Being Gay and Christian...is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trek4fr

May 21, 2011
✟7,954.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You are in no way competent to offer Biblical interpretations, let alone comment on the subject of homosexuality according to scripture.

I commented on it, BlackSabb, according to what Jesus said about it, or rather did not say, not "according to scripture" as the sum-total of the Bible. The Bible is seldom monolithic on any subject. IMO, we have to separate the chaff from the wheat. The teachings and life of Jesus help me do that.

Go back and learn what the Bible teaches, from OT to NT before you post again.

You have no control over my freedom to post. I'm a liberal Christian because I seek to follow Jesus' two commandments. I don't have to be an OT or NT scholar, trained in Hebrew, Aramaic, Koine Greek, and an authority on all things "biblical" to post here.

I have given you a clear cut Bible verse on this matter. Don't drag Jesus into this with such nonsense.

True, you did. And I reject the apostle Paul and Moses as my primary lights. I have one Light and find him to be quite sufficient. So I will inevitably drag Jesus into many of my responses. If you don't like it, please feel free to ignore my posts.

And now you're going to come here and give us all your interpretations of the Bible and justifications of homosexuality accordingly from it? I don't think so.

All I'm saying is 1) I strive to follow Jesus (though I often fail) and 2) if Jesus didn't mention homosexuality and make it the primary soapbox of his ministry, then why do those who claim to follow him make it their primary soapbox? Why don't we, as followers of Christ, focus on what he taught us, on what he thought was central, and remain silent on issues that he did not address? He said we would be known by our love and our good fruit, not by our stances on sexual issues.

Moses, Paul, and the whole of the Bible are fine as far as they go. But they don't go very far, IMO, in creating Christ-like Christians. Jesus, on the other hand, seems to be just the man for the job! :D

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

immadatyou.gif

sigh.....this is being closed for review.

Folks, the Statement of Faith for this particular forum is here and includes:

2) They affirm that all people everywhere share the worth that comes from being unique children created in the Image of God. These members do not make moral judgments on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. - do not view homosexuality or sexual reassignment as sin or unnatural.

While homosexuality cannot be promoted per the site rules, posting against is not okay in this particular forum.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Ok,reopening this thread. If your post is missing, it is because it was in violation of the rules or responding to one that was. Please remember the site rules.

Upvote 0

Biker Angel

Never coming back to this mad house
Sep 12, 2009
California
✟10,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leviticus 18:22

New International Version (©1984)
"'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

New Living Translation (©2007)
"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

English Standard Version (©2001)
You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

The same thing goes for women too. A women should not lie with another women. These verses must account for something concerning the gay life style.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat

"Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.

The same thing goes for women too. A women should not lie with another women. These verses must account for something concerning the gay life style.
Did you completely ignore the fact that this is the liberal forum and mods just told you guys to stop attacking our views here?

And those verses do not say that in Hebrew. They are referring to temple prostitution. The Torah also NEVER condemns lesbians.

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Alright, we don't need this thread getting locked down again. Let's be civil.

If you sift through this thread, you'll find that we all have our own way of 'dealing with' that piece of scripture. Many of us believe that contextually, it's speaking about temple prostitution; ritual sex as practiced by surrounding pagan tribes.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but please remember that this is the liberal forum, and a safe haven for gays and lesbians, et al. Our statement of purpose is here.
:)

Upvote 0

trek4fr

May 21, 2011
✟7,954.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Allow me, Biker, to play the Conservative Christian's Advocate for just a bit and ask you how *you* would personally deal with these men who, according to the NIV, have committed a detestable act?

I.e. a couple of verses later (verse 29), the Bible says:

"Everyone who does any of these detestable things—such persons must be cut off from their people."

Unless I am incorrect in my assumption, you would see Lev 18:22,29 as binding on all people for all time?

So how would you, Biker, cut these people off?

Let's flip over a couple more chapters and find out what "cut off from their people" means in Lev 20:13:

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Are you personally willing to put these people to death? Why or why not?
Are you willing to kill homosexuals as the Bible seems to demand in these verses?

As you have said,
These verses must account for something concerning the gay life style.
Do you want to just quote verses or are you ready and willing to act upon them? And if you are will to put people to death, how do you reconcile this with Jesus' teaching to love others?

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to loose my relationship with my wife. She means the world to me and we rely on eachother for assistance with our various medical needs.
I am afraid to give God my whole trust and love for fear that he will take her away from me.
I think that God won't, but people will try. Have you heard of the Nicene Creed? It is the basic statements of belief necessary to be a Christian. You can find it here:
The Nicene Creed

If you believe the things in the Nicene Creed, then you are a Christian, no matter what your sexual orientation is. Notice that the Creed doesn't mention anything about that.

Many modern Christians take a few Biblical verses and say homosexuality is a sin and not permitted. I suggest you read here:
THE BIBLE AND HOMOSEXUALITY

It discusses those verses and whether they mean what some Christians think they mean.

There are several denominations that do not tie salvation to heterosexuality. Episcopal is one. My denomination of United Methodist is another.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

But Paul also then said that those Laws did not apply anymore! They don't apply to Christians.

After all, do you keep to the dietary laws? Do you have clothes that mix cotton and synthetics? Undoubtedly. There's a law in Leviticus against that, too.

