Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most Christians are quick to point out that homosexuality is an abomination; but many of them will claim that we are not under the law, which they interpret as being exempt from the law, or something similar. Even the ones who say the we are compelled to keep the Decalogue, can't point to a law in the Decalogue that prohibits homosexuality.

Clearly it is sin. It is decried from before Moses, and after Yahshua's ascension.

Sin is transgression of the law.

Not every sin in detail is covered in the decalogue ... we are to take the written word as a whole and be very attentive to every word written in it.

Psalm 119:11

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

His words will not pass away .... none of them!

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sodom isn't exactly proof since the main reason given to the prophet Ezekiel for torching sodom was related to not helping the poor despite being rich.

49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

I think that you're putting too much emphasis on verse 49.

(CLV) Ezk 16:50
They were haughty and committed abhorrences before Me; so I put them away just as you see.

Ezekiel 16:50 King James Version (KJV)
50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians are quick to point out that homosexuality is an abomination; but many of them will claim that we are not under the law, which they interpret as being exempt from the law, or something similar. Even the ones who say the we are compelled to keep the Decalogue, can't point to a law in the Decalogue that prohibits homosexuality.

Clearly it is sin. It is decried from before Moses, and after Yahshua's ascension.

If homosexuality isn't prohibited by proclamation of the Torah; then by what?
It is prohibited in the Law of Christ.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If the word became flesh, why are you promoting relying on heartless tablets of stone?

Mostly because of your focus on the law.

We were advised that we would be given a heart of flesh - the quote about the word becoming flesh fit into that.

Ezekiel 36:26
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

(CLV) Jer 31:33
For this is the covenant which I shall contract with (With who?) the house of Israel after those days, averring is Yahweh: I will put My (Your what?) law within them, And I shall write it (Where?) on their heart; I will become their Elohim, And they shall become My people.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

as i understand it, we are not under the ceremonial laws- diet, keeping feasts etc but we are to keep the moral laws

Jesus said if we love Him, keep His commandments. He also said if we love Him, love our neighbours as ourselves, are fulfilling all the law.

if God says homosexuality is an abomination to Him, we are not loving Him if we commit homosexual acts

• Agree
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Sin is transgression of God's will, the prohibition is imposed by God.

Scripture says that sin is lawlessness. If you are making the argument that the law is the will of YHWH; I would have to agree.

How do we come to know what is sin?

(CLV) Ro 7:7
What, then, shall we declare? That the law is sin? May it not be coming to that! But sin I knew not except through law. For besides, I had not been aware of coveting except the law said, "You shall not be coveting."

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It is prohibited in the Law of Christ.

Messiah' ministry, his whole life's work, was teaching obedience to YHWH's perfect law, unto death. Messiah's law is YHWH's law; but where did Messiah mention anything about homosexuality?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
as i understand it, we are not under the ceremonial laws- diet, keeping feasts etc but we are to keep the moral laws

Where is this division of YHWH's perfect Torah outlined?

if God says homosexuality is an abomination to Him, we are not loving Him if we commit homosexual acts

You have made a very important point, that many seem to miss.

Yahshua was asked what was the most important point of the law. He referred to the Shema, which states that we are to love YHWH with everything we have.

How can we ignore him, and say that we love him?

I think that John sums it up quite succinctly:

(CLV) 1Jn 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we may be keeping His precepts. And His precepts are not heavy,

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

By nature itself. The anus was never designed for sex, and having anal sex causes harm to that tissue, it causes more bleeding and spreads more disease as a result.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟153,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You seem to have a problem correlating the law with grace and faith. Could it be caused by your literalistic approach?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That having been said, homosexuality is not the unforgivable sin and however repulsive and just sickening some of us may find it due to its unnatural ways, it is a severe sin among others such as fornication and adultery. Sexual sin is described as a more severe sin as it is a sin which violates the temple of the Holy Spirit, our bodies. The mere fact that it is identified as sin establishes the fact that we are commanded not to practice homosexuality. We are commanded, "Sin Not" and commanded not to sin many, many times in G0d's Word.

By sin, I assume that you mean transgression of the law?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
As a gentile believer I go with the Acts 15 requirements

Gentile...of the nations.

Gentile believer....

When we believe; aren't we to come out of the nations?

Does your obedience to scripture stop at Acts 15?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Homosexuality clearly violates the 7th commandment.

7.) You shall not commit adultery.

Doesn't one first have to be married in order to commit adultery?

Surely you aren't promoting premarital homosexuality.

The 7th commandment doesn't clearly prohibit homosexual marriage.

I assume that you wouldn't promote that either. Therefore on what basis would you say that these cases are prohibited? I say the Torah. What say you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Christian objection to Homosexuality is not a legalistic one but one based on nature. That is, it is universally immoral to engage in Homosexuality and any number of illicit sexual behaviors. Even if the law didn't exist, it would still be immoral.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The law did not go away in Jesus. Ceremonial law was fulfilled by him, meaning we can eat pig, wear clothing with multiple kinds of fabric etc. The civil law, however, is still in effect.

