Does anyone have any idea why im not getting the internet speeds im paying for?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ok so I upgraded my internet the other day from 500mb/s to 1 gb/s yet when I run a speed test im still getting my old 500 mb/s speeds. I've called Spectrum and they told me that there's no reason I shouldn't be getting 1 gb speeds. My router is fine, my modem is shooting out 1 gb speeds (customer service pinged my modem and it is pumping out the correct speeds) I've checked my routers options and they're all fine there's nothing wrong. Yet I'm not getting the internet im paying for. I'm at my witts end and about to call Spectrum again and just get my jnternet back to 500 mbit.

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok so I upgraded my internet the other day from 500mb/s to 1 gb/s yet when I run a speed test im still getting my old 500 mb/s speeds. I've called Spectrum and they told me that there's no reason I shouldn't be getting 1 gb speeds. My router is fine, my modem is shooting out 1 gb speeds (customer service pinged my modem and it is pumping out the correct speeds) I've checked my routers options and they're all fine there's nothing wrong. Yet I'm not getting the internet im paying for. I'm at my witts end and about to call Spectrum again and just get my jnternet back to 500 mbit.
Personally, I would call back to get the previous speeds, 500mb sec and not bother to try a to find out why.

I use a 50 mb/s service and can stream HD TV or music why do you need more?

Cheers.

Jff

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I would call back to get the previous speeds, 500mb sec and not bother to try a to find out why.

I use a 50 mb/s service and can stream HD TV or music why do you need more?

Cheers.

Jff

Because I game and have lots of devices that need internet as well. One of the main games I play requires pretty high internet speeds. I could downgrade if I don't fix the problem but I'd rather investigate what's wrong. Could it just be the method that I'm using to test my Internet?

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your hardware or consoles might not be able to go higher than 500mbs
Depends on what you use.
I'd suggest looking into hardware upgrades (after making sure you've got the latest drivers for your current setup) if on PC, on console... Not sure if any of them are capable of a gig

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because I game and have lots of devices that need internet as well. One of the main games I play requires pretty high internet speeds. I could downgrade if I don't fix the problem but I'd rather investigate what's wrong. Could it just be the method that I'm using to test my Internet?
yes it might be the testing service you use, does the company you use have their own testing service? since you connect at their end, best to use their testing site.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Your hardware or consoles might not be able to go higher than 500mbs
Depends on what you use.
I'd suggest looking into hardware upgrades (after making sure you've got the latest drivers for your current setup) if on PC, on console... Not sure if any of them are capable of a gig

I thought of that. Spectrum gave me a modem capable of handling 3 gb speeds and Spectrum looked up the router I'm using and it should be okay. It's a 5G router so it should be fine. If I can't fix this by next week I might just downgrade. I'm content with 500 mb internet but don't want to pay 1g prices for 500mb internet.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
yes it might be the testing service you use, does the company you use have their own testing service? since you connect at their end, best to use their testing site.

I tried speed test by Oakla they're usually reliable. But, I'll check if Spectrum has their own testing program.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I thought of that. Spectrum gave me a modem capable of handling 3 gb speeds and Spectrum looked up the router I'm using and it should be okay. It's a 5G router so it should be fine. If I can't fix this by next week I might just downgrade. I'm content with 500 mb internet but don't want to pay 1g prices for 500mb internet.
can you connect with ethernet? if it would be possible and practical i would try this, ethernet card are really cheap and easy to install.

Cheers.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I tried speed test by Oakla they're usually reliable. But, I'll check if Spectrum has their own testing program.
yes they do i just used it a moment ago it gave me the correct speed for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
can you connect with ethernet? if it would be possible and practical i would try this, ethernet card are really cheap and easy to install.

Cheers.

my wireless and ethernet speeds are about the same. My computer is connected through ethernet and our tablets, phone, TV, and wife's computer is through wireless.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In some cases you are sharing your connection with other people on your provider. You connection will be fine until they reach a certain number of customers, and then they cut everyone back to an equal, but lessor amount.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Cheers.
I second this. Ethernet will give the Original Poster his/her intended speeds. Ethernet is ALWAYS faster than Wireless. Personally I use WI-FI but I prefer using Ethernet when available.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,588.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As for @Neostarwcc , why your not getting the speeds you are paying for...it could be because your not using ethernet. OR it could be a busy time of day. There are just too many variables.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums