SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question is, will it work to Bush's advantage, or will it just make him look less caring and more out of touch?

<snip>
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050823/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
DONNELLY, Idaho - President Bush suggested Tuesday that anti-war protesters such as Cindy Sheehan, who want the troops brought home immediately, do not represent the views of most U.S. military families and are "advocating a policy that would weaken the United States."
<snip>

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a sidenote, Bush chose to go to Idaho this week because that's where his polls are highest right now. So he can basically handpick the audience as usual to try to frame the issue as, "Cindy does not represent the views of most military families." Well why then are most military families protesting this war? Why are most military families calling for a drawdown of our troops? And to boot, why did Bush knowingly send our men and women into harms way, knowing that an Islamic theocracy would arise rather than a secular democracy?

Anyhow, here is the link:

<snip>
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050823/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
On Sheehan, the grieving mother who has camped near his ranch since Aug. 6, the president said he strongly supports her right to protest. "She expressed her opinion. I disagree with it," Bush said...He has scheduled more than two hours to meet with family members of slain soldiers Wednesday at the Mountain Home Air Force Base near Boise, Idaho. Bush said most military families have a different viewpoint than Sheehan. "She doesn't represent the view of a lot of families," he said.

<snip>

Upvote 0

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bigat said:
You consider that an "attack"?
It's typical Bush/Rovian style marginalization of the enemy. Notice, they did the same exact thing to the terrorists: "The majority of Muslims are peace loving; it is only a handful of terrorists who have hijacked the religion of Islam. These terrorists do not speak for Islam."

When you marginalize a group or individual, you cause the larger group to question the validity, credibility, and motives of that group or individual who is causing the "problem." It's a typical Bush/Rove retaliatory tactic.

Reactions: Links234
Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I am part of a military family that wants the United States to withdraw from Iraq. I think that our unilateral military actions overseas weaken the United States considerably. I also do not think that the military can successfully force a peaceful and friendly government in Iraq and Afganistan. In the long run, we have made the world a more dangerous place for ourselves.

I have no interest in seeing more American blood shed trying to nation build in countries that posed no threat to the United States.

Upvote 0

MoodyBlue

Veteran
Jun 14, 2004
Virginia
✟17,934.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Gunny said:
Cindy Sheehan who want troops brought home immediately do not represent the views of most U.S. military families and are "advocating a policy that would weaken the United States."

This statement is correct.

I would be interested in learning the results of a poll of military families, concerning their opinions of the Iraq war. I'm not so sure that there is overwhelming support for the war, even among the military and their families.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MoodyBlue said:
I would be interested in learning the results of a poll of military families, concerning their opinions of the Iraq war. I'm not so sure that there is overwhelming support for the war, even among the military and their families.

It would be very interesting to see the results of those that voluntarily choose to enlist in the Armed Forces.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Gunny said:
It would be very interesting to see the results of those that voluntarily choose to enlist in the Armed Forces.
Question Gunny: If a soldier did want to criticize the government of the President, could they or are they allowed to? I have been wondering about this lately. I know they can say whatever they want once they're discharged, right? How does this all work?

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It's hadly an attack, but then flashy misleading headlines are more fun aren't they? I know several military families and she represents none of them. And let's don't quote anything from the article that might makes sense either:
"We owe them something. We will finish the task that they gave their lives for ... by staying on the offensive against the terrorists, and building strong allies in Afghanistan and Iraq that will help us win and fight — fight and win the war on terror," he told the VFW convention.
Let's just quote what we want. When the anti-war, anti-troop, pro-terrorist groups misrepresent statements, they only strengthen the resolve of those who favor winning the war on terror.

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MoodyBlue said:

I am a military wife, living on a military base, and have been for 7 years, and I can tell you what I know from experience, not opinion. And I am sure that there will be some who will refuse to believe this, but Cindy Sheehan does not represent the vast majority of military families that I come into contact with on a daily basis. And believe me, this is a very much talked about subject.

I am sure this will be something that some won't want to hear, but it is my experience.

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
3girls2dogs said:
I am a military wife, living on a military base, and have been for 7 years, and I can tell you what I know from experience, not opinion. And I am sure that there will be some who will refuse to believe this, but Cindy Sheehan does not represent the vast majority of military families that I come into contact with on a daily basis.
Is it necessary for Cindy Sheehan to represent anyone but herself? Has she ever claimed to be the elected spokeswoman for military families?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MidnightBlue said:
Is it necessary for Cindy Sheehan to represent anyone but herself? Has she ever claimed to be the elected spokeswoman for military families?

No, not at all. But the snippet in the OP brought the issue up and that is what I was responding to.

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
3girls2dogs said:
No, not at all. But the snippet in the OP brought the issue up and that is what I was responding to.
I understand. I don't understand why Mr Bush believes that his critique -- "She doesn't represent the view of a lot of families I have met with" -- is relevant.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
MidnightBlue said:
Obviously not. Had she actually run for such a post, she would not have been elected. She just set up camp and started talking. She deserves whatever support or opposition she gets.

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
MidnightBlue said:

Didn't she do that when she put up crosses with all the dead's names on them?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.