuse to give the enemy that kind of pleasure.

Now, if you deliverance people still want to go on talking defeat, in your psychologically-couched phrases, where you word it just right to sound scriptural, go on talking defeat. If you think you are not able to go into the land, then you are welcome to think that. Personally, I am going to be like Joshua and Caleb.

You see giants.

I see grapes.
I am completely perplexed about why you think our talk is about defeat. That is not what we are saying.

As I said before, you are simply not getting the point. Why do you think you have such a difficult time understanding what we are saying? You are not reading the words; you are reading into the words.

If this subject bothers you so much, then perhaps you should not keep visiting this thread. Maybe you've got it all together in spite of your past experiences, but there are many others who don't. Deliverance is for those people, apparently not for you.

Upvote 0

LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal

You see giants.

I see grapes.

Brother, you seem to keep putting words in our mouths that we are not saying. :(

From all that you've just shared it does not look all that much to me like you are walking in the victory you claim. Really I'm not meaning to offend you. Please don't become angry at me. However, your seemingly intense anger regarding this subject is more revealing than what you say.

It's great that you aspire to be like Joshua and Caleb but until you give up all the bitterness, anger, hate and hurt to Him and let Him heal you your not going any further than where you are now. If you can say in all honesty (to yourself not us) there is none of that then I ask your forgiveness. You don't need to have anyone lay hands on you, you can do that right from where you are sitting right now.

Upvote 0

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You see giants.

I see grapes.

Oh my!!!! Wow!!! I'm with you all the way!!! I too could have either been dead or in a psych ward but I am not!

No weapon that stands against me will prosper in Jesus name AMEN!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halel

May 18, 2005
USA
✟7,923.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

You see giants.

I see grapes.
:wave: I'm usually just a lurker, but I have to jump in here...

Many of the things you shared sound much like myself. I had one friend killed in a car accident (ejected and the car landed on her back) and another killed himself. :( I was molested at about the same age as you. I was rejected, felt like I didn't fit, etc. etc. If you change a few minor details, it sounds like you were talking about me, not you.

You sound a LOT like me: my attitude toward things,etc. in a lot of ways.

I can sense the anger/frustration at some of the things you have gone through.:mad: Believe me, I understand!!! I really appreciate your spunk and your zeal for God.

I also understand the attacks that can come. The mental turmoil, the suicidal thoughts, the rejection and loneliness. All the other junk. And I've learned that the Devil comes in where we are hurt the worst to try to do as much damage as possible.

I know personally, that dealing with the junk has taken two forms for me. I went through some deliverance which was a huge breakthrough. I've been through some counseling, which was really helpful. I also know that I have to fight against the enemy as well. In reading through this thread, it seems like everyone is taking one side of the arguement or the other. Is it deliverance or is it just living the victorious christian life? For me, at least, it's been both. Not one or the other.

I'll be praying for you!:prayer:

Upvote 0

LeeS

aka SpiritPsalmist
Jan 11, 2003
Visit site
✟1,025.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Halel said:
:wave: I'm usually just a lurker, but I have to jump in here...

Many of the things you shared sound much like myself. I had one friend killed in a car accident (ejected and the car landed on her back) and another killed himself. :( I was molested at about the same age as you. I was rejected, felt like I didn't fit, etc. etc. If you change a few minor details, it sounds like you were talking about me, not you.

You sound a LOT like me: my attitude toward things,etc. in a lot of ways.

I can sense the anger/frustration at some of the things you have gone through.:mad: Believe me, I understand!!! I really appreciate your spunk and your zeal for God.

I also understand the attacks that can come. The mental turmoil, the suicidal thoughts, the rejection and loneliness. All the other junk. And I've learned that the Devil comes in where we are hurt the worst to try to do as much damage as possible.

I know personally, that dealing with the junk has taken two forms for me. I went through some deliverance which was a huge breakthrough. I've been through some counseling, which was really helpful. I also know that I have to fight against the enemy as well. In reading through this thread, it seems like everyone is taking one side of the arguement or the other. Is it deliverance or is it just living the victorious christian life? For me, at least, it's been both. Not one or the other.

