Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there I just wondered for student's at Bible college what translation is used?
I particularly am interested in those at college training to be pastors.
Thank you.

We get this question a lot. It very much depends on the college.

In liberal/mainline colleges, often the RSV or NRSV.

In conservative colleges, the ESV seems to be preferred, with the NASB, NKJV, CSB, and NIV sometimes used as well.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, so the KJV is pretty much no longer in use, would that be correct?

In some small US Baptist colleges, perhaps. And some students will take a KJV to class no matter what the teacher says. But the KJV just isn't a great translation.

And, of course, colleges will use the original Greek (and often Hebrew) as well.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I found different lecturers had different preferences. I can remember many of the ones Radagast mentioned being recommended, as well as an OT lecturer who had a fondness for the Jerusalem Bible. Certainly not the KJV.

And, of course, also if you can learn the Greek and/or Hebrew it's preferred that you work from that.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the reply, I wonder if this is the case worldwide.

Conservative Baptist and Presbyterian seminaries in four countries I know of use the ESV.

Similarly the RSV/NRSV seems to be used in mainline/liberal seminaries and university theology departments worldwide.

I believe that some Pentecostal churches around the world may use the KJV.

I'm not aware of any recent large-scale survey of usage, but I'd be very interested if anybody knows of one.

Of course, I'm thinking just about the English-speaking Protestant world. Catholics have their own smorgasbord of versions, including the Douay-Rheims, Knox Bible, RSV/NRSV, Jerusalem Bible, and New American Bible. I'm not 100% sure which ones Catholic seminaries use (except that, along with Greek and Hebrew, Latin is also in the mix).

And if you get away from English, the smorgasbord is usually much smaller. Many countries have just one main version in their own language.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Interesting, so the KJV is pretty much no longer in use, would that be correct?

The KJV will likely not be featured in classes beyond historical value as it is not accurate enough to be used as a tool for serious study.

More accurate versions like the NASB and ESV will be used.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess that I should also add that, if the class is being taught using commentaries on specific books, that commentary may be organised around a specific Bible version, but the commentator may also give his or her own translation of the book (although usually with frequent references to the original Greek or Hebrew).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there I just wondered for student's at Bible college what translation is used?
I particularly am interested in those at college training to be pastors.
Thank you.
Parallel versions are great and cover many situations, if this is a gift.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums