Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My OP was not to compliment Beto, got that? The OP was intended to provide information about the lack of background checks at some gun shows and what gun sellers are saying.
If, upon reconsideration, you want to say this now, that's fine. However, it isn't what was presented in the OP, and I could only go by what was in the OP.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sad how many beg to have rights taken away by the false pretense of safety no amount of red tape stops crime for a killer will kill no matter what all you people do is make it harder for those who genuinely just like firearms if you REALLY care and REALLY want to help you will look into why mental instability seems to be breeding here in America or if you just are looking to tread on the rights of others keep pushing gun control ( a means by which a certain groups [attempts] controls who gets a firearm)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We talk about the gun show loophole being sellers selling guns in the parking lot but not inside the actual show; clearly this isn't the case in AR.
This man had tables in the gun show and was legally selling guns without a background check.

Linck, who later said he doesn't identify with either political party, supports closing the so-called gun-show loophole and requiring background checks for all gun sales.

"I have tables here, but there's no background check," Linck told O'Rourke, a former Texas congressman.

O'Rourke asked him whether Linck would accept a requirement that gun-show sellers like him get a federal firearms license, and Linck responded he would.

Another man, a Republican gun owner, said..
Their political differences aside, Beaver said he told O'Rourke, "I respect you for talking to me."

"I saw him walk by and said 'wow what's he doing here?" Beaver said as he recounted their conversation.

He even said he might be willing to support O'Rourke's assault weapons buy-back plan -- so long as he got a fair rate and "the rest of America takes a part in it" too.

For his part, O'Rourke told ABC News, he felt he "learned something by listening to him."

"We're not going to get this done until we include everyone in this conversation," O'Rourke said. "You're never allowed to write anybody off because they're a Republican, because they're a gun seller, because they're at a gun show."

Laws are different in different states. I solidly believe in states rights, but it seems to me that because of interstate transportation of guns and the cost to both human life and actual economic cost to communities through gun violence, it may be time for tougher federal gun laws.
If, upon reconsideration, you want to say this now, that's fine. However, it isn't what was presented in the OP, and I could only go by what was in the OP.
See the post above...
You really thought this was to pat Beto on the back? Did you read the first line of the OP and the last paragraph stating my pov?
If you did, you should have known my reason for posting the article.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what America needs is relief from random mass shootings at public events. And the weapon of choice for these things are assault rifles with high capacity magazines. It just isn't the same if someone walks into a mall with a .30-30 lever action deer rifle with seven rounds before the shooter has to pull out more rounds and shove them one at a time into the magazine.
"IF you could keep high capacity guns out of the hands of criminals, which isn't likely, since they are criminals, there are lots of other ways to kill a lot of people. Actually a guy with a good deer rifle up high somewhere could kills dozens if he was a good shot. The spray and pray method usually employed by these morons is probably the least effective way of getting a high body count.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
"IF you could keep high capacity guns out of the hands of criminals, which isn't likely, since they are criminals, there are lots of other ways to kill a lot of people. Actually a guy with a good deer rifle up high somewhere could kills dozens if he was a good shot. The spray and pray method usually employed by these morons is probably the least effective way of getting a high body count.

Fortunately for us the typical terrorist killer sees himself as a Rambo type and wants to see his dead bodies up close. There is no doubt in my mind that just passing a law against these types of weapons isn't sufficient to make them disappear completely.

I would use incentives first to remove those weapons who's owners would rather sell than risk punishment later. To that aim, I would set aside something like a year in which anyone could sell an assault style weapon to the government for full list price. After that year, mere possession would be punished with mandatory jail time.

That still won't get rid of all of them. But it would make it VERY difficult for these wannabe terrorists to get their hands on one. And they sure couldn't take one to the local firing range and get instruction and practice on how to use it.

As far as snipers go, there just isn't the name recognition that goes with standing in the blood until someone shoots back.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you believe this?
Why do you believe that rural people are not as concerned for victims of gun violence as suburbanites?
What makes you believe the guys selling guns at this gun show were well educated suburbanites?

I have been to Conway many times. It is the home of Hendrix College (private) and University of Central Arkansas, which I believe is the second largest school in the state university system. It has graduate schools, a physical therapy school, perhaps other grad programs. It is also a bedroom community for Little Rock, about 30 miles away, and Little Rock is the most progressive part of Arkansas (with the exception of Fayetteville, university town, and Eureka Springs, tourist town with artists' colonies, diversity weekends (same sex couple wedding venue...)

I look at Conway as kind of an incongruous place to hold gun shows. University towns are refuges and shelters for progressive people who find themselves living in very conservative states. I just think that the "crowd" would be a lot more receptive to Beto's message.

In a place like Conway, people who never held a gun in their lives (like me) might be inspired to go just to see Beto and leave without spending a dime...

I don't know if even Beto could bring me to a gun show....but certainly guns never could.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sad how many beg to have rights taken away by the false pretense of safety no amount of red tape stops crime for a killer will kill no matter what all you people do is make it harder for those who genuinely just like firearms if you REALLY care and REALLY want to help you will look into why mental instability seems to be breeding here in America or if you just are looking to tread on the rights of others keep pushing gun control ( a means by which a certain groups [attempts] controls who gets a firearm)

The threat of violence posed by the proliferation of firearms constitutes just as much a loss of rights (arguably quite a bit moreso) as does the threat of losing access to those firearms. Contrary to your argument, killers will not necessarily kill with any weapon - many killings are spontaneous and/or opportunistic and easy access to firearms facilitates the escalation of violence in already tense situations.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The threat of violence posed by the proliferation of firearms constitutes just as much a loss of rights (arguably quite a bit moreso) as does the threat of losing access to those firearms. Contrary to your argument, killers will not necessarily kill with any weapon - many killings are spontaneous and/or opportunistic and easy access to firearms facilitates the escalation of violence in already tense situations.
Boston bomber OKC bomber England acid attacks China mass stabbings etc etc

• Agree
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A knife-wielding man.. in Sydney, Australia was stopped when members of the public were able to pin him on his back using a milk crate, authorities said.
Members of public use milk crate to stop man suspected of killing 1 in Australia knife attack

How many AR15 carrying madmen in the USA are stopped by someone with a milk crate?
Do you have a duty to protect and provide for your family?

https://nypost.com/2017/03/28/homeowners-son-kills-three-would-be-burglars-with-ar-15/

17-Year-Old Girl Uses Dad's Gun to Defend Home From Intruder - GunsAmerica Digest

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One that requires guns and killing others? no.
so you wouldn't want to do everything in your power to keep your family safe certainly you can't be serious when it comes to keeping children safe

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can keep going but you get the point...
Yes your point is promoting a culture of more and more death and mayhem.
Proverbs 14:12
1 Timothy 5:8
I have provided for my family adequately without a need to use a weapon.
No need to carry an AR15 nor any other weapon around.
Just know some people carry to keep people like you and children safe
I don't need nor want your kind of help, thank you very much.

• Agree
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please clarify for me

If you had a opportunity to stop a horrific tragedy you would sit back and watch if the only solution was to use a firearm? This question is for clarification thus must be q yes or no

Yes your point is promoting a culture of more and more death and mayhem.
Proverbs 14:12

I have provided for my family adequately without a need to use a weapon.
No need to carry an AR15 nor any other weapon around.

I don't need nor want your kind of help, thank you very much.

• Agree
Upvote 0