• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Belief is not a choice

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by Blindwatchmaker, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    And that's all you need to know.

2. Clizby WampusCat

Clizby WampusCat Well-Known Member

+526
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    So I never said I wanted to convince you of anything. Its just a conversation.

Answer what? I did answer you directly. You are the one that stopped the conversation not me.

3. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    But here's where it gets ugly.
    If I die of Covid next week before God has found time in his schedule to give me a new disposition which would suddenly have made everything convincing to me (despite finding the evidence decidedly underwhelming for decades), then what?

Then depending on your theology, I'm either sent to Hell or some oblivion.
    And everyone here seems totally fine with that.

Again - I'm not rebelling against God. I don't hate God. I'm not angry with God.
    It all just seems like Harry Potter to me.

4. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,828
    Christian
    Single
    Lol

Then why were you trying so hard to convince me?

5. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    To be fair, whatever your view on my opening post, you were making a preposterous claim.
    You said that you can decide to believe ANYTHING on a whim and no matter how much evidence you have counter to that claim you will still believe it.
    That just isn't how correctly functioning human brains operate.

6. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,940
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    christianity is not about a system like islam and is opposed to what the Messiah is offering.

christianity is about a person/man and who do you believe He is.

Maybe you or even with an influence by satan has been blinded by being exposed to christianity which has taken evidence/information from the Bible and turned it into a system. Which most always brings about misunderstanding and turning away or rejection of the truth.

7. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    Well, I can only do my best.
    Search for truth and understanding with an open mind and heart.
    If Satan is stopping me from being convinced, then is it right for God to punish me?
    Why doesn't God stop Satan from messing with people?
    Is it because he can't (not powerful enough) or because he doesnt want to (perhaps he's busy?..)

8. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    The condition you stipulated was: "If God exists and wants me to know him, he knows where I am."

And that will be the answer.

9. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    Where does that leave the millions of people who died without belief in Christ?

For example, the six million Jews murdered by nazis in the holocaust.
    Very few if any of them believed in Jesus.
    Did God send them all to Hell directly once they left the gas chambers?

10. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Jesus said, "Whoever does not believe in the Son stands condemned already." (Jn 3:18)

But it can be changed.

11. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,940
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    The Bible states a problem, man is and has sinned and cannot acquire eternal life by any of their own efforts. That has separated man from God. But God has provided a way back, but just one single way. That way is through faith in The Messiah, believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of the Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

You may be like some who Jesus is addressing in these verses.

Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”

Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

What that is saying basically is, have you ever heard where some one learns something. Say a method of landscape oil painting, then they are exposed to a better way. Many times before they embrace this new way of painting and learn from it. They have to work out the old way of thinking from their old way of painting to be able to finally understand and see the new method.

In a way that is the case of many people they have been blinded by different theologies and can not see that God simply offers eternal life as a free gift to anyone who simply trust in The Messiah for this free gift. It is not about going to church or joining church or following some teachings of some denomination, etc... it is just like how this verse states.

You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Read the Gospel of John the only book in the Bible whose stated purpose for being written is to tell people how to have life (eternal life).

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

12. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    That's as good as it gets.

And if all that is actually true, at the right time and in the right way, you will receive what you are searching for.

There may be some things he wants to "put in place" first.

13. TedT

TedT Member since Job 38:7

+59
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Ordinary Christian Doctrine:
    There is NO PROOF of the reality of GOD's being to humans on this earth without the express help from GOD to see it. None. Sin clouds the mind and corrupts all desires and decisions. To reject GOD then blame the lack of perception of HIM on HIM being a figment is par for the secular course.

Without HIS grace to give us faith there is no finding HIM even though we all saw the PROOF of HIS Divinity and Power (Rom 1:20) when HE created the physical universe before our very eyes and every person in creation sang HIS praises: Job 38:7!

What caused the secular world to lose sight of that truth? Read for yourself: Romans 1:18 to the end.

14. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    What a horrible system.
    God sets up humankind to be automatically condemned and then makes it so that most of them are never convinced by his existence.

15. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+947
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'm sure that's been said more than once over at the state prison, our justice system.

16. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    You may be right.
    But the justice system isn't being run by the most powerful entity in the universe who could do a much better job of it.

17. TedT

+59
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    What if you have NO PROOF but only the word of 3 men that have asked you to believe in something outside of your perceptual truth...

We can use our perceptions to see one moon and reject the two moon theory. But in a pre-physical existence with no physical properties, how do you choose to accept or reject one of the persons with you when they say "I am your creator GOD!"?

That is the crux of my Christian theology...we can only choose to believe in, accepting or rejecting, the result we HOPE it will be in our best interest with the most happiness forever.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  18. Blindwatchmaker

Blindwatchmaker Member

+27
    United Kingdom
    Freethinker
    Private
    But if I applied that standard I could believe in any claim from anyone.
    What you're describing is wishful thinking not considered judgement of reality claims.
    Do you think faith is a reliable path to truth?

If so, how do you explain the billions of people who believe other things than you by faith?

19. TedT

+59
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    You got there by totally ignoring common Christian doctrine then claim to have defeated it...<headshake...>

20. TedT

+59
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    No it would not be ethical and thus we know it never happened. You are punished ONLY for the sins against HIM that YOU chose to by your free will though maybe feeling they were the right thing to do at the time.