Being Gay and Christian...is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So JP, if i came over to the Baptist forum and started to speak a neutral dialogue that basically challenged the way you guys thought .. what do you think would happen to me?

I would hope, as long as you were respectful and kept in mind that you are the visitor, then you would be allowed to state your opinion. If not, then that is not on you. I don't believe in separate Christianity.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Marriage has never historically been religious in nature. It's a modern concept to associate the two (in fact Martin Luther strongly opposed marriage being associated with Christianity. He deemed it a "worldly thing".) And Paul specifically says, most people do not have the gift of celibacy. Those who do not, are best to get married and satisfy their spouse instead of burning with lust. Gays can't marry who they love, they can't all be celibate, and marrying someone of the opposite sex would be a disaster since they can't satisfy their spouse. This will ultimately lead to divorce and/or adultery.

Gays have no Biblical remedy according to you fundamentalists.

We will just have to disagree. God can do anything for anyone including find the right opposite sex life mate. You are rationalizing the power of God right out of the argument. You are saying something is impossible to a limitless God.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
We will just have to disagree. God can do anything for anyone including find the right opposite sex life mate. You are rationalizing the power of God right out of the argument. You are saying something is impossible to a limitless God.
No, I'm saying God has chosen not to change anyone's orientation. How do you account for numerous gay Christians on this very board, begging God for decades to change their orientation, and him always saying No?

One poster here, who has been asking God about this issue for 30-40 years, has always been reassured by God that he has no problem with his orientation. You no doubt would claim Satan is telling him that.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence sexual orientation can be voluntarily changed.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I would hope, as long as you were respectful and kept in mind that you are the visitor, then you would be allowed to state your opinion. If not, then that is not on you. I don't believe in separate Christianity.

I tried that and people got really irritated because my bent is a bit more supernatural when interpreting than they're used to . "anything that does not come from faith (including interpretations) is sin" generally was the kicker .

that being said remember to read the statement of purpose .

http://www.christianforums.com/t7396179/

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tried that and people got really irritated because my bent is a bit more supernatural when interpreting than they're used to . "anything that does not come from faith (including interpretations) is sin" generally was the kicker .

that being said remember to read the statement of purpose .

http://www.christianforums.com/t7396179/

Don't feel left out...the same happened to me.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Liberals are not given nearly the lattitude conservatives are here. Conservatives have a liberal bashing thread on their forum, and we get banned for even telling them they are behaving in an Unchristian manner. And yet, half a dozen conservatives have hijacked this thread and attacked us, and we will be the ones punished for the subject matter.

Most liberals have been run off this forum.

Yes unfortunately I have witnessed this myself...sigh.

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
You didn't offend me, but you left out a very important part. In 1 Corinthians 6:11 after stating the long list of names for sinners, he clearly states "AND SUCH WERE SOME OF YOU"........important note WERE! while I have no problem accepting someone who struggles with any sin, as we all struggle here and there each having our own issues and short comings. when someone repents from sin and turns away from it. they reject there former ways and walk in newness. they should nolonger be called a homosexual, just as if you committed adultery and repented and would you now like to carry the tittle ______the adulterer, now if you continued in living in adultery then I guess someone could call you a christian adulterer. but what is a christian in todays standards anyway, Its really such a broad word open to the strangest interpretations
Homosexuality is an inborn trait that means nothing more than "the predisposition to be attracted to members of the same-sex". A celibate person or a person married to the opposite sex, who still is attracted to members of the same sex, is still by definition, a homosexual. Behavior does not change orientation.

Adultery is an act, not a state of being. It's also a harmful act, where as homosexuality is harmless. They are not a valid comparison.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
There is no need for you to NOT post here. Just post bearing in mind that this is a place for liberal Christians.

Hi Kiwi, how've you been?

As for your comment my friend, surely you aren't implying that liberals can't believe that same sex sex is a sin are you?

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no scientific evidence that homosexuality is an inborn trait...either.

It has not been proven conclusively...but science is getting pretty close. And if testimonial evidence means anything at all try giving Ray Boltz testmony a read. In my opinion we are past the point of the claim that no one is born that way having any credibility whatsoever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It has not been proven conclusively...but science is getting pretty close. And if testimonial evidence means anything at all try giving Ray Boltz testmony a read. In my opinion we are past the point of the claim that no one is born that way having any credibility whatsoever.

nah, it is just the hip way to believe. Listen, simple litmus test. If your beliefs are more "intune" with the way the world believes than you are not in tune with God. These two things are opposites. Always have been. The world is not getting closer and closer to perfection or to Christian morality, it is making sins of the flesh acceptable and building a real hatred for God's written word and anyone who follows it.

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nah, it is just the hip way to believe. Listen, simple litmus test. If your beliefs are more "intune" with the way the world believes than you are not in tune with God. These two things are opposites. Always have been. The world is not getting closer and closer to perfection or to Christian morality, it is making sins of the flesh acceptable and building a real hatred for God's written word and anyone who follows it.

