Are we saved when we get doctrine 100% correct?

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We are saved by believing Jesus and trusting 100% in the Atonement He secured to save us.... People who believe that are saved.. People who reject that are damned..

So works salvation believers reject that they are saved 100% by the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ.. They declare that their personal works play a part in their own salvation.. So works salvation believers are not saved because they have rejected the Atonement of the LORD Jesus Christ to obtain for them eternal life with God...

So there are Core salvational doctrines that people must embrace to be saved.. Reject those core salvational doctrines and then you shall not be saved..

Do you disagree that these verses describe our salvation as being trained by grace to do works?

Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

If you disagree, then why?

Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12
Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers a great many sins.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

In James chapter 2 It says basically, show me your faith without love, and I'll show you my faith by love.

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved? I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation. Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic. Calvinists and Mormons would not be saved either because of their wrong beliefs. Not to mention the Seventh Day Adventists. But, this cannot be the case as we are not saved by getting doctrine 100% correct we are saved by faith in Christ. Also Jesus says in John 6:37-6:40

"All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day."

What comforting words from a wonderful and forgiving savior! Jesus will never drive us away and will not lose a single believer! That means that Catholics, Mormons, Calvinists, Seventh Day Adventists... ALL who come to Christ for salvation will be saved (John 3:16)! So, I don't want to hear anymore condemnation anymore. I want ALL Christian denominations to come together. We should all get along as believers in Christ instead of divide.

Anyway, the bible is extremely clear that we are saved by faith alone by grace alone. The bible is extremely clear that once we are saved we can never lose our salvation (John 6:37-40, John 10:28-29). The bible is extremely clear that the trinity is real and that Jesus is the God of the Old Testament (John 1:1-3 plus many other areas of the bible) but yet so many people believe none of these. Are they saved? I believe they are. Because in the end it's not getting doctrine 100% correct that saves you. It's faith in our Lord's death, burial and resurrection. It's faith in the Gospel. It's our Lord's precious blood that was shed for the entire world. It's coming to the Lord as the filthy rotten sinners that we are and saying "Forgive me Lord for I am a dirty rotten sinner!"). Now I realize people won't agree with me but, I'm curious as to what people believe on this subject. Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
We are saved when we admit that we are sinners, believe that Jesus is God and he died on the cross, and confess our sins to Him. From that moment on, we are Christians. Period.

My belief is that if you go on in life only knowing the one thing about who Jesus is then you get the point of the Bible to reach Heaven. Beyond that, nothing is required. But in order for us to receive rewards in Heaven and also have a blessed life on Earth, we must glorify Him, which is why us as Christians should take it a step further. But it doesn't affect whether you go to Heaven or not by how much you know the doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have a big question that's been bothering me the last couple of days. Are people who don't have doctrine 100% (or even 30% correct) saved?
If you mean "must ones doctrinal understanding be absolutely perfect in order to be saved", the answer is (obviously) "no".

I mean, if that were the case Catholics would not be saved because they believe in a works based salvation.
Nonsense, we believe no such thing. You're merely repeating the rubbish that you've always been told.

Not to mention all of the other crazy stuff that they believe and do that I'm not going to get into in this topic.
Then perhaps you shouldn't have brought it up.

• Agree
Reactions: toberebornn
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"doctrine 100% correct?" Whats 100% to you? For me.. its Yeshua/Jesus came in the flesh. Died on the cross for the worlds sins. Was buried. Rose the 3rd day is the ONLY way to the Father PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS.

Now some ADD this some take away. As in more books... some take away as in the letters from Paul. I am NO GOD and I get no say what so ever on who enters heaven. Can we believe what I just posted which is the gospel the good news. Can we freely thenb ADD to that take away and STILL get in through Jesus? I see many are blind..they love Jesus. Jesus did say "if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains....

I have always said.. or believed.. no one has the 100% gospel. We are a body. Yet there are parts that try to be the body.. of this I have no say. To once HEAR the truth and then NOT believe.. scary place to walk.

Jesus is real.. the sweet sweet holy Spirit is real. So.. when a person hears the truth about Yeshua.. they want to repent.. it is the Holy Spirit that convicted there heart not me. Some really love Jesus..but dont really KNOW how REAL He is.

• Agree
Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I wish people would study catholic doctrine before criticise it using the usual playbook of anti catholic myths.

