Sweden
✟199,040.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You guys are very nice aetheists. You'll fit in fine, but expect people to think your mean until they get to know you a little.

Would you say that is the default attitude towards atheists among Christians here..?

Reactions: Spikey
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Would you say that is the default attitude towards atheists among Christians here..?
There are just opposite beliefs. Running into aetheists on a Christian Forum is not what most expect. So the OP must realize that they are drawing a. Line in the sand, so to speak before a word is uttered. That can be hard.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All 'evidence' presented to me throughout my life has been insufficient, parents, family, friends, teachers, clergy etc. All I have ever been given to go on has not made sense to me in any way. The bible has been touted to me at certain points in my life, I have read it and found it to be disturbing and confusing to say the least.

You asked what type of evidence I would accept and I answered, I would like God to present himself to all, then we are all on a level playing field.

If you can't see the confusion even amongst people of your own religion, then you must think there has been clarity in the message???

Look at Jerusalem for just one example of needless tribalism.

Preachers preach a lot of stuff wrongly in a lot of times and places, even sometimes from one Sunday vs another. Lot's of confusion in many churches about what scripture really meant. But it's not men (preachers, teachers, etc.) we are trying to follow!...

We are trying to follow:

"Love one another"

"Love your neighbor as yourself"

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

He said more, but these are key, central things, He said to us, and reading how He said them -- both situations and more He said at those moments -- helps us powerfully, both like a good poem can help someone, but even more also.

Upvote 0

Spikey

Dec 6, 2017
Manchester
✟11,348.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Preachers preach a lot of stuff wrongly in a lot of times and places, even sometimes from one Sunday vs another. Lot's of confusion in many churches about what scripture really meant. But it's not men (preachers, teachers, etc.) we are trying to follow!...

We are trying to follow:

"Love one another"

"Love your neighbor as yourself"

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

He said more, but these are key, central things, He said to us, and reading how He said them -- both situations and more He said at those moments -- helps us powerfully, both like a good poem can help someone, but even more also.

You would think that there should be absolutely no confusion at all. You would think that a God would have found it really easy to communicate his message. You would think that a God that loves us would have made absolutely sure that absolutely no confusion could occur.
Unfortunately this is not the case as you well know, and as a result some people are not convinced that a God (who actually does care) exists at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You would think that there should be absolutely no confusion at all. You would think that a God would have found it really easy to communicate his message. You would think that a God that loves us would have made absolutely sure that absolutely no confusion could occur.
Unfortunately this is not the case as you well know, and as a result some people are not convinced that a God (who actually does care) exists at all.

That's right! Indeed, people always have made stuff up. I was just reading this, for instance. Just read this interesting chapter (link just below), about 1-2 minutes.

It's the way of life. Always new stuff being made up --

Ezekiel 18 NIV

Reactions: Spikey
Upvote 0

Spikey

Dec 6, 2017
Manchester
✟11,348.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
That's right! Indeed, people always have made stuff up. I was just reading this, for instance. Just read this interesting chapter (link just below), about 1-2 minutes.

It's the way of life. Always new stuff being made up --

Ezekiel 18 NIV

Thanks for that, interesting...

Upvote 0