Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are often references made about Blacks vs Latinos in the USA as if blackness is exclusive to the AAs in the USA. Why is this? After all, there are millions of black Latinos whose ancestry is both mixed as well as unmixed. So why the reference to Blacks vs Latinos when there are black Latinos? It is more appropriate to say AAs vs Latinos. That way the reference is accurate and doesn't convey a certain bigotry based on either ignorance, national chauvinism, or malice.

• Agree
Reactions: samir

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are often references made about Blacks vs Latinos in the USA as if blackness is exclusive to the AAs in the USA. Why is this? After all, there are millions of black Latinos whose ancestry is both mixed as well as unmixed. So why the reference to Blacks vs Latinos when there are black Latinos? It is more appropriate to say AAs vs Latinos. That way the reference is accurate and doesn't convey a certain bigotry based on either ignorance, national chauvinism, or malice.

A lot of forum correspondents would then urge you down a rabbit hole of "what is really an African-American?"

That issue, like yours, is nearly always irrelevant in the context of any given conversation. The people involved in the particular conversation always know who they're talking about.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A lot of forum correspondents would then urge you down a rabbit hole of "what is really an African-American?"

That issue, like yours, is nearly always irrelevant in the context of any given conversation. The people involved in the particular conversation always know who they're talking about.

Mutual understanding during to conversations is irrelevant to the issue as is also who is really an AA. It is a matter of referring to blacks vs Latinos as if "black" it is an exclusive term applicable only to USA blacks. The question is why? It comes across as an effort to deprive individual Latinos of the right identify with any racial identity that they are fully entitled to identify with. A malicious effort to portray them as one indistinguishable blob.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mutual understanding during to conversations is irrelevant to the issue as is also who is really an AA. It is a matter of referring to blacks vs Latinos as if "black" it is an exclusive term applicable only to USA blacks. The question is why? It comes across as an effort to deprive individual Latinos of the right identify with any racial identity that they are fully entitled to identify with. A malicious effort to portray them as one indistinguishable blob.

Latinos themselves refer to "blacks and Latinos" in certain conversations; when they do, they know who they're talking about. 'Way back before "African-American" was even coined, when the polite term for American blacks was "Negro" (a Spanish word), Latinos could speak of "Negroes" and know they were not talking about dark-skinned Latinos.

Your issue is an invented one and generally an issue for Latinos.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Latinos themselves refer to "blacks and Latinos" in certain conversations; when they do, they know who they're talking about. 'Way back before "African-American" was even coined, when the polite term for American blacks was "Negro" (a Spanish word), Latinos could speak of "Negroes" and know they were not talking about dark-skinned Latinos.

Your issue is an invented one and generally an issue for Latinos.

I imagine that many brainwashed Latinos raised in the USA cultural brainwashing environment behave in that accepting, docile way. However, not all of us fall into the brainwashed category that you seem to prefer. That you tag it as invented is really of no logical consequence. I could very well tag all AA social issues in the same way.

BTW

Umm, you are wrong about the word Negro.
In Spanish that word refers to both Latino blacks and any other person of the black race regardless of nationality.
Or are you now striving to tutor me on the nuances of my native tongue? I had an AA trying to tell me how to pronounce my own surname and when I objected he wanted to throw hands.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I imagine that many brainwashed Latinos raised in the USA cultural brainwashing environment behave in that accepting, docile way. However, not all of us fall into the brainwashed category that you seem to prefer.

Then you have a Quixotic mission to awaken your own brainwashed Latino brothers. Tilt at that windmill!

Umm, you are wrong about the word Negro.

I said that "negro" meant "black" in Spanish. That is all I said about the word "negro" in Spanish. Was I wrong in that? Do I need to pull out my old textbooks and recheck it? Maybe I'll just IM my son-in-law.

In Spanish that word refers to both Latino blacks and any other person of the black race regardless of nationality.
Or are you now striving to tutor me on the nuances of my native tongue? I had an AA trying to tell me how to pronounce my own surname and when I objected he wanted to throw hands.

Strawman argument. I said nothing about how Latinos use the word--and I'm aware that different Spanish-speaking nationalities use different terms to refer to black people of different nationalities as necessary. It is not true that all Spanish speaking people consistently use "negro" to refer to "both Latino blacks and any other person of the black race regardless of nationality."

Yeah, I'm tutoring you on the nuances of your native tongue. Or rather, I'm repeating what other native Spanish speakers have told me...which bears as much weight as what you're telling me.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

They probably don't know. I don't think it's bigotry or malice, just plain ignorance. Many people don't even know that Puerto Rico is one of the 57 US states.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then you have a Quixotic mission to awaken your own brainwashed Latino brothers. Tilt at that windmill!

