Can anyone baptise another person?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Some denominations believe only an ordained minister can perform a sacrament. if its one of those then it wouldn't count.. to them. but there is a variety of opinion.

but technically, the bible doesn't seem to restrict that.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Can anyone baptise another person?

There are two ways of looking at baptism.

1. This is how someone becomes a Christian.
2. This is a declaration by the person that he is a Christian.

I do not believe the first is Biblical, but most Christians belong to a church that does.

If you follow the first view, you don't want to do something that will mess it up.

If you follow the second view, you may want to ask to whom are you making your declaration.

In the 1500s there were two men who after reading the Bible decided that they needed to be baptized as a declaration of their faith. They baptized each other as this was the extent of their church family. They began the Anabaptist movement.

I personally do not see any reason a person cannot baptize himself (immerse himself in water before others as a testimony of his faith).

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My partner wants to be baptised but the church I belong doesnt baptise until July next year so can anyone or myself baptise him?

NO

If anyone can baptise anyone, there would not have been a need for John the Baptist in those days.
There has to be someone ordained to do it. Its like asking if anyone can legally marry you and someone else. Some people have the authority and the seal to do those things.
But of course man would say 'oh whatever, we can do whatever we want'
But when it comes to God's way, you do it His way.

Also I strongly believe baptism of the Holy Spirit (which has nothing to do with water) is the only or most important baptism anyone needs really. Not being baptised in water does not make one 'unchristian'

Christian' is a title. Belonging to Jesus is what counts. Knowing Him, drawing closer to Him and staying in His will is what matters.

Pray that Jesus baptise your partner with the Holy Spirit

Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My partner wants to be baptised but the church I belong doesnt baptise until July next year so can anyone or myself baptise him?

I think it would be OK for your partner to wait until July. If he has expressed the desire to be baptised, that is called the baptism of desire; in the case (God forbid) of his dying before July, that desire would be considered as baptism.

However, if you both feel for some reason an urgency about him being baptized, my faith teaches that anyone can perform a valid baptism, so long as it is done using water and in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes.

In fact, the great commission to Jesus' disciples was:

Matthew 28:19-20

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

What Jesus commanded his disciples to do thus applies to us.

Anyone who makes up rules saying that only priests or ministers can baptize is not worth listening to because:

Matthew 15:9

...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.

Reactions: parsley
Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

In fact, the great commission to Jesus' disciples was:

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

What Jesus commanded his disciples to do thus applies to us.

Anyone who makes up rules saying that only priests or ministers can baptize is not worth listening to because:

Matthew 15:9

...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.

Amen!!

Any Christian can baptise!

In fact, it would be wrong to delay such a noble request lest the person becomes discouraged.

Acts 8:36-38
As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. Why shouldn’t I be baptized?” And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

Look at the speed at which the request is carried out.

And look at the setting, on a desert road (v26), they come across some water. Not a big built up church etc. It can be done in such places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Jesus' cousin was baptizing without being ordained or sent out, even before Jesus did.

Take a look at this -- the Jewish tradition of Mikveh immersion.

Hebrew for a "collection" or "gathering" [of water]), a pool or bath of clear water, immersion in which renders ritually clean a person who has become ritually unclean through contact with the dead (Num. 19) or any other defiling object, or through an unclean flux from the body (Lev. 15)

:amen:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Not really, no.

Even the apostolic churches will accept that anyone can baptise in extremis; if there is danger of death and no priest or appropriate minister either present or within reach. In such a situation even a non Christian can baptise, as long as the right words etc are used.

However, I doubt if any church would regard your situation as being in extremis. Therefore, any baptism that is carried out by anyone else would not be valid. I am afraid your options are either to wait, or else find another church to carry out the baptism sooner.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
even a non Christian can baptise, as long as the right words etc are used.

I really disagree with that. We(Christ's disciples) are called to baptize other believers, not an unbeliever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The Jewish tradition of Mikveh immersion." - Parsley that was interesting, more should be looked at, and how it points to JESUS (for more revelation of HIM)...thank-you!

Part of our problem (in the church) is we expect 'others' to do things because they are in leadership, but often that is only a man-made position when in reality, we are all the church, and we are all priests (already) and all disciples and really all sons and daughters.

Sons (daughters) get to a point when they realize that they are not looking around for others to do it, but they can do it, lead it etc... JESUS gave us the Kingdom already, its ours, and we've been called by such a HIGHER authority than man.

You've all got an incredibly HIGH calling, that I fear, that many of us would be surprised when the LORD asks "I was hungry, I was thirsty etc..."

Come out!
Step Up!
Wake Up!

Its all about HIM in you - and that is all, but that is everything!

There are millions sick and dying around you.
They are looking for a 'priest'. (see 1 Peter 2:9, see the good samaritan Luke 10:25)

What is a priest?
Simple: someone that ministers to GOD and man.
Who is a priest?
Well, if JESUS is our HIGH PRIEST (see Hebrews) then that makes us all priests.
(or ministers, or disciples and children of GOD).

A child learns and does what his/her DADDY does.
Lets do it, and leave the results to GOD!

(and stop looking for the paid guy, or the expert, I thought the 'expert' lived in you?)

-eric

The Exchanged Life

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I really disagree with that. We(Christ's disciples) are called to baptize other believers, not an unbeliever.

It is immaterial whether you agree; that is the way it is.

For example, in the UK all midwives are trained to baptise, in case a very urgent situation arises. They do not have to be Christians in order to effect baptism on a dying baby if the parents want it and there is no priest available in time.

The necessity is for the Baptism to be done in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and using water. There is no necessity for the person baptising to be Christian. If there is a priest sitting having a cup of tea in the next room it would be invalid. If there is no priest anywhere to be found, then it is valid, whoever does it. As with any other Sacrament, the efficacy of the Sacrament of Baptism does not depend on the perfection of the person administering it, but on God; he always perfects our imperfection.

That is how it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is immaterial whether you agree; that is the way it is.

For example, in the UK all midwives are all trained to baptise, in case a very urgent situation arises. They do not have to be Christians in order to effect baptism on a dying baby if the parents want it and there is no priest available in time.

The necessity is for the Baptism to be done in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, and using water. There is no necessity for the person baptising to be Christian. If there is a priest sitting having a cup of tea in the next room it would be invalid. If there is no priest anywhere to be found, then it is valid, whoever does it. As with any other Sacrament, the efficacy of the Sacrament of Baptism does not depend on the perfection of the person administering it, but on God; he always perfects our imperfection.

That is how it is.

Yes, although sometimes the sense of urgency is a subjective judgment. I heard an account of a couple who was traveling with their infant before the infant was baptised. The mother became so distraught at the fear of the child dying in an accident before being baptised, that the couple performed a baptism on the baby. The priest was not happy about it, but accepted the baptism as valid, and presumably so did the bishop.

That is why I advised the OP to wait to be baptized in the Church, but allowed for the possibility of such urgency that a baptism could be performed, so long as it was done using water and in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--on account of the fact that I cannot judge what urgency the couple may be feeling.

However, I should qualify the previous paragraph with the statement that inconvenience or impatience does not rise to the level of urgency over the fear of impending death.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But doesn't it make you all wonder WHY that church is making people who DESIRE baptism to wait? There's something wrong with that picture in my opinion.

I don't know that. We don't know the status of that Church. Do they have to rent their baptismal pool, is it undergoing repairs, did they have libality issues in the past ? their could be multiple reasons why they only do it once a year, without hearing their side, it's a bit hard to judge them as it being wrong.

But as for the OP Question. Yes any believer can go forth and baptize someone into the family. As someone else pointed out
Bible said:

Upvote 0