Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think is the best security program and why. If you all don't mind, please leave out the expense aspect of things and focus on effectiveness. I'm looking for effectiveness and options.

I also like really great customer service and I don't get it with the 2 top choices on my list so... I'm wondering if there is something better out there for me than my top 2. My top 2 are big bloated things that float like a whale... but I like the options and the security. .... I won't say what they are for now because I'll like to hear others views.

Last edited:

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Security programs come in various forms but on a Windows box I would generally tend to use Avast anti-virus (either free or paid subscription) or maybe Kaspersky. Combine that with something like Malwarebytes and that should be enough for the average user.

A properly configured firewall is a good means of security, this should be setup during networking setup on say a wifi connection.

An often overlooked area of home network security is your router/modem which connects you to the internet. As most of these devices cannot be upgraded to cope with security issues that may happen over time, it may be the weakest link in your system overall - hence the importance to make sure each computer/device in that network is as bulletproof as it can be made.

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Security programs come in various forms but on a Windows box I would generally tend to use Avast anti-virus (either free or paid subscription) or maybe Kaspersky. Combine that with something like Malwarebytes and that should be enough for the average user.

A properly configured firewall is a good means of security, this should be setup during networking setup on say a wifi connection.

An often overlooked area of home network security is your router/modem which connects you to the internet. As most of these devices cannot be upgraded to cope with security issues that may happen over time, it may be the weakest link in your system overall - hence the importance to make sure each computer/device in that network is as bulletproof as it can be made.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Kaspersky is my favourite and I'll never use anything else.

Luckily my bank gives it out to anyone that wants it, so I get it for free :) Most banks here give out free anti-virus if you're registered to be able to do online banking (which is no extra charge either).

Check to see what your bank offers :)

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Can you expound on using Malwarebytes with other programs etc... I'm interested in your view on this.

Also, wondering why you like the programs you've suggested?

Good point about the modem.

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Kaspersky is my favourite and I'll never use anything else.

Luckily my bank gives it out to anyone that wants it, so I get it for free :) Most banks here give out free anti-virus if you're registered to be able to do online banking (which is no extra charge either).

Check to see what your bank offers :)

Can I ask you why Kaspersky is your favourite? ...just want your views.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Can I ask you why Kaspersky is your favourite? ...just want your views.

It doesn't get in the way, like some other programs. It updates almost daily, unlike some other programs. It catches A LOT of things which, in my experience with other programs, would probably have slipped through.

I've tried Norton, McAfee and some of the free ones out there, but I prefer Kaspersky :)

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I second this...been using Avast & MalwareBytes for a couple years on my windowboxes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't get in the way, like some other programs. It updates almost daily, unlike some other programs. It catches A LOT of things which, in my experience with other programs, would probably have slipped through.

I've tried Norton, McAfee and some of the free ones out there, but I prefer Kaspersky :)

Thanks :) ...so you don't find Nortons is as effective as Kaspersky as far as security?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks :) ...so you don't find Nortons is as effective as Kaspersky as far as security?

Nope. I never did like Norton that much.

As for Avast and Malwarebytes, they're alright considering they're free, but from my position, Kaspersky is always free thanks to my bank, so it wins every time :)

Reactions: Aviela
Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nope. I never did like Norton that much.

As for Avast and Malwarebytes, they're alright considering they're free, but from my position, Kaspersky is always free thanks to my bank, so it wins every time :)

k thanks... I assume you are offered Kaspersky internet security and not Kaspersky Pure?

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I like Malwarebytes and I like Vipre Antivirus by Threat Track Security (formerly GFI, formerly Sunbelt Software). It's lightweight, doesn't bother you with popups, and I've found it be very successful at catching stuff that other programs miss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like Malwarebytes and I like Vipre Antivirus by Threat Track Security (formerly GFI, formerly Sunbelt Software). It's lightweight, doesn't bother you with popups, and I've found it be very successful at catching stuff that other programs miss.

Thanks for posting. :)

Upvote 0

Aviela

Bubbles
Aug 22, 2013
✟32,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But I find make this decision hard is that different security programs are better at different things and some are better at catching some viruses and other programs are better at catching other viruses. The other thing is the customer service can really be good with one security program but the program itself not so great so I don't, I see this whole issue is a real mixed bag.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Define "security program." It seems you mean mostly anti-virus, in which case I suggest AVG. IMO it has a much friendlier user interface than Avast, but both are good - AND free.

MacAfee and Norton are both notoriously bad. And not free.

Malwarebytes is very good at catching things both of those may not, as is Spybot. And again, both offer a free version that for my purposes is more than enough.

Upvote 0