Hello,

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

Good point, it has been my belief as well. Since faith is a gift and not merited, then your amount of knowledge doesn't qualify or disqualify your salvation. Before the printing press, few had copies of the Bible to study. Knowledge of the average person was basic. First century Christians knew a fraction of what we know today.
Christian principals have spread through the world and are practiced even outside of Christianity. My father was an atheist. He taught us the most important truth to live by was the Golden Rule. Later in life I learned this came from Jesus, my Dad wasn't even aware of it. He thought civilization created this principal. Before he died he changed his mind about God ... well, God finally got his attention.
The thief on the cross next to Jesus had little doctrinal knowledge -- everyone would agree, but He believed in Jesus and confessed it. Those who believe in Him, will be saved. Of course the Bible tells us to grow in the knowledge of the Lord, but God knows His own, he chooses them, calls them, justifies them, sanctifies them and teaches them on many different levels.
We are fallible, still have sin in the members of our flesh and the Devil tries to trip us up and divide us. If you can divide a group, they are less effective. He's doing a good job in the U.S. - we are more dived now than we were 50 years ago. God factors in our failures and misunderstandings. If we all had to pass a doctrinal test to get in, most would fail.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I wish people would study catholic doctrine before criticise it using the usual playbook of anti catholic myths.

I agree. As much as I have issues with most all Orthodox religions, I would never judge the people who make them up.

Mark:
38 ¶ t]">[t]Then John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils by thy Name, which followeth not us, and we forbade him, because he followeth us not.
39 ¶ But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man that can do a miracle by my Name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
40 For whosoever is not against us, is on our part.

Love of Christ is measured in the heart. Not the religion.

Reactions: Te're'sa
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello,

Short answer: No

To be saved you have to accept Jesus as Lord and walk with Him. As simple as that. When you're not walking with Him, and denying Jesus as your Lord, you are rejecting salvation. Doesn't mean God's grace won't be upon you, and doesn't mean you won't receive some blessing. But by rejecting salvation, its saying " No thanks God, I like being a sinner!"

The thief on the cross if you were to compare what he did, to maybe someone who's been part of the body of Christ for many years and labored for many years, the thief didn't do much charity. He barely did anything. But because He had faith, he believed in Jesus, he repented, from that Jesus said that he will be in paradise.

Jesus addressed this scenario between those who labored long, and those who labored shortly, those who recognized God but had such wealth, and those who had given up alot, literally walked with Jesus, and saw it was unfair that those with less work had a chance (Matthew 19:16-28, Matthew 20).

Walking with Him, doesn't mean we will be perfect, but be made perfect. It doesn't mean every choice we make will be perfectly aligned, nor mean that we know all of the doctrine, but that our hearts are on the things of God, and through that, our faith is made perfect. It's a process of refinement. Every. Single. Day.

Everyone is still a sinner, whether or not you believe in Jesus or not. But by believing in Him, we no longer need to have identity with sin, we have rights to be called children of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If perfect doctrine is what is required for salvation... then A. nobody is saved and B. we wouldn't have needed messiah to come and do what he did.
"Think not that I am come to abolish the law. No, it is because you need right doctrine. The doctrine you Israelites had before (which came from me, incidentally) wasn't good enough so now... here I am! Oh, and I might get crucified too. But, hey, omelettes and eggs, am I right?"
#ThingsJesusNeverSaid

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Think not that I am come to abolish the law. No, it is because you need right doctrine. The doctrine you Israelites had before (which came from me, incidentally) wasn't good enough so now... here I am! Oh, and I might get crucified too. But, hey, omelettes and eggs, am I right?"
#ThingsJesusNeverSaid
Not sure I know if you are agreeing with me and being funny, or disagreeing through downright snarkiness? :) Doctrine is not what saves us... the work that messiah did is what saves us. We come into the faith knowing nothing and we are discipled (made students) and we grow. Should we die before we really get into the being-a-student-process, I think God still takes us even though we didn't learn enough to have great doctrine.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do not regard doctrine as essential or even particularly useful.

Micah 6:8 ...........And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to walk humbly with your God.
I get what you are saying and agree to a point Jack. But we have too many places where we are encouraged to seek sound doctrine, or study to learn and grow, etc. It has it's place... but not above the work of messiah or our faith in his word and work.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello,......... Do we have to get doctrine 100% correct to be saved?
No - of course not.

But doctrine is very important whether or not it impacts our eternal destiny.

Having said that - there is incorrect doctrine which seems to indicate a different way of salvation than a simple trust in the work of Jesus Christ for salvation. We see it here often in the "soteriology" section of the forums.

I would never be absolutely dogmatic about pronouncing a person who claimed to believe on Jesus as not saved. That is true in many cases no matter how different his doctrine is from what I believe - even if it seemed to me to be preaching another gospel - one based on works.

But I will always correct those who seemed to me to be preaching a works based salvation and I would do it sooner and more forcefully than I would correct almost any other wrong doctrine.

