Visit site
✟1,357,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.
“For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. But what fruit were you getting at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:17-23 ESV)

Now, these words are being addressed to those who were once slaves to sin, meaning that they are no longer living in slavery (addiction, bondage) to sin. Sin is no longer their practice, but now righteousness and obedience to the Lord and to his New Covenant commands are their practice. Now they are slaves of righteousness. And the standard of teaching to which they are committed is what Jesus taught and what his NT apostles taught, which is not what is predominantly being taught in America today.

Yet, we are still human beings living in flesh bodies in a fallen world with all sorts of evils and temptations everywhere you look, pretty much. And so many people today are teaching a diluted, altered, and corrupted gospel message, which also corrupts the grace of God. And so even those who have been walking faithfully to the Lord in obedience to him may be tempted to be drawn into false teachings which may make no (or little) demands for holy living and for walks of obedience to our Lord’s commands.

And so the truth of the gospel is being reinforced here. Just as once we presented our members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, leading to more lawlessness, we are now to present our members (bodies, minds, hearts, souls) as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification. For Jesus died on that cross so that we would be crucified with him in death to sin and raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer to live as slaves to sin but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness.

For when we were slaves of sin, we were free in regard to righteousness. Do you understand what that is saying? We cannot be slaves to sin and to righteousness at the same time. It is one or the other. Either sin is our practice, and what we obey, in practice, or righteousness and obedience to our Lord are what we practice. So we are not righteous in the sight of God if we are still slaves to sin. The two don’t mix. And this doesn’t mean we are perfect and that we never fail, but that sin is no longer our practice.

And then really pay close attention to verses 21-23, for many people are teaching Romans 6:23 out of context, and they are making it say what it does not say, if taught properly in context. For the free gift of God is not given to those who are still walking in sin. For God’s gift of grace to us is not freedom to keep walking in sin, only now without having to feel guilty. For what does this say? If we are still living as slaves (addicted) to sin, the end of those things is death, not life eternal with God.

But now that we have, IF we have, been set free from our slavery to sin, and we have, IF we have, become slaves of God, the fruit that we get leads to sanctification (holiness), and its end is eternal life with God. So when this says that the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord, we have to read that verse in the context of the whole of Romans 6, and in particular in the context of verses 21-23 which makes it very clear what it all means. If sin is our practice, it will lead to death.

So, we don’t just pray a prayer or confess belief in Jesus Christ and now all our sins are forgiven (past, present, and future), and so now we have heaven guaranteed us when we die, and it can’t be taken away from us, but regardless of how we live. For the free gift of God’s grace instructs us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions (lust), and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For God’s grace frees us from our slavery to sin so we now become slaves of righteousness.

So the free gift of God, although we do nothing to earn or to deserve it in our own flesh, is not without cost. It is not without rules and regulations which we must follow. For the gift is deliverance from our slavery (addiction) to sin, and it is empowerment of God’s Spirit to now live in moral purity, honesty, integrity, faithfulness, and in obedience to our Lord’s commands (New Covenant). The gift is not freedom to keep living in sin while claiming Jesus as Lord and heaven as our eternal destiny. So please see this!

[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-24; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; Titus 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Just a Closer Walk with Thee

Hymn lyrics by Anonymous/Unknown
Music by American Melody

“For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we will live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you” (2 Co. 13:4 NASB).

I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more;
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

Caution: This link may contain ads

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus became a divine life imparting Spirit to join with us deep within.
We are "joined to the Lord" as "one spirit". This gift of life we must fan into flame that it burns brightly in us.

For which cause I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. (2 Tim. 1:6)

The flame of our union with the Lord within is like a flame we must provide with oxygen to flare up.
Calling on the Lord's name - "O Lord Jesus! Lord Jesus. O Lord Jesus!!" is one way to fire up our touch with Jesus.
He is RICH to all who CALL upon Him.
. . . for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him; (Rom. 10:12b)

He is not only rich the initial time we call on Him to be saved.
He continues to be rich every time we call on Him.
By calling on the name of the Lord we stir up the gift of God to burn within us.

Do not worry and say "But the Apostle Paul didn't lay his hands on me."
That "laying on of my hands" mostly means identification.
We who have association with this godly man through his letters.

We also need to be "nourished with the words of the faith."
. . . being nourished with the words of the faith (1 Tim. 4:6b)

We not only need to be TAUGHT the teaching. We need to FEED and be NOURISHED with the words of the faith.
We need not only to teach the mind. Knowledge alone can merely puff us up.
We need to take the words of the Bible as nourishing food - masticating the word with musing, prayer, and mixing it with faith.

This mixing the very words of the Bible with prayer in faith is another way to fan into flame the fire burning within.

Calling "O Lord Jesus. "O Lord Jesus, Lord Jesus!" or calling "Abba Father. Abba Father! I love You Abba,"
are two practical ways to fan into flame the gift of God within us.
And taking in the word of God as hourishing food for the inner man not just mental teaching all the time, is another
way to fan into flame the gift of life - divine life.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Jesus Himself is the resurrection power. And in Him is the terminating power to put to death
the practices of the body.

We have to touch the Lord Himself in our innermost spiritual being to tap into His grace.
We have to be strengthened into that realm. This was Paul's prayer for us.

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father, . . .
That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory,
to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man, (Eph. 4:14,16)

There in our regenerated spirit - our inner man we are "organically" JOINED to the Lord Jesus.
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. (1 Cor. 6 :17)

Where is the power to be slaves of righteousness?
It is in being strengthened into the inner man, our burning spirit.

Where is the killing power to terminated the old man?
It too is in being stengthend INTO our inner man and faning into flame the gift of God's life within us.

All the ability is experienced by setting the mind on the spirit where the Spirit of Christ lives.
Christ is so subjective. We have to take Him as everything we need.

The Lord is with our innermost praying organ our spirit.
Part of our being is Christ Himself because in life He has JOINED Himself with us.
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. (1 Cor. 6 :17)

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is the Christ WITHIN as well as the Christ at the right hand of God in heaven.
Here we see He is both places.

Christ within:
But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. But if Christ is in you, . . . (Rom. 8:9,10a)

Christ in heaven:
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ Jesus who died and, rather, who was raised,
who is also at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. (Rom. 8:34)

Like the circulating of electricity is Jesus Christ. The electricity is both in the power plant and in the light bulb a hundred miles away.
There is a traffic flowing between the two places. The Christ at the right hand of God is also the Christ living within.

He is the Spirit of God. He is the Spirit of Christ. He of course is Christ Himself.
And He is JOINED to us as one spirit. So Paul encourages us to live by our true identity.

And those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him.

But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness.
And if the Spirit of the One who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you,

He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you. (Rom. 8:8-11)

Call on the name of the Lord. Fan into flame the gift of life within.
Be stengthened into that realm where your praying spirit brings your whole mind into the presence of God.

Upvote 0