God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed. So how do you pick the 'miracles'?

If there are people today who God has given the gift of healing, I believe they would be humble people who would not sensationalize it or try to profit off of it. So probably no one well-known.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If there are people today who God has given the gift of healing, I believe they would be humble people who would not sensationalize it or try to profit off of it. So probably no one well-known.
So someone might have a supernatural gift to heal people, but it's on down low?

Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Faith is the belief in things unproven. Our salvation is based on faith in Jesus and on accepting Him as our savior. Suppose you were given the power to prove God's existence to an unbeliever. You could how them Heaven with a flourish of your hand and prove to them conclusively that God was real. Would you do it? If offering proof meant there could be no faith because the matter was proven then the unbeliever would have no road to salvation. In other words, as I've said to atheists, if I could prove God exists you would have no chance of redemption. Even if I had that proof, which God does not afford us, I could never in good conscience present it.

As it has been pointed out before, there is evidence. Evidence can lead to proof beyond reasonable doubt, but evidence is no in itself proof. I have a running challenge for any atheist to go to an aged clergyman, sit down face to face and ask them what they've seen. Miracles aren't rare. Over 25% of Americans believe they've experienced one. Nearly all if not all ministers have come face to face with evil at one point or another. You should be able to look at a person's eyes and know if they are telling you the truth. To date, though I've offered the challenge to at least a dozen people, no one has had the courage to take me up on it. They don't want to believe. They live in their own little world and things like accountability and an ultimate authority endangers that world.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I rest my case. The response about my proof, even in my own case, were just ignored, denied or made fun of. As I say, you can ignore the current proof but before God you will have all the proof you need, but it will be to late sadly and God will be like "Well, I did have people talk to you but you ignored them."

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I rest my case. The response about my proof, even in my own case, were just ignored, denied or made fun of. As I say, you can ignore the current proof but before God you will have all the proof you need, but it will be to late sadly and God will be like "Well, I did have people talk to you but you ignored them."

You have produced neither evidence nor proof. And your case was well and truly 'closed', I expect, a long time before anyone asked you for it....

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Oh I am not ignoring God, if you are talking to me. I am listening. And I am definitely calling out to him to be saved. But I fear my motivations are probably wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have produced neither evidence nor proof. And your case was well and truly 'closed', I expect, a long time before anyone asked you for it....
You seen evidence here:
Atheists Are Right About No Evidence

Theres other evidence too, like as in undeniable evidence. But like I said I'm not posting it because its obvious its waste of time as is always the case. Actually most of the evidence is online if you search for it. Its easy to find. But thats another thing people won't bother to do, they only ask for evidence but don't really care if there is evidence. Even if its online and easy to find. They are not looking to be proven wrong, but to instead just troll to drive people nuts so the debate is in a never ending circle. With that said I am out of this debate. You cannot tell God when you see Him "I didn't see evidence" because He will just state you did and chose your own fate but ignoring evidence.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
You seen evidence here:

Theres other evidence too, like as in undeniable evidence. But like I said I'm not posting it because its obvious its waste of time as is always the case. Actually most of the evidence is online if you search for it. Its easy to find. But thats another thing people won't bother to do, they only ask for evidence but don't really care if there is evidence. Even if its online and easy to find. They are not looking to be proven wrong, but to instead just troll to drive people nuts so the debate is in a never ending circle. With that said I am out of this debate. You cannot tell God when you see Him "I didn't see evidence" because He will just state you did and chose your own fate but ignoring evidence.
We do understand that you think you have it right.

• Agree
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You seen evidence here:

You are wrong. I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching this 'evidence'.

Cancers go into remission all the time; this is neither mysterious nor dependent upon prayer.

Near death experiences have been explained time and time again. Nothing strange there either.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And if we did possess the power to heal the sick, wouldn't atheists believe in God?

No.

Jesus did many healing, and even raised people for the dead. He got Himself nailed to a cross for it.

