Are we saved when we get doctrine 100% correct?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?

Reactions: Cowwy

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days...

The only way into Hell is to reject God's Holy Spirit intentionally and permanently.
All other Sins are forgiven by God as you recognise them and repent.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
If perfect doctrine is what is required for salvation... then A. nobody is saved and B. we wouldn't have needed messiah to come and do what he did.

The bible speaks of babies.... on milk and then progressing to meat eventually. That is like the new Christian who only knows enough to call Yeshua Lord but doesn't understand deeper things and shouldn't be expected to... until they grow over time. We, in this fallen imperfect state... will NEVER have 100% understanding of God's word and so either we are all lost or salvation is purely a heart condition and the learning comes from a heart that turns to God and is simply part of the process of growing up in Him.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Salvation come by the new birth, not doctrine. Doctrine determines the quality of your walk with Christ. Either your doctrine helps you to be strong in the Spirit, or a defeated natural minded believer.

• Agree
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved?

No ... because noone has doctrine 100% correct.

Salvation is about accepting an invitation to relationship with Christ ... and letting Him sort everything else out.

"Come to ME, all you who labor and are heavily laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

We are saved by believing Jesus and trusting 100% in the Atonement He secured to save us.... People who believe that are saved.. People who reject that are damned..

So works salvation believers reject that they are saved 100% by the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ.. They declare that their personal works play a part in their own salvation.. So works salvation believers are not saved because they have rejected the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ to obtain for them eternal life with God...

So there are Core salvational doctrines that people must embrace to be saved.. Reject those core salvational doctrines and then you shall not be saved..

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The only way into Hell is to reject God's Holy Spirit intentionally and permanently.

I agree and that's very well put.

If perfect doctrine is what is required for salvation... then A. nobody is saved and B. we wouldn't have needed messiah to come and do what he did.

The bible speaks of babies.... on milk and then progressing to meat eventually. That is like the new Christian who only knows enough to call Yeshua Lord but doesn't understand deeper things and shouldn't be expected to... until they grow over time. We, in this fallen imperfect state... will NEVER have 100% understanding of God's word and so either we are all lost or salvation is purely a heart condition and the learning comes from a heart that turns to God and is simply part of the process of growing up in Him.

Good point. I was like that too until the Holy Spirit helped me understand things like the Trinity and that Jesus is God. I didn't understand these things before nor did I really understand Eternal Security or the Faith alone doctrine.

My answer is also "No."
But that doesn't mean someone can not be 'too wrong' about the doctrine.

What do you mean?

No ... because noone has doctrine 100% correct.

Salvation is about accepting an invitation to relationship with Christ ... and letting Him sort everything else out.

"Come to ME, all you who labor and are heavily laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Doesn't the Holy Spirit guide us into all truth though? Like for me personally, I didn't believe in the Trinity and that Jesus was God as some people on these forums might remember. But, over the years the Holy Spirit has guided me to the truth that the Trinity is in fact, correct and that Jesus is God the son. So if the HS guides us into all truth doesn't that mean that many people would have doctrine 100% correct? It's something to think about.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't the Holy Spirit guide us into all truth though? Like for me personally, I didn't believe in the Trinity and that Jesus was God as some people on these forums might remember. But, over the years the Holy Spirit has guided me to the truth that the Trinity is in fact, correct and that Jesus is God the son. So if the HS guides us into all truth doesn't that mean that many people would have doctrine 100% correct? It's something to think about.

If we're still here, ... I would assume that the Holy Spirit is still guiding into ALL truth, ... indicating that we're not 100% of the way there yet ...

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We are saved by believing Jesus and trusting 100% in the Atonement He secured to save us.... People who believe that are saved.. People who reject that are damned..

So works salvation believers reject that they are saved 100% by the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ.. They declare that their personal works play a part in their own salvation.. So works salvation believers are not saved because they have rejected the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ to obtain for them eternal life with God...

So there are Core salvational doctrines that people must embrace to be saved.. Reject those core salvational doctrines and then you shall not be saved..

Interesting viewpoint. I disagree that works based salvationists cannot be saved. I mean, they believe in Jesus and all who believe in Jesus will be saved as the bible says (John 3:16, John 6:37-6:40 and many other verses).

