Can a Christian marry a divorced person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟34,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
when did I say theres no room for God?

God doesnt want us to use our rationale, logic and selfward introspection?

I'm pretty sure its a sin not to use one's logic and rationale. =)

I think God's instruction regarding such is better...

Pro 3:1 My son, do not forget my law,
But let your heart keep my commands;
Pro 3:2 For length of days and long life
And peace they will add to you.
Pro 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart,
Pro 3:4 And so find favor and high esteem
In the sight of God and man.
Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Pro 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and depart from evil.

Personally...I consider we make a serious error when we look to ourselves for anything. We should always be looking toward God not toward ourselves...

...and IMHO...the only introspection we should be doing is the condition of our hearts toward Him and toward others.

If we find anything there not pleasing to Him...we give it to Him to do with as His sees fit according to His good will and purpose...

I love the proverb noted above...it also goes on to teach us:

Pro 3:11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,
Nor detest His correction;
Pro 3:12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
when did I say theres no room for God?

God doesnt want us to use our rationale, logic and selfward introspection?

I'm pretty sure its a sin not to use one's logic and rationale. =)

What exactly are your rationale and logical thoughts toward this matter?
Oh yes - and also i would love to see the verse in any bible that states what you just said.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well since this isnt a debate forum its no brainer that I shouldnt defend my beliefs.

but

The Bible says don't be wise in your own eyes; why? So, if you are actually a smart, person, possibly a genius, with lots of wisdom(say, as full of wisdom as, I dunno, Solomon or David), is it okay to be wise in other peoples' eyes? just not your own?

I think people need to look toward themselves to look towards God to help them understand life better.

Y'see, I don't need to quote scripture; the Bible in its etirety says everything logical, perfect, sound, rational and intellegent. But you have to read it in its entire entirety to get that message. No one quote or passage will ever suffice.

anyyyyways, folks, don't be afraid if you marry a divorced person, or feel as if the only way out is divorce.

In the USA, men always used the Bible(and quoted scripture) to keep their women shackled in fidelity, yet, men could always get away with infidelity. A woman wasnt even ALLOWED to file for divorce in the USA; only the man had such a privelege unless the woman could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that her man wa cheating on him(and this is int he days before recording, videos, etc, so you can imagine how difficult it would've been to provide proof of infidelity). A woman couldn't divorce unless she could prove her husband had abandoned her(and it could take years to 'prove' this); heck, it wasn't until recently that a woman had ANY say in the marriage at all. "irreconciliable differences" didnt exist until recently.

So, don't let people scare you with this scarlet letter adulterer stigma; its just another form of social control, and we as people need to realize we can't do these things to people if we are ever to be a sane, HUMANE society. Labeling people as adulterer and then restricting them? hmmm.....

remember, the Bible says to use your head. The Bible says don't forget that you have a brain, and you can use it.

Wait a sec? You say it doesn't? Then, does it say the opposite? Does it say "Don't use your brain?"

Upvote 0

mike74

Jul 16, 2008
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think God's instruction regarding such is better...

Pro 3:1 My son, do not forget my law,
But let your heart keep my commands;
Pro 3:2 For length of days and long life
And peace they will add to you.
Pro 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart,
Pro 3:4 And so find favor and high esteem
In the sight of God and man.
Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
Pro 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
Pro 3:7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and depart from evil.

Personally...I consider we make a serious error when we look to ourselves for anything. We should always be looking toward God not toward ourselves...

...and IMHO...the only introspection we should be doing is the condition of our hearts toward Him and toward others.

If we find anything there not pleasing to Him...we give it to Him to do with as His sees fit according to His good will and purpose...

I love the proverb noted above...it also goes on to teach us:

Pro 3:11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD,
Nor detest His correction;
Pro 3:12 For whom the LORD loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

your a good role model chris this is exactly what its all about and how we should be.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
I think people need to look toward themselves to look towards God to help them understand life better.

Y'see, I don't need to quote scripture; the Bible in its etirety says everything logical, perfect, sound, rational and intellegent. But you have to read it in its entire entirety to get that message. No one quote or passage will ever suffice.

anyyyyways, folks, don't be afraid if you marry a divorced person, or feel as if the only way out is divorce.

So, don't let people scare you with this scarlet letter adulterer stigma; its just another form of social control, and we as people need to realize we can't do these things to people if we are ever to be a sane, HUMANE society. Labeling people as adulterer and then restricting them? hmmm.....

