Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Watching this now...will add thoughts after I finish the 45 minute viewing.

Points made:

1. Don't take it into context
2. Reading own bias into the passage
3. Don't go back and look at the OT quotes that Paul is quoting

My questions:

Doesn't God's mercy extend to salvation?
Was Pharaoh saved?

In conclusion:

Calvinists will extend the concept of "destruction" to salvation and damnation. Armenians cut that theology off short of salvation.

Never once was God's Omniscience mentioned or brought into the scope of discussion.

I think Jeremiah 18 speaks to the regeneration of man, and not to the sin that causes us to "be marred in God's hands." That would mean God does not have complete control over the clay, and if God is Omniscient, why mold that He knows that will be marred if He doesn't want it to be marred?

Do I have the power or control to turn from sin and repent without any influence or prompt from God?

Why does God "endure" [with suffering] anything? Because He does find pleasure in sending people to Hell? Maybe for the same reason I "endure" the heat while I cut grass?

Last edited:

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The only way to "refute" Romans 9 is to not believe it.
Or twist it into a mangled mess.

The sovereign electing love of God is the second most prominent doctrine of the Bible. Only the substitutionary sacrifice of Christ is more taught.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have always found it amusing that people give Calvinists flack for, for instance, their treatment of the word "all," yet, when they encounter Romans 9:6-29, they can hardly read a sentence or two without short-circuiting: "But, but, but...nations, groups, justice, fairness, free will!" Unlike an in-depth word study on πᾶς (which is necessary because individual words carry no meaning without a context), a plain reading of Romans 9 seems conclusive to me.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have always found it amusing that people give Calvinists flack for, for instance, their treatment of the word "all," yet, when they encounter Romans 9:6-29, they can hardly read a sentence or two without short-circuiting: "But, but, but...nations, groups, justice, fairness, free will!" Unlike an in-depth word study on πᾶς (which is necessary because individual words carry no meaning without a context), a plain reading of Romans 9 seems conclusive to me.
God is clear when it comes to His sovereign electing love and I always wonder why folks have no problem with election in the Old Testament but when it come to them and their own salvation they must make the free will choice. It seems that God changed when Christ was born. :doh:

The simple truth is that God shows in almost every book of the Bible that it is He who saves by sovereignly directing man's choice.

Arminians must twist and distort Rom. 9 because it is the most clear passage but there are many more that they can't deal with either. They think that if they can refute the plain and clear reading of Rom. 9 they have defeated Calvinism.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟50,836.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
atDC2IL.jpg

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Speaking from personal experience here in the Baptist area, the Semper Reformanda area, and the Soteriology area, I cannot think of more areas of theology which spark more "heated" debate as when the topics of "election", "predestinantion", and "perseverance" are brought up.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Somebody once said:"People will let God be Sovereign everywhere but on His throne." True words. God Bless Till all are one.
Does this mean that they are on the throne(in their own head or heart or life) instead of Him ?

(Whether "Somebody" is right or wrong in this case (wrong most of the time according to Scripture) ..) and wrong all the time when He is not on The Throne, but He is ALWAYS on The Throne , so how could He not be on The Throne... ?? OY!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Does this mean that they are on the throne(in their own head or heart or life) instead of Him ?

He is basically saying that everyone is fine with a sovereign God until they realize that this sovereignty extends to them personally.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
He is basically saying that everyone is fine with a sovereign God until they realize that this sovereignty extends to them personally.
I get it now. Thx.
Like when it is written "people will LOVVVE YOU SOOOO MUCH .....

until

they find out the God you serve REQUIRES A TOTAL LIFE CHANGE.....

then

they will turn viciously on you (killing you if they can, thinking they are doing God a favor) gnashing at you with their teeth (whatever all that means) . ''

Reactions: TaylorSexton
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I was just responding to the Op title. I dont really bother if someone posts a you tube video just to be contentious. Whatever calvinists say dont bother me.
Amein.
Psalm 56:11 in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?
biblehub.com/psalms/56-11.htm
Bible Hub
In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. Holman Christian Standard Bible in God I trust; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
Romans 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If ...
biblehub.com/romans/8-31.htm
Bible Hub
If God is for us, who can ever be against us? English Standard Version .... Psalm 118:6. The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me? Isaiah 8:10
Hebrews 13:6 So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will ...
biblehub.com/hebrews/13-6.htm
Bible Hub
... confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?” ....
Psalm 118:6 The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can mere ...
biblehub.com/psalms/118-6.htm
Bible Hub
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? ..

Hebrews 13:5Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Let your character [your moral essence, your inner nature] be free from the love of money [shun greed—be financially ethical], being content with what you have; for He has said, “I will never [under any circumstances] desert you [nor give you up nor leave you without support, nor will I in any degree leave you helpless], nor will I forsake or let you down or relax My hold on you [assuredly not]!”

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I was just responding to the Op title. I dont really bother if someone posts a you tube video just to be contentious. Whatever calvinists say dont bother me.

I'm still confused. Why, then, did you post here? Nobody here is trying to be contentious.

Upvote 0