If we're still here, ... I would assume that the Holy Spirit is still guiding into ALL truth, ... indicating that we're not 100% of the way there yet ...

Perhaps. It was just a thought. We probably will know 100% of doctrine when we die. I mean we can just ask Jesus and the Holy Spirit ourselves what doctrines are correct and which are false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Interesting viewpoint. I disagree that works based salvationists cannot be saved. I mean, they believe in Jesus and all who believe in Jesus will be saved as the bible says (John 3:16, John 6:37-6:40 and many other verses).

Works salvationists do not believe 100% in Jesus to save them... They believe that they play a part in providing the payment for their own salvation by their works..

I have no doubt that satan believes Jesus exists but he shall not be saved.. muslims believe in a jesus of the quran and mormons believe in a jesus of mormonisim and likewise works salvationists believe in their jesus construct .. They all have another jesus .... Not the real LORD Jesus Christ..

2 Corinthians 11: KJV
3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. {4} For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him."

Upvote 0

Instrument150

Aug 6, 2017
Pensacola
✟14,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello,

This is a difficult question that has a lot of contingencies.

The ONLY thing that gives salvation is Yeshua Jesus Christ. If you have truly received this gift, you will know by the fruit you produce.

Now, if your doctrine is WRONG, and you speak it out loud, you have commited the sin of bearing false witness. If you remain non repentant of this sin, your name will be blotted out. Only study in the true Word of God can offer you insight into whether or not what you are saying is a lie if you do not already know. And, if you are trusting a doctrine more than the Word of God, and thus reading it to understand the manner in which you can be saved, then you are committing the sin of idolatry. Doctrines may have good things in them, such as ALL things have some truth in them. That's what makes them believable lies. It is your job to test everything that comes across your brain to the Word of God, and find out of which spirit it is born.

Upvote 0

Living Soul

Aug 28, 2017
New England
✟21,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, God the Father is the judge and jury on who gets saved and who does not. His grace alone allows people in to Heaven, and He has fortunately made a contract with us that whoever believes in His Holy Son as their salvation, they will be permitted to enter into Heaven.

However, for those who have never had the chance to hear or read the Gospel, they will be judged less harshly than those who have. Furthermore, those who preach and witness the Gospel to others will be judged even more harshly still.

For those who are unborn or too young to understand the contract God has made with us, they are exempt from judgement.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

What kind of works will damn you? Revelation says we will be judged BY our works, and James says faith without works is dead. The works Paul spoke about were circumcision and Mosaic laws such as meats and days. We are not saved because we've been circumcised or keep kosher and Sabbath. Or not saved because we aren't and don't. I would suggest you let God do the judging, for by what measure you judge others God will judge you. The laws of the New Testament are belief in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ AND loving your neighbor as yourself. 1 John 3:23. That second commandment IS a work. It is done through the Holy Spirit, and without the Holy Spirit we do not belong to Christ. Romans 8:9. Remember, even the demons believe and tremble.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

I agree with you. One thing I've been judged for is my stance on NOT judging Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses. My spirit hurts when I hear teachers say these cults have a 'different Jesus.' They do not! They base their beliefs about Jesus on the Protestant Bible and are saved by His blood. They also believe Jesus is the Creator. Yes they include works, but James said faith without works is dead, so there again I'm not judging them. Better to do good works, than the belief that grace is a license to sin. That is NOT one of the beliefs of Ms and JWs. If I were judging, I would say Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses have a better chance than those who believe they can willfully sin and it is automatically forgiven. But I'm not judging others, only myself.

I didn't realize that Jesus was actually GOD until AFTER I was born again and filled with the Holy Spirit in 1977. I still have it written in the Bible I bought in 1985 at the age of 38, so it was sometime after that when I first had that revelation reading Titus. I wrote "JESUS IS GOD!" It blew my mind!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
very simply NO.
May I suggest you help out in your churches youngest age group where the gospel is explained.
How many of them can debate the details of theology, yet they can profess faith in Jesus.
Or look at the bible. How much theology did the repentant thief know, yet he was saved.

