Washington
✟686,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Before I begin I just want to specify that I am a believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I believe someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is Lord to God's glory. I also not only believe Jesus Christ but I also believe he is God in the flesh as mention in John (you know the passage that says the word was with God and the word is God, and the word became flesh). I do not believe I am saved though. I have surrendered to Jesus but I still sin. And it seems impossible to stop sinning. But I have committed my life to Jesus. But I still don't believe I am saved. I don't know if my motivations are acceptable to God or not. And I know if I will consistently obey Christ. I tend not be consistent. My flesh sometimes takes over. But my desire is to follow Christ and to live for him.

But one thing I notice is that the atheists are right about not having proof of the existence of God. So do we keep arguing with them? We don't have proof.

Our logics are different. For example, it doesn't make sense to me to say the world began by itself, but to an atheist it may make sense.

So, why do we keep arguing with them, and why do believers keep saying there's proof?

Why do I believe? Because I believe my parents, and I believe in the Biblical history, and I saw healing occur in the name of Jesus, I saw my sister get filled with the Holy Spirit, I saw the fruit in my parents lives and I don't believe they will lie about their experiences.

But me saying that I witness these events does not prove anything to atheists. It will be like saying I saw Santa Clause going down the chimney. So why don't we believers admit you are right we don't have proof?

Isn't God's job to prove himself to the unbelieving world? Paul said that he did not use man's wisdom to preach the gospel, but he did it by the demonstration of the Holy Spirit. If God does not give us the power to heal the sick or raise the dead, or any other power like he did the apostles, then how would we prove the existence of God?

And if we did possess the power to heal the sick, wouldn't atheists believe in God?

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The bible also says we are without excuse, that His glory is prominently displayed throughout the universe. But, we are to be the salt of the earth, the light of the earth, etc. We are to reach out to them and spread the gospel into all the world. If not one atheist ever got saved from this, then maybe it would be a waste of time, but sometimes, it does work.

It's not a waste of your time to try.

• Agree
Reactions: Spookydawg77
Upvote 0

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is lots of proof, but atheists just fluff it off or try to science their way out of the proof. I find it mostly to be and pointless debate with them.

Please share any ounce of proof that you have. If you could prove the existence of your god, I would believe it exists, but would never worship it. I don't see the God of the Bible to be a loving, all powerful, and amazing being. The God of the Bible is childish, self-conscious, hateful, murderous, stupid, and a vile being. Why would anyone want to worship that?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Before I begin I just want to specify that I am a believer in Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I believe someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus Christ is Lord to God's glory. I also not only believe Jesus Christ but I also believe he is God in the flesh as mention in John (you know the passage that says the word was with God and the word is God, and the word became flesh). I do not believe I am saved though. I have surrendered to Jesus but I still sin. And it seems impossible to stop sinning. But I have committed my life to Jesus. But I still don't believe I am saved. I don't know if my motivations are acceptable to God or not. And I know if I will consistently obey Christ. I tend not be consistent. My flesh sometimes takes over. But my desire is to follow Christ and to live for him.

But one thing I notice is that the atheists are right about not having proof of the existence of God. So do we keep arguing with them? We don't have proof.

Our logics are different. For example, it doesn't make sense to me to say the world began by itself, but to an atheist it may make sense.

So, why do we keep arguing with them, and why do believers keep saying there's proof?

Why do I believe? Because I believe my parents, and I believe in the Biblical history, and I saw healing occur in the name of Jesus, I saw my sister get filled with the Holy Spirit, I saw the fruit in my parents lives and I don't believe they will lie about their experiences.

But me saying that I witness these events does not prove anything to atheists. It will be like saying I saw Santa Clause going down the chimney. So why don't we believers admit you are right we don't have proof?

Isn't God's job to prove himself to the unbelieving world? Paul said that he did not use man's wisdom to preach the gospel, but he did it by the demonstration of the Holy Spirit. If God does not give us the power to heal the sick or raise the dead, or any other power like he did the apostles, then how would we prove the existence of God?

And if we did possess the power to heal the sick, wouldn't atheists believe in God?

Thank you for your honesty.
OB

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please share any ounce of proof that you have. If you could prove the existence of your god, I would believe it exists, but would never worship it. I don't see the God of the Bible to be a loving, all powerful, and amazing being. The God of the Bible is childish, self-conscious, hateful, murderous, stupid, and a vile being. Why would anyone want to worship that?
Nah. I spent almost two decades showing proof to people and they dismiss it or wiggle their way out of it with long drawn out paragraphs as to why its not proof. Not wasting any more time with such things. In the end they will see the proof the hard way. Which is sad for me know, but you can only lead the horse to the water, can't force it to drink.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The bible also says we are without excuse, that His glory is prominently displayed throughout the universe. But, we are to be the salt of the earth, the light of the earth, etc. We are to reach out to them and spread the gospel into all the world. If not one atheist ever got saved from this, then maybe it would be a waste of time, but sometimes, it does work.

It's not a waste of your time to try.

You are probably right. I guess just don't know how. But I know I need to first turn from my sin completely. I am struggling. And I fail.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
There is lots of proof, but atheists just fluff it off or try to science their way out of the proof. I find it mostly to be and pointless debate with them.

Well, I am not a scientist. But I have seen documentaries. I guess I don't understand what that proof is. I can't argue something that I may not understand.

Science goes right over my head. I just don't see the proof, even with all the things that I learned.

Well, I have seen evidence through experience, just not through science.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Atheists don't want to believe. They love the world and their life is in tune with the program.

I know how hard it is myself. The world is very appealing. I love the things of this world as well, but I can't deny the truth about God. I know I can choose how I behave, but I can't choose the consequences. I know that scriptures say if you love the world, you are an enemy of God. I don't want to be his enemy any more.

Upvote 0

SaintNick

Jun 10, 2017
US
✟28,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
he God of the Bible is childish, self-conscious, hateful, murderous, stupid, and a vile being. Why would anyone want to worship that?
God is not a "being."
However I do see those traits as common in human beings. I've seen them in myself.
Some choose to worship the creator, some choose to worship celebrities.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In your thread title, you said that there is no evidence and in your thread you talked about how there was no proof, and these are two very different claims. Evidence is information that indicates that something is true, and if nothing indicated to people that God existed, then there would be no one who believed that He did. Your belief that Jesus is the Son of God did not spontaneously appear in your head uncaused, but rather the belief only was formed because some evidence indicated to you that it is true, such as with your experiences. So while there might not be proof that something is true, there can still be a great deal of evidence that it is most likely true. For example, if a friend tells you that they will do something, then you can't prove that they will, but you can still have sufficient evidence about their trustworthiness that can lead you to form the belief that they will do as they said. Likewise, you can't prove any historical event, but we still have good reason to believe that events are historical.

When you speak about proof, there are different types of proof, such as scientific or mathematical proofs. Science is a very useful tool, but it only tells us about things that are observable, measurable, and repeatable, so because God is not those things, it doesn't make much sense to demand scientific proof for the existence of God. However, there nevertheless are logical and metaphysical proofs for the existence of God, such as Aquinas' Five Ways.

There are hundreds of thousands of miracle claims, some of them that are medically documented, yet some people remain atheists.

You don't stop sinning the moment that you become saved, but rather our salvation involves being trained to do what is good and to refrain from sin (Titus 2:11-14).

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In your thread title, you said that there is no evidence and in your thread you talked about how there was no proof, and these are two very different claims. Evidence is information that indicates that something is true, and if nothing indicated to people that God existed, then there would be no one who believed that He did. Your belief that Jesus is the Son of God did not spontaneously appear in your head uncaused, but rather the belief only was formed because some evidence indicated to you that it is true, such as with your experiences. So while there might not be proof that something is true, there can still be a great deal of evidence that it is most likely true. For example, if a friend tells you that they will do something, then you can't prove that they will, but you can still have sufficient evidence about their trustworthiness that can lead you to form the belief that they will do as they said. Likewise, you can't prove any historical event, but we still have good reason to believe that events are historical.

When you speak about proof, there are different types of proof, such as scientific or mathematical proofs. Science is a very useful tool, but it only tells us about things that are observable, measurable, and repeatable, so because God is not those things, it doesn't make much sense to demand scientific proof for the existence of God. However, there nevertheless are logical and metaphysical proofs for the existence of God, such as Aquinas' Five Ways.

There are hundreds of thousands of miracle claims, some of them that are medically documented, yet some people remain atheists.

You don't stop sinning the moment that you become saved, but rather our salvation involves being trained to do what is good and to refrain from sin (Titus 2:11-14).

That was very informative.

Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I would join in congratulating you for your honesty...in my experience, it is rare...:oldthumbsup:

Keep this in mind though...the reasons you have given for your belief could equally be offered by a Muslim, or a Jew, or a Sikh. I imagine that they too have trust in their parents, would claim to see the 'spirit' of their god/s in others, would claim miracles in their name.

Can you see why many of us atheists simply lump all of you together under a label of 'unsupported claim'...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ajflyguy7

Aug 12, 2017
Central Coast, California
✟23,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God is not a "being."
However I do see those traits as common in human beings. I've seen them in myself.
Some choose to worship the creator, some choose to worship celebrities.
I don't worship anything, seems like a waste of time to me. A god who was worthy of worship wouldn't want us to worship him. He would want us to be happy and enjoy life, free from war, disease, poverty, hate, etc. and would intervene if required so that everyone lived an amazing life. The Christian God allows an elite few to live as kings while most of the world suffers. The god I imagine would be worthy of worship, yet he wouldn't require or desire it.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
science tends to try to get rid of the subjective or consciousness of a person. or they have an idea of it that will make conscious experiences to not be as valid as they would otherwise be. what i'm saying is that you can almost always evoke a mystical experience with certain drugs. carl jung warned against this because the user did not necessarily earn the experience, but it could be useful to some people.

or when atheist scientist experiment with consciousness they already assume that the whole experience is in the brain and body rather than there being entire other worlds that most are unaware of.

religion might have very well started due to psychedelics.

Upvote 0

Steven Calloway

Aug 14, 2017
Union, SC
✟16,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't worship anything, seems like a waste of time to me. A god who was worthy of worship wouldn't want us to worship him. He would want us to be happy and enjoy life, free from war, disease, poverty, hate, etc. and would intervene if required so that everyone lived an amazing life. The Christian God allows an elite few to live as kings while most of the world suffers. The god I imagine would be worthy of worship, yet he wouldn't require or desire it.
The Lord Jesus Christ does not allow for an elite few to love like Kings while the rest of this world suffers. No, no, my dear friend. You need to call your view of God into question here...... This God you would worship, does he ever force people to act a certain way? Does he force them to live how he wants them to live?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Lord Jesus Christ does not allow for an elite few to love like Kings while the rest of this world suffers. No, no, my dear friend. You need to call your view of God into question here...... This God you would worship, does he ever force people to act a certain way? Does he force them to live how he wants them to live?

'Coerce' would be a better word...

Upvote 0

Steven Calloway

Aug 14, 2017
Union, SC
✟16,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God does not and never will coerce anyone my friend. Jehovah God is a loving Father who has instituted free will in this world. To cross the line of free will and bend our will to his is to cross the line of perfect love which is something he absolutely cannot do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.