Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between preaching in the flesh and in the Spirit, and how do we know the difference? Paul identified some who were preaching the gospel out of envy and jealousy, but he did not instruct his followers to stop them, because "at least the gospel is being preached." Jesus' disciples told Him that there was someone casting out demons in His name who were not part of their group. Jesus said not to stop them because he who is not against Me is for Me.

Also, "in the flesh" has been misquoted as being of our natural abilities, but that is not how the Scripture defines it. "In the flesh" as the Scripture defines it is having a lifestyle that is based on the works of the flesh as in Galatians 5, and those who are in the flesh according to that Scripture will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The expression "in the flesh" was not known or used before the Pentecostals started using it to describe folks performing spiritual activities and not being Pentecostals like them. Many Pentecostals teach that any church or person who is not "Spirit-filled" according to the Pentecostal way, are living and moving in the flesh in all they do. But that is a misuse of Scripture.

When a person is in the flesh, it means that they are not born again of the Spirit of God. When a person is in the Spirit, it means that they are born again in Christ and therefore are Spirit-filled.

So, how can you prove that Benny Hinn is preaching in the flesh or the Spirit? Especially when people are getting saved and healed through his ministry, even with his faults and shortcomings (which we all have, by the way)?[/QUOTE

Some times, the answers we seek, come in the form of a question. Would you really wish to take me to school Oscar? Have you forgotten the words in our pm back then? May The Lord Bless you and keep you!

Upvote 0

goldenboy

Feb 4, 2010
✟18,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do folks remember the story about William Branham, the powerful healing evangelist in the 1950s and 60s? He preached in the power of the Holy Spirit with remarkable words of knowledge and healing - as long as he kept to his calling as a healing evangelist. But he decided to become a Bible teacher, much against the advice of all his brethen in the ministry. It was then that he started to teach some wacky doctrines, and after he died, his followers broke away from the mainstream Pentecostal churches and formed the "oneness" or "Jesus only" churches that believed that a person could be saved only if they were baptised in the Name of Jesus, and not the Father, Son and Holy Ghost". This caused one of the greatest divisions in the Pentecostal movement in the 20th Century. This shows that when a person moves out of their original prophetic calling, they lose the cutting edge of the Holy Spirit and are in danger of going into error. This is what happened to Branham. He started thinking that he was Elijah come back to herald the Second Coming.
!

I think that the info that you have on Branham is incorrect. It is, however, so firmly entrenched in the general consciousness that it is repeated as the truth.

Here are the facts, as I understand them.

1. Jesus only, and Oneness, were around before Branham went astray. IIRC, he fellowshipped a lot with them before he received his "Calling/Gift". Reading Lindsey's bio, "A Man Sent From God" (online, free) Jack Moore was the initial impetus for his ministry, as we understand the term. Moore was Oneness.

2. It seems that Branham was not afraid to fellowship with Oneness groups, but, this was perhaps no more than they having a readiness to flock to him, rather than his being Oneness.

3. Branham, himself didn't teach Oneness doctrines. I have read, IIRC, from an actual associate of Branham's, that he NEVER was a Oneness teacher, and often was amazed that others believed that he was. What seemed to hang the Oneness label onto him as a permanent fixture was Harrell's book "All Things Are Possible", written around 1975. Harrell's scholarship was first class, but, he quoted one of Branham's Oneness fanatics as saying that in Branham's later years, Branham "openly preached the Oneness message". Investigation (per Branham's homeboy) shows that there was no "Oneness" doctrine in any of Branham's recordings, but, Harrell never clarified.

Branham has been accused of all kinds of mischief. I have checked him out a lot, but, haven't found much. Of course, I haven't made an in-depth study of his later teachings, and, I may very well have misunderstood your post and/or Branham's position, but, I do believe that your info on him, in re "Oneness" is incorrect.

Best wishes,
Goldenboy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There is an easy way to tell Oscarr...

Joh 14:12 Truly, truly, I say to you the one believing into Me, the works which I do, that one shall do also, and greater than these he will do, because I am going to My Father.

Jesus stated the example,.... Him.

Is a Christian doing it the way that Jesus did, or is he/she taking another path?

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was skeptical about Benny Hinn until I went to one of his meetings. What they don't show on videos is the hour long praise and worship before any preaching or healings. God inhabits the praises of His people. In other words, God shows up. LOL I also respect Kathryn Khulman and Benny came out of her ministry.

My future wife went to one of his crusades in Bogota, Colombia back around 1995.

On the way to the podium.... he stopped..... walked over to her and gave her a prophecy that she was going to be given a ministry where she travelled all around the world...... she would be given a foreign husband.........

At the time she was told this she felt that this meant that her then husband would repent... and become a new person but no.... her husband left her for another woman and divorced her.

Because of Pastor Benny Hinn's prophecy my wife was more willing to receive the guidance that I was going to be her husband.......
and she was even told to fast and pray for me for 35 days. For four weeks... for three days / week only fruit juices and Messiah Yeshua - Jesus woke her up early to pray for me...... For the fifth week seven days in a row only fruit juices......... and while she did this I was 3000 miles north of her going through amazing Shalom / peace of mind.

Pastor Benny Hinn has some pretty astonishing spiritual gifts. She met him again in Quito, Ecuador....and again.... he gave her the same prophecy..... but with twenty thousand people at the meeting in Bogota... it is unlikely that he remembered giving her that prophecy there.

Upvote 0

Desires Light

Refreshingly different.
Jun 4, 2018
Queensland
✟10,388.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know that there have been threads on this topic before and there has been quite a range of views, some very supportive, and others fairly harsh and unloving toward him.
The first question to be asked - Is he a born again Christian brother? If he is, then we have to love him as Christ loves us, because if we cannot love him like that, we know really know God at all, because God is pure love.
The next question I have is, does he preach the Lordship of Christ, the need to receive Christ as Saviour, the need to repent, and the necessity of living a holy life before God? If so, he cannot be a false preacher or teacher, because he is teaching the fundamentals of the Christian faith.
The next question is: are the manifestations of falling over in the Spirit and other manifestation associated with his ministry true or false? Well, if he is preaching truth as I have defined above, there is a good indication that the manifestations are true also.
Do we all agree with what he does and how he does it? No, and this is quite normal because we all have different perspectives and callings. We all do things differently, but because there is a diversity of gifts, callings and methods, that doesn't mean that just because we disagree, that it is actually false and not of God.

A false teacher or preacher is not a genuine born again believer in Christ. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He does not promote the Lordship of Christ, quite the opposite, he will promote New Age self dependence, and say that Number One is the most important person to be considered (by that I mean self, and self improvement). He will also promote liberalism in that it is not necessary to live a holy life, because Jesus forgave all sin, so it won't matter if we keep sinning. We won't be subject to any consequences if we sleep around, get involved in the occult, consult fortune tellers, because psychics can guide people just as well as the Holy Spirit. This is how the New Testament defines a false prophet, teacher, or preacher.

Just because a Charismatic preacher has unusual manifestations in his meetings and whole groups of people are slain in the Spirit, it doesn't mean that he is a false teacher. Actually, God is not very concerned about manifestations unless they are so out of control that they promote riotous living and lawlessness and a lack of self-control in people's daily living.

I just thought I would chuck that into the pot and see what boils up.
Let's see if he can sell all he has and give to the poor, then I might consider him a brother in the Lord.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Let's see if he can sell all he has and give to the poor, then I might consider him a brother in the Lord.

For you to make such a statement, you must have done that yourself? Right? Otherwise you couldn't be the same at your level of brothers in Christ.

Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

Desires Light

Refreshingly different.
Jun 4, 2018
Queensland
✟10,388.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For you to make such a statement, you must have done that yourself? Right? Otherwise you couldn't be the same at your level of brothers in Christ.
No, that's only for people who put their wealth over the Lord, which is obvious he does. As for me selling all I have, I have nothing, as I possess only the essentials. I have one phone, a few item's of clothes, no money and in one hour from now I'll be living among the bird's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one thing about selling all to follow Christ
is that as others stated,you cant take such a strong stance unless you have done so .
and to have done so you have had much to sell and give up.
if youve never had much
then there is no grounds to make the statement.
we remember that The lord Jesus had given the glory he had with the father in order to be standing there saying that to the man

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My future wife went to one of his crusades in Bogota, Colombia back around 1995.

On the way to the podium.... he stopped..... walked over to her and gave her a prophecy that she was going to be given a ministry where she travelled all around the world...... she would be given a foreign husband.........

At the time she was told this she felt that this meant that her then husband would repent... and become a new person but no.... her husband left her for another woman and divorced her.

Because of Pastor Benny Hinn's prophecy my wife was more willing to receive the guidance that I was going to be her husband.......
and she was even told to fast and pray for me for 35 days. For four weeks... for three days / week only fruit juices and Messiah Yeshua - Jesus woke her up early to pray for me...... For the fifth week seven days in a row only fruit juices......... and while she did this I was 3000 miles north of her going through amazing Shalom / peace of mind.

Pastor Benny Hinn has some pretty astonishing spiritual gifts. She met him again in Quito, Ecuador....and again.... he gave her the same prophecy..... but with twenty thousand people at the meeting in Bogota... it is unlikely that he remembered giving her that prophecy there.

So the Holy Spirit who speaks to and works through Benny Hinn has no problem with divorce and remarriage? That's a pretty huge red flag.

Again, I am deeply, deeply skeptical of Benny Hinn. Want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but would advise folks to steer clear.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the Holy Spirit who speaks to and works through Benny Hinn has no problem with divorce and remarriage? That's a pretty huge red flag.

Again, I am deeply, deeply skeptical of Benny Hinn. Want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but would advise folks to steer clear.
Do you hold the same opinion toward All who display blatant error ?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God also spoke through a Donkey, the gifts or attributes are not ours but of the Holy Spirit.they are not special or unique to individual men and are not a validation of everything a person does.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you hold the same opinion toward All who display blatant error ?
I try to be open minded, but can't agree that a preacher who prophesies to a Christian woman to remarry is someone to hold up as an example, or to recommend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try to be open minded, but can't agree that a preacher who prophesies to a Christian woman to remarry is someone to hold up as an example, or to recommend.
what about a denominational leader who does not discourage the sin of bestowing titles on himself that belong to God alone.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Benny says that he has healed many many people.

Please let him know I will buy him a plane ticket to San Diego and we can visit Children's Hospital together.

M-Bob
no problem ,have you been yourself first?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
no problem ,have you been yourself first?

I have no healing power but, I can pray for others. I heard Benny say one time he cured a blind man and then the blind man could see and he actually had two different color eyes. I'm sure that blind man had a personal doctor and that doctor would have been in all the newspapers telling the world about that if it was true.

Sad so sad.

So sure let's see what he can do at a children's hospital with some real healing with real Witnesses.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have no healing power but, I can pray for others. I heard Benny say one time he cured a blind man and then the blind man could see and he actually had two different color eyes. I'm sure that blind man had a personal doctor and that doctor would have been in all the newspapers telling the world about that if it was true.

Sad so sad.

So sure let's see what he can do at a children's hospital with some real healing with real Witnesses.

M-Bob
dont get me wrong,im no hinn supporter.
but when you say ,why doesnt a person go to such and such a hospital
...should you not also do that?
healing is always done by any believer.

Upvote 0