Born again Atheist here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neilius73

That is so straw man . . . a person who could state such doesn't understand the Scripture nor God. And as for Dawkins . . . he has an a priori bone to pick . . . so I don't think his comments hold much objective weight (at least as far as discrediting Christianity goes).

Just once I would like to see someone who has a GOOD grasp on doctrine and Scripture who can characterize Christianity RIGHTLY come with something tangible . . . it always seems to be false representations and strawmen arguements that really have no clue as to what is really true concerning Scripture or orthodox doctrine . . .
Thus the need for clergy to interpret what is meant in the bible, when obviously us unenlightened dont know how to read properly.
The son of Winston Churchill somehow escaped reading any scripture until adulthood, when Evelyn Waugh bet him that he couldnt read the entire bible in a fortnight. Waugh lost the bet. Churchills surmisation of the bible? "God! Isnt God a ****!"

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I meant in the world, in that previous post. As for the WORD, read the Dawkins quote.
Therein lies your problem . . . when you are sick where do you go? Do you go to the mechanic? NO you go to the doctor.

Likewise . . . if you have questions about God . . . you don't go to the world . . . you go to God.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thus the need for clergy to interpret what is meant in the bible, when obviously us unenlightened dont know how to read properly.
The son of Winston Churchill somehow escaped reading any scripture until adulthood, when Evelyn Waugh bet him that he couldnt read the entire bible in a fortnight. Waugh lost the bet. Churchills surmisation of the bible? "God! Isnt God a ****!"
There is no need for clergy . . . there is need for the Spirit of God. One of the hallmarks of the Reformation was that the Bible was and IS meant to be understood by the common people.

Another strawman . . . no wonder why you are rejecting Christianity . . . you really don't seem to know what it is . . . to you it is some tyrannical machine run by clockwork gremlins to control the world; I would reject it to . . . if this were the truth about the person and work of Christ and His redeemed.

Upvote 0
N

neilius73

There is no need for clergy . . . there is need for the Spirit of God. One of the hallmarks of the Reformation was that the Bible was and IS meant to be understood by the common people.

Another strawman . . . no wonder why you are rejecting Christianity . . . you really don't seem to know what it is . . . to you it is some tyrannical machine run by clockwork gremlins to control the world; I would reject it to . . . if this were the truth about the person and work of Christ and His redeemed.
Exactly!

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where is God? Tell me, im all ears.
Everywhere . . . no where . . . in me . . . these are all plausible answers.

The most exact . . . this is the wrong question . . . for it seeks to place Who is eternal (God) into a temporal understanding of time and space. He cannot be except for what He has condescended to do in accordance with the redemption of humanity. One cannot ask "where" for as soon as one says "here" one locales Him . . . and He cannot be localed . . . for He is INDEED there . . . but He is HERE too. If God were to back up He would BUMP into Himself! HAH!

The proper question is NOT where is God . . . but WHO is God . . . where applies a non-applicable category to Him . . . but WHO does not.

Upvote 0

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"The god of the old testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction.
Jealous and proud of it, a petty and unjust control freak, a vindictive bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser, a mysoginistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal,genocidal, philicidal,megalomaniacal, sadomasicistic,capriciously malevolent bully."

Richard Dawkins
Ironically, it is the spark of divine morality that lets us see such characteristics as something undesirable.

I wish I knew how Jesus was able to reconcile the god presented in the Old Testament with his loving Father-God. I can only suggest that the picture of God painted in the Old Testament is one painted by men - inspired, perhaps, but limited in their understanding of an infinite and loving God.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ironically, it is the spark of divine morality that lets us see such characteristics as something undesirable.

I wish I knew how Jesus was able to reconcile the god presented in the Old Testament with his loving Father-God. I can only suggest that the picture of God painted in the Old Testament is one painted by men - inspired, perhaps, but limited in their understanding of an infinite and loving God.
The solution is two-fold.

1. One ALWAYS needs to keep in view ALL the attributes of God (in this instance, justice and holiness)
2. The reason for the OT and God's interactions with His people in the OT. Romans says that the LAW (which is the foundational element of the whole OT) is meant to point us to Christ. EVERYTHING IN THE OT is to illustrate God's holiness and EVERYONE'S inability to keep His standard . . . which points us to the answer, namely Jesus the Christ who DOES keep the standard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mathetes the kerux

Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it was 700 years before the supposed birth of Christ.
So? Are you trying to say that the event of the Virgin birth is borrowed?

Got news for you . . . Is wrote about 722 ish BC . . . so his prediction comes antedate.

And where are you getting your info? I told you you hadn't dilligently studied!

Horus is the son of Osiris who is the HUSBAND of Isis . . . MARRIAGE BEING CONSUMATED.

Osirids gets hacked into pieces and Isis puts him back together again, except for his penis, makes him a new one . . . the two have sex again and out comes Horus . . . NOTHING ABOUT A VIRGIN HERE.

Study bro . . .

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personal insults now. How Christlike of you.
I did not insult you . . . I made a point to illustrate that just because something has some things in common means nothing . . . you have nothing to do with Jason the Axe Murderer . . . nor Charlie Chaplin (your hat) . . . as Horus has nothing to do with Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.