Nah...that's just silly nonsense concerning liberal believers. In truth...we care about being honest with scripture more than we do bowing to church dogma and/or tradition.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2011
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"PRETTY CLOSE".......lol

Upvote 0

meliagaunt

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Surrey, England
✟45,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's not too difficult to find accounts of the latest research into sexual orientation on the internet. Twin studies are always interesting: I could explain why, in terms of DNA, environmental factors and so on, but that information is readily available. Briefly, by comparing identical twins with non-identical, and also comparing twins who have been separated and adopted into different families, it is possible to get some useful information about the interplay of genetics and environment.

The results from a number of recent twin studies in America, Australia, Sweden and other places suggest that genetic make-up has a significant, though not completely determining effect on sexual orientation. Other factors can include the hormones present in the womb (reception of which can differ in two identical twins in the womb). There is also evidence of differences in brain structure between heterosexual and homosexual people. So our DNA does not completely predetermine our sexual orientation, but has a strong influence on it, and other physiological factors are also highly influential, but not wholly deterministic.

Science does not answer the question, nor does it take away our freedom. I believe it would be as unnatural for my gay friends to try to be straight as for me to try to be gay. There are real questions here; questions of how we read the Bible, including difficult verses such as Leviticus 19:19 and Leviticus 19:27, or Deuteronomy 23:1 - I trust that those who quote scriptures about homosexuality are equally rigorous in sticking to those verses.

There is also the question about the love we show each other on these boards – how truly are we serving God by ridiculing each other's positions (e.g. by suggesting that liberals are in favour of paedophilia or inappropriate behavior with animals) rather than responding calmly and rationally?

Sorry for the long, dull post. God bless you all.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I dunno, what conservative Christians believe sounds suspiciously like corporate culture . what matters is whether you can love someone no matter what just like Jesus did is what matters .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I dunno, what conservative Christians believe sounds suspiciously like corporate culture . what matters is whether you can love someone no matter what just like Jesus did is what matters .

Just be careful to differentiate between loving the world and loving people...there is a difference.

Christians love the person and hate the sin. Worldly folks tend to rationalize the sin away in order to love the person.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
next question.....can I be a pedaphile and a christian........why yes you can! ......can I enjoy sex with a horse and still be a christian......yes you can.....I love it here Its so free and void of all the judgementalism.......can I be a satanist and a christian......of course you can and don't let anybody tell you different....godbless.....lets see how open minded you really are

Gee; then can I be FAT & still be a christian (afterall the body is a temple right?) or can I tell a lie & still be a christian? Can I be jugemental (judge not lest...) & still be a christian? Can I be divorced & still be a christian (God hates divorce), Can I be sick & be a christian, (faith heals right & w/o faith it is impossible...)

I don't know about you, but I believe we have ALL sinned & continue to do so..I personally am a sinner and am still a Christian. It is Christ who
had to pay the price on the cross because I could not, not didn't want to, not would not try to, but could not become perfect. Should we sin that grace abound? God Forbid. Becoming mature is a process, but I am a
Christian throughout the whole ordeal.

Reactions: jpcedotal
Upvote 0

meliagaunt

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Surrey, England
✟45,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just be careful to differentiate between loving the world and loving people...there is a difference.

Christians love the person and hate the sin. Worldly folks tend to rationalize the sin away in order to love the person.

Which only works if we agree what is sin, and what isn't. I guess prosperity gospel preachers are worldly folks who rationalise away the sin of greed. Those who condemn consensual adult homosexuality are worldly folks who rationalise away the sin of hatred. Those who believe the Bible to be verbally inerrant are worldly folks who rationalise away the sin of not using the mind God has given them.

So glad we agree. ;)

Upvote 0

meliagaunt

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Surrey, England
✟45,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gee; then can I be FAT & still be a christian (afterall the body is a temple right?) or can I tell a lie & still be a christian? Can I be jugemental (judge not lest...) & still be a christian? Can I be divorced & still be a christian (God hates divorce), Can I be sick & be a christian, (faith heals right & w/o faith it is impossible...)

I don't know about you, but I believe we have ALL sinned & continue to do so..I personally am a sinner and am still a Christian. It is Christ who
had to pay the price on the cross because I could not, not didn't want to, not would not try to, but could not become perfect. Should we sin that grace abound? God Forbid. Becoming mature is a process, but I am a
Christian throughout the whole ordeal.

Excellent! Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

ghendricks63

Feb 25, 2011
✟1,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NO DOUBT! somtimes simply posting scripture on this board alone can make all hell break out, since when can the straight forward reading of scripture be so offensive to those who claim to follow Jesus?

Sometimes simply defending correct understand of scripture on this board alone can make all hell break out. Since when can the straight forward search for scriptural understanding be so offensive to those who claim to follow Jesus?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.