Bill Nye: Kids are "brainwashed" at Noah's Ark museum Any thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
there is more evidence that Nye is a scientist then there is of Noah's Ark.
I'm sure Christians would disagree with you there. Being they hold the bible in high regard and therein is the story of the Ark.

Your comparison is incorrect.
Doubt that. Being religious freedom is a fact in America.
You left out all the ark details, and children aren't being told it is just a boat full of animals.
I didn't need to give Ark details in order to have an opinion about the Ark in question.
Have you visited the Ark museum so as to know what the children are being taught?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Personally, I think the idea is a waste of Christian resources and money. Children and Christians should be taught these sort of lessons by their church body, not some guy who charges $40 to learn this. Biblical truth should be free for all. Only an American would try and get rich off the truth of the bible. The bible warns of people trying to make money from this sort of thing and calls them false prophets.

I do think your concerns here are valid. I've thought the same thing.

I mean, I get that it's neat and everything, but our faith is about far more than a tourist attraction.

And yes, he spent a ton of money on it that could have been spent to help people in so many ways.

The one redeeming thing I can think of, and I hope it's true, is that it may possibly be a witness opportunity. Maybe it will cause someone to start thinking about God or help lead to further discussion about God and faith.

I know I don't want to limit God and how He may work through this, as He can work through all things.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟565,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure Christians would disagree with you there.

Those Christians would be wrong. I don't think Nye is a scientist (I have a problem with the conflation of engineers and scientists) and I still there's more evidence that he is a scientist than there is for Noah's ark. Christian geologists have been hunting for evidence of Noah's flood for centuries and have come up empty. In fact, the first few generations found enough evidence against it to turn them off of the whole idea.

Being they hold the bible in high regard and therein is the story of the Ark.

Even if you accept the literal 6000yo reading as truth, Ham adds a bunch of stuff onto the story of creationism that isn't even in the Bible.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
We are born with that ability. Every human being does that is some way or form.

I have a problem with the "some way or form" part of your response.

Chimps are 96% human, and yet we see that 4% makes a HUGE difference.

Similar thing occurs when forming beliefs, theories, etc. It doesn't take much deviation from decent logic and rationality to come up with some seriously warped thinking. Truth is, our "natural" inclinations based on our observations are prone to lead us astray. That was the case for thousands of years. It took philosophy, math, and science thousands of years to socially evolve us to where we are today. And even still, you can see tons of people led astray by faulty thought processes (i.e. your conspiracy theory types).

Believing that dinosaurs and man co-existed is bad on so many levels. Essentially, that sort of thinking turns your brain into a logic defying machine. Essentially, you train your brain to incorporate untruths which will warp your ability to reason, rationalize, and deduce truths logically.

Or put another way. Science seeks nothing more than to understand the physical phenomena we observe around us everyday. When one branch of science discovers a truth, that piece is often use in another branch of science and another truth is discovered and that new truth applies to other branches of science and so on and so forth. The interconnections between the various "truths" of science form our understanding of the world today..

Thus, it is no small thing when you throw a monkey wrench into all that with a gross inaccurracy like say, that dinosaurs lived at the time of Noahs Ark or that Noah's Ark had dinosaurs... The ramifications of actually believing that dinosaurs were on this Earth a few thousand years ago would be too numerous to mention. Essentially, it would indicate our understanding of geology, nuclear physics, chemistry, and biology were wrong.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that if you believe 2 + 2 = 4 and sometimes 2 + 2 = 5 then you will be unable to ever learn Algebra or Calculus. In effect, you turn your brain into a computer that does not process logic very well which will make it difficult to properly observe and hypothesize and analysis the real world around you which in turn would make it impossible for you to progress in science.

So I can understand Bill Nye being a little upset at the exhibit. If children go there to have fun and experience it on a faith base only that is one thing, but if children go there and actually believe it is/was 100% literal and real and that there were dinosaurs on it, then that is a whole other ball of wax that is a huge problem...

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very few people rock the bowtie like Bill Nye. Blue lab coat, safety goggles, and that marvelous bow tie—he really looked like a scientist, didn’t he? Except he is not, nor ever claimed to be, a scientist. He popularized science, making it accessible to school children (you?), explaining concepts beautifully and with humor, without ever saying he was more than a mechanical engineer. That little semantic issue—scientist, mechanical engineer—is important to Bill, just as knowing the difference between a mechanical engineer and a mechanical engineering technologist is important.

ECPI Blog

A Psychiatrist is a MD but would not want them performing open heart surgery or even delivering a baby.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'Science Guy' is not any kind of official title.

What exactly is a real Science Guy?
I gather Bill Nye is within the age group of some here and potential an "idol" of sorts.

Sometimes the actor image bubble is popped and disappointment ensues. Like all the little girls watching Miley Cyrus turn from sweet Hannah Montana to whatever she is now.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I Thought they missed the boat...
oop.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟560,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I gather Bill Nye is within the age group of some here and potential an "idol" of sorts.

Sometimes the actor image bubble is popped and disappointment ensues. Like all the little girls watching Miley Cyrus turn from sweet Hannah Montana to whatever she is now.
No answer on what a real 'Science Guy' is? You only know of the one "fake" one?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No answer on what a real 'Science Guy' is? You only know of the one "fake" one?
He is a good actor who presents science to kids.

Anyone of us can do what he does.

I took a few nuclear physics courses in college. Does not make me a physicist nor even a nuclear reactor safety monitor.

If we want to consider Bill Nye a scientist we should also consider Homer Simpson as well.

Upvote 0

Luke17:37

Jan 2, 2016
United States
✟12,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do think your concerns here are valid. I've thought the same thing.

I mean, I get that it's neat and everything, but our faith is about far more than a tourist attraction.

And yes, he spent a ton of money on it that could have been spent to help people in so many ways.

The one redeeming thing I can think of, and I hope it's true, is that it may possibly be a witness opportunity. Maybe it will cause someone to start thinking about God or help lead to further discussion about God and faith.

I know I don't want to limit God and how He may work through this, as He can work through all things.

I think you should go and find out for yourself. It "might" be a witnessing opportunity? That was the purpose for which it was made! The money to build it was raised by donors (e.g., ordinary, Bible-believing Christians). As you can see on here, many people will see it but lots of Americans don't currently believe the biblical account of the flood or the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟560,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He is a good actor who presents science to kids.

Anyone of us can do what he does.

I took a few nuclear physics courses in college. Does not make me a physicist nor even a nuclear reactor safety monitor.

If we want to consider Bill Nye a scientist we should also consider Homer Simpson as well.
Hmm... you started with 'science guy' and now, ended with scientist. I don't think anyone has said he is actually a research chemist for a laboratory.

He's a guy that likes and promotes science when and where he can. Not knowing any official qualifications for "Science Guy", I'd say he fits the made-up title for the tv show perfectly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.