Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Whether or not you're my "brethren", it doesn't mean I have to agree with you 100% or even like a lot of what you do (and before you ask: 'you' is speaking generally). Stating fact is not a "diatribe".

I don't "rail" against anyone. I'm simply pointing out that most of the whining about losing one's religious freedom usually doesn't come from atheists; it comes from American Christians, who have absolutely no reason to whine about anything.
Ringo

Actually, you seem to have a hate-on for Christians all of the time. In fact, I remember you trying to ignore or downplay the persecution of Christians in China when it was brought to your attention during a thread you made about how awful Muslims are treated in that country.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians complaining about other people being sensitive is a hoot. I don't even necessarily agree with what the organization is doing, but people whose religion is a favored majority but still think they're a single step from persecution thinking that Atheists are thin-skinned....wow. Projection much?
Ringo
These atheists are pretty thin-skinned.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Fundamentally a reformation which did away with the Bible would now be just as valid as Luther’s doing away with the Pope. All that about the Bible has developed a religion of learning and law, a mere distraction. A little of that knowledge has gradually percolated to the simplest classes so that no one any longer reads the Bible humanly. As a result it does immeasurable harm; where life is concerned its existence is a fortification of excuses and escapes; for there is always something one has to look into first of all, and it always seems as though one had first of all to have the doctrine in perfect form before one could begin to live that is to say, one never begins. - Søren Kierkegaard

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
@FireDragon76

Do you agree with him?

Yes, though given his overall philosophy and theology, it's a bit hyperbolic as a stand-alone statement. The point is that being a Christian is not about being a Bible professor but having a living faith. One could have a living faith and be like the shoemaker in St. Anthony's vision that only prays once in the morning and then makes shoes all day. He didn't have a bible to study at all.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, though given his overall philosophy and theology, it's a bit hyperbolic as a stand-alone statement. The point is that being a Christian is not about being a Bible professor but having a living faith. One could have a living faith and be like the guy in St. Anthony's vision that only prays once in the morning and then makes shoes all day. He didn't have a bible to study at all.
Yes we are to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh (Romans 8). That actually came from the Bible.

You haven't a clue how Evangelicals live their lives for the Lord. You are engaging in liberal stereotyping and group think.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes we are to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh (Romans 8). That actually came from the Bible.

You haven't a clue how Evangelicals live their lives for the Lord. You are engaging in liberal stereotyping and group think.

It's true I don't know everything, but judging by how many evangelicals talk about theology and faith on this forum, "bible professorship" is very common.

FWIW, I'm OK with people having a Bible study in the White House. But I don't think its a critical issue for religious freedom. It's a symbolic issue, and symbols can become idols.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's true I don't know everything, but judging by how many evangelicals talk about theology and faith on this forum, "bible professorship" is very common.
It's a discussion forum heavy on theology. You are going to get bookish here. People discuss issues and provide documentary evidence in support of their position.

This is not church or the community ministries our churches are involved in.

I don't see you daily on the prayer walls. Should I conclude ELCA Lutherans don't pray for others?

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

Lion-Cat-Hat.jpg

As a reminder folks, the site rules include:
Address only the content of the post and not the poster.
Let's try to keep the focus on the topic and not about the faith status or such of other members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are they suing for? Why is it their business if there is a cabinet bible study or what the group is studying?
Scoping this issue I think the FFRF has heartburn over public facilities used for religious activities. In this case a Christian Bible Study. Already pointed out the Bible study materials and any other funding is provided by a private ministry. All I can see remaining is the facility use like a conference room not in use.

Yet gay pride events are widely publicized and paid for with government equal opportunity programs.

It's the old meme of you can have your religion in church or your home but not in public.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0