Wales
✟27,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there Rosesandthorns, many years ago, I had the same fear as you. I got distracted from my faith, started to do things which I felt were displeasing to God, and at one point was troubled with a fear that I may have been abandoned by Him. I would like to share with you an extract from a text by Henri Nouwen which was so helpful to me in rediscovering the extent of God's love and grace. Reading it really ministered to me and for the first time I discovered the immense depth of the love of God towards all his children. Just like the prodigal son who went away but came back and was embraced by the Father.

From "The Road to Daybreak" by Henri Nouwen
"I am your God, I have moulded you with My own hands, and I love what I have made. I love you with a love that has no limits, because I love you as I am loved. Do not run away from Me. Come back to Me---not once, not twice, but always again. You are My child. How can you ever doubt that I will embrace you again, hold you against My breast, kiss you and let My hands run through your hair? I am your God, the God of mercy and compassion, the God of pardon and love, the God of tenderness and care. Please do not say that I have given up on you, that I cannot stand you anymore, that there is no way back. It is not true. I so much want you to be with Me. I so much want you to be close to Me. I know all your thoughts. I hear all your words. I see all of your actions. And I love you because you are beautiful, made in My own image, an expression of My most intimate love. Do not judge yourself. Do not condemn yourself. Do not reject yourself. Let My love touch the deepest, most hidden corners of your heart and reveal to you your own beauty, a beauty that you have lost sight of, but which will become visible to you again in the light of My mercy. Come, come, let Me wipe your tears, and let My mouth come close to your ear and say to you, ‘I love you'" (Henri Nouwen)

Thank you. Thank you, really I am crying.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Wow. Beautiful. Thank you :)
You're very welcome :) Spend some time thanking God for loving you, and believing in you when you have lost belief in yourself, and for His promise that He will never leave you or forsake you. Pray to him thanking him for his steadfast love and tender mercy. And think about all His angels rejoicing over you.

Upvote 0

Rosesandthorns

Dec 27, 2018
Wales
✟27,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're very welcome :) Spend some time thanking God for loving you, and believing in you when you have lost belief in yourself, and for His promise that He will never leave you or forsake you. Pray to him thanking him for his steadfast love and tender mercy. And think about all His angels rejoicing over you.

Amen. Lord Jesus multiply his hunger to pray for others for his blessings are found in your grace, love and kindness for helping others. Lord whatever is going on in his life I pray you make it good for the riches of our glory are in Christ Jesus ❤

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I like the things of addiction smoking, sex ect drinking I've found myself trapped in them

Hi again Roseandthorns
You should never be afraid or ashamed to admit if you feel trapped with this. It does not mean that you are a failure, but someone who needs help. It is something which God wants to help you through and He wants things to be better for you. Maybe God is gently encouraging you to reach out and get help from someone? Perhaps a chat with someone you know and trust well - maybe even your GP? Being led by the Spirit doesn't always depend on how we feel. Often it means taking small steps of faith and God has already put people in your path who are willing to listen to you and help you. Perhaps He is encouraging you to take that step because He has compassion on you and longs to give you his blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rosesandthorns

Dec 27, 2018
Wales
✟27,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi again Roseandthorns
You should never be afraid or ashamed to admit if you feel trapped with this. It does not mean that you are a failure, but someone who needs help. It is something which God wants to help you through and He wants things to be better for you. Maybe God is gently encouraging you to reach out and get help from someone? Perhaps a chat with someone you know and trust well - maybe even your GP? Being led by the Spirit doesn't always depend on how we feel. Often it means taking small steps of faith and God has already put people in your path who are willing to listen to you and help you. Perhaps He is encouraging you to take that step because He has compassion on you and longs to give you his blessings.

Unfortunately, I've been within the services for years with complaints but it hasnt helped me. I feel when the Holy Spirit was quenched I opened sooo many doors. When I felt the Holy Spirit (the love, joy and peace of God) leave me I was sure I had commited the Unpardonable sin, I couldn't figure out why I felt so humanly empty of emotion. I had deliverence a few times but never fully so they always came back..it was very disheartening. I am in a spiritual mess right now. I can say it all day and night and peoole can comfort it but sadly I know only prayer and fasting will get me to a state of full deliverence.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,445.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When I felt the Holy Spirit (the love, joy and peace of God) leave me

Roseandthorns, when you refer to the love, joy and peace of God, it is important to remember the following things:-

The scriptures state that God is Love 1 John 4:8. It's not just something He does, but His central characteristic. This love is described in 1 Corinthians as patient, kind, not envying, not boasting, not proud, not rude, not easily angered, keeping no record of wrongs, not delighting in evil but rejoicing in the truth, always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres, love never fails 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
You cannot do anything or go far enough away from God to stop him loving you. Not only is He omnipresent (Psalms 139:8) but his love is unfailing (Psalm 36:5-7). Therefore you should never believe that the "love of God has left you" - it is simply not possible.

