Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But who's getting the credit for it?
Let's keep it to the topic---which is how it interferes in a friendship (in your opinion). We can't really manage other's perceptions.....correct? Does a person stating "credit goes to God" mean that others will believe that? Will that change the belief of an Atheist (just the claim, I mean)? Or.....is it more important to be true to your values and be consistent there?

Why do you believe that's a relevant question? What are you wanting her to change? Do you want her to make sure she claims, "credit goes to God".....or do you wish for her to have not married outside her labeled faith system? What if she'd married Reza when he was in college and identified as Christian and still later identified more with the Muslim metaphors? Would that make a difference to you?

Upvote 0

RogerRoger

Jun 21, 2017
Halifax
✟10,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is how I look at it.

2. If you aren't yet strong in Lord or really in the lord or you are strong but you feel a friend tugging you the other way you've got to cut them off. Even in some cases maybe they aren't tugging you but they are just...so far gone maybe just can't hang out with them at the moment.

Can I ask why you think we have to cut them off? To me if there is a tension like that in a friendship, surely we can talk about it honestly. My problem with these discussions is that they often discount the possibility of open and honest discussion, as well as understanding. My non-christian friends know my beliefs and respect them, even if they disagree. If I have ever been uncomfortable with anything I have said so, and they have respected that. And if there is something where they can't really compromise, then that's something that probably can't be part of the friendship. I have been able to minister and share my testimony to friends in this way far more than I have reached strangers.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can I ask why you think we have to cut them off? To me if there is a tension like that in a friendship, surely we can talk about it honestly. My problem with these discussions is that they often discount the possibility of open and honest discussion, as well as understanding. My non-christian friends know my beliefs and respect them, even if they disagree. If I have ever been uncomfortable with anything I have said so, and they have respected that. And if there is something where they can't really compromise, then that's something that probably can't be part of the friendship. I have been able to minister and share my testimony to friends in this way far more than I have reached strangers.

I explain that with my 2nd point. If you feel you are being influenced (and I mean in the spiritual/religion sense) by someone then you are influencing them then you have to cut them off and pray someone who is strong enough can reach them.

Again I agree with you.. i've been able to deal with atheist/non believing friends and convert them...but you hear stories about some who weren't strong enough, or praying enough or whatever...and they themselves end up being thrown into the crazy party life or this or that.

The bible says to examine ourselves, if you aren't right with God or just not strong enough yet spiritually (maybe just got saved) then maybe certain people you know will tug on you more so then you them right now and you have to leave them for a bit or maybe just permanently. This isn't something I recommend doing right away..I agree the goal is to reach sinners but if you find yourself....being tugged towards sin or whatever they have.. then you just gotta let go.

The bible says to "save yourself" your own salvation is a priority, if the cost to try and reach someone is your own salvation it's not worth it is all i'm saying. Leave that person for someone else who God can use or maybe God will end up sending you back to that person once you're ready.

Or for all you know that person is in reprobate status... where they are too far gone, after all some end up in hell, some in the bible ignore the gospel for life.

It's important christians just stay in tune with the Spirit and know when God wants them to reach this person and do this or that, it helps a lot. It helps a lot also to ensure one is living for Christ daily and laying aside every weight and sin that would keep them from being able to overcome sinful influences in other people.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's keep it to the topic---which is how it interferes in a friendship (in your opinion). We can't really manage other's perceptions.....correct? Does a person stating "credit goes to God" mean that others will believe that? Will that change the belief of an Atheist (just the claim, I mean)? Or.....is it more important to be true to your values and be consistent there?

Why do you believe that's a relevant question? What are you wanting her to change? Do you want her to make sure she claims, "credit goes to God".....or do you wish for her to have not married outside her labeled faith system? What if she'd married Reza when he was in college and identified as Christian and still later identified more with the Muslim metaphors? Would that make a difference to you?

What with all these scenarios and questions about my wants? I already gave scriptures addressing the friendship. You brought up this post for further discussion. I watched the video I was tagged to, I gave my response alongside scriptures. These are things discussed in the scriptures.Whatever personal feelings I have about anyone doesn't and shouldn't matter. Because all that matters is the Word.So far, I've heard questions and disputes about the topic, I've heard questions and disputes about how I feel about it, but I haven't heard that the scripture is wrong.

I ask about the credit going to God, because that is what should be made evident in this TED talk.She said she's a Christian, so yeah naturally I would expect a Christian to talk about Christ and giving credit to God in all things.That's the point of being a Christian, that you believe that Jesus is the only way (John 14:6) and that you are to spread the gospel and make disciples (Mathew 28:19-20).She said that she put christianity aside for a better chance of a relationship in the video. She didn't see it the need for it. She didn't mention God when it came to marriage or what the Word said. She doesn't even bring up involving the Word, or praying to God, when she discussed the weekly devotions she called "home church". So yeah, I asked if credit is going to God? Because if not, she's a humanitarian, don't need to identify with Christ or any faith to be a good humanitarian.

