Can a Christian marry a divorced person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
Well, there always the issue of Peter's dream too. The "context" was so that Peter could enter Cornelius's house, but not that he could suddenly eat unclean foods. Think about this too, all the unclean foods are unclean for a reason. Most of them are trash disposals. What does a pig eat? What do shrimp eat? Trash and garbage. Thus, there both health concerns.

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
its strange how people think pigs are unclean creatures; yet, when it is US feeding them the trash, doesnt mean that we are the ones who are unclean? Doesn't that mean we MADE them unclean by feeding them trash? Pigs are very clean creatures, it turns out to be. Their omnivorous diets include many many things, but a pig that feeds exclusively on trash will simply die; also, I don't think that the FDA or would approve trash-fed pigs being sold in stores.

Also, shrimp don't have an exclusive diet of trash; I think you are mislead about this.

I think the more we know, and the more we learn as humanity, things that were once bad become good through growing, enlightenment, and nurturing good habits.

this is why there needs to be more focus on parts of the Bible that praise change, learning, and growing.

Upvote 0

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
And that may be the main problem. You have to focus on ALL of the Bible, not just bits and pieces.

Also, our bodies are the temples of God. We can even glorify God by the way we eat. Strange huh?
Even with all our great chemicals and cleaners, pork is still accepted by many health professionals as maybe containing trichina.
However, what I eat or don't eat doesn't give me salvation. It doesn't make me "more spiritual" than you.

But think about it, if you're saying it doesn't matter what we eat; can I eat kittens?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you want to eat kittens, and kittens are normal in your culture as food, and are abundant and delicious, why shouldnt you be allowed to eat kittens? Is there some universal rule saying pets cant be eaten? Rabbits make both good pets and good food. I don't think thats exactly the analogy you were trying to say, but I get the point.

It can carry trichnia and you can get trichinosis; if you dont cook it right. Preparation and sanitary cooking practices should be the real sin, not the food itself, but the actions of the person who suffers from their own ignorance; disease in the OT days was linked and related to demonic possession, we, however, know theres a difference bt being possessed by Beazulbubb like Linda Blair, and sickness-causing bacteria and pathogens. Im pretty sure if they knew disease was not demonicly influenced back in the day, they would have revamped the Bible in an instant to reflect the truth.

but, if one part of the Bible contradicts reality, is it still good and perfect and wholesome? Or does it need further inspection, further study, and continuous scrutiny? If one part of the Bible contradicts another part of the Bible, I believe its our job as Christians to study it further so it eventually will make sense for the better.

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Graven = engraved

Pictures of God seemingly are idols. ~shrug~

I've studied religion my whole life; I do know what I'm talking about. =)

And please, everyone needs to stop with the accusing of trolling; its getting old.

Then stop acting like a troll. lol
Do you really not know what that Commandment means? If you have in fact studied religion all your life then you would know without a doubt what that means and you dont, so i question that statement.

Reactions: S53
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then stop acting like a troll. lol
Do you really not know what that Commandment means? If you have in fact studied religion all your life then you would know without a doubt what that means and you dont, so i question that statement.

Its been interpretted as a myriad of things, much in the same way how the Sabbath commandment has been interpretted to entail different days(Saturday? Sunday? who knows, its all up to the reader); I've studied the Bible long enough to know(much like almost everything else in life) that it is simply all up to individual interpretation.

I've never found a part of the Bible that speaks this universal truth, however: things change sometimes, infact, change is the only thing that stays the same, and thats not necssarily a bad thing.

Is that in the Bible? I bet it is(in some roundabout, contextual, culminative fashion), because it is true.

Maybe you can help me out with that question.

Also, I have no idea what people mean when they say "troll": I suppose the definition of troll is also up to interpretation since everyone has a different idea of it on these boards.

Upvote 0

S53

Aug 12, 2008
✟2,597.00
Faith
Messianic
You know, there isn't a real statement on what a troll is in the TOS and Rules. All it says is; "Don't troll." That should be corrected.

As for "interpretation", there will always be argument on what's the best way to go. It's stated in the Bible that the Sabbath is on the 7th day, Saturday. It tells us not to eat pork. But it also tells us to sacrifice animals. One can argue the first two by saying we don't do the third. We should all respect different viewpoints on the Bible, even if the other persons is dead wrong. :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,116.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ah....reading....reading...."For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well."

I don't know how this relates to shellfish and pork though.

This is why I think there aren't any good explanations out there to any of the age-old questions we as Christians have been asking for centuries with only the same scrupulously vague answers.

Forget I even asked....
Is pork on the list? No? OK then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christian_Crown_Thorns-1.png

Mod Hat On

Stick to the topic of the OP

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

Corin

Jul 30, 2008
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its been interpretted as a myriad of things, much in the same way how the Sabbath commandment has been interpretted to entail different days(Saturday? Sunday? who knows, its all up to the reader); I've studied the Bible long enough to know(much like almost everything else in life) that it is simply all up to individual interpretation.

I've never found a part of the Bible that speaks this universal truth, however: things change sometimes, infact, change is the only thing that stays the same, and thats not necssarily a bad thing.

Is that in the Bible? I bet it is(in some roundabout, contextual, culminative fashion), because it is true.

Maybe you can help me out with that question.

Also, I have no idea what people mean when they say "troll": I suppose the definition of troll is also up to interpretation since everyone has a different idea of it on these boards.

The words of the bible have not changed. Well...lemme restate that. The words in the bible have been altered in the NEW VERSIONS because some didnt like what was in the originals.
But thats the only way its ever changed. The actual word sticks to this day and theres nothing wrong with that at all. PEOPLE change - God dosent.
A troll is someone who obviously isnt here to discuss God and His ways. A troll on any board is someone who is just trying to make people on certain boards angry and see how far they can push believers buttons. Trust me ive seen a few - you arent the only one. Ive been on message boards for awaile and ive seen all types. There are the ones who are really obvious and then those that are slow to emerge and then get discovered later. There are atheists on here. Posing as 'Christians'. You get that on every message board where religion is being discussed. Ive seen it many times. It gets easy to read the signs. I hope we are wrong about you...but i must say that someone who has studied religion should already be well informed on the part of the graven image.
You are right - sorta. Alot is subject to individual interpretation, but most of the time our individual interpretations are incorrect.
Read the New King James Version. Thats what i read.
Changing topic here for a minute...
Tell me...what do you know about the dead sea scrolls?

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟34,328.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
At risk of further derailing this thread:

Per Wikipedia:

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

The OP is:

Can a Christian marry a divorced person?

I'm still trying to figure out how pork or kittens or cannibalism or the Sabbath or the Dead Sea Scrolls factors into that...:scratch: but hey ...whadda I know...:confused:

Amazing how the course of conversation can get so far off topic...but it happens...and not necessarily always because someone's trolling...sometimes...the convo just drifts....it just happens sometimes...well...a lot of times actually...^_^

...please excuse this brief pause for station identification...back to our regularly scheduled topic

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.