Can a Christian marry a divorced person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiversblood

Civil rights activist
May 12, 2007
United States of America
✟17,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Heres a story, this story is called, "The Christian Wife."

The Christian wife. One day, many many years ago, there was a Christian girl in high school. She got Straight A in all classes, was very beatiful with very long dark hair and blue eyes. She met the most popular boy in the whole Christian School, Chuck Berry. He was lead Quarterback on the high school football team, lead a weekly prayer group, and helped many people through his faith. Chuck and the Christian girl hit it off instantly, and she was very impressed by him. They started dating. They got married after highschool and had three very beatiful children, 2 girls and a boy. Chuck struggled to make ends meet working at his construction job, but Chuck and the Christian girl looked onto God, and trusted in him to help them through the hard times. Then 1 day, The Christian girl came home from shopping late 1 night, and Chuck was passed out on the couch with a empty bottle of vodka laying next to him, and inappropriate contentographic materials were on the television!
"What is this!" The christian girl cried. Chuck wokeup and stumbled around, dazed confused and intoxicated. "Its uh not what you think!" Chuck slurred. The Christian women began sobbing uncontrollably.
"It was just a 1 slip up, I'll change I promise!" Chuck pleaded. CHuck and the Christian girl went to Church that sunday and spoke with thier pastor, who gave them his number, and he helped the couple work past this dark time, and Chuck vowed to never touch alcohols ever again. But then a week later...

"I gots to go to bathroom." Chuck says to his family during dinner, and when he gets into the bathroom he pulls a bottle of vodka out of his coat and starts gulping it down. He sits in the bathroom for an hour just drinking it. Christian girl is banging on the door asking him if he is sick.
"I am not feeling too good, ill be okay though, i am going to bathroom." Chuck says through the door. Christian girl beleives him and walks away from the dooor. Later, Chuck opens the door and stumbles out, drunk to the core. He stumbles into the front door, knocking over a lamp on accident.
Christian girl sees him and gets up off the couch where she was watching tv.
"Are you drunk again?!" She cries.
"Uhhhh.....no." Chuck says, barely able to stay on is feet, swaying back on forth.
"Yes you are...how could you!" She screams, and begins crying uncontrollably.
"So what! I work hard all day long at work, and all you do is sit around and home, and go to church! Look at this house, its a mess, u didnt clean at all today!" CHuck screams.
Christian girl begins to cry harder, and turns around to leave the room, but chuck grabs her arm and spins her around and punches her as hard as he can in the face. She falls to the ground.
"Daddy nooo!" The little son screams.
"Oh no, what have I done!" Chuck says, and then looks at his fist with blood all over it, Christian girl is bleeding! Her nose is broke. Chuck sits on the couch and begins rocking back and forth, panic stricken. The 12 year old daughter screams when she sees her knocked out bleeding mom laying on the ground, and dials 911. Officers arrive and chuck is arrested for Domestic Violence. While he is in jail, Christian girls Father and Brother Bill come to visit her.

"I knew that stupid Chuck was no good! We warned you bout him, we all warned you!" Her father says, simply furious.

"Hes a wife beater, you gotta divorce him!" Brother Bill pleads with her.
"No, I love him. He just made a mistake." Christian girl tries to explain. "Besides, its a sin to divorce, I promised to love him through the good and the bad....and he is just going through a bad time in his life thats alll...." Christian girl says.
"Hes a monster! You must divorce!" Brother bill screams, but she wont listen.

Chuck is finnaly released from Jail and Christian girl runs and hugs him and brings him back home.
"Im so sorry I did that, it was the alcohol." Chuck explains, and vows to never drink or hit her ever again. "My family means to much to me, I dont want to lose you or the kids."

And for the next 3 months, everything seems to be going good, untill 1 of chucks co-workers introduces him to Crystal Meth. The first time he did it for free with everyone and they worked while high on, he was tottally pumped on it. After that he buys it everyday. It starts to make him violent though, he is constantly screaming at his wife and kids. And then one day....

Christian girl is sitting on the couch watching Tv with her 12 year old daughter, 14 year old daughter, and 5 year old son. Its late and Chuck should be home by now. The door flies open and chuck walks in high, with someting in his pocket. Chuck walks over to them with a look of disgust on his face. He staires at them for a while, eyes bloodshot. The kids are horrorfied. Then chuck says,

"You know, I've been praying alot lately. And Gods been telling me some things, Oh yes. I know. I know all about it." He looks at his 12 year old. "You aint as pure as you say little missy!" He looks at his boy, "And you, I know where you been going!" Then he looks at his wife, "And you! You been acting really chumming and buddy buddy with that pastor lately. You say your talking about me, But I know whats really going on!.....Me and god, we came to a conclusion, and honestly, it seems theres no other way around this. I asked him if there was any other way, but there isnt....all you 3 gotta die!"

Chuck then pulls out a pistol and opens fire, killing all three of them. He then gets in his truck and speeds away. He is later captured 3 days later after hiding out in the forest.

"Whyyyy!!!!! WHYYYYY!!!!" Brother bill screams, his father gives him a hug, they are all sobbing. "at least theres some confort in knowing that he will burn in helll....why she stay with him!!!" Brother bill says.

Chuck is convicted on all charges and sentenced to death. 5 years later while still on death row Chuck finds out the Christians girl's father dies of a heart attack. 5 years later Brother bill gets in a car accident and dies. Chuck lives on. 23 years after being sentenced, Chuck finds out he is scueduled to be exucuted in 1 month. Chuck begins going to church while in prison, and finds christs. He is exucuted and goes to heaven. But many people claim, his salvation came a little 2 late, and was very self serving. He had nothing left to lose or give, and everything to gain. But still, Chuck gives Brother bill a very snide smile as he sees him in heaven, and chuckles to himself.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and that story was satirical, at best.

why would you even want to be in heaven with the murderer of you, and your children? I don't know....

but the point I think is; the divorce might've saved their lives.

If God doesn't want your life to be saved, then, well, you've been praying to the wrong god, imho.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
again, I am pretty sure the Bible also says be good to yourself, and be healthy, and don't get caught up in unhealthy practices, ie, an unhealthy relationship.

I don't think God chooses your spouse; thats like saying God chooses your religion, He chooses your breakfast cereals, He decides what kind of car you can, and will, drive. This would mean we actually DO NOT have free will.

So please people; when someone says you'd be an adulterer if you divorce, relax, don't worry; if being an adulterer is whats best and God Himself knows it, then its okay, trust me.

God doesn't want us doing stupid, dumb things just bc we THINK He told us to.

Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a place in the OT that says that a woman can leave her husband if he doesn't provide for her or the children. IT's a little vague and less detailed then the original verse, but it would be hard to find again.

Also, Paul says, if an unbeliever leaves, let them leave, be at peace about it. That, to me, doesn't sound as binding and absolute as everyone makes marriage out to be. In fact, he says, if you're married, live as if you're not. I think God understands in a lot of situations, and in others, he forgives.

again, legalism is obeying the very letter of "the law" rather doing what is truely right. Jesus healed on the sabbath, and asked them if it was not "right" to do so, and also asked them if they would have saved one of their lambs on the sabbath. He says, "man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath was made for man." In the same respect, I think, "man was not made for marriage, but marriage was made for man."

Reactions: Cris413
Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, I ask you once again......

You are married, I see.... What do you think "married" means?

Marriage in the bible is the "joining of two into one flesh." Sex is the uniting of two into marriage, marriage itself is living as husband and wife, and God's ideal is that they "not seperate." Also that they love each other and treat each other with respect and kindness as "partners" in life. Just as marriage is a gift unto man, children are a gift to this union of a couple of one flesh.

Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heres a story, this story is called, "The Christian Wife."

The Christian wife. One day, many many years ago, there was a Christian girl in high school. She got Straight A in all classes, was very beatiful with very long dark hair and blue eyes. She met the most popular boy in the whole Christian School, Chuck Berry. He was lead Quarterback on the high school football team, lead a weekly prayer group, and helped many people through his faith. Chuck and the Christian girl hit it off instantly, and she was very impressed by him. They started dating. They got married after highschool and had three very beatiful children, 2 girls and a boy. Chuck struggled to make ends meet working at his construction job, but Chuck and the Christian girl looked onto God, and trusted in him to help them through the hard times. Then 1 day, The Christian girl came home from shopping late 1 night, and Chuck was passed out on the couch with a empty bottle of vodka laying next to him, and inappropriate contentographic materials were on the television!
"What is this!" The christian girl cried. Chuck wokeup and stumbled around, dazed confused and intoxicated. "Its uh not what you think!" Chuck slurred. The Christian women began sobbing uncontrollably.
"It was just a 1 slip up, I'll change I promise!" Chuck pleaded. CHuck and the Christian girl went to Church that sunday and spoke with thier pastor, who gave them his number, and he helped the couple work past this dark time, and Chuck vowed to never touch alcohols ever again. But then a week later...

"I gots to go to bathroom." Chuck says to his family during dinner, and when he gets into the bathroom he pulls a bottle of vodka out of his coat and starts gulping it down. He sits in the bathroom for an hour just drinking it. Christian girl is banging on the door asking him if he is sick.
"I am not feeling too good, ill be okay though, i am going to bathroom." Chuck says through the door. Christian girl beleives him and walks away from the dooor. Later, Chuck opens the door and stumbles out, drunk to the core. He stumbles into the front door, knocking over a lamp on accident.
Christian girl sees him and gets up off the couch where she was watching tv.
"Are you drunk again?!" She cries.
"Uhhhh.....no." Chuck says, barely able to stay on is feet, swaying back on forth.
"Yes you are...how could you!" She screams, and begins crying uncontrollably.
"So what! I work hard all day long at work, and all you do is sit around and home, and go to church! Look at this house, its a mess, u didnt clean at all today!" CHuck screams.
Christian girl begins to cry harder, and turns around to leave the room, but chuck grabs her arm and spins her around and punches her as hard as he can in the face. She falls to the ground.
"Daddy nooo!" The little son screams.
"Oh no, what have I done!" Chuck says, and then looks at his fist with blood all over it, Christian girl is bleeding! Her nose is broke. Chuck sits on the couch and begins rocking back and forth, panic stricken. The 12 year old daughter screams when she sees her knocked out bleeding mom laying on the ground, and dials 911. Officers arrive and chuck is arrested for Domestic Violence. While he is in jail, Christian girls Father and Brother Bill come to visit her.