I can't make anyone believe anything, i don't have that power. And I can't make them believe anything through my computer screen lol! But I can only know them by their fruits (Matthew 7:16-20).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think he's referring to people who you know are influencing you away from the faith. And I've had friends that just... were that kind of influence on me at a weaker time in my walk. I totally agree with getting away from people who you KNOW make you more worldly and sinful, and especially with new christians it can be a real issue.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was brought up in another thread and I didn't want to derail it---but did want to discuss that more.

In this thread: Reconnecting with old friend... but he is a ''homosexual Christian''

I had posted how I'm friends with people that have other beliefs (one of my closest friends for over 20 years is Muslim, for one example). We don't try to change each other....or convince one another that one belief is "right" and that the other is "wrong"--that's personal. We know where each comes from.....and we are even able to talk about things about our faith that we agree on. That friend of mine also has a close Jewish friend that she grew up with and is still in close contact with. The three of us have had beautiful discussions about the love of God....and the intersections of the Torah, the Old Testament, and the Quran. We don't let our different religious language divide us. Our friendship is a lot like this couple's relationship--that led to their marriage:

@Mskriskris responded to my post about having friends with other beliefs in this way:

and

....which is what we're doing, but for some reason it seems that's not believed to be possible while still within relationship with them (is how I'm understanding that). Because when I asked why there's an assumption that I'm NOT following that....not having the love of God enhance our relationship...the response was:

....so it seems then there was advice given that's not believed to be possible---or else it wouldn't be assumed I *wasn't* following that advice already.

Why do people believe we can't have any diversity in our friendships? Is there that much fear that we can be easily swayed in another direction.....or is it that we can't trust our friends to respect our own choices?
There is no such thing as a homosesexual Christian.
Just as there is no such thing as a murderer Christian.
When a person is born again they are “a new creation in Christ”
So if they are still the old...then they are not born again .

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There is no such thing as a homosesexual Christian.
Just as there is no such thing as a murderer Christian.

Amen! Gotta just pray for each other, because that process ain't easy. The world is too yummy, relationships are too delicious, and the friendships are to die for. Man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I ask about the credit going to God, because that is what should be made evident in this TED talk.She said she's a Christian, so yeah naturally I would expect a Christian to talk about Christ and giving credit to God in all things.That's the point of being a Christian, that you believe that Jesus is the only way (John 14:6) and that you are to spread the gospel and make disciples (Mathew 28:19-20).She said that she put christianity aside for a better chance of a relationship in the video. She didn't see it the need for it.
No....you misunderstood what she said. She said Christianity is a HUGE part of her life...part of her identity...her purpose....and where she finds meaning and direction in her life. She'd always thought that her life-partner should also be Christian--but that's what she put aside. Once they met and talked they realized they shared a lot in their values, beliefs, and practices (2 minutes in - 4:45).

To make it easier....here's the video again:

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with having friends of different beliefs. But we need to know and understand something. Friends or not.. best friends.. spouse.. family. Yeshua/Jesus is THE ONLY WAY IN.. we MUST understand this. Our FEELINGS have no say in this. Like the song playing right now "the cross has the finial word".. amen.

So.. WE might be the ONLY LIGHT someone sees. With out Christ.. no ONE gets in. He is the only door to the Father. Unless one is blind.. never hearing the truth.. of that I cant speak for our Father :)...so SHINE..show ALL what they DONT have.. YESHUA IS REAL! You are with them for a reason :)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a great description of what it sounds like to me as well. That doesn't seem to be "loving others" to me....it's more like, "drop the bomb of 'right' theology"--and run. How is that relational?

Yeah.....I have a difficulty with considering my friends "heathens" just because they are Muslim and Jewish. Their ideas about love and how we should treat others are far superior to people I used to be surrounded with at our former church (including a lot of those in "leadership"). I'll even give an example....for the sake of illustration.

