Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do people believe we can't have any diversity in our friendships? Is there that much fear that we can be easily swayed in another direction.....or is it that we can't trust our friends to respect our own choices?

Because people have not been taught correctly.

Exactly what does this next passage apply to?

A. In everything then,
B. do unto others
C. as you would have them do unto you.
D. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We are told to "love your neighbor as yourself". There are no other additions to that simple and direct command. To say that we associate with others for the express purpose that the sick need a physician is nonsense. Also, to say that love that does not lead to Christ and salvation is just Hollywood false love is ridiculous.

Nah, you gotta quote the entire verse, and the surrounding sentences.

Matthew 22:36
36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Love God, all the other things will come. Becauseeee if you know God, you will know how to love, for God is love :) (1 John 4:7-12)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we can't rely on the church to be faithful in demonstrating God's love....then where can we? This isn't an isolated case that doesn't happen very often....domestic abuse is an epidemic in Protestant Evangelical churches.

Therein is the problem.. That entity the person was failed by..is not Gods called out ones .it was all together something else.
No where but no where are we told to put trust in or have faith in an organised gathering of men.but in Christ only.walking in obedience to his holy spirit.themwuestions like this thread need not arise .
When people are falsly taught to submit to a Sunday club they trust in that club for their need in time of trouble and are correctly dissapointed.

G Mueller could ran an orphanage for 2000 children without ever soliciting man for a single need but God alone.and God provided.
Such trust I long to learn.
But the point is in whom we trust.in whom is our confidence.
Because when we truly trust and obey The Spirit of God then we will be in the correct association with peoples at the correct times .like Jesus was.

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

JRichard68

There is too much butter on those trays
May 28, 2017
Vancouver
✟32,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
No....you misunderstood what she said. She said Christianity is a HUGE part of her life...part of her identity...her purpose....and where she finds meaning and direction in her life. She'd always thought that her life-partner should also be Christian--but that's what she put aside. Once they met and talked they realized they shared a lot in their values, beliefs, and practices (2 minutes in - 4:45).

To make it easier....here's the video again:
What it seems (and yes, I watched the video) is that as Christianity is a huge part of her life, identity, and purpose, so are other faith practices. That seems to be what she's found in relating to Reza. And as they've both explored more, it seems that they've found these same value systems in other faith systems ("wells", as they put it) and seem fine in "drawing" and "drinking" from these wells under the principles of "breadth" and "depth".
But, since everything is relative, why be dogmatic and cause a kerfuffle?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are told to "love your neighbor as yourself". There are no other additions to that simple and direct command. To say that we associate with others for the express purpose that the sick need a physician is nonsense. Also, to say that love that does not lead to Christ and salvation is just Hollywood false love is ridiculous.
If we are not associating with them with a goal to their eternal salvation then we care not even remotely loving them as we love ourselves.
How can you say you love them as self when you desire self to be saved.

Please don't imply it is non sense.
The sick refers to the sick from sin .

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ 38“This is the great and foremost commandment. 39“The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ 40“On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Love God, all the other things will come. Becauseeee if you know God, you will know how to love, for God is love :) (1 John 4:7-12)
I suppose that's the issue---the disparity between what people believe is meant by loving others. However....I think the key is in the "as yourself" part. I treat others as I like to be treated (or try, anyway). You are adding in "We associate for the express purpose that the sick need a physician". Personally....I don't view my friends as "sick". They demonstrate these qualities (sound familiar?): love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

>>>>> So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.~Matthew 7:12

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I suppose that's the issue---the disparity between what people believe is meant by loving others. However....I think the key is in the "as yourself" part. You are adding in "We associate for the express purpose that the sick need a physician". Personally....I don't view my friends as "sick". They demonstrate these qualities (sound familiar?): love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Love God! The key is to love God! First command! Stop cherry picking!

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why are we brushing off the scriptures?!?!?!?
Good question--like this one (it even says, "this sums up the Law and the Prophets". You can get any simpler than that):

>>>>So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.~Matthew 7:12

ETA these as well:
Luke 18:9-11~
And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt..."Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. "The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.

1 John 1:8
If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Nice preachin' but it has nothing to do with the post's subject, which is "being friends with those with other beliefs".

Why not include more? "Now when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they assembled together. And one of them, an expert in religious law, asked him a question to test him:“Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

While the Pharisees were assembled, Jesus asked them a question: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose son is he?” They said, “The son of David.” He said to them, “How then does David by the Spirit call him ‘Lord,’ saying,

The Lord said to my lord,
Sit at my right hand,
until I put your enemies under your feet”’?"

or for that matter, why not quote the entire Gospel of Matthew or the entire New Testament or the entire Bible?

Again, the relevant command to this thread is "love your neighbor as yourself".

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Again, the relevant command to this thread is "love your neighbor as yourself".
Exactly---and another relevant passage is the parable of the Good Samaritan (which was Jesus' answer to "who is my neighbor"---pointing out that those they have contempt for --the Samaritans-- was the 'righteous' hero in the story (and the religious priest and Levites were the antagonist of the parable).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A
I suppose that's the issue---the disparity between what people believe is meant by loving others. However....I think the key is in the "as yourself" part. I treat others as I like to be treated (or try, anyway). You are adding in "We associate for the express purpose that the sick need a physician". Personally....I don't view my friends as "sick". They demonstrate these qualities (sound familiar?): love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

>>>>> So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.~Matthew 7:12
Again ..the sick refers to sinners who knew they were sinners.
As opposed to the self rightous.
Thus it stands..if we do not associate with the goal of thier salvation ..we do not have the slightest love for them at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thus it stands..if we do not associate with the goal of thier salvation ..we do not have the slightest love for them at all.
I don't think different theology is "sinners who knew they were sinners" (and we're doing the judging of who is sick?)--that just seems pretty narcissistic to me.