These verses must account for something concerning the gay life style.
Why? When the verses about what you should eat and not eat don't account for anything in your life style? Eat ham or bacon? Ah, that's a no-no. Shellfish too.

So, you need to explain the hypocrisy of applying those verses to forbid a gay lifestyle while ignoring the verses that impinge on your lifestyle. Dustmote, log, eye.

Upvote 0

Biker Angel

Sep 12, 2009
California
✟10,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you completely ignore the fact that this is the liberal forum and mods just told you guys to stop attacking our views here?

And those verses do not say that in Hebrew. They are referring to temple prostitution. The Torah also NEVER condemns lesbians.

I am not attacking anyone. I only posted a few verses from the bible. If you feel condemned or attacked then it's because of the verses not because of anything I said.

Reactions: Diane_Windsor
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biker Angel

Sep 12, 2009
California
✟10,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but please remember that this is the liberal forum, and a safe haven for gays and lesbians, et al. Our statement of purpose is here.
:)

Well I am not gay but if you all want to be then I guess it's OK then, as long as it's OK with God too and you have verses backing that up. I am not here to try and argue with anyone. We are to love one another no matter what. I had a lot more stuff here that I wrote but deleted it because Jesus told me too.

You all have a real good day and if it's OK with you I would like to drop by again sometime to say hi. I am Liberal in my own little way.:cool:

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Well I am not gay but if you all want to be then I guess it's OK then, as long as it's OK with God too and you have verses backing that up. I am not here to try and argue with anyone. We are to love one another no matter what. I had a lot more stuff here that I wrote but deleted it because Jesus told me too.

You all have a real good day and if it's OK with you I would like to drop by again sometime to say hi. I am Liberal in my own little way.:cool:
You're certainly welcome to participate in discussions here, absolutely. :)

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not attacking anyone. I only posted a few verses from the bible. If you feel condemned or attacked then it's because of the verses not because of anything I said.
Well, just some friendly advice. "Gay lifestyle" is a conservative propaganda term used to demonize gays. There is no such thing as the gay lifestyle.

But as long as you remain respectful to our views on this issue, I have no problem.

Upvote 0

meliagaunt

Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Surrey, England
✟45,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well I am not gay but if you all want to be then I guess it's OK then, as long as it's OK with God too and you have verses backing that up.

Can I just point out that this thread has never been about us all wanting to be gay. The people defending the original poster's lifestyle choice are in some cases straight, and maybe in others not. I don't know. I don't care. You don't have to be gay to defend someone's right to a gay life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trek4fr

May 21, 2011
✟7,954.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are to love one another no matter what.

I agree.

You quoted:

Let's flip over a couple more chapters and find out what the Bible says should be done with these people who do these detestable things - Lev 20:13:

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Do you believe in this scriptural mandate, Biker?

Should homosexuals be put to death?

If you think they should not be put to death, are you going against the Word of the God?

If you think they should be put to death, how do you reconcile that with your belief that we are to love one another no matter what?

Don't just post scripture here, my friend. Share how you would apply it in a practical way in your life.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree.

You quoted:

Let's flip over a couple more chapters and find out what the Bible says should be done with these people who do these detestable things - Lev 20:13:

Do you believe in this scriptural mandate, Biker?

Should homosexuals be put to death?

If you think they should not be put to death, are you going against the Word of the God?

If you think they should be put to death, how do you reconcile that with your belief that we are to love one another no matter what?

Don't just post scripture here, my friend. Share how you would apply it in a practical way in your life.
I don't think they should be put to death, but it does give a very clear picture as to how God looks at such a practice............so live your life in ways that show your trying to please Him doing what He says is detestable is not.

Upvote 0

trek4fr

May 21, 2011
✟7,954.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think they should be put to death...

Why not? If we want to follow what the Bible says is the crime, why would we not want to follow what the Bible says is the punishment for said crime?

Is it consistent to say, "We must pay close attention to what God calls sins, but we are free to ignore God's prescribed punishment for sins." ???

How can you say that we must follow Lev 20:13a but we can ignore Lev 20:13b? Don't they necessarily go together? If you're going to be under the Law, don't you have to be under the whole Law?

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not? If we want to follow what the Bible says is the crime, why would we not want to follow what the Bible says is the punishment for said crime?

Is it consistent to say, "We must pay close attention to what God calls sins, but we are free to ignore God's prescribed punishment for sins." ???

How can you say that we must follow Lev 20:13a but we can ignore Lev 20:13b? Don't they necessarily go together? If you're going to be under the Law, don't you have to be under the whole Law?
Well if thats how you feel about it.......but were no longer in the old testiment we are in the new and in this period of grace and mercy we are given opportunity to repent and make changes. although we can't change the fact as to what God's opinions are regarding old testiment practices. God detested idol worship, can we now in this period of grace and mercy bow down and worship pagan idols and still believe we are secure in Christ? certainly many things God found detestable were for health reasons, I mean if you created something to clean the bottom the ocean and found people eating them you would be a bit grossed out EEWWW! why are you eating those things YUCK! same is true with homosexual behaviors....God created sex in a manner it would glorify Him and cause new life. Homosexuality does not and can not

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.