Are we saved when we get doctrine 100% correct?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Theological doctrines are secondary to the core problem that Jesus died to free us from - the problem of sin.

There are signs and evidences that someone is saved and have belief in Christ. What is belief? Peter shows it is the opposite of disobedience, which should give some people who believe obedience is works, pause.

Obedient
1 Peter 2:7 "Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient..."

True repentance from sin, after which Jesus gives His gift of the Holy Spirit
Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

Evidences of having received the Holy Spirit, without which you are not saved.

Dead to sin
Romans 6:2 "How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?"

Not in the flesh (have overcome fleshly desires)
Romans 8:8-9
8 "So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His."

Does not commit willful sins
1 John 3:9 " 9 "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?

People aren't saved by doctrine, they're saved by following Christ. Jesus didn't say learn doctrine, He said, "follow Me". There are a multitude of false doctrines that are taught as Christian today. I'd submit that most of Christianity believes false doctrines. So, if it was doctrine that saved there wouldn't be many who were saved. Some of the most universally believed doctrines among Christians are not Biblical. For instance, the belief that Christians go to Heaven when they die. It's taught nowhere in Scripture. It's actually a teaching of Plato that enter Christianity from Gnostic sources. So, no, 100% correct doctrine is not necessary.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is a challenging question because if doctrine doesn’t matter, it’s fair to ask why it even exists in the first place.

The other issue is that believing in the right doctrine absolutely can and will save you. Otherwise God is a liar.

So I guess what it comes down to is which doctrines should be believed. And YMMV.

Upvote 0

Berl

Jan 22, 2018
Missoula
✟5,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
I would say you have an identity crisis from following in traditions footsteps rather than awakening to who you are in Christ, the trick question being how can Christ be in you the dwelling place of God and also be in Christ if you are someone other than what Christ was representing? divine amnesia is a curable sickness if one dares to claim who they are, heal thyself doc.

Upvote 0