It's never a problem of lack of information. It's always a problem of the will. Man will not accept God, because he doesn't want the competition. . .

BTW, Romas 1 completely obliterates the theory in your OP.

Romans 1

Greeting

[1] Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, [2] which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, [3] concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh [4] and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, [5] through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, [6] including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,

[7] To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Longing to Go to Rome

[8] First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world. [9] For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you [10] always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. [11] For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you—[12] that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. [13] I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles. [14] I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. [15] So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

The Righteous Shall Live by Faith

[16] For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. [17] For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness

[18] For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. [19] For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. [20] For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. [21] For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. [22] Claiming to be wise, they became fools, [23] and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

[24] Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, [25] because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.

[26] For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; [27] and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

[28] And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. [29] They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, [30] slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, [31] foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. [32] Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them. (ESV)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

possibletarian

Dec 27, 2016
Peak District
✟33,311.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The atheists attitude in this debate is deplorable and uncalled for btw. If this same attitude was employed against them they would call the staff. STOP acting like animals and START acting like men. Just because your an atheist doesn't mean you need to try to act like Dawkins. This is a discussion.

Asking for evidence to astonishing claims in an ancient book is a deplorable attitude ?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The atheists attitude in this debate is deplorable and uncalled for btw. If this same attitude was employed against them they would call the staff. STOP acting like animals and START acting like men. Just because your an atheist doesn't mean you need to try to act like Dawkins. This is a discussion.

Please explain what you find deplorable...

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But one thing I notice is that the atheists are right about not having proof of the existence of God. So do we keep arguing with them? We don't have proof.

Creation and conscience are proof of God's existence. Something does not come from nothing. Atheists are wrong.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Creation and conscience are proof of God's existence.
How so?
Something does not come from nothing. Atheists are wrong.
Except hardly any atheist believes that something came from nothing. "Creatio ex nihilo" is a Christian idea.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the reasons you have given for your belief could equally be offered by a Muslim, or a Jew, or a Sikh. I imagine that they too have trust in their parents, would claim to see the 'spirit' of their god/s in others, would claim miracles in their name.

When I first read this response, it looked reasonable on the surface but I decided to do some research on the apparent claim that other religions also contain healing at the behest of their god, being filled with the spirit of their god/s (which is God Himself (monotheistic) according to Christian theology), and “fruit” of following Christ, which is not explained by in OP but Christian doctrine does explain the fruit of the Spirit in Gal. 5:22-23. Although you left the "fruit" of the Spirit out, it was one of the examples offered by the OP.

I found none of the religions that you mention would make the same claims in total that the OP describes. Islam does believe that their god can heal but does not teach anything about the Holy Spirit who is God according to Christian theology. Also, the fruit of the Spirit as outlined in Galatians is not in Islamic theology. The Jews also believe that God heals but they again do not teach that the Holy Spirit is a person or is the third person of the Trinity which is central to Christian theology and there is no teaching that God indwells the believer as outlined in the New Testament (cf. 1 Cor. 3:16; 2 Tim. 1:14). Sikhism is a panentheistic religion that does not consider God ontologically as a person but rather as a force centered on a dualistic theology. There is no teaching of being filled with God the Holy Spirit as a separate, distinct, and personal being since panentheism teaches the direct opposite. Panentheism does teach healing but not in the same context or theological definitions as Christianity. I found no teaching of “fruit” or the manifestation of those fruits as outlined in the Bible, in the life of a Sikh.

The three examples of what the OP considers as support for his belief are not shared by other religions in the same context, theology, or collectively. There are parts of what the OP presents in his examples that are present in other religions but all three of the examples are not shared in a collective sense.

Christian apologetics realizes that many religions share some of the same truths that are found in in Christianity but every other religion also contains falsehoods compared to the teachings of the Bible. If one is to parallel religions in order to show that they are the same, then the doctrines, theologies, and examples of evidence must match. If not, then it is comparing apples with oranges.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.