The joy of the Lord is the confidence, strength and perseverance we have in the midst of our circumstances. It is clear from you posting on these forums that you take your faith very seriously and you are hoping for a deeper relationship with God. The Bible never promises that our lives as Christians will be easy and a lot of people who face day to day struggles end up walking away and giving up completely on their faith. But you have not. You are much stronger than you believe you are and your perseverance, to me, is a sure sign that God's Spirit is still working within you. If you don't mind me saying so, I would be inclined to get medical advice prior to fasting, especially as you state that you have not been feeling very well.

Referring to God's peace, Philippians 4:7 states that the peace of God passes all understanding. You already have peace with God because Jesus paid the price of all your sins on the cross Romans 4:5.
The more we get to know God and draw close to Him, the more we are aware of this peace. James 4:8
Many Christians, including myself, have had episodes through our Christian journey where we have not 'felt' as close to God as we have at other times and the 'still small voice of calm' the hymnist wrote about is something we are not always consistently aware of. We have had episodes where we have doubted and questioned and not felt that peace. Consider the psalmists who were people of faith who had day to day struggles trying to make sense of their circumstances and their relationship with God. And there was doubting Thomas who wanted evidence that it was really the Lord who had appeared to him (John 20:24-29). Jesus encouraged him to stop doubting and believe.

Roseandthorns, you are deeply loved by God and can do nothing to stop Him loving you. You are more confident in your faith than you perhaps realise. Keep on persevering with the faith and you will experience God's peace and blessings again. He longs to draw you closer to Him - but I also feel that He wants you to be gentle on yourself and to take care of yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inagony

Feb 14, 2019
Texas
✟61,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't so much like those who seek to gain on expense of others though. I don't And didn't understand repentence properly or how to before I felt the Holy Spirit leave.
How did you feel the Holy Spirit leave? Can you tell me about it, because I’ve had a similar experience.

Upvote 0

Khanh

Aug 30, 2019
Milpitas
✟18,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I got into an agrument with my bf and I said I didnt anything to do with the holy spirit, the holy spirit is evil...bc I wanted to hold onto my anger...my bf made a reference to I wasnt walking in the spirit such as being slow to anger etc...(and at the time I really dont like when he used God on me to shut me up bc I wanted to continue to talk on whatever we were arguing) that's what lead me to say those things. The funny thing about that is, I knew to be very careful about what I said about the holy spirit so I was kinda contemplating which word I said bc I didnt want it to be used against me.. and I made the mistake to choose the word "evil"....and after that, I was very worried and gain false security through the internet of what the unpardonable sin is really all about. Thoughts and advice? Am I doomed or is there still hope?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I got into an agrument with my bf and I said I didnt anything to do with the holy spirit, the holy spirit is evil...bc I wanted to hold onto my anger...my bf made a reference to I wasnt walking in the spirit such as being slow to anger etc...(and at the time I really dont like when he used God on me to shut me up bc I wanted to continue to talk on whatever we were arguing) that's what lead me to say those things. The funny thing about that is, I knew to be very careful about what I said about the holy spirit so I was kinda contemplating which word I said bc I didnt want it to be used against me.. and I made the mistake to choose the word "evil"....and after that, I was very worried and gain false security through the internet of what the unpardonable sin is really all about. Thoughts and advice? Am I doomed or is there still hope?
There is only one reference to the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and it was what Jesus said to the Pharisees who were deliberately accusing Jesus of casting out demons through the power of the devil. These Pharisees hated Jesus and did not believe that He was the Son of God, and their statement to Him was premeditated and deliberate arising out of their total hatred and opposition to Him. We have to bear that in mind.

It seemed that your comments were made in the heat of an argument, and were not premeditated, and not designed to deliberately insult the Holy Spirit or our Saviour. We often say things on the spur of the moment when we are angry. It is part of our flesh which has the sentence of death in it anyway. I don't think that you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit in the way that Jesus understood it when He was speaking against the Pharisees. You might have to confess your anger and your impulsive words, and then 1 John 1:9 becomes active in your case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums