Can a Christian marry a divorced person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is questioning what we believe is right but could possibly be wrong trolling?

dont worry 'bout me, love.

There are much worse things than to wory 'bout me, love.

The dead sea scrolls I havn't much dwelled into a very much lot.
Tell me more.

Cause i wasnt sure you believed it was right to begin with.
I brought up the dead sea scrolls to show you how accurate the bibles actually are.
In the spring of 1947, the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered. These manuscripts were copies of large portions of the Old Testament, a thousand years older than any other existing copies. Study of the scrolls has revealed that the Bible hasn’t changed in content down through the ages as many skeptics had surmised.

The Dead Sea Scrolls have had the greatest Biblical impact. They have provided Old Testament manuscripts approximately 1,000 years older than our previous oldest manuscript. The Dead Sea Scrolls have demonstrated that the Old Testament was accurately transmitted during this interval. In addition, they provide a wealth of information on the times leading up to, and during, the life of Christ.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please pardon my butting in but I thought I would contribute something that may be helpful:

Mal. 2:16 - God says "I hate divorce." These are strong words from our Lord. Divorce and remarriage violates the sacred marital covenant between a husband and a wife that has been ordained by God.

Matt. 19:6 - Jesus makes it clear that it is God who joins the husband and wife together, according to His will. What God joins together cannot be dissolved because God's will is perfect and eternal.

Matt. 19:9; Mark 10:11-12; Luke 16:18 - Jesus says that whoever divorces and remarries another commits adultery. This is an offense against the natural law.

Rom. 7:2-3 - again, Paul reiterates Jesus' teaching that sacramental marriage followed by a divorce and remarriage is adultery. He who commits adultery destroys himself. (Prov. 6:23). Many have rejected this teaching of Jesus.

1 Cor. 7:10-11 - once again, Paul gives Christ's teaching that married couples cannot divorce and remarry. This violates God's divine plan for the husband and wife.

Matt. 5:31-32 - the Lord permits divorce only for "inappropriate contenteia." This Greek word generally means unlawful sexual intercourse due to either blood relations (also called incest) or nonsacramental unions. The Lord does not permit divorce for "moicheia" (adultery). It is also important to note that in these cases, a marriage never existed in the first place, so the Lord is not actually permitting divorce, but a dissolution of the unlawful union.

Eph. 5:22-32 - Paul says that the sacramental union of husband and wife is the image of Christ and the body of believers. Just as Christ the Bridegroom and His Bride the body of believers are inseparable, so are a husband and wife also inseparable. A civil divorce cannot dissolve a sacramental marriage (between two baptized people).

1 Cor. 7:12-15 - these verses set forth whats called the "Pauline privilege" - two unbaptized people marry, and afterwards one of the people is baptized. If the unbaptized person decides to leave the marriage, the Christian is free to remarry (because the first marriage was not sacramental, and a union between a baptized and an unbaptized person can jeopardize the baptized person's faith).

Ezra 10:1-14 - these verses support whats the called the "Petrine privilege" - a baptized person marries an unbaptized person. To save the baptized person’s faith from being jeopardized, a valid authority may dissolve such a marriage pursuant to its binding and loosing authority.

Rev. 19:9 - the marital union of man and woman reflect Christ's union with the rest of the body of Christ at the heavenly marriage supper. Just as Christ and the body of His childredn have become one flesh through His flesh and blood and the union brings forth spiritual life for God's children, a man and a woman become one flesh and their union brings forth physical life. This union is indissoluble.

Peace.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And here are a couple of quotes from early Churchmen: (the first one trained by the apostle John).

"Flee wicked arts; but all the more discourse regarding them. Speak to my sisters, that they love in our Lord, and that their husbands be sufficient for them in the flesh and spirit. Then, again, charge my brethren in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that they love their wives, as our Lord His Church. If any man is able in power to continue in purity, to the honour of the flesh of our Lord, let him continue so without boasting; if he boasts, he is undone; if he become known apart from the bishop, he has destroyed himself. It is becoming, therefore, to men and women who marry, that they marry with the counsel of the bishop, that the marriage may be in our Lord, and not in lust. Let everything, therefore, be done for the honour of God." Ignatius of Antioch, To Polycarp, 5 (A.D. 110).

"Now that the Scripture counsels marriage, and allows no release from the union, is expressly contained in the law, 'Thou shalt not put away thy wife, except for the cause of fornication;' and it regards as fornication, the marriage of those separated while the other is alive. Not to deck and adorn herself beyond what is becoming, renders a wife free of calumnious suspicion while she devotes herself assiduously to prayers and supplications; avoiding frequent departures from the house, and shutting herself up as far as possible from the view of all not related to her, and deeming housekeeping of more consequence than impertinent trifling. 'He that taketh a woman that has been put away,' it is said, 'committeth adultery; and if one puts away his wife, he makes her an adulteress,' that is, compels her to commit adultery. And not only is he who puts her away guilty of this, but he who takes her, by giving to the woman the opportunity of sinning; for did he not take her, she would return to her husband." Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, 2:24 (A.D. 202).

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
also, why is 'inappropriate contenteia' the only reasonable justification for divorce?

what if your spouse does something absolutely horrible(ie, kills your dog on purpose)? The Bible thinks you should stay with that psycho? Or do you think God would rather have you become involved with healthier relationships?

Or is that relationship 'perfect' bc God made it? (I doubt God determines your actions for you)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, again, what if you somehow marry a psycho and you didn't know it until later?

Dont you think it'd be better to get out of a harmful relationship than stay in one? Don't you think its better for your health, and wholistically, better for your family, and ultimately, better for, i dunno, everyone?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What if your spouse tries to hang you!?

Can't you get divorced?

the answer is YES! infact, you have an OBLIGATION, duty and responsibility not only to yourself, but to your family and to others to forever distance from a psychotic spouse asap before someone gets hurts or even killed.

I honestly cant understand why someone would rather feel guilty that theyre not following the 'word' and stay in a harmful and potentially lethal relationship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, then they are widows/widowers.

What if your spouse tries to kill you?

Are you supposed to call the cops, testify in court against them, yet still be faithfully married while theyre on death row for three years, after which THEN you become a widow?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟389,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Are you supposed to call the cops, testify in court against them, yet still be faithfully married while theyre on death row for three years, after which THEN you become a widow?

I guess so, after all Jesus didn't give us that loophole.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess so, after all Jesus didn't give us that loophole.

heh. But Jesus also tells us not to be harmful to ourselves, and to be good to ourselves, and not to put ourselves needlessly in harm's way?....isnt that the loophole I'm looking for?

Upvote 0

Shiversblood

Civil rights activist
May 12, 2007
United States of America
✟17,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Three years on death row? Try 10-20 years on death row.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.