A friend of mine there had poured herself into serving at that church. She spent so many hours (unpaid) in organizing events....being a table leader at Bible study each week....an usher/greeter each weekend.....and was available to lend a hand in just about every capacity. This went on for decades. No one knew she was enduring an abusive marriage for that entire time. Then....one Thanksgiving...her husband left her and their children to visit his family. He removed her from their credit cards and emptied their bank accounts (she found this out while at the grocery store buying food for their Thanksgiving meal). She called the pastor (which was very humiliating and difficult to do)....but she asked if they could help her with food for Thanksgiving so her children weren't deprived. The answer (which was delivered via the church secretary as the pastor was "too busy")? "You need to work these things out with your husband". So....that was two friends of hers that were aware of her situation. They ate cereal for Thanksgiving dinner, because she was too humiliated to ask anyone else. Personally.....that's the sort of influence I could do without. Those are the people I can't associate with. Holding to the "right" theology is NOT what "pleases God" (IMO).
In the scenario you describe here..one its shows the mutilated state of the man made system you refer to as “church“ .
2nd. It is a perfect example of the first analogy of the unbridled tongue in the book of James .
Sticking to the right theolog / by words only. Flapping the tongue in the wind with no action to back it up.such religion is vain.faithless loveless .

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the scenario you describe here..one its shows the mutilated state of the man made system you refer to as “church“ .
2nd. It is a perfect example of the first analogy of the unbridled tongue in the book of James .
Sticking to the right theology / by words only. Flapping the tongue in the wind with no action to back it up.such religion is vain.faithless loveless .
If we can't rely on the church to be faithful in demonstrating God's love....then where can we? This isn't an isolated case that doesn't happen very often....domestic abuse is an epidemic in Protestant Evangelical churches.

That's all something to keep in mind when reading quotes like this from Thomas Merton:

20708400_10213780774104705_4631663961621083197_n.jpg

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The only way this has anything to do with my OP is in wondering about people that don't claim to be "born again" --like my Muslim and Jewish friends---but are compassionate and caring towards others.....offering grace and forgiveness in friendship.....and adding a lot of value to my life and my family's life. How does their friendship cripple me in any way (those that seem to want to distance from such "heathens")? What about sin of self-righteousness....the value of humility.....aren't those values of our Christian faith any longer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So.. WE might be the ONLY LIGHT someone sees. With out Christ.. no ONE gets in. He is the only door to the Father. Unless one is blind.. never hearing the truth.. of that I cant speak for our Father :)...so SHINE..show ALL what they DONT have.. YESHUA IS REAL! You are with them for a reason
I believe in an all victorious God. The Bible says He is "making all things new"...and I believe that. I also believe my part is in being a conduit for His love (and there's not even an exclusion for our enemies).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen! Gotta just pray for each other, because that process ain't easy. The world is too yummy, relationships are too delicious, and the friendships are to die for. Man.
That process begins absolute in repentance and baptism
Wow it's amazing how many believers have skipped the foundation stone of repentance and then struggle on wondering why the house keeps calling over.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only way this has anything to do with my OP is in wondering about people that don't claim to be "born again" --like my Muslim and Jewish friends---but are compassionate and caring towards others.....offering grace and forgiveness in friendship.....and adding a lot of value to my life and my family's life. How does their friendship cripple me in any way (those that seem to want to distance from such "heathens")? What about sin of self-righteousness....the value of humility.....aren't those values of our Christian faith any longer?
We asociate for the express purpose that the sick need a physician
This is the example Jesus have us.we love .but love that does not lead to Christ and salvation is just Hollywood false love
We must be aware that such associations may (not always) discontinue and reject us due to our uncompromising stance. But we are not to reject them.but dust off the hurt it causes us and peacably move on .
(and we cannot dust off in judgment unless we bought the demonstration of the power of God along with the Gospel)
But if we remain in association with the worldly purely to be accepted by them ,unwilling to be rejected for the sake of Jesus name then we err greatly indeed. Because then we no longer influence then toward truth and life but they influence us .
There is never a middle ground.light consumes dark ..or light is made absent.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That process begins absolute in repentance and baptism
Wow it's amazing how many believers have skipped the foundation stone of repentance and then struggle on wondering why the house keeps calling over.

We can really fight hard to win a point. Even if that means brushing over what God tells us. We are really stubborn kids eh? haha

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We asociate for the express purpose that the sick need a physician
This is the example Jesus have us.we love .but love that does not lead to Christ and salvation is just Hollywood false love
We must be aware that such associations may (not always) discontinue and reject us due to our uncompromising stance. But we are not to reject them.but dust off the hurt it causes us and peacably move on .
(and we cannot dust off in judgment unless we bought the demonstration of the power of God along with the Gospel)
But if we remain in association with the worldly purely to be accepted by them ,unwilling to be rejected for the sake of Jesus name then we err greatly indeed. Because then we no longer influence then toward truth and life but they influence us .
There is never a middle ground.light consumes dark ..or light is made absent.

We are told to "love your neighbor as yourself". There are no other additions to that simple and direct command. To say that we associate with others for the express purpose that the sick need a physician is nonsense. Also, to say that love that does not lead to Christ and salvation is just Hollywood false love is ridiculous.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0