Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2010
✟64,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, all that in Christ will be made alive, but no all are in Christ, only those who believe in Him.

If universalism was true, then why is Judas in hell? Why is the rich man from Luke 16 in hell? Why does Jesus tell you to repent when it does not matter?

Why is there a broad way that leads to destruction and many will find it? Why does the Bible teach that whomever who does not believe onto Son of God will perish? How can a sinner enter into Heaven when His sins are not forgiven? How can those who do not believe in God go to Heaven? God will deal according to their faith...

Bible is the living word of God, it must be read as a whole and studied and not just pick up and twist verses to suit our agenda i.e. universalism.

Why wouldn't repentance matter, unless there is a Hell?

Who told yo that Judas is in Hell?

The Rich man and Lazarus is a parable.

• Prayers
Reactions: wendykvw
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, all that in Christ will be made alive, but no all are in Christ, only those who believe in Him.

But that's not what the verse says.

This is the verse:

For as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.
I Corinthians 15:22

It simply doesn't say "all that in Christ will be made alive" (by which I assume you mean "all who are in Christ will be made alive". Those are your words and they obviously change the meaning of the text.

Bible is the living word of God, it must be read as a whole and studied and not just pick up and twist verses to suit our agenda

Yes, so why have you just done exactly that with this verse?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If universalism was true, then why is Judas in hell? Why is the rich man from Luke 16 in hell? Why does Jesus tell you to repent when it does not matter?

Universalism doesn't teach there's no hell.

Bible is the living word of God, it must be read as a whole and studied and not just pick up and twist verses to suit our agenda i.e. universalism.

I agree that the Bible should be read as a whole work. However the accusation of twisting verses is used against many If not most doctrines.

If you believe in once saved always saved, there's a whole bunch of Christians who will say you're twisting scripture. If you believe salvation can be lost, there's a whole bunch of Christians who will say you're twisting scripture. Etc, etc.

Reactions: wendykvw
Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟93,011.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who told yo that Judas is in Hell?

The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” (Matthew 26:24).
Jesus says here about Judas that it would be better for him if he was not born. If Judas is in Heaven then this sentence cannot be true. Judas is in hell thus Jesus says it would be better if he was not born.

The Rich man and Lazarus is a parable.

It is not a parable. When Jesus is about to say a parable, He always starts with 'I am going to tell you a parable'. Furthermore, Jesus never mentions anyone's name in a parable, but now He mentions the name Lazarus. Why? Because Lazarus belongs to Jesus

Why wouldn't repentance matter, unless there is a Hell?
Because there is hell and people are sinners Jesus tells them to repent. Because many die without repentance and they go to hell.

Why is there a broad way that leads to destruction and many will enter it?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Post whatever Bible verses you believe clearly support universal salvation / redemption - salvation / redemption after death.

Verses you believe clearly counter universalism are also welcome.
AND please place them in context

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟93,011.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you believe in once saved always saved, there's a whole bunch of Christians who will say you're twisting scripture. If you believe salvation can be lost, there's a whole bunch of Christians who will say you're twisting scripture. Etc, etc.

I get your argument. Everyone thinks it is the other who is twisting the scripture. By their fruits you will know them...

By the way, salvation cannot be lost. Either Jesus fully paid for your sins or He has not. Furthermore, Jesus say He would not lose one of His sheep, if salvation could be lost, then Jesus can lose His sheep. I will trust what Jesus says

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟93,011.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, so why have you just done exactly that with this verse?

Because I look at this verse and compare it to other verses, such as:

Galatians 3:29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

Romans 9:7-8Being descendants of Abraham doesn’t make them truly Abraham’s children. For the Scriptures say, “Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted,” though Abraham had other children, too. This means that Abraham’s physical descendants are not necessarily children of God. Only the children of the promise are considered to be Abraham’s children.

Those who are in Christ are Abraham's seed. This is a spiritual matter. Through faith people are justified. You quoted Romans 11:26 'all Israel will be saved' but that's not the physical Israel but a spiritual one.

John 3 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

How does universalism apply here? It says does who do not believe are condemned already

John 8 24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

John 14 6Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (i.e. ig you try to get in any other way, you will not enter the Kingdom of God).

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get your argument. Everyone thinks it is the other who is twisting the scripture. By their fruits you will know them...

By the way, salvation cannot be lost. Either Jesus fully paid for your sins or He has not. Furthermore, Jesus say He would not lose one of His sheep, if salvation could be lost, then Jesus can lose His sheep. I will trust what Jesus says

There's a lot of notable teachers, scholars and theologians who say that's heresy. They say it teaches that one can live like the devil and still be saved.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟93,011.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's a lot of notable teachers, scholars and theologians who say that's heresy. They say it teaches that one can live like the devil and still be saved

We are all sinners, we all belong to hell, we all depend on God's grace. There is none that deserved Heaven more than the other, none.

If you truly believe in your heart that Jesus died for your sins and you are going to hell...then you are grateful and want to do everything that pleases God and you hate sin.

It is as if a woman who is getting married went out and slept with other guy she meat...what would you say about her? She does not love her groom. While a bride that loves her groom, what does she do? She is faithful, she grows in love, she prepares for the wedding, she goes out to tell everyone, she is happy and cannot wait to be married...so is everyone who is forgiven...they are faithful, they grow in love, they prepare for Jesus, they do what Jesus loves and hates what He hates.

By the way people behave you can tell whether people truly believe or not, especially when things get difficult e.g. persecution for Jesus' name. Millions of Christians died for Jesus' name, many were tortured, lost their families but they remained faithful and loving...because they truly believed in Jesus, such things cannot be faked.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2010
✟64,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.” (Matthew 26:24).
Jesus says here about Judas that it would be better for him if he was not born. If Judas is in Heaven then this sentence cannot be true. Judas is in hell thus Jesus says it would be better if he was not born.

It is not a parable. When Jesus is about to say a parable, He always starts with 'I am going to tell you a parable'. Furthermore, Jesus never mentions anyone's name in a parable, but now He mentions the name Lazarus. Why? Because Lazarus belongs to Jesus

Because there is hell and people are sinners Jesus tells them to repent. Because many die without repentance and they go to hell.

Why is there a broad way that leads to destruction and many will enter it?

A) It being better for Judas to have never been born, does equal the existence of Hell.

B) It is a parable, because Jesus himself said he only spoke in parables.

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

So is Jesus wrong here?

Mat 13:34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
Mat 13:35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

So, how could things be kept secret, from the foundation of the world, if they were literal? People are stupid, but they're not that stupid!

C) You are taking verses that you do not understand, that are in parable form, and are applying you own bias to them, via a literal translation. Matthew 7:13 - 14 does not mean what you think or want it to mean.

Also, you repent because you are sorry for you sins, not because you are threaten with conscious eternal comment. Such a thing would bring about insincere repentance, which God would never accept, so...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟614,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are all sinners, we all belong to hell, we all depend on God's grace. There is none that deserved Heaven more than the other, none.

If you truly believe in your heart that Jesus died for your sins and you are going to hell...then you are grateful and want to do everything that pleases God and you hate sin.

It is as if a woman who is getting married went out and slept with other guy she meat...what would you say about her? She does not love her groom. While a bride that loves her groom, what does she do? She is faithful, she grows in love, she prepares for the wedding, she goes out to tell everyone, she is happy and cannot wait to be married...so is everyone who is forgiven...they are faithful, they grow in love, they prepare for Jesus, they do what Jesus loves and hates what He hates.

By the way people behave you can tell whether people truly believe or not, especially when things get difficult e.g. persecution for Jesus' name. Millions of Christians died for Jesus' name, many were tortured, lost their families but they remained faithful and loving...because they truly believed in Jesus, such things cannot be faked.

Not meaning to detract too much from the battle of verses, the foremost proponents of once saved always saved, say that you stay saved no matter what. Basically what you're doing is taking about those who were never saved in the first place. However my point in bringing that up is, it's easy to say a doctrine you don't agree with is a result of twisting scripture to fit an agenda and therefore heresy.

Personally I'm not sure which view is correct. Both provide good arguments from scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because I look at this verse and compare it to other verses

But if you've had to change the meaning of a verse in order to fit in with other verses then you haven't managed to harmonise them have you? You've actually had the change one of the verses!

• Useful
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That saw cuts both ways.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not meaning to detract too much from the battle of verses...

It is a pointless battle! While the universalist verses are overwhelming convincing to me, if they aren't to someone else then no amount of argument will make it so. The meaning of "For as all die in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ." which was argued about above is so sharp and clear that if someone can't see that for themselves, no amount of explanation or analysis will help them to.

As usual, context and hermeneutics have been mentioned a lot. But he most important context is the biblical narrative as a whole. We have seen enough verses already that refer to Jesus as the saviour of the world so it's a question of spiritual discernment whether or not we think that some, or many, or most of us can be left out of salvation without that claim being completely empty.

And what's also important of course is the picture we get of God from Jesus. Surely there is judgment, no-one is denying that, but there is also the father who dearly wants his prodigal son back and who doesn't hold his past wrongs against him once he does return.

And there's the shepherd who would risk everything to save his one last sheep. This is not the image of a God who at the last gives up on any of His children.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is an important comparative here.
- as in Adam all
- so in Christ all
In the same way that all died in Adam, so all will be made alive in Christ.

Saint Steven said:
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Support for UR:
"the many" = all

Romans 5:15-16
But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Support for UR:
"the many" = all

But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification.
So, if some could save themselves, being of the few, then Christ died in vain?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, if some could save themselves, being of the few, then Christ died in vain?
No mention of "the few" here.

How many (THE many) died by the trespass of the one man? (all)
Also notice the phrase "how much more".
Meaning MORE than the trespass of the one man, not LESS. (the few?)
Grace here is referred to as an OVERFLOW. (generous)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No mention of "the few" here.

How many (THE many) died by the trespass of the one man? (all)
Also notice the phrase "how much more".
Meaning MORE than the trespass of the one man, not LESS. (the few?)
Grace here is referred to as an OVERFLOW. (generous)

I was extending the play on words since the original rendition was "all" not "the many"

for where there only "many" then there is a "few" by contrast.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was extending the play on words since the original rendition was "all" not "the many"
Perhaps you are thinking of a neighboring passage? See below.
How many were made sinners? (all) The many = all

Romans 5:18-19
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people,
so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.
19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.