Being Gay and Christian...is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
So I was just wondering if someone was into inappropriate behavior with animals, when they get saved do they just tell people I'm sexually attracted to animals, but I'm no longer having sex with them,
Animals can't consent. Lousy analogy and an insulting one.

Do you honestly believe people are born with perverted sexual desires, such as inappropriate behavior with animals and pedophilia, and if they are do you think that some how its impossible for God to change them, I mean when we read the bible we see God changing people from being a naked crazy man running around the graveyard, into a calm dressed man able to hold a conversation,
Animals and children can't consent. Not a valid comparison.

But somehow changing someones sexual desires is just too big for God..
Or maybe God made gay people for a reason. He certainly has decided not to change their orientation for 99.9% of all gays. As that one politician stated, "How many gay people does God need to make before we accept he wants them here?".........

As a man who has been completely transformed, I have to say with God all things are possible, and while all addictions are tough to quit, knowing you can quit, is the first step........having people tell you, you can't quit is no help at all, or telling people they don't have to quit is even a greater tragedy.........
Sexual orientation is not capable of being changed in the overwhelming majority of humans. God, for whatever reason has chosen not to change people. There are several gay posters on this board who spent over a decade praying and begging God for a change. He never did, and in some cases, said he has no problem with it.

I think the more likely answer is that you're incorrect about how God feels.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry, I'm here to speak the truth and what the bible condemns.
No, you're preaching what your interpretation of the Bible says and what you believe is the truth. They are not the same thing. You are quite capable of being wrong (and seeing as you rely on bad english translations to base your truth on, I'd say you're most certainly wrong ).

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Romans 1:24-27 condemns homosexuality.
No it doesn't, it condemns heterosexuals from engaging in pagan prostitution and unbridled passion.

Even though Paul wrote it, it is still inspired by the Holy Spirit and therefore God wrote it and Jesus is God, so Jesus said it.
Wrong. God never wrote the Bible. Otherwise, God himself ordered babies to be smashed on rocks. If your "god" ordered that, he's a malevolent tyrant.

The sad truth is, if you continue in this sexually immoral lifestyle, the bible says God will give you over to it and you will continue in it and not feel shame and still think it's ok and in the end be condemned. This is true also for the heterosexual community who are in sexual sin.
Jesus condemned the conservative, self-righteous of his day. Never did he condemn a gay person. Something to think about while you continue to attack our views.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you brother. I'm glad to see that you know and speak the truth.
Perhaps it's best if you spend time in the conservative forums. It seems you're not here to ask questions or fellowship, only to condemn us for not accepting your flawed beliefs.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Paintedgoldfish,
First of all, let me say that this must be a frightening and strange time for you. Coming to Christ and then wondering if your whole world has to be turned upside down to be a good Christian. It is a problem many have faced for many different reasons. You are not alone in your distress, God loves you and will strengthen you, along with your new brothers and sisters. To address the issue of your sexuality, Scripture says that homosexual acts are a sin, being tempted by homosexual attraction is not. I'm sure these verses have been pointed out to you,

1Corinthians 6:9 Don't you know that evil people won't have a share in the blessings of God's kingdom? Don't fool yourselves! No one who is immoral or worships idols or is unfaithful in marriage or is a pervert or behaves like a homosexual,
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

It is the sexual act that is a sin, not the temptation. If your partner can accept a celibate relationship then you have a workable solution. If not, you may have to give it up. I know you are in a dificult situation and I will be praying for you. Let me leave you with another verse.
2Corinthians 4:16 We never give up. Our bodies are gradually dying, but we ourselves are being made stronger each day. 17 These little troubles are getting us ready for an eternal glory that will make all our troubles seem like nothing. 18 Things that are seen don't last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That's why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen.
Your interpretation of those verses is wrong. Homosexual does not exist in 1 Corinthians 6:9 for example, it was added by conservative Bible translators in 1958 to attack gays. It's not a historic view. Philo, Paul's contemporary, stated in 35 A.D. it condemned pagan prostitutes.

Seeing as you're new here Mr.Steve, let me also remind you this is the liberal forum. We are a safe haven for LGBT members, and most of us do not believe the Bible ever condemns modern day homosexuality.

