The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the wake of this latest school shooting, which is causing anti-gun and anti-freedom leftists to lose their collective minds, there surely will be a run on certain items by law-abiding citizens afraid of more rights being taken away.

I have plenty of high capacity magazines for my two AR rifles, and I already have two AR rifles, which is one more than I really need. I learned my lesson years ago to be sure I have enough.

However, I have been doing a lot of reloading lately and am low on primers and powder, which I will rectify later today when I go to town.

I don't believe in hoarding and I usually just keep enough supplies on hand to keep me practicing and competing in matches for 2-3 months at a time.

However, I think it may be prudent to expand that supply out to a year or more due to the current climate.

I already have over a dozen magazines for my ARs, which I admittedly haven't shot in over a year. I bought my first one for coyote hunting and now that I live in WA, I don't hunt. Now it's strictly a SHTF rifle. The second one was purchased before the 2016 election and I've shot it once, to sight in the scope.

So, not going to buy any more ARs or high-capacity magazines. Just more primers and other reloading components to I can continue to enjoy competition shooting without worry.

How about you guys and gals?

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the wake of this latest school shooting, which is causing anti-gun and anti-freedom leftists to lose their collective minds, there surely will be a run on certain items by law-abiding citizens afraid of more rights being taken away.

I have plenty of high capacity magazines for my two AR rifles, and I already have two AR rifles, which is one more than I really need. I learned my lesson years ago to be sure I have enough.

However, I have been doing a lot of reloading lately and am low on primers and powder, which I will rectify later today when I go to town.

I don't believe in hoarding and I usually just keep enough supplies on hand to keep me practicing and competing in matches for 2-3 months at a time.

However, I think it may be prudent to expand that supply out to a year or more due to the current climate.

I already have over a dozen magazines for my ARs, which I admittedly haven't shot in over a year. I bought my first one for coyote hunting and now that I live in WA, I don't hunt. Now it's strictly a SHTF rifle. The second one was purchased before the 2016 election and I've shot it once, to sight in the scope.

So, not going to buy any more ARs or high-capacity magazines. Just more primers and other reloading components to I can continue to enjoy competition shooting without worry.

Unrelated question - have you ever fired the British SA80? If so could you sum up the differences with the AR15? Thanks

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Should the Lord lead me back to America, I'll probably just hire personal protection with a weapon. It'll be expensive, but at least I wouldn't have to handle a weapon myself (and I'd rather not). But I think you're good brother. Don't let the fear-mongers steal your rights. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Never fired the SA80. I was in the US military and only am familiar with our weapons.

Ok, thanks anyway. Do some AR variants have a burst mode? The SA80 has single shot, 3 round burst and full auto modes

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Should the Lord lead me back to America, I'll probably just hire personal protection with a weapon. It'll be expensive, but at least I wouldn't have to handle a weapon myself (and I'd rather not).

Chances are you won't need any armed protection. America is not even in the top 25 countries with the highest murder rates.

In fact, India has a rate of 3.21 murders per 100k residents. America has a 4.88. Seems much higher until you look at Venezuela with a 57.15 murder rate. Or El Salvador with an incredible rate of 108.64.

I work for a company that employs hundreds of Indians in roles as engineers and they love living here. They feel very safe in my very low-crime area.

Only the very populated urban areas have high crime rates. Most of America is very, very safe.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Chances are you won't need any armed protection. America is not even in the top 25 countries with the highest murder rates.

In fact, India has a rate of 3.21 murders per 100k residents. America has a 4.88. Seems much higher until you look at Venezuela with a 57.15 murder rate. Or El Salvador with an incredible rate of 108.64.

I work for a company that employs hundreds of Indians in roles as engineers and they love living here. They feel very safe in my very low-crime area.

Only the very populated urban areas have high crime rates. Most of America is very, very safe.
Oh I agree. Just wanted to play it safe at that age. Thanks for the stats though, quite illuminating. Peace brother:).

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, thanks anyway. Do some AR variants have a burst mode? The SA80 has single shot, 3 round burst and full auto modes

The M16A3 and M4A1 rifles function in either the semiautomatic or automatic mode. The M16A2, M16A4, and M4 carbine function in either the semiautomatic or three-round burst mode.

The rifle I was issued was an M4.

My brother is a SWAT team member and has an old Vietnam-era M16A1 rifle issued to him which is either semiautomatic or fully automatic.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The M16A3 and M4A1 rifles function in either the semiautomatic or automatic mode. The M16A2, M16A4, and M4 carbine function in either the semiautomatic or three-round burst mode.

The rifle I was issued was an M4.

My brother is a SWAT team member and has an old Vietnam-era M16A1 rifle issued to him which is either semiautomatic or fully automatic.

Thanks. Can the M4 and the other variants you mention be easily fired from the left shoulder?

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I try to buy a small amount (like 1 box) of ammunition every week. Encourages the stores by moving their inventory, and tends to "level off" the effects of panic buying.

With investments, this is called "cost averaging"...

• Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

FWIW, I don't think there's going to be any real anti-gun action at the federal level. There doesn't appear to be any interest in it there. States might do so. I think a good example of what the anti-gunners will be able to do is in the case of the Las Vegas shooting. Far more people died there, and there was no federal action against guns. There may have been some bump fire stock bans in various places, but not anything against AR15s (which I've noticed news outlets referring to as AM-15 for some reason. Maybe they'll ban AM-15s, and that would be fine by me).

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ok, thanks for the info. That’s the big issue with the SA80,you can’t fire it left handed without tilting it so much to avoid the cocking handle & ejected rounds that your elbow sticks right out etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I started reloading about 6-7 years ago and went whole hog. I don't buy a gun caliber today without buying the loading dies if I don't already have them. I had a heart attack in 2012 and shortly after going back to work I got a hospital acquired infection. (Tell anti-gun people that HAI's kill over 75,000 people each year and that is from the CDC.) After having half my chest scraped out, a month healing, and being on antibiotics for 5 weeks the Dr. wouldn't let me shoot so I went out and started reloading for therapy. I am not going to say how many I loaded but imagine being bored silly, having nothing else to do for 7 of 9 full weeks, and access to a quiet garage, my Christian music, and a fully stocked reloading store within walking distance (therapy to walk too). I pulled that handle a lot of times. A LOT of times. I learned how to disassemble different rounds and make usable bullets from calibers I didn't have, but which were real cheap surplus. I also got a bullet puller for each caliber, digital scale, balance scale, hand primer..., the whole shebang. I haven't loaded in a while because I am still shooting those I loaded. I also barter with them for guns and survival equipment as practice for when 6 .38's will get you half a loaf of bread and 4 more .357's the whole loaf and 10 .45's for a quarter of a cow. Most importantly, I had a lot of conversations with my Lord and Savior and I wouldn't trade much of anything for that time with Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
FWIW, I don't think there's going to be any real anti-gun action at the federal level. There doesn't appear to be any interest in it there. States might do so. I think a good example of what the anti-gunners will be able to do is in the case of the Las Vegas shooting. Far more people died there, and there was no federal action against guns. There may have been some bump fire stock bans in various places, but not anything against AR15s (which I've noticed news outlets referring to as AM-15 for some reason. Maybe they'll ban AM-15s, and that would be fine by me).
We have been using MSR for Modern Sport Rifle which is the reason for it's rise in popularity. I think it is the most awesome gun to hog hunt with because when you come upon a sounder of hogs with cutters the size of elephant tusks, and they break and run at you in a panic, trust me. You want to shoot a lot and fast. I also like the fact that it is so light I can carry it all day, and I can customize mine with lights, laser, fitted grips, scope, and interchangeable calibers (within reason, of course). Modern Sport Rifle is a perfect name for it.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I try to buy a small amount (like 1 box) of ammunition every week. Encourages the stores by moving their inventory, and tends to "level off" the effects of panic buying.

With investments, this is called "cost averaging"...
Since I reload I tend to buy a box of the .22LR, .22 short, .22 magnums, and shotgun shells I don't. Then I will buy a box of bullets. Next week a pound of powder. The next 3-4 boxes of primers. like you say, cost averaging.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh I agree. Just wanted to play it safe at that age. Thanks for the stats though, quite illuminating. Peace brother:).
The CDC states that we lose 75,000 people per year from Hospital Acquired Infections. (I am sensitive to that becasue I nearly died from one.) 6 years later I am still dealing with kidney damage, loss of muscle, inability to exercise as I wish I could..., not from the heart attack. From the infection. So, your chances of surviving a day on the street are much better than surviving after an operation to save your life or as simple as a light nip and tuck. I wasn't saved by the doctors or hospitals. I was saved by my belief in Jesus Christ and that if He had more for me to do, then lead me to it. I am still working on that but Jesus has used me to help affect lives in a positive way. Meanwhile. I get to hunt and fish in this beautiful world that our God saw fit to make us stewards of.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The CDC states that we lose 75,000 people per year from Hospital Acquired Infections. (I am sensitive to that becasue I nearly died from one.) 6 years later I am still dealing with kidney damage, loss of muscle, inability to exercise as I wish I could..., not from the heart attack. From the infection. So, your chances of surviving a day on the street are much better than surviving after an operation to save your life or as simple as a light nip and tuck. I wasn't saved by the doctors or hospitals. I was saved by my belief in Jesus Christ and that if He had more for me to do, then lead me to it. I am still working on that but Jesus has used me to help affect lives in a positive way. Meanwhile. I get to hunt and fish in this beautiful world that our God saw fit to make us stewards of.
Thank you, sir. I'll still seek protection, if I can afford it :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
People in my state are attempting to get a ballot measure that would ban ALL semi auto rifles and pistols as well as high capacity magazines. I just bought a PCC so I will be ordering magazines for it, assuming I will get to keep them if this crazy measure actuals gets on the ballot and passes. I'll also probably start loading up on ammo because I can see this state try to follow the insane rules of California when it comes to purchasing it. Otherwise I'm pretty much set with everything.

• Agree
Upvote 0