✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do any of those cause cancer?

There are already laws about using tanning beds, as you admitted yourself, so I don't see the problem in extending that law.

This is so boring.

Hetta,

Do you know what the biggest health problem is in the United States today? It is obesity and obesity leads to a myriad of health problems. Cancer is a specific disease, Obesity can lead to a number of other diseases, which is why it is such a huge problem.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hetta said:
I would hope that no parents would be stupid enough to give their children permission to use tanning salons, but as apparently they are that stupid, then there should be some guideline in place, just as there are guidelines about smoking - which is another source of cancer.
Well most parents probably do have a problem with say their five year old using a tanning bed, but many feel that a young teenage girl say preparing for her prom 16 or 17 years old is different.

I dunno...I wouldn't want my date to look like Snooki.

Maynard Keenan said:
Tanning beds, though, are incredibly concentrated compared to simple sunbathing. A 10-minute session in a bed can cause a skin damaging sunburn.
I know this to be true. I used to be addicted to tanning. Not only is it a costly habit, it ruins your skin and it ages you rapidly.

Your pic indicates recovery. :)

I suppose the differences between driving/tanning and cigarettes/ alcohol is that the latter are potentially addictive, and could harm brain development. It's craaaaaaaazy not being able to drink in the US till 21 though. I don't see how that is based on anything other than controlling other adults.

I certainly didn't suffer from it.

Hetta said:
Do any of those cause cancer?

There are already laws about using tanning beds, as you admitted yourself, so I don't see the problem in extending that law.

This is so boring.
Hetta,

Do you know what the biggest health problem is in the United States today? It is obesity and obesity leads to a myriad of health problems. Cancer is a specific disease, Obesity can lead to a number of other diseases, which is why it is such a huge problem.

Then make a new thread.

Upvote 0

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nice catch. :thumbsup: The hypocrisy is breathtaking. Somehow the state that cant prohibit 16 year olds from having an abortion can prohibit them from using a tanning bed. Hopefully one of them will explain this sort of absurd reasoning, but I wont hold my breath.
I'm sure you know this, but that kind of thing is pretty common around here. A few months ago I was told prostitution should be legal and it won't dehumanize women, but then I'm told polygamous people shouldn't be allowed a marriage license because polygamy treats women as lesser than men. :doh:

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't find it needless to try to save children's skin from cancer.

..but you don't seem to have the same affinity for/opinion of trying to save a 15 year old girl from the complications that can be associated with an abortion during puberty?

Anyone having a surgical or chemical abortion may face complications such as perforation, scarring, hemorrhaging, infection,
higher risks of future infertility,miscarriages, ectopic pregnancy,and premature birth of future children.

...right from the CDC.​

You say "apples and oranges"...yes, we know, as a process itself, they're two different things...however, the reason we're having this discussion is because of the potential health impacts an activity could have on a minor, so in that sense, it's not "apples and oranges", it's the same thing...that thing being "Does the government have the right to restrict the activity of a 15-16 year old based on a health complication that might happen?"​

Saying Yes to one, and No to the other is being inconsistent.​

There's only 3 intellectually consistent positions to have on this one​

A) A person has right to their own body and can do whatever they'd like to it (with parental consent if they're under 18)​

B) Same as A, but regardless of age, no consent needed​

C) The government has the right to "save you from yourself"

Gotta pick one of those three...​

You can't just pick a little of A and a little of B when it's convenient for your political stance. Our legislators doing that very thing (self-contradicting) is why we have so many screwed up laws in this nation...​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think tanning beds are more bad than good, but it is none of my business what someone else lets their child do as long as they are aware of the dangers.

I would say, ban all people under 18 from using tanning beds except in the case that they have parental consent, and make the parents fill out a form showing their consent and informing them on the potential dangers and risks of using tanning beds.

One needs information to make informed decisions, after all.

Upvote 0