• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Bipolar Mistreatment

Waddler

Live a story worth telling well.
Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever shared with a Christian that you have bipolar?

Have any of them ever treated you bad for you having bipolar?

Much of the mistreatment I receive because of my bipolar disorder comes from Christians, sadly, though to be fair, I'd say about 60% of my social circle consists of Christians.

Most of the mistreatment I receive is also unintentional. That is, the people who mistreat me are actually well-intended, and are offering what they see as legitimate input to my situation. There are a few who tell me to refuse bipolar disorder, to claim that I don't have it, as if that will somehow make it go away.

The reality of bipolar disorder, however, is that it becomes a potentially lethal problem if it is ignored. Depression kills perhaps more directly than mania, but both can cause legal, physical, and emotional damage that can be difficult or impossible to repair, given human means.

Most of what I get from the Church is that I should trust God, that God would not allow me to fall into dangerous circumstances, that God can heal me if I have enough faith. All of these things are--to a point--true, but they do not take into consideration the will of God, my own choices (and consequences), and the reality of the world.

I have gotten to the point that I will mention my bipolar disorder to Christians, but in a realistically positive light. Right now, my disorder is well-managed by medication. Any comments that I may one day be healed, be rid of medications, or other such notions tend to go in one ear and out the other, as far as I am concerned. I remain polite, but I often pay little attention to what I've heard before.

One thing that's important is to distinguish between what I cannot control, and what I can control. I am only responsible for myself, so if I face someone who adamantly insists on trying to force their view down my throat, I will become equally adamant that I will carry on as the Lord guides me, as I am the one dealing with the problem. I have had to tell a few that their belief does not measure up to reality, and so their input is not valid, but I truly try to avoid such confrontation.

Upvote 0

CraftyTurtle

Feb 20, 2013
✟7,784.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I am lucky enough to have Christian friends who understand that everybody has their cross to bear, and none of us are perfect.

The only negativity/maliciousness I have experienced was from pro-science anti-religion obstinate chauvinists.

Some people can be very inflexible in their attitudes, and poor at communications. I know it not my job to fix their flaws. (Yet they seem to think it is their job to "fix" me) These people I let go. I do not need them. I seek the camaraderie and support of the nice, open-minded people. The nice people don't usually like the bullies either.

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I shared with some of the members from my church that I was bipolar and had to leave the church because of mistreatment . It is sad because they should of been the ones to be more understanding so I thought , boy was I wrong . Going to a new church now that is understanding .

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever shared with a Christian that you have bipolar?

Have any of them ever treated you bad for you having bipolar?

Yes it's a long story but what could got wrong did go wrong. I was rejected and treated like a leper by most of the "Christians" I went to church with. Mental illness was mocked from the pulpit and I was the topic of sermons. I don't think I've ever found the words to describe what that did to me on the inside.

Later in life when I would share with a "Christian" that I was bipolar. They never asked me questions. I think they looked at me and decided, "she doesn't look sick" so she's really isn't. They would be around me until I had an episode then they would leave. Every time I've had an episode, I lose people.

Out of all the illnesses in this world, mental illness is the only one I've ever seen "Christians" immediately start talking about demon possession. They don't do that with any other illness. There also seems to be little to no compassion for those of us with mental illness unless we look and act the stereotype.

Sometimes it's downright exhausting dealing with some "Christians" so I don't.

Upvote 0

CraftyTurtle

Feb 20, 2013
✟7,784.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
A question for the people who have bad experiences with church members - Do you find within one church congregation there is one person who kind of rules the roost? ie their attitudes and prejudices are reflected by others, because they are afraid of this person or something.

You can go to another church of the same denomination, and it has a completely different mood/attitude.

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes on person did rule the roost in that church another reason I left . But yes I did find another church and so far so well . I work in the church nusery and no complaints of me being around the children and the church does know I am bipolar . But it is not the same donomination .

Upvote 0

CraftyTurtle

Feb 20, 2013
✟7,784.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yes on person did rule the roost in that church another reason I left . But yes I did find another church and so far so well . I work in the church nusery and no complaints of me being around the children and the church does know I am bipolar . But it is not the same donomination .

Yeah, it's amazing how it's not the church that's the issue, it's not Christianity, it's not God - it's down to one domineering person who uses the name of God to further their own agenda. ...I suppose this is how religion gets such a bad name: the fundamentalists.

Well I'm glad you are in a better church now, and are happy.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A question for the people who have bad experiences with church members - Do you find within one church congregation there is one person who kind of rules the roost? ie their attitudes and prejudices are reflected by others, because they are afraid of this person or something.

You can go to another church of the same denomination, and it has a completely different mood/attitude.

Yeah. That person is usually called the "pastor."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For me it was the pastor and what you described is exactly what happened in my case. It took me years to wrap my brain around that fact.

I went to other churches but I didn't really choose to reveal. In my case people gossiped about my condition and it followed me. People who have never had a conversation with me knew I had been in mental hospitals. So it was different but yet the same.

Upvote 0

CraftyTurtle

Feb 20, 2013
✟7,784.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Yeah. That person is usually called the "pastor."

When I read that, my first thought was a jaw-drop, but then I remembered a certain minister who gave my mother a lot of grief 30-odd years ago.
THIS is a real tragedy. - those who are supposed to lead you to the glory of God, actually show you the other guy instead.

Upvote 0

Waddler

Jul 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
✟27,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My late mother used to work at a church, so I have been privy to church politics. To be fair, there are plenty of good pastors, but there are also those who manipulate and control their congregations. I have had the pleasure of seeing men lead their congregations in humility and righteousness, and I have seen men who sidle up to others and smile, only to destroy them and cast them away.

It is a real tragedy when a pastor manipulates his congregation, and it is worse still when he truly believes--at his core--that he is right with God in doing so.

Upvote 0

Senator Cheese

Master of Cheese
Feb 4, 2014
✟16,414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Much of the mistreatment I receive because of my bipolar disorder comes from Christians, sadly, though to be fair, I'd say about 60% of my social circle consists of Christians.

Most of the mistreatment I receive is also unintentional. That is, the people who mistreat me are actually well-intended, and are offering what they see as legitimate input to my situation. There are a few who tell me to refuse bipolar disorder, to claim that I don't have it, as if that will somehow make it go away.

The reality of bipolar disorder, however, is that it becomes a potentially lethal problem if it is ignored. Depression kills perhaps more directly than mania, but both can cause legal, physical, and emotional damage that can be difficult or impossible to repair, given human means.

Most of what I get from the Church is that I should trust God, that God would not allow me to fall into dangerous circumstances, that God can heal me if I have enough faith. All of these things are--to a point--true, but they do not take into consideration the will of God, my own choices (and consequences), and the reality of the world.

I have gotten to the point that I will mention my bipolar disorder to Christians, but in a realistically positive light. Right now, my disorder is well-managed by medication. Any comments that I may one day be healed, be rid of medications, or other such notions tend to go in one ear and out the other, as far as I am concerned. I remain polite, but I often pay little attention to what I've heard before.

One thing that's important is to distinguish between what I cannot control, and what I can control. I am only responsible for myself, so if I face someone who adamantly insists on trying to force their view down my throat, I will become equally adamant that I will carry on as the Lord guides me, as I am the one dealing with the problem. I have had to tell a few that their belief does not measure up to reality, and so their input is not valid, but I truly try to avoid such confrontation.

You have put that post very beautifully. Unfortunately, many Christians seem to mistake disease for personal failure - I have encountered many that consider neurological/psychiatric disorders to be something demonic rather than a physical ailment. This type of ignorance might result from the fact that it's difficult to draw a line between personal responsibility and actual disease - after all, we like to comfort ourselves in the primitively wishful thinking that our thoughts and emotions are something we can completely control. Anyone who has seen or had a psychiatric disorder knows the reality which is that our brain is an organ like any other - and prone to disease just like the liver or heart.

Now, you mentioned that bipolar disease can become a lethal disease and you are absolutely right in that. The suicide rate for bipolar disease is increased even more than in unipolar depression and especially high during phases of dysphoric mania (that is, phases of mania in which a sudden feeling of depression arises) and, of course, in rapid and ultrarapid cyclers.

This is something that many Christians are generally unaware of: psychiatric conditions can even be a straight-up killer on an organic level! Schizophrenia, for example, not only kills by means of gruesome suicides during psychotic intervals, but also by malignant catatonia! So, to usher aside these syndromes as something that's "all in your head" is tantamount to completely discrediting a community of patients that is in desperate need of proper medical attention and a compassionate community.

Personally, I sincerely hope that Christian communities put away their shackles of ignorance in this matter. I don't think anyone gets shunned for breaking their arm, but the moment that someone mentions they have problems with their mental health, they are shunned or get well-intended but completely misguided advice from hobby psychologists.

Meh, this post has gotten longer than I intended - all I wanted to say is that I share your outrage on the matter. I hope you get well and manage to cope with your problem - modern psychopharmaceuticals have luckily provided doctors with means to counteract the symptoms. It's hard to imagine that 60 years ago, many of these drugs didn't even exist yet.

Blessings,
- Cheese

Reactions: Waddler
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess I really came “out” several years ago (15?). For years I was discreet about who I shared my illness with because people are hurtful especially some who say they're “Christians”. I shared because people didn't understand my absences. Many times I have been accused of being a hermit or antisocial when I just needed down time. I got tired of feeling like I needed to hide that part of my life like I had a secret or something was wrong with me. Hiding made me feel some kind of way, like I wasn't being fully authentic, honest, or something like that. Once I came out I found a new kind of freedom. The fear of being “found out”, rejected, or mocked for having bipolar no longer had any power in my life. It's okay, I have thicker skin now. I just take it to mean God's working on His Word along with the fruit of the Spirit in my life and that's a person I need to pray for. But I do understand your dilemma...

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is something that many Christians are generally unaware of: psychiatric conditions can even be a straight-up killer on an organic level! Schizophrenia, for example, not only kills by means of gruesome suicides during psychotic intervals, but also by malignant catatonia! So, to usher aside these syndromes as something that's "all in your head" is tantamount to completely discrediting a community of patients that is in desperate need of proper medical attention and a compassionate community.

interesting. I haven't heard that before.

Upvote 0

puppii

*Blessed*
Nov 22, 2010
✟10,278.00
Faith
Non-Denom

I have had the same problem. I even tried quitting my meds thinking that maybe they were right...they weren't

I rarely tell people I'm bipolar especially Christians!!

Upvote 0