It is against the forum rules to challenge our views. You're only allowed to ask questions or fellowship in the faith/congregation forums if you don't belong to that particular group.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to tell whether the poster is still around in all of this noise. If so, I'd like to comment on the original questions

First, while I don't think the Bible, properly understood, condemns all gay sex, I have concerns about the attitude of your posting. I think the right approach for a new Christian is to understand that having a relationship with God is going to change some things for you, and it may be things you currently don't think you'd want to change. I worry about someone who has aspects of their life they're not prepared to submit to God's judgement. However realistically, we all do have such areas, so in reality I'm not all that worried about you. Being a Christian is a long-term thing. In time you may come to realize something has to change, but it may well not be in the area you're afraid of, but something else entirely.

Presumably you wouldn't be asking the question unless you had reason to think that God exists and cares about you. I'd suggest to you that the right approach is to go ahead, and to understand that you'll find out over time more about what it means. God loves both you and your partner. If he has other things in mind, it will be things that will be better. And it may well not involve your sexual relationship at all, but something else.

As to what the Bible says, you've gotten a sense of that already from the discussion here. As to direct statements, there are two classes: the OT, and Paul's letters. The exact role of the OT law for Christians is actually hotly debated, but people in this forum are likely to tell you that the OT Holiness Code doesn't apply to Christians. Certainly we ignore other aspects of it, such as the kosher rules. The classic Christian approach is that the Holiness Code was part of a specific covenant with the Jews, which doesn't apply to us. However God is still the same as in the OT, so we'd expect overlap between the OT code and what Christians should do. How to identify which things are part of those continuing principles is contentious. Personally I don't see any reason to think that homosexuality is the kind of basic moral principle that carries over from the Holiness Code to us.

Of the NT statements, I'm inclined to agree with others that Paul was thinking of homosexuality as he saw it in Greco-Roman culture, where it was part of a pattern of abuse. Although I'm not an expert in 1st Cent culture, what I know about pagan sexual practices seems to justify Paul's judgement quite well. That doesn't mean that there weren't happily partnered gay people in the 1st Cent. I'm sure there were. I also think it's going too far to think that Paul knew about gays whose sex he thought we OK, and was limiting his statements to abusive gay relationships. Reading between the lines, I don't think he imagined that there might be gays whose sex would be acceptable. At any rate, liberals take Paul's judgements as models of how to apply Jesus' teachings to real-life situations, but not necessarily direct answers for our situation.

There's a general assumption among conservatives that I'd like to correct. Views on sex in this forum are not necessarily any less restrictive than 1st Cent Jewish views. In general 20th/21st Cent America, and the more liberal Christians, have been moving in the direction of looking at the quality of relationships. We're sensitive to a whole set of issues, including imbalance of power (which limits real consent), and other types of abusive relationships. In effect we're trying to replace fixed lists of who can do what with analyses that really look at the effect on people. E.g. today many of us would say that sex between a minister and a member of the congregation is dangerous, just as between doctor and patient. The analysis behind this simply isn't present in the 1st Cent. We're also more sensitive to the different things that can lead to women and children being taken advantage of. Yet the basic principles of being concerned about abuse of the weak is present in the prophets (whose stock language always talks about support for widows and orphans) and Jesus. I think what we're doing is exactly what Jesus did in Matthew 5, which was to take many of the 10 commandments, look at their intent, and replace the legalism with an honest look at intent and likely consequences. The result for Jesus was in some ways more restrictive than the original law, and i think that is the case for our sexual principles as well. Maybe there are Christians for which anything goes, but that's not the case for the mainline, of which I'm a member.

But this is just another part of the liberal / conservative split, where we tend to look at the Bible in terms of broad goals and models of how to look at a situation, and conservative tend to look at it in terms of specific rules that apply to all times and places. I think we know enough about both Jesus and Paul to know that their approach is closer to the liberals than the conservatives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

MOD HAT

Closing this thread for review

EDIT - this thread will be staying closed. There was a large clean up but it was decided that it needed to be closed anyway

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.