I'll be praying for you!:prayer:

I'm right there with you hilel. The home I was raised in we went to church faithfully every Sunday. My Mother was a Sunday School teacher and my dad was a Royal Ranger leader. But home life was very different. My mother was very abusive. I can remember several times being awoken out of a sound sleep with her beating me for something I had supposed "just" been caught doing. I got along with my dad ok but was too embarassed to tell him what was going on when he was not there. Another time my mother attacked me with a butcher knife as my little brother and sister stood in the doorway watching and crying for her to stop.

While my dad was not physically abusive his words toward me were quite hurtful. I found myself at time ashamed that I was a girl because my "menstral" needs were such a "financial" burden for him.

I've had one friend commit suicide. I've had another close friend murdered by her estranged husband. The kind of men I tended to attract were abusive.

When I was old enough to leave home (18) I did and then began my growing up time. I watched in horror as I began to take on the same personality issues as my mother. I hated her and now I was becoming like her.

My relationship with God was good though and He began to deal with me on these personality issues. It was not a deliverance as some may think 'cause it was just me and God, but I remember well all that I went through to become clear headed and free from the torment of the enemy. Many a night I spent weeping before God claiming that "I forgive her" yet at the same time seething within.

I can't tell you when I became free I just know that at some point I was. And it did not come from pretending there was not issue but it came from confronting my hatred and my anger and my bitterness. I no longer fear being like my mother because I'm not. God set me free. I was tormented and if I'd continued on that path I probably would be in a mental institution. That runs in my family too.

Sorry QC if I've offended you. I just want you to know that I too know where you're coming from. I've been there and I'm now walking in freedom that I was'nt before.

Upvote 0

mortsmune

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟9,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Godzchild said:
Oh my!!!! Wow!!! I'm with you all the way!!! I too could have either been dead or in a psych ward but I am not!

No weapon that stands against me will prosper in Jesus name AMEN!!!!
Not being dead or in a psyche ward is hardly the measure of a victorious life. Like LeeS said above, the anger and bitterness you express toward some of us on this thread are more revealing than your actual words.

It sounds like the deliverance that you rant against so persiistently may be the very thing you need. Perhaps, instead of attacking people who out of compassion seek the deliverance and liberty of others, you ought to be seeking their help. Instead of attaking deliverance, it sounds like you might benefit from it. Anger and bitterness are not signs of a victorious, overcoming life.

Deliverance certainly has helped a lot of people, myself included.

Upvote 0

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
mortsmune said:
Not being dead or in a psyche ward is hardly the measure of a victorious life. Like LeeS said above, the anger and bitterness you express toward some of us on this thread are more revealing than your actual words.

It sounds like the deliverance that you rant against so persiistently may be the very thing you need. Perhaps, instead of attacking people who out of compassion seek the deliverance and liberty of others, you ought to be seeking their help. Instead of attaking deliverance, it sounds like you might benefit from it. Anger and bitterness are not signs of a victorious, overcoming life.

Deliverance certainly has helped a lot of people, myself included.

Well gee! Thanks for the lovely encouragment you have given me. And your lovely kind words of support. We need a whole heck of a lot more CHRISTIANS around here just like you!!!!

pppppffffttttt

Can you also please show me a post - just one post...where I was bitter and angry - just so I know...thanks!

Upvote 0

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, this discussion is going nowhere. I tried to share a testimony about how I have not succumbed, or been beaten by Satan, and shared how I have made it through the fire and the rain.

Then, after talking about what I have been through, and making myself vulnerable, instead of whooping with victory, you guys want to use my testimony to further argue your point.

I am hereby out of this discussion. You can have it. It's all yours. I am washing my hands of this.

I was just trying to show how no matter what Satan does, it really doesn't matter, because you can make it, and you don't have to walk around with this "I have a demon" complex. So, instead of rejoicing with me, you instead want to make it a clinical case study on people who, in your limited and erroneous opinion, need deliverance.

That's exactly what I have been trying to demonstrate through this discussion. You have proven it right there. A person demonstrates passion and enthusiasm on a subject, and in your minds, they're angry about an issue, and whoops, there you go, they need deliverance.

You are still viewing people as these weak and beggarly beings who are so demonically oppressed. I don't want to talk about this anymore. I have tried to fight for what I believe, and the rest of what you have said has energized me. But when you want to step all over my personal testimony [instead of seeing it for what it is] and you want to make me into a case-in-point statistic, then I have no more time for you.

Your behavior is quite discouraging. This is all I have to say anymore on this subject.

Later

Enjoy your continued discussion on the greatness and power of Satan

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.