✟7,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mark, Matthew, Luke, or John?

This one was likely written first, is the shortest of the four, and according to tradition (a.t.t.), was written by John Mark, who wrote down Simon Peter's accounts of Jesus's ministry and passion. It focuses mostly on things Jesus did and portrays Him as a teacher who is constantly misunderstood, even by His own disciples. However, this Gospel lacks information on Jesus's early life and lacks in details regarding the resurrection.

Matthew is essentially Mark Deluxe Edition. Longest of the four gospels, written by Matthew the Apostle (an eyewitness) a.t.t., and intended for a Jewish audience, or at least one familiar with the Old Testament. This Gospel quotes the OT more than any other Gospel and has the goal of showing its reader that Jesus is the promised Messiah.

Luke is the most biography-like of the Gospels, listing events from Jesus's birth and youth, to His public ministry, to His death and resurrection and even His ascension. I feel it's also the best to read before reading Acts. One nitpick I have with this one though is that the passion narrative of this gospel isn't as dark as the one in Mark/Matthew, in my opinion.

John is the most unique on the four, and focuses on who Jesus is. Also written by an eyewitness, from it's very start it tells us the Jesus is God, and existed with God since the very beginning. Jesus talks about Himself in this gospel more than any of the others.

Thoughts?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is there a best if it's not all four together? Each Gospel gives us a slightly different account/tells us about Jesus from different perspectives. In Matthew, we see Him principally as the King. In Mark, as the Servant. In Luke, as the Man. And in John, as God. The four also both support and expand the knowledge and understanding that we have about the other three. I probably spend more time in John, especially around here (because so many soteriological issues are addressed there), but I don't believe one Gospel should be considered better than the others.

--David
p.s. - John is the Book that I point new Christians toward as the best place to start reading the Bible. And it's the only Book that I regularly recommend to non-Christians.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My preference is John, which is an amazing read for the newly converted (or soon will be) unto even the most mature of Christians. My particular favorite chapters of John are 14-16.

However, my favorite section of the Bible has got to be Matthew 5 through Matthew 7: unparalleled in the rest of the New Testament in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This one was likely written first, is the shortest of the four, and according to tradition (a.t.t.), was written by John Mark, who wrote down Simon Peter's accounts of Jesus's ministry and passion. It focuses mostly on things Jesus did and portrays Him as a teacher who is constantly misunderstood, even by His own disciples. However, this Gospel lacks information on Jesus's early life and lacks in details regarding the resurrection.

Matthew is essentially Mark Deluxe Edition. Longest of the four gospels, written by Matthew the Apostle (an eyewitness) a.t.t., and intended for a Jewish audience, or at least one familiar with the Old Testament. This Gospel quotes the OT more than any other Gospel and has the goal of showing its reader that Jesus is the promised Messiah.

Luke is the most biography-like of the Gospels, listing events from Jesus's birth and youth, to His public ministry, to His death and resurrection and even His ascension. I feel it's also the best to read before reading Acts. One nitpick I have with this one though is that the passion narrative of this gospel isn't as dark as the one in Mark/Matthew, in my opinion.

John is the most unique on the four, and focuses on who Jesus is. Also written by an eyewitness, from it's very start it tells us the Jesus is God, and existed with God since the very beginning. Jesus talks about Himself in this gospel more than any of the others.

Thoughts?
Depends on what a person is seeking to learn at any present time. Ultimately, to gain a comprehensive understanding of Jesus, read all of the Gospels. Read God's word daily, and pray without ceasing. Glory to God.

By the way 'Wolf, Welcome to Christian Forums. I'm hopeful you'll enjoy your time here. There are many 'rooms' to visit at CF... Glad you joined us.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Thoughts?
Each gospel would seem to have its advantages, it seems to me. I fine myself most frequently quoting Matthew. Mark was supposed to be the first written. Luke might have been the one that took the longest to write (just guessing), because the author himself apparently did not witness the events he was writing about. John seems to tell the the story from the Lord's point of view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timtams

Aug 26, 2018
South
✟74,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?

Tradition says that Matthew wrote first.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
written by John Mark
Mark was the son of Mary who owned the upper room where the disciples stayed when they were in Jerusalem. He did not travel with the disciples like Matthew did. Even Paul still considered Mark to be young and not mature enough. They want on a mission trip together and Paul was upset that Mark wanted to go home early. Luke was able to get them to reconcile their differences. Later on Mark brought Paul some books and he was very happy with that. So they were able to work things out between them.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My preference is John, which is an amazing read for the newly converted (or soon will be) unto even the most mature of Christians. My particular favorite chapters of John are 14-16.

However, my favorite section of the Bible has got to be Matthew 5 through Matthew 7: unparalleled in the rest of the New Testament in my opinion.
Did you know that the Gospel of John is read (daily readings) right after Pascha in the Orthodox Churches?
Customarily, Lent was a 'crash course' catechism culminating with baptisms/charismations on Pascha, followed by reading John by the new converts.

• Informative
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0