Biden taps new White House counsel to thwart GOP probes as legal pressure mounts

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,107,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
President Biden on Tuesday said he has chosen Ed Siskel, who shielded President Obama from House Republican probes, to serve as his next White House counsel amid a slew of judicial and congressional investigations.

Mr. Siskel’s appointment comes as Mr. Biden faces a special counsel investigation into his alleged mishandling of classified government documents, a special counsel probing his son Hunter Biden and House Republicans press forward with investigations into the president and his family’s business dealings.

Some Republican lawmakers even have talked about impeaching Mr. Biden, complicating what is already a critical stage in the president’s reelection campaign.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
President Biden on Tuesday said he has chosen Ed Siskel, who shielded President Obama from House Republican probes, to serve as his next White House counsel amid a slew of judicial and congressional investigations.

Mr. Siskel’s appointment comes as Mr. Biden faces a special counsel investigation into his alleged mishandling of classified government documents, a special counsel probing his son Hunter Biden and House Republicans press forward with investigations into the president and his family’s business dealings.

Some Republican lawmakers even have talked about impeaching Mr. Biden, complicating what is already a critical stage in the president’s reelection campaign.

Routine, normal White House news is suddenly scandal-bait?
Yawn!

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean “even”? Some Republicans talked about it before Biden was inaugurated and one filed impeachment charges in his very first day in office. It is a pretty constant theme in the House lately.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean “even”? Some Republicans talked about it before Biden was inaugurated and one filed impeachment charges in his very first day in office. It is a pretty constant theme in the House lately.
Right this came right after the “let’s wrangle for four days to totally, normally, elect a Speaker”

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟349,231.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I was like "No way is that true", but yes there were articles of impeachment filed on 1/21/21. Though considering who filed them, I'm actually not surprised.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess they learned to go there from the Left: In an article published April 17, 2016, titled, “Could Trump Be Impeached Shortly After He Takes Office?“, Politico‘s Darren Samuelson wrote that a Trump presidency could be so disruptive that he “has critics on the right and the left discussing the most extreme of countermeasures at an unusually early point in the race.”

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess they learned to go there from the Left: In an article published April 17, 2016, titled, “Could Trump Be Impeached Shortly After He Takes Office?“, Politico‘s Darren Samuelson wrote that a Trump presidency could be so disruptive that he “has critics on the right and the left discussing the most extreme of countermeasures at an unusually early point in the race.”
The difference being that the “Left” actually waited a couple of years until they got actual evidence of grave misconduct while the Right blithely filed on the very first day.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟709,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the link:

President Biden on Tuesday said he has chosen Ed Siskel, who shielded President Obama from House Republican probes, to serve as his next White House counsel amid a slew of judicial and congressional investigations.​
Mr. Siskel’s appointment comes as Mr. Biden faces a special counsel investigation into his alleged mishandling of classified government documents, a special counsel probing his son Hunter Biden and House Republicans press forward with investigations into the president and his family’s business dealings.​
Two things:

Is the American taxpayer now footing the bill for Hunter also?

Why is the Special Councel (can you name him without looking?) so silent? Not a peep in weeks.....

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The difference being that the “Left” actually waited a couple of years until they got actual evidence of grave misconduct while the Right blithely filed on the very first day.
There still is no evidence of the "insurrection" constantly bantered about by the talking heads. The charges were mostly "He asked for a phone number" " Conspiracy. He had documents (as did every other president). Charge him.

Talk to me when equal treatment occurs for similar conduct.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There still is no evidence of the "insurrection" constantly bantered about by the talking heads.
There was enough evidence to get an indictment. Did you not read it?
The charges were mostly "He asked for a phone number" " Conspiracy. He had documents (as did every other president). Charge him.

Talk to me when equal treatment occurs for similar conduct.
Either you don't know the accusations or you are pretending because those aren't even close. Talk to me when there is similar conduct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There was enough evidence to get an indictment. Did you not read it?

Either you don't know the accusations or you are pretending because those aren't even close. Talk to me when there is similar conduct.
Yes. NO ONE has been charged with "insurrection" even now. No one will be charged with "insurrection". The government was never in danger. Get out of the bubble and read some rational sources.

Here is a rather simple local news source from 2021:

"For the past year, words like sedition, treason, and insurrection have been used to describe what happened on Jan. 6, 2021.

Yet, none of the hundreds of people charged in connection with that day have been charged with those specific crimes.

Merriam-Webster defines insurrection as, “an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.”

The dictionary also provides an ‘essential meaning’ of, “a usually violent attempt to take control of a government.”

Blackman said while the public can debate whether Jan. 6 meets the definition of an insurrection, the law is much more strict." (explanation follows)

EXPLAINER: Jan. 6 has been called an insurrection, so why has no one been charged with that crime?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. NO ONE has been charged with "insurrection" even now. No one will be charged with "insurrection". The government was never in danger. Get out of the bubble and read some rational sources.

Here is a rather simple local news source from 2021:

"For the past year, words like sedition, treason, and insurrection have been used to describe what happened on Jan. 6, 2021.

Yet, none of the hundreds of people charged in connection with that day have been charged with those specific crimes.

Merriam-Webster defines insurrection as, “an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government.”

The dictionary also provides an ‘essential meaning’ of, “a usually violent attempt to take control of a government.”

Blackman said while the public can debate whether Jan. 6 meets the definition of an insurrection, the law is much more strict." (explanation follows)

EXPLAINER: Jan. 6 has been called an insurrection, so why has no one been charged with that crime?
Since that was published, many many people have been convicted of seditious conspiracy, so maybe update your source?

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since that was published, many many people have been convicted of seditious conspiracy, so maybe update your source?
A few have been charged with Seditious Conspiracy, a handful, mostly oath keepers and proud boys. Maybe 6, as I recall.

Seditious conspiracy is NOT insurrection. Maybe read the article I posted and see the difference.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟488,949.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Seditious conspiracy is NOT insurrection.
I love how the far right messaging has been forced into attempting to split hairs like this to keep the faith in Mr. Trump alive. It's quite telling.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A few have been charged with Seditious Conspiracy, a handful, mostly oath keepers and proud boys. Maybe 6, as I recall.

Seditious conspiracy is NOT insurrection. Maybe read the article I posted and see the difference.
If the defense is “we didn’t do an insurrection, we just tried to made it so we could keep the President we wanted to win in office that he wasn’t entitled to hold after January 20, 2021”, this isn’t much better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So what was the point of the editorial from 2021?

"For the past year, words like sedition, treason, and insurrection have been used to describe what happened on Jan. 6, 2021".
It's close enough that whining over the semantics of the charges is too unbearably tedious. Sedition is mentioned - are you going to argue that sedition and seditious conspiracy are so totally different as to be not even in the same ballpark?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what was the point of the editorial from 2021?

"For the past year, words like sedition, treason, and insurrection have been used to describe what happened on Jan. 6, 2021".

It's close enough that whining over the semantics of the charges is too unbearably tedious. Sedition is mentioned - are you going to argue that sedition and seditious conspiracy are so totally different as to be not even in the same ballpark?
No, they are different charges. No one has been charged with insurrection.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟459,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m sure this is a great comfort for the people about to do over a decade in prison.
Unless overturned on appeal. Some of those sentences are pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, they are different charges. No one has been charged with insurrection.
So? They have been charged with sedition. What is important about their being charged with sedition instead of insurrection?

What was the point of posting that old op-ed? It did mention that the sentence for insurrection shall not be for more than ten years, but for sedition, not more than twenty - so it would seem that sedition is the more serious charge.

Upvote 0