I said that "negro" meant "black" in Spanish. That is all I said about the word "negro" in Spanish. Was I wrong in that? Do I need to pull out my old textbooks and recheck it? Maybe I'll just IM my son-in-law.

Strawman argument. I said nothing about how Latinos use the word--and I'm aware that different Spanish-speaking nationalities use different terms to refer to black people of different nationalities as necessary. It is not true that all Spanish speaking people consistently use "negro" to refer to "both Latino blacks and any other person of the black race regardless of nationality."

Yeah, I'm tutoring you on the nuances of your native tongue. Or rather, I'm repeating what other native Spanish speakers have told me...which bears as much weight as what you're telling me.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I never said that it is the only term used for blacks by Latinos. The Puerto Ricans of all races sometimes use the term Moyo or Moyeto. Spelled Mollo Molleto to refer to blacks-especially AAs. There are also Mexican words other than Negro with which I am not familiar but remember reading. I only said that the term Negro or Negra is universally recognized in Spanish as referring to a black person. The rest was added by you.

About tilting at imaginary windmills, that doesn't apply when there are no windmills and the enemy is real. Also, your tagging it as a mission means it annoys you. Why? Something must be personally at stake for you when you feel that you must vehemently discredit and oppose. Otherwise, why the fervid opposition and the seeking to maintain the status quo?

BTW
Many New Yorkinos and other such Americanized Latinos who are functionally Spanish illiterate aren't qualified to comment on Spanish language usage since they can't write it, read it, and can barely speak it if at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said that it is the only term used for blacks by Latinos. The Puerto Ricans of all races sometimes use the term Moyo or Moyeto. Spelled Mollo Molleto to refer to blacks-especially AAs. There are also Mexican words other than Negro with which I am not familiar but remember reading. I only said that the term Negro or Negra is universally recognized in Spanish as referring to a black person. The rest was added by you.

About tilting at imaginary windmills, that doesn't apply when there are no windmills and the enemy is real. Also, your tagging it as a mission means it annoys you. Why? Something must be personally at stake for you when you feel that you must vehemently discredit and oppose. Otherwise, why the fervid opposition and the seeking to maintain the status quo?

It's personal because you want to dictate what black Americans --that would be me--should be called rather than what dark-skinned Latinos should be called.

As I said and as you've now been forced to acknowledge, Latinos have their own varied expressions in Spanish in various Spanish-speaking countries. So your rant is purely about how we are referred to in English by Americans.

BTW
Many New Yorkinos and other such Americanized Latinos who are functionally Spanish illiterate aren't qualified to comment on Spanish language usage since they can't write it, read it, and can barely speak it if at all.

You ought to stop presuming things about people you don't know. The people I'm speaking to are native-born Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's personal because you want to dictate what black Americans --that would be me--should be called rather than what dark-skinned Latinos should be called.

As I said and as you've now been forced to acknowledge, Latinos have their own varied expressions in Spanish in various Spanish-speaking countries. So your rant is purely about how we are referred to in English by Americans.

You ought to stop presuming things about people you don't know. The people I'm speaking to are native-born Mexicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans.

I don't really care what AAs call themselves. If they want to call themselves black, I respect that. If they want to identify with West Africa, East Africa, or South Africa, even though they might not be able to name a single individual ancestor from that geographical area in their family line by name, I respect that choice. If they want to ignore part or all of their European or Amerindian genetics, that is perfectly OK by me. I am in no way striving to interfere with those choices, never will strive to and never have.

However, what I do demand is mutual respect. If indeed you have the right to ID with whatever heritage you deem is fitting, then don't try to deny the Latinos from doing the same on an individual basis. That is where you err.

As to your friends being native born and misinforming you anyway-that is your problem not mine.

BTW
You are introducing dark skinned Latinos into the subject when I haven't mentioned it once. Typical. But since you have, let me elucidate you on a very significant thing. Darkness of skin is found among the Oriental race-the Southern Europeans and among Native Americans. So what these individuals are called or how they are classified doesn't depend on being slightly tan or of darker skin than Northern Europeans as you are erroneously proposing. Darker skin does not necessarily indicate Sub Saharan black genetics as you erroneously conclude.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They probably don't know. I don't think it's bigotry or malice, just plain ignorance. Many people don't even know that Puerto Rico is one of the 57 US states.
Puerto Rico is NOT one of the states of the United States. How did you arrive at the number 57?

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Puerto Rico is NOT one of the states of the United States.

Puerto Rico is a US territory so Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

How did you arrive at the number 57?

I got it from President Obama who said he visited 57 states.

Last edited:
Upvote 0