"I knew that stupid Chuck was no good! We warned you bout him, we all warned you!" Her father says, simply furious.

"Hes a wife beater, you gotta divorce him!" Brother Bill pleads with her.
"No, I love him. He just made a mistake." Christian girl tries to explain. "Besides, its a sin to divorce, I promised to love him through the good and the bad....and he is just going through a bad time in his life thats alll...." Christian girl says.
"Hes a monster! You must divorce!" Brother bill screams, but she wont listen.

Chuck is finnaly released from Jail and Christian girl runs and hugs him and brings him back home.
"Im so sorry I did that, it was the alcohol." Chuck explains, and vows to never drink or hit her ever again. "My family means to much to me, I dont want to lose you or the kids."

And for the next 3 months, everything seems to be going good, untill 1 of chucks co-workers introduces him to Crystal Meth. The first time he did it for free with everyone and they worked while high on, he was tottally pumped on it. After that he buys it everyday. It starts to make him violent though, he is constantly screaming at his wife and kids. And then one day....

Christian girl is sitting on the couch watching Tv with her 12 year old daughter, 14 year old daughter, and 5 year old son. Its late and Chuck should be home by now. The door flies open and chuck walks in high, with someting in his pocket. Chuck walks over to them with a look of disgust on his face. He staires at them for a while, eyes bloodshot. The kids are horrorfied. Then chuck says,

"You know, I've been praying alot lately. And Gods been telling me some things, Oh yes. I know. I know all about it." He looks at his 12 year old. "You aint as pure as you say little missy!" He looks at his boy, "And you, I know where you been going!" Then he looks at his wife, "And you! You been acting really chumming and buddy buddy with that pastor lately. You say your talking about me, But I know whats really going on!.....Me and god, we came to a conclusion, and honestly, it seems theres no other way around this. I asked him if there was any other way, but there isnt....all you 3 gotta die!"

Chuck then pulls out a pistol and opens fire, killing all three of them. He then gets in his truck and speeds away. He is later captured 3 days later after hiding out in the forest.

"Whyyyy!!!!! WHYYYYY!!!!" Brother bill screams, his father gives him a hug, they are all sobbing. "at least theres some confort in knowing that he will burn in helll....why she stay with him!!!" Brother bill says.

Chuck is convicted on all charges and sentenced to death. 5 years later while still on death row Chuck finds out the Christians girl's father dies of a heart attack. 5 years later Brother bill gets in a car accident and dies. Chuck lives on. 23 years after being sentenced, Chuck finds out he is scueduled to be exucuted in 1 month. Chuck begins going to church while in prison, and finds christs. He is exucuted and goes to heaven. But many people claim, his salvation came a little 2 late, and was very self serving. He had nothing left to lose or give, and everything to gain. But still, Chuck gives Brother bill a very snide smile as he sees him in heaven, and chuckles to himself.

There are a lot of sad stories people tell to justify why they should be able to do what they want. Quite often it takes the form of "Well if THEY can do it in their situation, then I can do it in mine."

Wow, Chuck sounds like a very bad fellow. He certainly doesn't deserve to go to Heaven, right?.... (I would think all of us have nothing left to lose or give and everything to gain...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Marriage in the bible is the "joining of two into one flesh." Sex is the uniting of two into marriage, marriage itself is living as husband and wife, and God's ideal is that they "not seperate." Also that they love each other and treat each other with respect and kindness as "partners" in life. Just as marriage is a gift unto man, children are a gift to this union of a couple of one flesh.

In light of all of this, would you be willing to tell you husband, "Man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath was made for man." In the same respect, I think, "man was not made for marriage, but marriage was made for man."??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In light of all of this, would you be willing to tell you husband, "Man was not made for the sabbath, but the sabbath was made for man." In the same respect, I think, "man was not made for marriage, but marriage was made for man."??

I already have.

Reactions: S53
Upvote 0

LJSGM

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
Wisconsin
✟15,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I'll give you points for being consistant. ;)

I'd like to check back with you again someday when you're 45 or so. (For the record, I hope you have a very happy life with your husband, and God blesses you both.)

been married seven years now, but that's not the point.

When Jesus said that the sabbath was made for man, he was not nullifying it's importance or significance, but it is not the "end all, be all" to life either.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.