Where can I find this division of YHWH's perfect law in scripture?

Why isn't eating pig civil law?

How do we know which abominations are OK, and which ones are not?

(CLV) Lv 11:12
All that has no fins or scales in the waters, it is an abomination to you.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The Law of the Spirit of life has set us free from the Law of sin an death...

Yes it is correct to see that this expresses the heart of Jesus before the Law of Moses was given.

But to insist that this is 'Torah' is potentially confusing to say the least...

Torah has many meanings so I ask you to define Torah as it applies to this discussion to avoid misunderstanding.

To my understanding Torah simply means law. In a narrow sense, I believe this means the 613. In a broad sense, I believe it includes, but goes deeper than, all the books given to Moses.

For a superficial example:

I'm fairly certain that you would agree that drunkards will not inherit the kingdom; but where specifically do we see, in the 613, a prohibition on getting drunk?

The prohibition is in the Torah, (the writings of Moses); but in order to see it, one must have a heart for YHWH's Torah (law).

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By sin, I assume that you mean transgression of the law?
That is part of what sin is, yes; but sin is much more than that. You seem to see sin only as imputed sin. Like already established here, sin started with Adam and Eve long before any formally established "law" disobeying God's instructions and commands, specifically, not to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Just as with Adam and Eve, violation of any imperative command given in God's Breathed Inerrant Word OT or NT is sin.

Types of sin: 1) inherited, 2) imputed, 3) personal. Please refer to this link for a further explanation: What is the definition of sin? | GotQuestions.org

ADDITIONALLY from another source: (below are all excerpts from a link given below, I advise one go there for a much better presentation. One will find additional types of sin described in this article.)
"The definitions of sin in the Bible are not simply arbitrary dos and don’ts. Instead, they show us the way God lives. They show the spiritual principles by which He lives, the same standard of conduct He expects His human creations to live by."

"We have seen one standard God has set for mankind: He expects obedience to His laws. God’s law defines acceptable behavior and actions, and, when we break the standard of God’s law, we step across the bounds He has set. But has God set other boundaries for us, other ways in which He defines sin? What about actions and behavior that aren’t covered by specific laws?

In 1 John 5:17 we find a much broader definition of sin: “All unrighteousness is sin . . .”

Other Bible versions help us more fully understand the meaning: “Every wrong action is sin” (Twentieth Century New Testament). “Every act of wrong-doing is sin” (Phillips Modern English). “Any kind of wrongdoing is sin” (Weymouth New Testament in Modern Speech). “All iniquity is sin” (Moffatt Translation).

The basic thrust of this scripture is that, if any action or behavior is wrong, it is sin."

"These meanings go beyond just physical deeds and actions and cross over into attitudes and motives for our actions and what goes on in our minds. They involve what we think. We see the beginnings of a different standard, one that involves not just what we do but what we are."

"Jesus Christ showed that sin includes not only our physical actions, but also our thoughts and attitudes.

He explained this further in verses 27-28: “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Christ said that this sin is not defined by just a physical act; if we even allow such a thought in our mind we have sinned. We have mentally crossed that boundary, trampling that limit God gave us.

We should realize that sin starts in the mind."

"Humanly speaking, we don’t see anything wrong with allowing wrong thoughts into our minds. Often they are quite pleasurable and entertaining. But eventually those sinful thoughts lead us into sin. The result is the trampling of God’s law. Jesus Christ instructs us to disrupt that process before it gets started, by not even allowing wrong thoughts into our minds."

"In Romans 14 God reveals yet other ways in which we can fail to measure up to His standards." "Paul addressed this problem in verses 19-22, telling Christians to be careful that they don’t offend those newer and weaker in the faith. Then notice what Paul said in verse 23: “But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.”"

"It is not within our natural ability to discern right and wrong (Jeremiah 10:23). We are to learn God’s ways that define right and wrong for us (Hebrews 5:14).

God wants us to live within the boundaries and standards He has set for us, to change our values, attitudes, thoughts and lives so they are in line with His standards, not our own. The process of conversion can be simply defined as replacing our standards, values and thoughts with God’s standards, values and thoughts."

"Did you realize that we could go through life without ever stealing, lying, hating or breaking a single command from God, all the while perfectly controlling our thoughts, and yet still sin every day of our lives? We could avoid all those things, but we could still be sinning according to this last definition of sin. Most of us probably don’t realize we are involved in this last kind of sin and probably don’t even realize that it is a sin.

We have seen that we can sin by the things we do. But we can also sin by the things that we don’t do.

James 4:17 tells us, “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.” Perhaps you have heard of sins of commission, sinning by the actions we take: stealing, lying, committing adultery and so on. But this verse tells us that some transgressions involve sins of omission, sinning by things we omit doing."

A more comprehensive and cohesive presentation of the above quotes since the emboldened word "Additionally" is much better presented here by Scott Ashley: How Does the Bible Define Sin?

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.