So.....you're telling us to ignore Scripture? Or just to pick what we want? :confused:

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So.....you're telling us to ignore Scripture? Or just to pick what we want? :confused:

We all pick and choose; shellfish isnt bad anymore. Eating pork isn't a deadly sin. Killing your disobedient children isn't exactly something thats praised these days (back in the Bible days, however, they might've done it all the time! thank God I live now! lol )

while there are millions of different ways ot interpret the scripture, and millions of different denominations, its not exactly any two people have an exact and cohesive accordance to what the Word says.

lol the thing is, if Christians are SUPPOSED to kill their disobidient children, I don't think we're even supposed to be Christian! lol

"Thou shalt never make any graven image of anything on heaven or earth." This commandment basically says you cannot draw anything! lol Its not like thats true though. Its not like the Word is against art, or anything.

everyone picks and chooses scripture; i assume youve eaten shrimp before, correct?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Please elaborate.
You have chosen to ignore that certain parts of the Old Testament law are no longer binding, according to the New Testament. The shellfish ban and having a profligate son executed are among these. But you're trying to play this game with the New Testament teaching uttered by Jesus Himself.

But I think it's more likely that you're just trolling.

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well since this isnt a debate forum its no brainer that I shouldnt defend my beliefs.

but

The Bible says don't be wise in your own eyes; why? So, if you are actually a smart, person, possibly a genius, with lots of wisdom(say, as full of wisdom as, I dunno, Solomon or David), is it okay to be wise in other peoples' eyes? just not your own?

In the USA, men always used the Bible(and quoted scripture) to keep their women shackled in fidelity, yet, men could always get away with infidelity. A woman wasnt even ALLOWED to file for divorce in the USA; only the man had such a privelege unless the woman could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that her man wa cheating on him(and this is int he days before recording, videos, etc, so you can imagine how difficult it would've been to provide proof of infidelity). A woman couldn't divorce unless she could prove her husband had abandoned her(and it could take years to 'prove' this); heck, it wasn't until recently that a woman had ANY say in the marriage at all. "irreconciliable differences" didnt exist until recently.

remember, the Bible says to use your head. The Bible says don't forget that you have a brain, and you can use it.

Wait a sec? You say it doesn't? Then, does it say the opposite? Does it say "Don't use your brain?"

Are you familiar with the word 'troll'?
If not im sure you will be soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You have chosen to ignore that certain parts of the Old Testament law are no longer binding, according to the New Testament. The shellfish ban and having a profligate son executed are among these. But you're trying to play this game with the New Testament teaching uttered by Jesus Himself.

So, what part of the Bible says that? Doe sit specify which parts of the OT are no longer applicable? Or just the culinary part? What about the killing disobidient children part? Or the homosexuality part? Can you give me some specific details, otherwise, I think I have a GREAT sense of context. =)

But I think it's more likely that you're just trolling.

You couldnt be more wrong thank you. =)

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Thou shalt never make any graven image of anything on heaven or earth." This commandment basically says you cannot draw anything! lol Its not like thats true though. Its not like the Word is against art, or anything.

A person who believes in God and knows anything at all about the bible should already know this,.... so that automatically means its something you dont.
Graven image means something like 'Buddah'. Something to worship.
You really should find a new place to troll. This is getting old.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Graven = engraved

Pictures of God seemingly are idols. ~shrug~

I've studied religion my whole life; I do know what I'm talking about. =)

And please, everyone needs to stop with the accusing of trolling; its getting old.

Acts15 eh? the whole thing at once, or just one specific part?

Upvote 0

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
I don't quite agree with mpok, but he's right about the trolling thing. Trust me, that's not really trolling. It's getting there though.

As for shrimp, it's still not kosher. However, it's a conscience choice on what you feel is glorifying to God. I don't eat pork. My Sabbath is on Saturday. God told us not to eat non-kosher foods. He also told us to celebrate on the 7th day, Saturday. But will eating shrimp and worshiping on Sunday keep you out of Heaven? No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Graven = engraved

I've studied religion my whole life; I do know what I'm talking about. =)

You mean all 23 years of it? :)

If you've studied the Bible your whole life, I think you know what part....;)

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thats what I'm saying; I think God's more concerned with how we treat each other moreso than how we identify, relate to and interpret scripture.

I think us just being good souls towards humanity is more important than arbitrary rules that hav no significant real-world impact.

I think that we can eat shrimp and pork, not bc Act15 says its okay, but because in olden days these foods were considered unclean simply bc they were diffcult to prepare healthily, and thus, were generally unhealthy to consume.

I think that the Bible says change is sometimes a good thing.

That must be true, for the Bible doesn't say change is a bad thing, right?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Graven = engraved

But not pictures of any old thing.

Verses 28 and 29 if you just want it quick and dirty. Read the chapter for the context. Doesn't change right interpretation of it at all.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But not pictures of any old thing.

If that were true, do you think the mural of creation would be on the ceiling of the Cistine Chapel? If pictures of God are illegal, how come it exists?

Verses 28 and 29 if you just want it quick and dirty. Read the chapter for the context. Doesn't change right interpretation of it at all.

Ah....reading....reading...."For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well."

I don't know how this relates to shellfish and pork though.

This is why I think there aren't any good explanations out there to any of the age-old questions we as Christians have been asking for centuries with only the same scrupulously vague answers.

Forget I even asked....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.