Because of 1 mans sin, we all must die?

ckim121

Sep 23, 2008
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I'm a born again christian, I love the Lord and have full faith in the Lord. However I do have a question that I think about often and was hoping that somebody could answer.

The wages of sin is death. So why would God punish EVERY human because of one man's sin, Adam?

If you have scripture that I can refer to, that would be great :)

Bellicus

Account no longer in use
Jul 11, 2008
✟10,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, Romans explain your question I think:

rom 11:31Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
32For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
33O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

The scripture is clear about that God have let everyone fall in disbelief, so that He will have mercy one everyone. But it is also clear that we can't understand much more then that. Personally I have tried, but I just have to admit that it don't make sense to me when I try to understand it. All I can do is to trust that Gods ways and thoughts are higher then mine, and that He is righteous and good.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to struggle with this. It didn't seem fair that we were all doomed because oif the failure of two people to obey one simple rule! I could have refrained from eaing that fruit! Why didn't get a chance to prove I could.

And then, while I was in labour to deliver my first child, and having very unkind thoughts about Adam and Eve, I realized that I, too would have defied God's rules. All of us would. We are unable to perfectly obey God and when we think we aren't, we haven't come face-to-face with our sinful nature.

The exciting part is that God has also provided us an escape from the fate we deserve.

Upvote 0

YoungPilgrim

Apr 9, 2004
✟7,678.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, ckim. This is a great question, and one deserving of much thought.

I've found it helpful to think about it in this way. If your parents were Israelites during the time of Egyptian slavery, what would you be when you were born? You would be a slave of course. You could argue to the Egyptians about how unfair it is that you are their slave just because your parents are slaves, but I don't think they would listen to you.

In the same way, when Adam and Eve sinned, they became slaves to sin (Romans 6:6). Parents who are slaves to sin have children who are born slaves to sin. As such, these children are predisposed to sin as soon as they are born -- even before, as David says in Psalm 51:5, "Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." It is not only that all people will choose to sin, but they are even corrupted in their hearts from their conception. This is a very hard idea to swallow, especially because little children seem so innocent in our eyes (and compared to most adults, it is easy to see why).

But if it is with great pain that we accept being born into sin through Adam, justly deserving God's wrath, it is with great joy that we accept being born again into righteousness through Christ, justly deserving God's love and perfect acceptance of us! I would even say that it is impossible to truly believe in how sinful we are, even at birth, without first seeing that God has already redeemed us. In Isaiah 44:22 God tells His people, "I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you." Notice that God does not say, "Return to me, and then I'll redeem you," but He says the opposite: "Return to me, for I have redeemed you." How beautiful is God's love for us!

Here's another way to think about this that might help. Let's say you're a parent, and you have children. Chances are that you love your children, and you want to give them all the benefits you can as a parent. You want to give them a home, food, clothing, education, and, most importantly, your love. And it is perfectly right for you to give them these things, because they are yours to give. It follows that we would think it very unfair for someone to tell you that you are not allowed to give your children these things because your children have done nothing of themselves to earn them. When it comes to original sin, then, it is not logical for us to say that children deserve to have what their parents can give them while limiting it only to good things.

My last example, and probably the most shocking, is this. People have often found just reasons to end certain people's lives. Take a mass murderer for example. We kill this individual because we say he/she deserves it. Throughout the whole Bible God has chosen to kill many people. What we often forget is that in ending one person's life, we also end any chance of their having children. In essence, because the father/mother deserves to die, we say that the children do not deserve to be born. This is not an argument against killing -- how can I call what God has done a sin? No, it is an argument for the fairness of original sin.

I hope this helped a little bit. Always keep in mind the greatness of God's love for us when thinking about the wretchedness of our sin. I love this quote by Luther: "For every one look you take at your sin, take ten looks at the cross."

Grace and peace in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

BigNorsk

Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
✟18,457.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We should be careful with our language when speaking of such things. It is not due to one man's sin we all must die, it is that due to one man's sin, we all died. Mankind died. It's not in the future but in the past.

Just like all died with Adam, many are brought to life with Christ.

The death through Adam is not some future event. And it's not where we have some blemish that causes us to fall individually. No, we are born dead.

It's important because those who say it's just a blemish then treat salvation the same way. That we receive a spark that allows us to earn our salvation.

Much of this we don't really understand. We don't for instance really truly no why Christ dieing for us on the cross was the only way, just we see Jesus' prayer that if possible the cup should pass from him. It's evident it wasn't possible.

If God had not made things such that when Adam sinned, we all died. Then it seems most likely to me that when we sinned, and we would have certainly sinned, then there would have been no way to save us. It might appear to be unfair that we all died with Adam, but I believe we all would have died individually anyway.

Marv

Upvote 0

Maranatha27

Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
✟16,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dr. H. A. Ironside on this subject, contained in his exposition of Colossians pg. 106

God created man, we are told, "in His own image, after His own likeness, male and female created He them, and called their name Adam in the day they were created" (Gen 5:2). Physically perfect, they were morally innocent, and spiritually like unto God, who is a Spirit and the Father of spirits. But in the very next verse we read, "Adam begat a son in his own likeness after his image" (Gen 5:3). This was after sin had defiled his nature and posioned the springs of life; and all his children now bear this fallen image and likeness.

Hence the need of regeneration, and so our Lord said to Nicodemus, "That what is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." He is not merley saying that which is born of the physical body is a physical body, but that personality which comes into the world through natural generation and birth is one with the fallen nature that Adam acquired when he fell . This is called distinctively, "the flesh," "the body of the flesh," "sin in the flesh'" "sin that dwelleth in us," "the carnal mind which is not subject to God, neither indeed caa be"; and is the nature of the old man-the unregenerate natural man. We are told that we were all by nature children of wrath, even as others. When converted or regenerated, this carnal nature is not altered in the slightest degree; it is never improved or sanctified, either in whole or part. In the cross of Christ God has condemned it utterlyas to vile for improvement. The believer has recieved a new nature which is spiritual, the nature of the new man; and he is now responsible to walk in obedience to the Word of God, which appeals only to his new nature. The old and new natures will remain in the believer untill the redemption of the body.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God is not punishing us. You must see that. We live in the consequences of Adam's sin (we die for example) but salvation is about a loving God who acted to rescue us from the effects of that.

But, we are just not told what transaction went on between God and Satan that resulted in such widespread darkness, only that we continue to live down line from that event until Jesus totally completes its reversal.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm a born again christian, I love the Lord and have full faith in the Lord. However I do have a question that I think about often and was hoping that somebody could answer.
I don't believe that our Father punishes everyone who is born. But that He punishes the person who sins so that the sinner repents.

The wages of sin is death. So why would God punish EVERY human because of one man's sin, Adam?
^_^ That's only HALF the verse, the other half says;

But the gift of God is Eternal Life in Christ Jesus! :D

If you have scripture that I can refer to, that would be great :)
Here is a TONN of Scriptural referrance. :angel:

http://www.gospeltruth.net/OS100bibleverses.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums