Baltimore falls victim to ransomware

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baltimore became RobbinHood’s second apparent victim, knocking email and payment systems offline and grinding the city’s real estate market to a halt.

Because the strain is new, it can slip past anti-virus tools and relies on hackers gaining what one security researcher called “unfettered access” to a victim’s system days or perhaps even weeks in advance.

“This is a targeted ransomware,” said researcher Vitali Kremez, who has cracked RobbinHood open and studied its workings. “They knew who they were asking to extort.”

Analysis of ransomware used in Baltimore attack indicates hackers needed 'unfettered access' to city computers

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baltimore became RobbinHood’s second apparent victim, knocking email and payment systems offline and grinding the city’s real estate market to a halt.

Because the strain is new, it can slip past anti-virus tools and relies on hackers gaining what one security researcher called “unfettered access” to a victim’s system days or perhaps even weeks in advance.

“This is a targeted ransomware,” said researcher Vitali Kremez, who has cracked RobbinHood open and studied its workings. “They knew who they were asking to extort.”

Analysis of ransomware used in Baltimore attack indicates hackers needed 'unfettered access' to city computers
I had a ransomware attach about 3 years ago.
Had to get a new computer....of course I didn't pay because I'm a private person and I didn't care that all my stuff was gone. I mean, I cared, but I wasn't going to pay. They asked $400.

It felt terrible...like my home had been broken into.
I keep my computer shut now as much as possible, but it used to be nice to have it on and ready all the time.

I had read up on this back then and I found that it cannot be avoided....

For every good thing, there's a bad.
It's just a universal law.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baltimore withstood a ground attack by British troops and bombardment from an armada of British ships, but they fell victim to hackers.

So symbolic of the state of the country.
I was hearing today (on YouTube- the new university)
that when the Roman Empire ended in the 400's..it was like being told that we could no longer fly, or no longer have access to computers. It had the same effect on persons living then.

Upvote 0