God is gracious he knows what we understand and what baffles us and he will save us based on what we believe and not on what proffessors of religeon say we should believe.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To the original question, no. No one ever gets "doctrine" 100% correct.

A person is saved when God transforms their heart and regenerates them solely by His grace and when He causes them to repent of their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. The Christian is then sanctified in the truth of God throughout his or her lifetime, but this side of the grave, no one, not one person will ever have doctrine 100% correct.

Calvinists [...] would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs.

Defend this assertion. Where are Calvinists wrong? Demonstrate this using proper exegesis of scripture.

Also, are you claim non-Calvinists do not have wrong beliefs? Really?

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)!

Mormons are not Christians, they are polytheistic, proving that they are not Christian. And if a Roman Catholic is saved it is in spite of the teachings of Rome, because Rome does not have the gospel of Jesus Christ.

The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are.

If they deny that Jesus is God, no, they are not saved, because they have created a false idol.

If you deny the truth of Jesus Christ, you do not know Him. An analogy, if I go to the White House in Washington DC and believe that the President of the USA is a 4 foot tall blond woman named Regina Simpson, and I say to let me in, because I know President Regina, are they going to let me in? No, of course not, because there is no President Regina Simpson of the USA.

Jesus is God, if you don't know Him and He does not know you, you do not, do not, have eternal life in Him. Perfect correct doctrine is not what saves you, however, if you believe the wrong things about God, you simply do not know Him, and you are still dead in your sins.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is through the grace of the Father that we will never be 100%. We are in sinful flesh. While we are, we cannot be 100%. Grace (from the Father) is merely his perfect patience in understanding of our weakness. While we are weak through the flesh, he is stronger in our spirit.

2 Corinth:
7 h]">[h]And lest I should be exalted out of measure through the abundance of revelations, there was given unto me a i]">[i]prick in the flesh, the messenger of j]">[j]Satan to buffet me, because I should not be exalted out of measure.
8 For this thing I besought the Lord k]">[k]thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect through weakness. l]">[l]Very gladly therefore will I rejoice rather in mine infirmities, that the power of Christ may m]">[m]dwell in me.
10 Therefore I take n]">[n]pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in anguish for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Christ is full of grace and wisdom which comes of the spirit. Luke 2:40

As a side note, the OT God didn't have this perfect grace. Which is why there is so much death and destruction by him. And why Jesus said he was a liar and murderer from the beginning.

We were shown true grace by the son, who saves us through that grace.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

It is meaningless to say all you need to do is believe or have faith without having a correct understanding about what it is that we are supposed to believe or have faith about. Even the demons believe that Jesus resurrected, so that belief doesn't do anyone any good unless they understand what Jesus accomplished through the resurrection and what means for how we should live our lives. It doesn't do someone any good to confess that Jesus is Lord without understanding what it means to submit to him as Lord and doing so.

The example of what it means to be a believer is Abraham, the father of our faith, who believed God's promise above everything else that the world so much so that he reason that if he offered Isaac, then God would resurrect him from the dead in order to fulfill His promise that through Isaac his offspring shall be reckoned. So while I have no doubt that everyone who is a believer will have eternal life, I'm not sure that everyone who says that they are believer is one or even correctly understands what it means to be one, especially those who think that believing something just means mentally affirming it to be true. Abraham believed God so he was justified and Abraham believed God, so he didn't hesitate to obey God's commands, but rose early the next morning to leave. Every example of saving faith in Hebrews 11 is also an example of someone living in obedience to God.

With that said, if we needed 100% correct doctrine to be saved, then heaven would be a rather empty place. So I would agree that we don't need 100% correct doctrine, yet God must also have a minimum standard of what it means to be believer in order to distinguish between those who are and those who are not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

It doesn't do any good to say that we need to repent of our sins if someone doesn't have a correct understanding of what it means to repent and what our sins are. In other words, when Jesus began his ministry by telling people the Gospel message to repent from their sins for the Kingdom of God was at hand, what was he telling them to do? How did the people know what sin is? Will the Holy Spirit lead us to do what God has revealed to be sin? And what is the Kingdom of God?

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0