As a for instance - I would never take as much time debating a Mormon about Jesus being divine in the way I believe Him to be, or a Catholic about the immaculate conception of Mary, or an Adventist about soul sleep, or many other doctrinal differences - as I would zero in on their conception of what it takes to be saved and stay saved.

I'd spend all my time on that particular concept and pass the others by simply because I believe that concept to be "Hell vs. Heaven" important much more so than the others are.

Before someone unloads on me about those example beliefs - I will say again that doctrine in general is very, very important to me.

I am not a 5-point Calvinist as some of you know. But I will say now that I find some of the non-Calvinist doctrine expressed in some of these debates to be of much more concern along the "what it takes to be saved and stay saved" lines than that of Calvinists (provided, of course, that they are evangelical Calvinists).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

respectfully snipped...

I am not sure if this is a serious question or not given the first paragraph... You ask about doctrine and then go onto say all these other faith groups are wrong.... Who determines which doctrine is the correct doctrine in the first place?

PS... your groups interpretation of scripture doesn't determine universal doctrine it only determines the doctrine your group proclaims.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I would say you have to get the "doctrine of Christ" 100% correct because we are told to abide in the doctrine of Christ or we do not have God.

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son." (2 John 1:9).

John in his epistles mentions the importance of God's grace (confessing one's sins to the Lord), knowing the deity of Christ (with the Lord coming into the flesh of a man) and in loving others (like our brother), and keeping God's commandments. But the doctrine of Christ could be simply everything Jesus taught us in the gospels like love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself; Preaching the gospel, loving your enemies, helping the poor, doing things in secret before God, etc. Another possibility of that the words "doctrine of Christ" is mentioned in Hebrews 6:1. This talks about repentance, and faith towards God. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). The doctrine of Christ can also be all the essential teachings from the Lord that relates to our salvation that we need to know and live out (Which can include even the many writings of Paul). Anyways, my suggestion is pray and seek the Scriptures for yourself on what the "doctrine of Christ" actually is.

Granted, not understanding every teaching in the Bible properly is not a salvation issue. For example: If you did not pray the Lord's prayer exactly correct or if you have traditional church fellowship instead of New Testament house fellowship, it is not going to effect your salvation. But there are truths in God's Word that you have to come to accept and even act upon correctly. For example: You have to accept that we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace (Ephesians 2:8-9) (When we repent and accept Christ and the gospel); And this grace that saves leads us into a life of holiness and obedience (For without holiness no man shall see the Lord - Hebrews 12:14). Also, you cannot hate your brother, because John says that if any man hates his brother he is like a murderer and no eternal life abides within them (See 1 John 3:15).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: Q: "Do we have to get "doctrine" 100% correct to be "saved"?"

A: No. The ultimate summaries of "CHURCH""doctrine" are found in the "Creeds"...The "We believes..."...The Nicene/Apostle's "Creeds".

Belief in doctrinal creeds does not save. They were given by spirit-led men to prevent heresies...i.e. FALSE DOCTRINE.

TRUE DOCTRINE is found in the ABSOLUTE SPIRITUAL TRUTHS spiritually discerned in the miraculous Bible.

BUT: doctrine is important to Believers in their PROCESS of SANCTIFICATION, maturing in Christ.

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed,
accurately handling the "word of truth".

Colossians 1:5
because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the "word of truth", the "gospel"

Matthew 15:9
‘But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’”

AS DOCTRINES...Greek 1319...didaskalia...I.teaching, instruction, precepts

THE PRECEPTS...Greek 1778...entalma...an injunction, religious precept:—commandment.

1 Timothy 4:6...[A Good Minister’s Discipline]
In pointing out these things to the brethren,
you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.

Titus 1:9
holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Short answer: Do we need to have all our theology 100% correct in order to be saved? No.

Long answer: Do we need to have all our theology 100% correct in order to be saved? No.

Salvation is by God's grace, not works. And yes, if we say we need all our theology to be correct then we are saying our works save us, because beliefs, ideas, and thoughts are works.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Post#21 RESPONSE:
Q: "Do you disagree that these verses describe our salvation as being "trained" by grace to do works?"
A: Yes.
You have the spiritual cart before the horse.

BELIEVE unto the salvation EVENT...THEN...FOLLOW the guidance of God the Holy Spirit unto GOOD WORKS during sanctification.

Ephesians 2: 4-5,8-10
4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,
5 MADE US ALIVE with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions
it is by grace (unmerited Love/Mercy/favor) you have been saved.
8 For by GRACE (Love/Mercy) you have been SAVED through FAITH(BELIEF);
and that (FAITH/BELIEF) not of yourselves,
it is the (spiritual) GIFT of God;
9 NOT as a result of WORKS, so that no one may boast.
10 For we are His workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Upvote 0