Salvation --I believe--is God's business.....I'm just here to be "His light"....His "hands and feet".

Do we even have a different understanding of what "self-righteous" is? Because I categorize the self-righteous in the group of "sinners"...not opposed to "sinners who know they're sinning".

Can you show me where in the Bible you get the idea that our "goal" for loving others is to coerce them into believing just as we do? And that we are to drop all ties to someone if they don't "grab onto" what we believe (because when that question came up and Peter answered as recorded in the NT---he seemed to advise differently)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No where but no where are we told to put trust in or have faith in an organised gathering of men.but in Christ only.walking in obedience to his holy spirit.themwuestions like this thread need not arise .
When people are falsly taught to submit to a Sunday club they trust in that club for their need in time of trouble and are correctly dissapointed.

G Mueller could ran an orphanage for 2000 children without ever soliciting man for a single need but God alone.and God provided.
So....it seems you're suggesting that my friend wasn't obedient to God or else she wouldn't have been left high and dry and without food that Thanksgiving?

I'm familiar with Mueller's story....and it's nice...but, as I understand it, he DID receive donations (of food and money).......it's just that they weren't asked for. If he didn't get those donations, those children would have starved. God doesn't drop milk and money from the sky (even if we have the story of manna coming from the sky in the Bible). My beliefs of provision on the idea that "God will provide for your needs alone" was tossed a long time ago when seeing a lot of suffering in this world (that fell on very faithful people). That's another way to drive people away from God (IMO). I know quite a few people that are Atheists due to that line of thought. I'm hoping you never have to put that belief to its test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JRichard68

There is too much butter on those trays
May 28, 2017
Vancouver
✟32,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced

Demonstrating certain qualities or values is fine, but I think you're drawing a tenuous line to not view those demonstrating these "good qualities" as sick. The Atheist and Agnostic can demonstrate these qualities much better than me (and some do, to my shame) but good qualities don't erase the stain of sin, sickness, and death.
Does that mean I don't associate with them? There have been a few I've intentionally cut off, but because of harm that was done to the relationship, not merely because of their religious "status". But I don't view myself on the same spiritual ground, and (when they are honest with me) they don't either. This has led to some of the most productive conversations I've had with some of them, when all the cards are out on the table and the focus is not so much on the differences, but what we have in common. However, we all know that the differences exist. They aren't swept under the rug in an effort to "get along"

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Nice preachin' but it has nothing to do with the post's subject, which is "being friends with those with other beliefs".

Because I've already answered that several times to the person in another forum with scriptures. So I decided to only address her video since it was the only new thing. Again, I feel like I'm addressing it so much, that I'm questioning why I was brought to this conversation in the first place.Literally, I was brought to this thread.

I'll just say this. When you hang with people long enough, your faith is compromised. Putting yourself in a situation that it's possible to is never wise. (Proverbs 12:26)

If people want to play with that notion, fine. But this is what the Word responded about it. It's either you agree with it, or not.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A

It doesn't say that in the Bible.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because I've already answered that several times to the person in another forum with scriptures. So I decided to only address her video since it was the only new thing. Again, I feel like I'm addressing it so much, that I'm questioning why I was brought to this conversation in the first place.Literally, I was brought to this thread.

I'll just say this. When you hang with people long enough, your faith is compromised. Putting yourself in a situation that it's possible to is never wise. (Proverbs 12:26)

If people want to play with that notion, fine. But this is what the Word responded about it. It's either you agree with it, or not.

Not. There is no need for judgment if you are a Christian. There is no guilt by association. I consider the words and actions of Jesus Christ more relevant than one verse in Proverbs. He ate with the worst sinners and spent virtually all his time with ordinary people without judging them.

What are you afraid of? Is your faith so weak?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So....it seems you're suggesting that my friend wasn't obedient to God or else she wouldn't have been left high and dry and without food that Thanksgiving?

I'm familiar with Mueller's story....and it's nice...but, as I understand it, he DID receive donations (of food and money).......it's just that they weren't asked for. If he didn't get those donations, those children would have starved. My beliefs of provision on the idea that "God will provide for your needs alone" was tossed a long time ago when seeing a lot of suffering in this world (that fell on very faithful people). That's another way to drive people away from God (IMO). I know quite a few people that are Atheists due to that line of thought. I'm hoping you never have to put that belief to its test.
It's Matthew ch 6.
It's faith excercised in Jesus.
Every believer will be tested in it.
There are those that hold to his promises and there are those that do not enter in due to unbelief.
There are those who say they trusted his provisions and did not recieve.but you find on further investigation it was not His kingdom they sought firstly but thier own .and the qualification is seek first HIS kingdom and all these things will be added.
Not seek ones own desires.

Of the millions that crossed the red sea ..a mere TWO entered the promises .the rest perished through unbelief.
That is how serious this problem is.

Your friend did what she has been discipled to do by the system.and it failed her. So the false teachers hold equal blame. But at the same time ..she owned a bible yes?
You see we are prone to taking the easier road .and then wonder why we find ourselves in a bog.
We can't blame God for that.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0